Dr. Alan Zwerdling, PHD

Dr. Alan Zwerdling, PHD

Marriage & Family Therapy  ·
Dr. Alan Zwerdling, PHD is a marriage & family therapist in Red Bank, NJ and has been practicing for 34 years. He graduated from University Of Maine in 1984 and specializes in marriage & family therapy, counseling, and more.Read his story

170 State Route 35

Red Bank, NJ 07701

Learn about Dr. Zwerdling

Dr. Zwerdling's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Zwerdling " Do you long for closeness and connection, but end up stuck in the same old conflicts? Has there been a breakdown in communication, intimacy, or sex? Are you having trouble healing and rebuilding trust following an affair? Does it seem like your partner just doesn't understand you no matter how hard you try? I've been helping couples with exactly these kinds of problems for over 30 years. As an experienced marriage counselor and couples therapist, I understand how couples can get stuck in conflicts even though they love each other and want to create closeness and intimacy. I can give you the tools to improve communication, work out your differences, and find your way back to each other emotionally and sexually. If there's been an affair, I can offer you help to heal the pain and rebuild trust and security. My style is very gentle, understanding and supportive, and I provide clear guidance and direction to help you move forward to a happier, more fulfilling relationship. I have trained for many years to become the first therapist in Monmouth and Ocean Counties to receive full certification in Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT), widely regarded as the most effective method of couples therapy and marriage counseling available today. I am recognized by the International Center for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy, and currently help teach the method to other therapists both locally and regionally. I am committed to bringing all my skills and experience to the repair and renewal of your marriage. Together we will focus on solutions to bring you happiness and lasting love. In my therapeutic work with individual adults, I focus on depression, anxiety, divorce adjustment, life transitions, addictions and codependency, and healing from trauma. As a licensed psychologist, I tailor my therapeutic approach to your specific needs to make sure you receive the help and support that is best for you. You don't have to do this alone. I offer practical, compassionate care that brings relief and hope. My expertise in problem solving, coping strategies, communication skills, personal growth, relationship improvement and emotional healing can help you change old patterns of behavior and begin to solve problems with lasting solutions, create more satisfying relationships, and live a more balanced and joyful life. If you would like to read reviews written by couples and individuals with whom I have worked, or if you would like to learn more about my practice, please visit my website at www.redbankcouplestherapy.com or call me directly at (732) 936-1212. [Home] [About EFT] [EFT Training] [Find an EFT Therapist] [Join NJCEFT]"

This content was provided by Dr. Zwerdling "After almost 30 years of experience in couples therapy and marriage counseling, I found myself attracted to Emotionally Focused Therapy for many reasons.  EFT is based on a clear understanding of adult love and the things that cause distress and uncertainty in our relationships. It offers a clear road map for helping couples get back on track.  While many other models suggest that couples try specific negotiation or communication strategies, my experience with couples showed me that these techniques often do not produce lasting results, and do not hold up when things get stressful and difficult emotions become activated.  By contrast,  EFT looks beneath the surface at the deeper emotions and unmet needs and fears of both partners and brings to light what is really driving the conflict and maintaining the negative relationship cycle.  We get to the root of things. "

• Marriage & Family Therapy
  • Addiction Counseling
  • Clinical Psychology
  • Counseling
  • Individual Counseling
  • Psychology
  • Psychotherapy
  • Relationship Counseling

Dr. Zwerdling does not have any board certifications listed.

• Couples Therapy
  • Depression Treatment
  • Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT)
  • Individual Therapy
  • Marital Counseling
  • PTSD Treatment
  • Stress Management

No malpractice history found for New Jersey.

• State University Of New York At Buffalo
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1979
  • University Of Maine
    Medical School | Graduated 1984
  • Pederson-Krag Center
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1984
  • Certified By International Center For Excellence In Emotionally Focused Therapy
    Other Education | Completed 2013
  • International Institute For Trauma and Addiction Professionals
    Other Education | Completed
  • Short Term Dynamic Therapy Institute
    Other Education | Completed 1998

Dr. Zwerdling has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Zwerdling has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Zwerdling does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Zwerdling and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Zwerdling's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Zwerdling

4.0

19.51219512195122%

Dr. Zwerdling?
Dr. Zwerdling's Performance
What People Say About Dr. Alan Zwerdling, PHD
RecentHighestLowest
Caring, compassionate and so knowledgeable. Couldn't have done it without him. Highly recommend him to anyone needing support.
May 10, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Alan Zwerdling, PHD?
My husband and I sought out Dr Zwerdling to help us overcome some issues and was particularly helpful in teaching us to better communicate. I am very grateful for his assistance and appreciated his caring manner, equal respect and attention for each of us and his comfort in working with a same sex...Read More
Jan 10, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Alan Zwerdling, PHD?
WE went to the right person for couple counseling. His kindness and ability to zero in on our basic differences was a pleasure to listen to. We work on his suggestions still. We are not getting any younger, being 80 now, and we want to be happier with each other for the days we have left. If...Read More
Mary Hughes in Naples Fl. & Mantoloking NJ – Dec 23, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Alan Zwerdling, PHD?
Dr. Zwerdling is a kind, compassionate therapist who worked well with my husband and me. It takes a truly patient man to sit and listen to two completely different people and be compassionate to both. Alan’s gentle approach was refreshing!
Middletown, NJ – Oct 02, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Alan Zwerdling, PHD?
Extremely caring and understanding. I appreciated his honesty and non judgmental demeanor. Highly recommended
Toms River, NJ – Sep 18, 2017
Show more reviews

How was your experience with Dr. Zwerdling?