Dr. Winston Warme, MD

Sports MedicineMaleAge 61

Dr. Warme

Gme Office University of Washington

1959 Ne Pacific St Seattle, WA 98195

Dr. Winston Warme, MD is a Sports Medicine Specialist in Seattle, WA. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as Harborview Medical Center and UW Medical Center - Montlake. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Warme to book an appointment.

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Sports Medicine Specialists in your area

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Joint Replacement Award™ See hospitals
  • Hospital Satisfaction

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Washington

Check if Dr. Warme treats your condition or procedure

• Glenoid Labrum Tear
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Sprain
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Lupus
  • Shoulder Impingement Syndrome
  • Shoulder Tendinitis and Tenosynovitis
  • Tibia and Fibula Fractures

Dr. Warme accepts

Dr. Warme accepts the following insurance:

National (BlueCard) PPO
HealthyBlue 2.0
HealthyBlue Advantage

Dr. Warme's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Warme

Dr. Warme
I'm 8 months out from a shoulder surgery with Dr Warme; I'm pleased with the results and feel lucky to have been in such good hands. Dr. Warme and team are knowledgeable, compassionate, and highly available for all the questions and concerns I've had along the way. I feel doubly lucky that they’re experienced in many of the activities that I missed most before the surgery - rock climbing (Dr Warme) and yoga/movement (Emily) - and could guide my decision to have the surgery, and my recovery after, based on the activities I love. Thank you!
Kevin – Jun 29, 2021
Nov 17, 2020
I went in recently for my knee but instead of the doctor an elbow shoulder UW student of Winston's. Rufus VanDyke Had completely taken place of Warme presence at my appointment. I requested Warme yet In my shock his student demanded to thoroughly exam my legs & knees without the DR Warme present in room physically & Rufus VanDyke he was super rude rough & bossy toward me also a shoulder elbow fellow not knee surgeon he literally caused a bunch of extra pain during his exam Im still in way more pain then I was before following his directions making it difficult now straightening my leg... Don't trust Warme to care. I already had an M.R.I confirming my damaged knee done prior too going my MRI not being looked at by them or discussed at all so instead it was purley me being used for no purpose other than me being a test subject they did not follow standard of care to mention everything now feels retore. Worst experience of being hurt & disrespected. Kieran I would write a formal com
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
InGodWeTrust – Jul 01, 2020
I saw Dr. Warme for a posterior sternocalvicular dislocation sustained during a wrestling move. The injury was not only painful, but, I discovered, very rare. I also knew it would be the end of my wrestling career if it wasn't repaired properly. I could not have asked for better care than what I received from Dr. Warme and his team. Everything was thoroughly explained, the surgery and healing process went perfectly, and I was back to wrestling far sooner than expected. Dr. Warme was always extremely calm and caring and made me feel truly at ease and confident at every step of the process. I can honestly say he is the best Doctor I've ever had and I'm so grateful he was able to put me back together!
Anastasia aka "Big Anne" – Oct 25, 2019
Dr. Warme is the best doctor that anyone could find for joint surgery. I came in after a referral with a sternoclavicular issue (collar bone meets the sternum) for which Dr. Warme performed the surgery May 29, 2019. This doctor was attentive, spoke to me and my wife like we were friends and the best part was saying a prayer right before my surgery. I highly recommend this doctor!!
Kenneth Yucha – Sep 10, 2019
I was 69-year old when I broke my ankle. Two orthopedic surgeons recommended surgery and I decided on Dr. Warme. Over the three months after surgery, Dr. Warme and his team took excellent care of me with x-rays and detailed instructions. I stayed in an air boot and wheel chair as prescribed. Today, three months after the surgery, I am walking gingerly on my own. For Plantar Fasciitis, my UW podiatrist, Dr. Douglas Ichikawa examined my ankle x-rays and praised Dr. Warme's surgical repairs as "BEAUTIFUL". Dr. Warme is kind, thorough and I am blessed to be under his care!"
K. Liu – Aug 20, 2019
The initial appeal for me in choosing Dr. Warme as my surgeon was the thoroughness in describing the entire process. Neither he nor his staff assumed I knew what I was getting into and they took the time to make sure I was educated on my situation and all my questions were answered to my satisfaction. Dr. Warme has a wonderful bedside manner and took a personal interest not just in my health but in my life outside of the immediate task at hand. It has been six months since my surgery, I have no lingering pain as a result of the surgery and I have 100% of my pre-injury movement and use. A big thanks to Dr. Warme and his team for a job well done.
Jeff Longacre – Aug 17, 2019
Dr. Warme performed ream and run surgery on my shoulder a year ago and I couldn't be happier. He and his staff made me feel comfortable and the surgery has greatly improved the quality of my life! I went into the procedure hoping to one day be able to throw a baseball with my son again and I can do that and so much more. Dr. Warme has been available to me for consult, advice and support since the day of my surgery and he's shown a genuine concern for my well being that I've not seen in a a doctor before. Dr. Warme is fantastic and I would recommend him in a heartbeat!!
Aug 15, 2019
I got ACL reconstructive surgery from Dr. Warme about 9 months ago and have been very pleased with both the progression of my knee over this time and Dr. Warme's care. Dr. Warme is very responsive to calls and emails, always giving prompt and knowledge answers to the many questions I've had during recovery. As a climber, Dr. Warme has been willing to incorporate advice that is specific to my returning to climbing at full capacity as soon as possible. I have also been very appreciate of his willingness to adapt his recommendations for my specific preferences and progress, rather than sticking to a rigid one-size-fits-all recovery schedule.
Katie in Seattle, WA – Jun 23, 2019
Had an excellent experience working with Dr Warme. Being a competitive athlete my whole life, I was told by 3 surgeons that I needed a complete shoulder replacement and I would never be the same. I had one consultation with Dr. Warme and a 1 hour laparoscopic surgery and one year later I am not only back to where I was, but better than before. 5 stars, no complaints
Garry Lodoen – Jun 19, 2019
I actually feel lucky that I had the chance to be operated on twice by the same orthopedic surgeon, once to repair an injured knee, and once to replace an arthritic shoulder. Dr. Warme has a quiet self-confidence that makes the patient feel immediately at ease. He invests time to address all the patient’s concerns. Even his exams of painful spots didn’t hurt. Everyone on his team treats the patient with respect, caring and skill. The results of my surgeries are superb. I now have excellent range of motion, joint stability, pain-free functioning. I have changed from a person for whom simply walking was a painful risk, to someone who hikes and dances— from a person who felt lightning bolts when simply closing a car door, to someone who painlessly swims and rides a bike. Quality of life restored. Thank you!
Susan in Issaquah, WA – Jun 17, 2019
Exceptional surgeon!!! We cannot find enough superlatives to describe our thanks and appreciation to Dr. Warme and his staff. EVERYONE we dealt with was kind, compassionate, and accommodating. We love Marian! She is extremely detail oriented, and did not skip a beat. There was a mix up on insurance coverage, as this is an L&I case. She was all over it, and had it resolved in no time. We are truly grateful that after decades of suffering, we can see the light at the end of the tunnel. The shoulder and range of motion have improved beyond our hopes and dreams. We had to drive 8 hours round trip to each appointment and surgery date, but would do it all over again for this outcome. THANK YOU DR. WARME!!!
Larry B. in Port Angeles, WA – Jun 11, 2019
Great doctor, very knowledgable and informative. Seems to do great work; my shoulder feels great now!!! Thanks Dr. Warme!!
Dustin Hawkins in Seattle, WA – Jun 10, 2019
Dr. Warme professionally welcomed me to his care during our first visit. I feel he genuinely cares about each of his patients individually. His care and concern for my health was evident in his questions and comments. Pre & post surgery care was excellent. Dr. Warme is skilled in both personal and medical care of his patients. I have mentioned him to several of my friends who are experiencing orthotic concerns, and I would definitely return to his care..
Apr 02, 2019
There are no words to adequately describe how thankful I am for Dr. Warme. He fixed me and gave me my shoulder and the full use of my arm back when everyone else said it couldn't be fixed. He took away pain that I was told would never go away. Dr. Warme's funny and compassionate bedside manners were a welcome relief to the years of grim faced, stoic faces of pity I had endured. He is my hero. I can not recommend him more. P.S. He is wickedly skilled with a scalpel, the scar is tiny and straight.
Mar 15, 2019
Dr.Warme has a wealth of experience. Yet, he is so humble and approachable. Hears you questions patiently and explains in words you can understand - plus doesn't recommend unnecessary procedures. Carlos and rest of his team are very helpful too! On the day of surgery, apart from guiding me in a friendly, informative way, when I was recovering from sedation, Dr.Warme took time to talk to my aging parents waiting outside to let them know everything went well - helped immensely reduce their anxiety
SN in Bellevue, WA – Mar 05, 2019
They recently had a right elbow or arthroscopic surgery and could be happier with the care I got from Dr. Warman his team. Experience very little postoperative pain, and obviously nothing was touched that didn’t need to be, because the outcome was full range of motion and strength is now nearly equal to the opposite arm. Dr Warme called the next day post-op to check on any problems but honestly there were none. Would highly recommend him and his team to anyone with an upper extremity issue!
Michael Hawaka in Bellingham – Mar 04, 2019
Dr. Warme is a very thorough and professional surgeon. He is a 'no nonsense' kind of guy and is very straight-forward in his diagnosis, treatment and post-operative care. If you follow his advice, a successful outcome from surgery can be successfully achieved. Very happy with the entire process, outcome and his team. One side note, schedule appointments earlier in the day, as there can be long wait times, as he sees many patients in a day.
Winthrop, WA – Jan 07, 2019
When my wife saw Dr. Warme for a rotator issue, his approach was careful and conservative. He is pleasant, thorough, funny and a joy to work with. His notes are works of art. So I saw him about my shoulder problems. He recommended a total shoulder replacement arthroplasty because the arthritis in my shoulder had left bone on bone. I had the surgery 10/24/18 and went home the next day. His surgical skill and care are beyond praise. In less than a week I was pain free and have healed quickly.
Gordon Bainbridge in Greenbank, WA – Dec 07, 2018
Great surgeon, arm almost feels new again! Great guy all together!
Samuel smiley in Seattle, WA – Nov 30, 2018

How was your experience with Dr. Warme?

Dr. Warme's clinical focus is returning patients to top physical condition and recreational and elite athletes to their previous level of sport as quickly...Read more

Winston J. Warme M.D., is a UW  Professor of Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine, Chief of the Shoulder and Elbow Service and board-certified in orthopedic...Read more

• Sports Medicine