Neurosurgery  |
Dr. William Welch, MD
Dr. William Welch, MD is a neurosurgery doctor who practices in Philadelphia, PA. He is 56 years old and has been practicing for 32 years. Dr. Welch is affiliated with Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.

WASHINGTON SQUARE WEST BUILDING

• Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield
  • Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey

Learn about Dr. Welch

Dr. Welch's Experience

Dr. Welch's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Neurosurgery

• Bone Cancer
  • Brain Cancer
  • Broken Neck
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Chiari's Deformity

• Deep Brain Stimulation
  • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Neuroplasty
  • Neurostimulation
  • Spinal Compression Fracture Repair
  • Spinal Cord Stimulation
  • Spinal Fusion
  • Spinal Nerve Block
  • Spinal Reconstructive Surgery for Deformities

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Pennsylvania.

• SUNY Downstate Medical Center College Of Medicine
  • Montefiore Med Center
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1992
  • Weiler Hosp/Albert Einstein College Med
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1993

Dr. Welch has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Welch does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Welch and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Welch's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Welch to family and friends
4.4
Dr. Welch's Performance
in Oceanview, Delaware |
I've had my last two surgeries preformed by Dr Welch . At that time I lived in South NJ. I now live in Oceanview Delaware, approximately 3.40 Jr's away on a good day . I'm in need of my 5th back surgery and I will make the journey to see Dr Welch . He is an amazing ,brilliant, and down to earth Doctor . I would drive to the end of the earth just to have Dr Welch. I also commend his staff for their meticulous attention to detail and the compassion they have for all of their patients . Kim M
in Cherry Hill, NJ |
I chose Dr. Welch at Penn after extensive research on who to see for my spinal stenosis. From my initial consultation to my last post-op appointment Dr. Welch and his staff treated me with kindness and respect. He was thorough in his explanation of my spine problem and his recommended treatment plan. He answered all of my questions at every appointment. Diana his NP is amazing. I felt 100% confident prior to surgery. I am beyond grateful to Dr. Welch for giving me my life back!
in Monroe a Twp NJ |
After running to several other Drs. I was able to obtain an appointment with Dr a Welch. Took a bit of time but worth the wait. He is very professional, and detailed in his approach. He tends to run late, but I am sure that has to do with him taking adequate time with his patients. He performed the surgery that was needed, and, I have recovered fairly well. Staff at the hospital are more patient friendly than many of the NYC hospitals.
in Hanover Township, PA |
Dr. Welch's team responded quickly to my MRI and symptoms of severe sciatic pain down my leg and into my foot. He performed a discectomy and laminectomy; I felt immediate relief as soon as I stood up after surgery. Dr. Welch is an excellent surgeon. He is thorough and compassionate. His entire neurology team at UPenn is outstanding.
in Philadelphia, PA |
I am relatively new to Dr. Welch,s practice as a referred patient....however upon my very first visit, the reception was like if i had came there every single day...An extremely warm right up front doctor he is, the male nurse who works with him is outstanding, he also is very much a people person..i sincerely look forward to being under Dr. Welch,s highly professional care....
in Plains Pennsylvania |
Dr. Wells was recommended to me by my family doctor and my experience with him was excellent . I had lumbar spinal stenosis L2 to L5. The incision was very neat and clean and my recovery time was minimal. I would recommend him to my friends and family.
in Hazleton, PA |
Dr Welch is very professional and a highly skilled surgeon. After years of pain radiating down my right arm I was finally pain-free the moment I woke up from the surgery. He is a very busy doctor so write down any questions you have before your appointment. He answered all my questions and put me at ease going into the surgery.
in Ephrata, PA |
Dr. Welch put me back in motion after a prior surgery left me without the use of my right shoulder and arm. He was kind, upfront and honest about the possibility of my not having a full recovery and called in other colleagues he thought could help before putting me through a second procedure. The outcome of what he did do was far beyond what he or I thought possible and I continue to get stronger, with more mobility daily. There is no way for me to thank him and his staff enough.
in Forty Fort PA |
Excellent care! I will refer him to everyone who needs a neurosurgeon. He is fantastic!
in Douglassville, Pa |
I went to Dr Welch for a 2nd opinion. Upon meeting with him and his staff I knew he would be my surgeon. He listened, he gave recommendations and he explained everything in detail. On the day of surgery I was very scared. Dr Welch and his staff assured me everything would be okay. Dr. Welch and his helped me to walk again. It was a long and painful road. I am so happy I chose Dr Welch. He is a very caring doctor who listens. Thank you, Angela G
in Wilkes Barre, PA |
Excellent experience! I had surgery by Dr. Welch and 7 weeks later I'm basically pain free. Prior to surgery I was on pain meds, muscle relaxants and anti-inflammatory meds for months. I tried pain management and physical therapy and nothing worked for me. Dr. Welch was able to fix my herniated disc issue. Dr. Welch was knowledgeable and professional in all my dealings with him. He was concerned about my issues and was honest in all our discussions. I would highly recommend D. Welch.
in Morgantown, PA |
Dr. Welch responded immediately when I had a problem. The procedure he performed relieved my pain and allowed me to walk, with assistance, the next day. Dr. Welch asked questions, listened to my answers, answered my questions, and gave me detailed info on my status and prognosis. I have worked with a number of very well known neurosurgeons in the past, including Dr. Zagar and Dr. Jho, and Dr. Welch was the best. His staff was excellent - friendly, knowledgeable and quick to respond.
in Stroudsburg pa |
Amazing
in Drums Pa |
Great world class doctor. Professional in every way, repaired a stenosis at c7 t1 once and done. 7 weeks out I barely know it was done, problem fixed. Great staff, great hospital. What more can you say. Thanks Dr Welsh for giving me my life back.
in Philadelphia, PA |
I would highly recommend Dr. William Welch to everyone. He is a very nice man and an excellent doctor. He is caring and well informed and I was put at ease at once. I was recently at Pennsylvania Hospital for back surgery that was performed by Dr. Welch and I am very pleased with the results. I have six other Doctors at Pennsylvania Hospital who treat me for various things throughout the year and Dr. Welch is very highly regarded by them all.
in New York, NY |
Dr. Welch recently performed a laminectomy on my back. It was absolutely successful and I am now free of the excruciating pain I was suffering. Dr. Welch was wonderful in every way,as was all of his team. I cannot say enough positive about all of them. This is also true of Pennsylvania Hospital and everything I experienced there.
Have you seen Dr. William Welch, MD?
Are you Dr. Welch?

See our Neurosurgery Specialist at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital—Jefferson Health

Visit Dr. Welch