Dr. Wilson Ray, MD

NeurosurgeryMaleAge 46

Neurosurgery

Dr. Wilson Ray, MD is a Neurosurgery Specialist in Saint Louis, MO and has over 19 years of experience in the medical field. Dr. Ray has extensive experience in Spine Disorders & Surgical Procedures. He graduated from R J & Lucille Carver Coll Med Univ Of Ia in 2004. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as Barnes Jewish Hospital and Barnes-jewish West County Hospital. His office accepts new patients and telehealth appointments.

Dr. Wilson Ray, MD

Washington University School of Medicine Department of Neurology Surgery

1040 N Mason Rd Ste 211 Saint Louis, MO 63141
Telehealth services available

Telehealth services available

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Offers Telehealth
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    Outstanding Patient Experience Award™ See hospitals

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Missouri

Frequently Treated by Dr. Ray

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Ray treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Ray treats other conditions, please contact the office at (314) 362-3577.

Spine Disorders & Surgical Procedures

Spine specialists diagnose and treat conditions affecting the bones of the spine, including degenerative spine disease, herniated discs, stenosis, and fractured vertebrae, with treatments including medication, physical therapy, and surgery.Compare with other Spine Disorders & Surgical Procedures specialists.

Dr. Ray is experienced in the area of Spine Disorders & Surgical Procedures. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 57 conditions and procedures

• Cauda Equina Syndrome
  • Chiari Malformation Type 1
  • Chordoma
  • Cranial Trauma
  • Epidural Lysis of Adhesions (LOA)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Medulloblastoma
  • Meningiomas
  • Metastatic Cancer
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Nerve Sheath Tumors
  • Upper Back Pain
  • Vertebral Column Tumors
  • Vertebral Fracture

Dr. Ray accepts

Dr. Ray accepts the following insurance:

Balanced Blue Access-MO

Dr. Ray's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Ray

4.5

Highly recommend Dr. W. Zachary Ray
Dr. Ray has been my chosen neurosurgeon and has performed both a cervical lower lumbar surgery to correct substantial life altering pains. He is not only an experienced, confident and trusted surgeon but he is also an effective communicator and demonstrates empathy as well. Both surgeries were successful and I am pain free and able to resume normal life activities. Highly recommend him!
  • Long wait times
Mary – Aug 26, 2022
Fantastic Surgeon and Great Results
I was referred to Dr. Ray ny my Thoracic Surgeion who spoke very highly of him and his abilities. For months and months I experienced debilitating shooting pains down both of my legs. I had been going to a pain management specialist but achieved little relief so I decided to see Dr. Ray. From the first time I met with Dr. Ray and his staff I had a feeling that my choice was the right one. The procedure went smoothly and, believe it or not, I had absolutely no leg pain the morning after my surgery. I would strongly recommend Dr. Ray to anyone who is experiencing any type of back issue or neural pain, he and his staff are miracle workers in my book!
Steve H. – Jun 25, 2022
Amazing Doctor!
Dr. Ray removed a spinal cord tumor from my upper back. He throuroughly explained my condition, the possible outcomes and plan going foward. He has been following my case now for 5+ years. He never rushes an appointment, answers all my questions, follows up on issues and coordination with other doctors and the tumor board. His staff is professional and friendly. One of a handful of doctors I fully trust.
Jun 23, 2022
Excellent surgeon.
Dr. Ray is an excellent surgeon! He performed two surgeries on my neck, front and back, repairing a deformity while lifting and straightening my spine to relieve the pressure and stop the pinching of nerves. I am only seven weeks into recovery, but already the numbness in my arm is gone, my nearly constant headaches have ended, my posture has improved, and my balance is better. The pain of the surgery was definitely worth the results. Dr. Ray says that I will continue to improve even more over time. If I should need back surgery in the future, Dr. Ray will, without question, be my surgeon! He and his medical team have improved my life. Jo Ann Meiners - April 28, 2022
Apr 29, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Wilson Ray, MD?
He's is an awesome doctor! Everything he told me to expect in regards to 2 surgeries he did on me were just as he said!!
  • Long wait times
Mar 18, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Wilson Ray, MD?
I had a cervical MRI done in 8/21 which showed a herniated disc at C5/6. I was not interested in surgery at first and tried several alternative measures to help with my pain, numbness and tingling that I was experiencing everyday. After a while my symptoms got worse and surgery seemed to be my only option at getting better. I consulted Dr. Ray for a surgical opinion and he took his time to explain the surgical plan to me and made sure that I felt comfortable to proceed with surgery. He performed a C5-6 arthroplasty on me in 12/2021. I am now 3 months post op and I feel amazing. My previous symptoms have completely resolved. I finally feel like myself again. I am very grateful to Dr. Ray as he took exceptional care of me and I highly recommend him and his staff!
Suzana Halilovic – Mar 12, 2022
Mary Kane
I’d give this Neurosurgeon negative stars if I had the option. He totally ruined my life! I had cervical disc replacement surgery and a plate and screws were placed on my spine. The next day I was told I was being discharged. I took a shower with a nurse in the room. I came out of the shower and felt like I was in an earthquake. The room was jumping up and down. I told the nurse “on my gosh! I think I’m having a stroke!” She said “you are NOT having a stroke!” Well I did have a stroke because when the plate was place Dr Wray pinched the vertebral artery in my brain and it caused me to have a Brain stem stroke. Also, when I was intubated my Airway was damaged and now I have to have a procedure to remove the scar because it blocks my breathing. The procedure has to be done every 9-12 months to keep my airway open. I am in constant, severe pain from the hardware in my neck. Several weeks ago I had a swallow test due to painful and difficult swallowing. The Speech therapist showed me
Mary Kane – Mar 05, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Wilson Ray, MD?
I had Cervical 5/6 and 6/7 Anterior Decompression and Fusion. Dr. Ray and his team have been everything I had hoped for. Very professional and forthcoming in every aspect of my surgery. It's been two months and I still have myelopathy in my hand but it's getting better every day.
Greg M. – Jan 14, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Wilson Ray, MD?
Surgery on my neck in November.
Michael Bulls – Jan 06, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Wilson Ray, MD?
"Choose Dr Ray as your Complex Spine Surgeon" 5+ Star Rating. Dr Ray/team saved my life twice. I'm 64. In Mar 2021 Dr Ray did spine surgery on my lower back (2 rods, 4 cages). I was wheelchair bound when I met Dr Ray, walking with cane bent over severe pain in lower back muscle spasms up down my legs. Successful Surgery. In Oct 2021 Wednesday woke up no balance, no strength legs. By Monday numbness in arms, hands, chest, couldn't walk. Wife drove me to Barnes ER (2 hours away). ER Docs did Xray, CT lower back but all good. Requested Dr Ray/Staff. Dr Ray ordered MRI Brain/Neck/Spine at 2am. By 6am Dr Ray walked into the ER with films stating, "WE FOUND IT" Large Cyst protruding into spinal cord between vertebrae in my neck. Needed emergency surgery, if I ever had hopes of walking again to avoid being paraplegic. Risks with surgery, no guarantee ever walk again. Successful Surgery Again (neuropathy gone). I thank Dr Ray/team and God every day timing is everything. Choose Dr Ray.
Stewart Dixon – Dec 13, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Wilson Ray, MD?
Dr Ray did surgery on my lower spine & I no longer have nerve pain radiating down my legs. If not for the surgery, I would not be walking today. I highly recommend this doctor
Great doctor – Nov 11, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Wilson Ray, MD?
I recently had spinal surgery, Dr. Ray is an OUTSTANDING SURGEON… From my very first visit he made me feel important and actually took the time to listen to me. He explained to me everything about the surgery, including the pros n complications. The morning of surgery he was right there before I was taken back, made me feel comfortable.. His surgical team was excellent as well. Since I been home for few weeks he continues to answer any questions I regardless of how many emails I send. His medical staff at his office are truly the most caring group of nurses I have ever had the Privilege to have.. They always get back to me and make me feel important no matter how busy they are. This was a painful surgery but I feel so much better already. I highly recommend Dr. Ray, and I know I will never use another surgeon. I give him and his whole team a 5 STAR and more. Debbie Schaefer
Debbie Schaefer – Jul 15, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Wilson Ray, MD?
If you need a neurosurgeon look no further!! Dr Ray, Ellen and his entire team at Washington University Physicians Group are very professional and my surgery of a fused C5 and C6 was a complete success. The whole process, after suffering with injections and therapy for 4 years, was life changing for me. After seeing several surgeons, he was the only one that diagnosed my problem correctly. They are true angels and deserve all the recognition they get for their hard work and dedication. The Barnes Jewish hospital team was great too!! They are true heroes and healers. I highly recommend Dr Ray!!! Thank you for getting my life back.
Margaret Barnett – Apr 30, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Wilson Ray, MD?
Dr Ray is an excellent surgeon and also has great bedside manners. I am really happy that I chose Dr Ray to perform my cervical fusion surgery. My neurological symptoms are diminishing almost every day since surgery and I am enjoying being more active again. I would recommend Dr Ray to anyone needing spine surgery.
Randy P. – Jan 17, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Wilson Ray, MD?
A great doctor and team. Got me back on my feet and couldn't feel better.
Oscar in Fairview heights, IL – Nov 01, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Wilson Ray, MD?
Dr. Ray is not just a good surgeon, he is an exceptional surgeon. Before and since surgery, Dr. Ray has been caring, compassionate, and extremely patient, thorough and forthright in answering questions and explaining the procedures, risks of surgery and recovery. This was such a complicated and dangerous surgery that in the past it was not even an option. Dr. Ray saved me from everything up to and including becoming a paraplegic. We definitely put our confidence in the right surgeon.
Janet G. in ILLinois – Sep 01, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Wilson Ray, MD?
I had an excellent experience with Dr. Ray. He takes time to explain conditions thoroughly and listens to all questions and concerns. I would recommend him for any of my family members or friends. He is very trustworthy and has a great bedside manner.
St Louis, MO – Jul 13, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Wilson Ray, MD?
Scheduled an appointment with Dr. Ray after my orthopedic Dr recommended surgery for 2 hurniated discs and after years of pain/conservative treatment. They requested all my records and MRIs, which I provided. Was then called a few days later and told that I wasn't going to be seen and they were canceling my appointment. I was told the "Dr didn't want to waste his time". He wasted mine for sure and I had canceled with other Dr's just to see him . Very rude staff and Dr. Would not recommend.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Aug 20, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Wilson Ray, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Ray?