Dr. Ralph Chu, MD

Dr. Ralph Chu, MD

Cataract Surgery  |

Founder and medical director of Chu Vision Institute and Chu Surgery Center, Dr. Chu is recognized as an international leader in cataract and refractive surgery. He is a fellowship-trained corneal specialist whose practice focuses on cataract, refractive and corneal surgery. Dr. Chu received his medical degree from Northwestern University Medical School in Chicago, Illinois, where he was a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society. He completed an internship at Evanston Hospital and an ophthalmology residency at Duke University Eye Center. Dr. Chu then completed a one-year fellowship in cornea and external disease, refractive surgery, cataract and lens implant surgery and glaucoma in Minneapolis. He has participated in over 50 clinical evaluations or FDA clinical trials dealing with cataract and intraocular lens implantations, phakic lens implantations, laser vision correction technologies and ocular therapeutic treatments. Dr. Chu is a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons, the International Society of Refractive Surgery, along with 21 other professional memberships. He has been honored by selection to the editorial boards of Cataract and Refractive Surgery Today, Review of Ophthalmology, EyeWorld and Refractive Eye Care. ?? Dr. Chu has lectured and taught physicians on nearly every continent including Asia, Australia and Europe, and is a much sought after speaker, both nationally and internationally, regarding cataract and refractive surgery.

Chu Vision Institute

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota
  • HealthPartners

Learn about Dr. Chu

To help you see better, we first take the time to look at life from you perspective. Only then can we connect you to those leading-edge technologies and procedures that best fir your world today and where you see yourself tomorrow. Sound like an experience worth looking forward to? We think so, too.

Dr. Chu's Experience

Dr. Chu's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Cataract Surgery

• Cornea Surgery
  • Excision of Chalazion
  • Glaucoma Surgery
  • LASIK

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Minnesota.

• Northwestern Center Feinberg School of Medicine
  • Duke University Medical Center
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1996
  • Phillips Eye Inst
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1997

Dr. Chu has no media or publications listed.

• American Academy of Ophthalmology, Member
  • American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons, Member
  • International Society of Refractive Surgery, Member
  • Refractive Surgery Alliance, Member

Dr. Chu's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Chu to family and friends
Dr. Chu's Performance
in Eden Prairie, MN |
Dr Chu and his entire staff were very informative about the surgery, provided and excellent experience the day of the operation and again for post surgery. I have worn glasses since the 3rd grade and can now type this on my computer without glasses! THAT SAYS IT ALL!
Minneapolis, MN |
Dr. Chu performed two LASIK surgeries for me, one as part of a study. I've continued with the clinic for my eye care for more than 15 years because the entire staff of docs, nurses, techs and front office is caring and professional. Just this week, I was able to get a same day appointment to be seen about a potentially urgent concern.
in Burnsville, MN |
Dr. Chu's clinic is amazing. The staff, the efficiency, the care, the timeliness and Dr. Chu himself are all exceptional. My vision is now clear and sharp! Thank you Dr. Chu!
Bloomington, MN |
Love the Star Trek equipment!
Inver Grove Heights, MN |
As a retired optometrist, i delayed cataract surgery as long as possible;what a mistake, my vision is better than it's been in years, the process was painless, eliminated my dependence on contact lenses or eyeglasses. Should have made the decision some years ago. Their entire staff is awesome!
in Cottage Grove, MN |
The entire staff at Chu Vision is awesome. This clinic is very organized and all personnel are professional, courteous and very comforting. I was apprehensive about having eye surgery but was immediately put at ease and found the procedures easy. I appreciated the good care and relaxing atmosphere.
in Minneapolis, MN |
Dr. Chu and the entire team was spectacular. I was incredibly nervous, especially during the surgery. Chu spoke with me and calmed me down and it was such a quick process. Everyone is so friendly and makes sure you are comfortable.
in Jordan, MN |
I'am very satisfied with you and your staff. It was a relaxed and informative experience, considering what a patient has to go through to get to the final results. My eyes thank you, u Dr. Chu have God given Cecil Laffen
in Burnsville, MN |
I went for a consultation for LASIK surgery with Chu Vision since my husband was a prior patient of Dr. Chu's. The staff treated me like I was their only patient that day. My primary ophthalmologist was Dr. Heckman, but Dr. Chu came in and visited with me personally during the exam as well to reiterate the options. I am very impressed with the entire staff! I have already recommended Chu Vision Institute to my friends.
in West St Paul, MN |
I have had a superior experience at the Chu Vision Institute. From the check-in through the exams and evaluations for my case each person I encountered was professional, cheerful, and helpful. All questions I had were answered, and, finally, the result of the procedure at the hands of Dr Chu and his most capable staff have provided me with the result I had hoped for. Thank you all so very much.
in Elk River, MN |
Dr. Chu is "Best in the West"!
Stillwater, MN |
I was very pleased with Dr. Chu and his staff. Everyone was friendly, efficient and knowledgeable.
in Stacy, MN |
With Dr. Chu I felt like my well being is his priority #1 and that is something I have not yet experienced in my journey with Keratoconus. He was honest, truthful, and kind. Before seeing Dr. Chu I was seen by many other Dr.'s and Optometrists and was feeling more and more discouraged. He has completely changed my perspective. Thanks Doc!
in Bloomington, MN |
I am very happy with my visit to Dr Chu's clinic! This is actually my second appointment and have been treated so well. My exam was done well and with great respect, friendly and welcoming! I look forward to my next appointment : )
Have you seen Dr. Ralph Chu, MD?

Visit Dr. Chu