What is endovenous laser treatment?
Endovenous laser treatment is a procedure that eliminates varicose veins and spider veins. Endovenous laser treatment involves inserting a laser fiber into a leg vein called the saphenous vein. The laser uses light energy that causes the affected veins to collapse and close shut. Your body then redirects the blood that used to flow through those veins to other veins.
Endovenous laser treatment is only one method used to treat varicose veins and spider veins. Discuss all of your treatment options with your doctor to understand which options are right for you.
Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced
or reprinted without permission from Healthgrades Operating Company, Inc. Use
of this information is governed by the Healthgrades User Agreement.
- Endovenous Laser Treatment. Venacure EVLT. http://venacure-evlt.com/varicose-veins/treatments/endovenous-laser-therapy/.
- Frequently Asked Questions. The American College of Phlebology. http://www.phlebology.org/patientinfo/faq.html.
- Treatment Options. The American College of Phlebology. http://www.phlebology.org/patientinfo/treatment.html.
- Varicose Vein Treatment (Endovenous Ablation of Varicose Veins). RadiologyInfo.org. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=varicoseabl.
- Varicose veins and spider veins fact sheet. Womenshealth.gov. http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/varicose-spider-veins.cfm.
- What Are Varicose Veins? National Heart Lung and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/vv/.