Dr. Amanda Karlen, PSY.D

Counseling •  Female • Age 39

Dr. Karlen
Telehealth services available
4209 W Shamrock Ln Unit C McHenry, IL 60050

Dr. Amanda Karlen, PSY.D is a Counselor in McHenry, IL. She is accepting new patients and has indicated that she accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Karlen to book an appointment.

Compare with other Counselors

Compare Dr. Karlen with our nearby Counselors at Northwestern Medicine McHenry Hospital.

Make an appointment at Northwestern Medicine McHenry Hospital today at (815) 310-3420.

provider hospital

These providers are on the medical staff of Northwestern Medicine McHenry Hospital.

Dr. Karlen's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Karlen

4.3

Dr. Karlen?
Dr. Amanda Karlen is the cream of the crop, crème de la crème, bee’s knees, the elite, the best of the best. I always felt comfortable with Dr. Karlen from the get go, but surprisingly that only grew. Her array of approaches, her ability to fully listen, watch and respond, adjust her approaches to what came about, along with unmatchable instincts over time made me able and continues to make me able to share completely, honestly and without fear so that she can help me heal and improve who I am and my situations. She is not the only one I have seen over the years, but she is the one who made the difference and continues too, which is why she is the best of the best. I went through hard times before her and some really hard times while seeing her. She deals with everything from my PTSD, to anxiety, relationships, work all aspects of life. I never was able to see anything but the worst case scenario, I couldn’t let things go and even when I thought I had, they were still affecting me unt
Lisa L – Nov 23, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Amanda Karlen, PSY.D?
I have known Dr. Karlen for many years. She is highly intelligent, creative, kind, and caring. She sees my teenage daughter and always makes her feel comfortable. Dr. Karlen has helped my daughter deal with stress, anxiety, Tourettes, and other teenager issues. My daughter trusts Dr. Karlen fully and always feels better after their sessions. Dr. Karlen has offered many creative treatment options to keep it fresh and always allows my daughter to guide her plan of care. I highly recommend Dr. Karlen.
Karen S. – Aug 01, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Amanda Karlen, PSY.D?
I saw Dr Karlen when we were contemplating adopting a foster child from out of state. This was an incredibly stressful time as we had just had two deaths in our family a few weeks apart at the time of this planned adoption. Dr Karlen’s expertise with children with traumatic history was obvious. I have been a foster parent for 10 years so I have worked with many different therapists. Amanda went out of her way to give us her input when dealing with the state case workers. She read all of the child’s records and gave us her honest opinion. I am a health coach and believe in an integrative approach to medicine. Her approach is similar. She uses many holistic modalities like EMDR, massage, infrared sauna as well as conventional methods. She is kind and very intelligent. I highly recommend Dr Karlen!
Doris H. – Jun 15, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Amanda Karlen, PSY.D?
I would recommended this doctor to anyone. Dr. Karlen has been exceptional and has surpassed any of my expectations that I had. No matter where you are in life, she is able to adjust and provide appropriate treatment/supportive interventions. Dr. Karlen always follows through and is very prompt considering her caseload. There has been many times where I cannot even formulate the words or talk about what exactly happened and she has been extremely patient. Dr. Karlen has never made me feel like I had to talk but definitely has let know it is okay if I cannot talk and she will still be there to help me through. Dr. Karlen is the most hardworking, attentive, and supportive person I have ever encountered. Even when your upset and you may not react the best, she is able to recognize and never take things personally. Which is extremely important.
Jessica V. – Jun 15, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Amanda Karlen, PSY.D?
Dr.Karlen really listened to what I had to say. She made me feel like what I was saying was actually making sense and that I am not crazy. She didn’t try and make excuses for what was going on with me. 10/10 would recommend!
Emberly – Jun 15, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Amanda Karlen, PSY.D?
Dr. Karlen helped me with difficult life transitions. She was kind, supportive, and caring. If you are looking for honest help she is the one for you.
Jun 11, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Amanda Karlen, PSY.D?
Dr. Karlen is amazing. She helped me more than any other mental health professional has. She is kind and caring. I would recommend anyone to see her.
Apr 13, 2018
Dr. Karlen's Reply – Flag
Thank you for your kind words.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Amanda Karlen, PSY.D?
The worst experience I have ever had with a therapist! She is one of the most stressful people I have ever encountered. Amanda Karlen is vary demeaning and disrespectful to her clients. She would give me terrible anxiety and has made me cry several times. She dose more talking then listening, and mixes up her clients. I have had her accuse me of talking about things that never happened. Would talk about her other clients. All around a Horrible experience! I would never recommend her to anyone.
Mchenry, IL – Nov 30, 2017
I apologize for your experience and reaction to...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Amanda Karlen, PSY.D?
Amanda has been an incredible help to my daughter. I cannot thank her enough for the kindness and compassion she's shown not just to my daughter but to my entire family.
Illinois – Jul 25, 2017
Dr. Karlen's Reply – Flag
Thank you for your kind words.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Amanda Karlen, PSY.D?
Horrible experience...this practitioner is on her own agenda. She doesn't allow the client to talk about they need to in the session. She is demeaning to her clients; she "knows all". She doesn't listen as after spilling my heart out for several minutes, she turns and asks a question that was clearly already shared. She lacks follow through on things she says she will do for you. Office staff is extremely disrespectful. They never answer or return phone calls....good luck making an appt
Oct 23, 2016
I apologize about your experience and appreciate...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Amanda Karlen, PSY.D?

How was your experience with Dr. Karlen?

My experience is diverse and my approach to therapy is evidenced-based. I comprehend mental health issues from not only a psychological, but also from a social and neurological perspective. I have worked with several challenging clients and pride mys...Read more

• Counseling

Common Questions and Answers

• Does Dr. Karlen communicate via email?

No users have indicated that Dr. Karlen communicates via email

• Does Dr. Karlen offer telehealth services or virtual visits?

No users have indicated that Dr. Karlen offers telehealth services or virtual visits

• Does Dr. Karlen offer an online patient portal?

No users have indicated that Dr. Karlen offers an online patient portal

• Does Dr. Karlen have free onsite parking?

No users have indicated that Dr. Karlen has free onsite parking

• Does Dr. Karlen offer weekend visits?

No users have indicated that Dr. Karlen offers weekend visits

• Does Dr. Karlen offer evening visits?

No users have indicated that Dr. Karlen offers evening visits