Dr. Young-Jo Kim, MD

Orthopedic Surgery | Male

Dr. Young-Jo Kim, MD
Dr. Young-Jo Kim, MD is an orthopedic surgery doctor who practices in Boston, MA. He is 53 years old and has been practicing for 23 years. Dr. Kim is affiliated with Boston Children's Hospital.

Dr. Kim's Care Philosophy

"I have always been interested in science and initially during my studies at MIT was intending to become a physicist or an electrical engineer. However, I was drawn to biomedical engineering and eventually orthopedic surgery during my graduate studies at MIT. My research focus was on understanding how mechanical forces affect cartilage biology. When I was contemplating what specialty to enter, I came upon the notion of using hip osteotomies to alter hip mechanics and perhaps prevent or slow down the progression of hip osteoarthritis."

Dr. Kim's Experience

See how Dr. Kim's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Kim

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Kim has admitting privileges.

Dr. Kim's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Kim to family and friends
based on 9 total reviews (1 with a comment)
Dr. Kim's Performance
in new york NY |
Dr. Kim did my periacetabular osteotomy in 2006. This was scary because the same surgery had gone terribly wrong for me at another hospital. Dr. Kim, hospital and staff were wonderful, thank goodness! 15 years later, I can say with certainty and a track record what an amazing job he did. It was so worth the travel to do this long distance from NYC. My only regret is that I couldn't get my first hip done with him. I'm reminded every day by the pain in my other side. I simply didn't know better.
Have you seen Dr. Young-Jo Kim, MD?
Are you Dr. Kim?

Compare Dr. Kim

Dr. Kim's Care Philosophy

"I have always been interested in science and initially during my studies at MIT was intending to become a physicist or an electrical engineer. However, I was drawn to biomedical engineering and eventually orthopedic surgery during my graduate studies at MIT.  My research focus was on understanding how mechanical forces affect cartilage biology. When I was contemplating what specialty to enter, I came upon the notion of using hip osteotomies to alter hip mechanics and perhaps prevent or slow down the progression of hip osteoarthritis."

Dr. Kim says...

"Early on, I recognized that we needed a better imaging metric to understand how our surgeries can affect hip cartilage. Recognizing this, I established collaboration with Diego Jaramillo, Martha Gray and Deborah Burstein to implement a clinical protocol for delayed Gadolinium Enhanced MRI of Cartilage. To date this is the best protocol to understand the subtle biochemical changes that occur in cartilage with alterations in mechanics. Hip preservation surgery has now rapidly evolved into specialty onto itself. My current focus is on improving surgical education as well as helping set up large clinical trials to demonstrate the efficacy of our surgical procedures."

Dr. Kim's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery
  •  Board certified in Orthopedic Surgery

Dr. Kim has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for Massachusetts.

Why It Matters: Dr. Kim's Board Certifications

Texas Scottish Rite Hospital For Children

Completed in 2000

Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Graduated in 1986

Dr. Kim does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Kim and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Hip Arthroscopy