At Your Appointment
What to Ask About Knee Osteoarthritis
What is kyphoplasty?
Kyphoplasty is a minimally invasive procedure that treats vertebral compression fractures. A vertebral fracture causes the vertebra to collapse and compress, causing pain and a hunched posture. The procedure involves inserting a balloon into the fractured vertebra to create a cavity. The cavity is filled with an acrylic cement mixture. This restores the height and shape of the vertebra and relieves pain.
Kyphoplasty is most successful in treating vertebral fractures, correcting spine deformity, and restoring vertebra height within the first three months of the injury.
Kyphoplasty is a minor procedure, but it still involves some risk. It is only one method used to treat vertebral compression fractures. Discuss all of your treatment options with your doctor to understand which options are right for you.
Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced
or reprinted without permission from Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. Use
of this information is governed by the Healthgrades User Agreement.
- Balloon Kyphoplasty. Medtronic. http://www.kyphon.com/us/physician.aspx?contentid=61
- Getting Kyphon Balloon Kyphoplasty. Medtronic. http://www.medtronic.com/patients/spinal-fractures/getting-the-device/index.htm
- Kyphoplasty. Johns Hopkins. http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healthlibrary/test_procedures/orthopaedic/kyphoplasty_135,36/
- Kyphoplasty. Mayo Clinic. http://www.mayoclinic.org/vertebroplasty/kyphoplasty.html
- Kyphoplasty/Vertebroplasty. Cleveland Clinic. http://my.clevelandclinic.org/services/kyphoplasty/hic_kyphoplasty.aspx
- Osteoporosis and Spinal Fractures. American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00538
- Vertebroplasty & Kyphoplasty. American College of Radiology. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=vertebro
- Your Balloon Kyphoplasty Medical Team. Medtronic. http://www.balloonkyphoplasty.com/your-balloon-kyphoplasty-medical-team.html