What is eyelid surgery?
Eyelid surgery, also called eyelift, eyelid lift, or blepharoplasty, is the surgical removal of excess skin, muscle and fat in the upper or lower eyelids. Many people seek eyelid surgery for cosmetic reasons. It can reduce sagging and puffiness in the eyelids and create a more rested and rejuvenated appearance. Sometimes, doctors recommend eyelid surgery for medical reasons to improve vision.
Eyelid surgery is a common but major surgery with significant risks and potential complications. You may have less invasive treatment options. Consider getting a second opinion about all of your cosmetic or treatment choices before having eyelid surgery.
Other procedures that may be performed
Your doctor may recommend other procedures in addition to eyelid surgery to enhance your appearance. These include:
Brow lift, also called a forehead lift, to tighten sagging skin in the forehead area
Facelift (rhytidectomy) to reduce the signs of aging in the face and neck
Resurfacing to improve the texture and tone of your skin
Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced
or reprinted without permission from Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. Use
of this information is governed by the Healthgrades User Agreement.
- Eyelid Surgery. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. http://www.plasticsurgery.org/Cosmetic-Procedures/Eyelid-Surgery.html.
- Blepharoplasty. American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. http://www.asoprs.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3646.
- Eyelid Surgery (Blepharoplasty).The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. http://www.surgery.org/consumers/procedures/head/eyelid-surgery.
- Surgery of the Eyelids. The American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. http://www.aafprs.org/patient/procedures/blepharoplasty.html.
- Upper Eyelid Blepharoplasty. Elsevier. http://www.us.elsevierhealth.com/media/us/samplechapters/9781416032861/Chapter%2005.pdf.