Dr. Wolfgang Fitz, MD

Dr. Fitz
Telehealth services available

Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital, Orthopaedic Center

1153 Centre St Ste 5 Jamaica Plain, MA 02130

Dr. Wolfgang Fitz, MD is a Orthopedic Surgery Specialist in Jamaica Plain, MA and has over 31 years of experience in the medical field. Dr. Fitz has more experience with Knee/Lower Limbs than other specialists in his area. He graduated from Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitaet Munchen, Fachbereich Medizin,Munchen, Germany medical school in 1989. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as Brigham And Women's Faulkner Hospital and Brigham And Women's Hospital. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Fitz to book an appointment.

Compare Providers

Quickly compare more Orthopedic Surgery Specialists in your area

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Offers Telehealth
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    America's 250 Best Hospitals Award™ See hospitals

Dr. Fitz accepts

Dr. Fitz accepts the following insurance:

National (BlueCard) PPO
Harvard Pilgrim Health Care
Harvard Pilgrim Health Care PPO
Tufts Health Plan
Tufts PPO

No malpractice claims found for Massachusetts

Frequently Treated by Dr. Fitz

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Fitz treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Fitz treats other conditions, please contact the office at (617) 732-5322.

Knee/Lower Limbs

Knee and lower limb surgeons perform procedures such as total knee replacement, partial knee replacement, and tendor repair, to treat conditions including arthritis, ligament tears, or bone fractures.Compare with other Knee/Lower Limbs specialists.

Dr. Fitz typically treats 69% more often than similar doctors

• Broken Arm
  • Broken Neck
  • Chondrocalcinosis
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Excision of Femur or Knee
  • Knee Replacement
  • Knee Replacement Revision
  • Knee Sprain
  • Knee Surgery
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Limb Cramp

Dr. Fitz's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Fitz

4.5

Dr. Fitz?
Bad experience with TKR. Blood clot, constant pain, leg will not bend to 90. Repeated calls to his office and filling out computer reports with no returns from him or staff. It's as if you are on your own after replacement.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
Peter W Taylor – Nov 22, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Wolfgang Fitz, MD?
DR.FITZ,may be may be renown for orthopedic surgery for the knee and below i am here to tell you he has magic in his hands.I had two total hip replacement within three months and with each operation begin to be normal.today i am almost totally pain free . I am now walking with a cane no longer needing to rely on a walker i am looking forward to not needing any assistance in the near future.i can only hope that once doctor fitz is finished creating orthopedic magical moments he will want to teach his techniques to the world and become the professor of orthopedics.
anthony G henry – Nov 16, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Wolfgang Fitz, MD?
I'm a 68 year old woman, born with bad knees, chronic problems my whole life, discouraged from surgery by two surgeons near where I live saying I would show no improvement. Dr. Fitz changed my life. He gave me back my life. His gentle reassurance and confidence, not only that he could help but make custom replacements that truly corrected major problem. Both done, one month apart. Exceptional results within a month of each. I would give Dr. Fitz, his staff, Brighams, 100 stars if I could.
Sandra – Nov 09, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Wolfgang Fitz, MD?
I had my left knee replacement in 2019 and my right knee replacement this July. I highly recommend Dr Fitz. After decades of living with pain, finally my quality of life is so much better.
Michael Andreoli – Oct 25, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Wolfgang Fitz, MD?
I had my total left knee replacement by Dr. Fitz 2 years ago and my right knee was done on 7/20/20. I couldn't have wished for better outcomes. Grateful to have such a highly skilled surgeon.
Kathryn Gustafson – Aug 17, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Wolfgang Fitz, MD?
I cannot begin to describe how professional and thorough Dr. Fitz is, from pre-surgery to post surgery. I am walking normally now, after total replacement on both knees, one 3 months ago, the other, six months ago. It's a life changer, for sure. Can't wait to get on the tennis court.
Dave Beemon – Jun 10, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Wolfgang Fitz, MD?
I had my right knee done on 1/06/2020 its now been 3 months Im continuing my PT as instructed through the program - which is very informative and helpful. Im lining myself up to have the left knee done next year the whole staff is phenomenal I would not hesitate to recommend DR.Fitz and the staff
Keith Barnes – Apr 07, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Wolfgang Fitz, MD?
I recently had total knee replacement surgery with Dr Fitz. My entire experience with him, his staff and the B&W hospital was 5 star. I felt I was in excellent hands - from pre-tests, to pre-surgery exercises on-line, to the actual surgery and hospital stay, to after-surgery exercises. I plan on having my other knee replacement surgery with Dr. Fitz as well.
Sandy W – Mar 16, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Wolfgang Fitz, MD?
I had been a patient of Dr. Fitz for a number years leading up to my left TKR in November, 2019. From the beginning I was grateful to have a surgeon who would not perform surgery until I was ready. Now that the surgery has been done, I can honestly say I have had complete trust in Dr. Fitz and his whole team. They have answered every question and comforted every fear. Dr. Fitz is brilliant surgeon. I feel grateful to have been in his care; so much so, my right TKR is in April, 2020.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Betsy Harris – Feb 28, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Wolfgang Fitz, MD?
I wish I had Dr. Fitz for my first knee replacement. However, he did a partial and successful revision on it and then later replaced my other knee. Superb surgeon with a great bedside manner, terrific protocols all resulting in a solid recovery for me. I have referred several friends to him.
Cindy Johnson – Feb 24, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Wolfgang Fitz, MD?
Dr. Wolfgang Fitz is an outstanding surgeon . He performed a left knee replacement eight years ago and just a month ago replaced my left hip. I am a 70 plus age male. Both operations were outstanding successes. My knee had deteriorated over a decade to a point that I could not walk to my mailbox without significant pain. I had run multiple marathons in years past. I had waited way too long to have it replaced. I conducted detailed research and sought opinions from three very well respected Boston based surgeons. One told my wife and I the knee was catastrophic and walking would require over a year of rehab. Dr Fitz's discussion was clear and detailed. He indicated that I would receive a custom knee, and most recently, a custom hip replacement engineered precisely for me. It was so clear that he was an accomplished surgeon but also had engineering expertise, I believe, a key component to a successful replacement. The results speak for themselves. Rapid recovery, and minimal pain.
robert Hasselbaum – Dec 02, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Wolfgang Fitz, MD?
I had a TKR done in August 2019. Dr. Fitz is a very skilled surgeon and I had an uncomplicated recovery. Scheduling with his office was the most frustrating experience I've even had with a medical provider. I first contacted his office to schedule a new patient appointment in November 2018, and made an appointment for March of 2019. A few weeks before that appointment my appointment was rescheduled by his office for May 31. Three days before that appointment it was canceled and I was offered an appointment for July 18th. I was furious and insisted on speaking with a supervisor who was able to give me an appointment for June 7th. I had a similar experience with my 2 month post-op appointment with Dr. Fitz - canceled 2 days before it was to take place. I am grateful Dr. Fitz didn't reschedule my surgery appointment and the staff at the Faulkner Hospital were outstanding. But his scheduling staff were unsympathetic and often unhelpful.
cheryle – Nov 18, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Wolfgang Fitz, MD?
Straight forward and honest. I highly recommend Dr. Fitz. Prior to my surgery I ran into others who did have TKR surgery or they knew someone who had TKR and they all talked very highly of Dr. Fitz. I felt very confident in my decision to have Dr. Fitz perform my surgery because of his straight forward and honest assessment of my condition and expectations having the surgery. I followed his post surgery plan pretty much to the letter and feel my personal progress will exceed my own expectations of having surgery. Prior to surgery I struggled to get around, today.......I don't think about it. I'm seven months on my right knee, three months on my left.....life is good! Thank you Dr. Fitz......Thank you.
Peter Malewicz – Nov 03, 2019
Excellent orthodpedic surgeon.
Oct 14, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Wolfgang Fitz, MD?
Dr. Fitz was great. I had a TKR in October 2017 and could not be more pleased with the results. Initially, I was in more pain than expected so he was seeing me frequently to check on it, then it just mysteriously disappeared! Since then it's been excellent. I do not like to kneel on it, but that is pretty much the rule with TKRs from what I hear. The only time it has any discomfort at all is if I really overdo. He is great with his patients, as is his assistant, Kelly.
Oct 10, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Wolfgang Fitz, MD?
Had a TKR. Kept calling the office & also my PT telling them about horrific pain. Totally ignored us. I ended in the ER to find I had a fractured hip., surgery on the hip, rehab, in home pt , out patient pt. Never followed up with me to find out why I did not return, he did major surgery. He has absolutely no bedside manner. His asst. Kelly same thing. If they had only ordered an xray it would have saved me so much pain and suffering. I still have pain in my knee. That surgery set me so behind as I have MS.
Dr. Know it all – Sep 29, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Wolfgang Fitz, MD?
It took almost three months to finally meet the good Dr and I am not sorry for the wait. In the interest of expediting my surgery that I knew was eminent before my appt, he suggested I consider one of his colleagues perform the surgery. I trust in his expertise and will wait for his schedule to open .
NH – Aug 16, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Wolfgang Fitz, MD?
He replaced my left knee 5 years ago. Excellent results. Now it just feels like a regular old real knee. I wouldn’t know it was plastic and titanium by the way it feels. His post-op instructions about what I shouldn’t do with the new knee were too vague for me, though, because I’m an active person. Overall satisfied, though, and would go back if and when the right knee gives out/up.
Tom Green – Jun 26, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Wolfgang Fitz, MD?
Dr. Fitz gave me my life back. He is a professional and explains everything he will be doing. I walked a few hours after having a total knee replaced. I thank you for all you have done for me. Two new knees in 16 months. I cannot wait to fuller recover to get back to a normal life.
T.Boyd in Taunton Mass – Apr 07, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Wolfgang Fitz, MD?
I would not recommend. There is a level of gross incompetence with this practice. I had a terrible experience with Dr. Fitz, his office and the hospital that ended up costing me thousands of dollars. All this was because none of the above bothered to submit prior authorization to my insurance company. BEWARE
David Walczak – Mar 01, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Wolfgang Fitz, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Fitz?

Bogenhausen City Hospital