Dr. William Tobler, MD

NeurosurgeryMaleAge 69

Mayfield Brain & Spine

3825 Edwards Rd Ste 300 Cincinnati, OH 45209

Dr. William Tobler, MD is a Neurosurgery Specialist in Cincinnati, OH and has over 43 years of experience in the medical field. Dr. Tobler has more experience with Spine Disorders & Surgical Procedures than other specialists in his area. He graduated from University Of Cincinnati College Of Medicine medical school in 1978. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as Bethesda North Hospital and Christ Hospital. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Tobler to book an appointment.

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Neurosurgery Specialists in your area

Hospital Highlight

Dr. Tobler is affiliated with Christ Hospital Cincinnati, a highly rated hospital.

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    America's 250 Best Hospitals Award™ See hospitals
  • Hospital Satisfaction

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Ohio

Frequently Treated by Dr. Tobler

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Tobler treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Tobler treats other conditions, please contact the office at (513) 221-1100.

Spine Disorders & Surgical Procedures

Spine specialists diagnose and treat conditions affecting the bones of the spine, including degenerative spine disease, herniated discs, stenosis, and fractured vertebrae, with treatments including medication, physical therapy, and surgery.Compare with other Spine Disorders & Surgical Procedures specialists.

Dr. Tobler is experienced in the area of Spine Disorders & Surgical Procedures. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 57 conditions and procedures

Treatments
Similar Providers
Low Back Pain
Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)
Spondylolisthesis

• Brain Surgery
  • Broken Neck
  • Cauda Equina Syndrome
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Shunt - Insertion, Repair or Removal
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease
  • Dural Tear
  • Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
  • Epilepsy
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Traumatic Brain Injury
  • Upper Back Pain
  • Vertebral Column Tumors

Dr. Tobler accepts

Dr. Tobler accepts the following insurance:

Amerigroup (Wellpoint)
Commercial Insurance Company
Golden Rule
HealthPartners
Preferred PPO
Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
Managed Care (Non-HMO)
Worker's Compensation WC

Dr. Tobler's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Tobler

Dr. Tobler
I have total trust in Dr Tobler. His skills are superb and have twice changed my life from one of severe pain and neurological deficit to being pain free and fully functional
Nancy DeBlasis Prewitt – Aug 05, 2021
Dr Tobler performed a L4-l5 TLIF. He is honest, caring and a gifted surgeon. Thanks Dr Tobler! I am back playing pickleball and enjoying life.
Jun 03, 2021
Dr.Tobler performed back fusion surgery on me for the second time in 11 years. My case was critical and I wanted the best neuro surgeon in Cincinnati. Dr. Tobler and his staff were knowledgeable, communicative and caring. I am back to normal activities and playing golf again.
Ray – May 04, 2021
I couldn't have asked for a better experience when I had my surgery with Dr Tobler. He is an excellent surgeon as well as a very kind and compassionate individual. Being in the medical profession myself I reached out to multiple physicians asking their opinion prior to seeing Dr Tobler. Several of them commented, "He's absolutely the best in the city." Two of them said they specifically requested him to perform surgery on their parent. Although I was pretty fearful I was repeatedly told I was in very good hands. Dr Tobler allayed my worries and concisely explained everything answering all my questions which in resulted in soothing all my fears prior to surgery. The surgery, a TLIF procedure, went perfectly and I'm recovering without any complications. He was so patient and understanding with my concerns about returning to work, not pushing me to return until he felt I was ready. Thank you Dr Tobler and all your staff at Mayfield Spine for giving me such excellent care!
Joy – Apr 16, 2021
I had a surgery in 2018 by Dr. Tobler and my life got ruined since then. I am 38 year old and live my life very limited. I went to so many doctors afterwards in and out of the States. They didn’t even think that surgery was a right decision because there was nothing wrong to operate. Yes I made a mistake to decide to have a surgery but how I would know ? I wanted to trust Dr. Tobler because I was so desperate. He was polite, personable, and very confident before surgery that’s how I got convinced but after surgery he said he can’t help me anymore , he offered me another surgery to put a device in my spine to manage the pain. I am wondering if I was his daughter if he still operated me or told me that he can’t help me anymore. I would take the pain I had before the surgery over this.Read Less
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Long wait times
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
O. Kinas – Apr 04, 2021
I had a very positive experience with Mayfield Clinic and everyone involved with my back surgery on January 25, 2021. Dr. Tobler is an excellent surgeon and a great human being. He is compassionate and skilled. I felt comfortable and confident with my back surgery. Within 3 days my back pain was almost totally gone. Every day I feel less pain. I have and will continue to recommend Dr. Tobler and Mayfield Clinic to everyone. Thank you Dr. Tobler and your medical staff for taking such good care of me.
Diane Jergens – Mar 11, 2021
DR. Tobler is one of the best surgeons that I have ever met. He will not operate unless he can fix the problem that you are having. I went to see him about pain in my lower back. He told me that there was nothing to be done with my lower back because the vertebrae had collapsed and fused themselves together . Same story from numerous other surgeons. However, he found a problem in the upper back that could have put me in a wheel chair for life. The surgery went GREAT. Dr. Tobler's team was the best I have ever seen. This even lessened the pain in my lower back! I would recommend Dr. Tobler and his entire team to ANYONE!
George Daulton – Feb 25, 2021
My experience with Doctor. Tobler has all been positive. He and his staff have all ben competent and and courteous. Most importantly, his surgery on my back has solved the problem.. It has been about 7 weeks since the surgery and all is well. I would gladly recommend him to others
Gary Gerwe – Feb 20, 2021
I had suffered low back pain for well over 15 years and Dr. Tobler diagnosed that I needed an L5-S1 fusion using the ALIF (Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion) procedure. The surgery was a great success and I now have no back pain! I had outpatient surgery at the Mayfield Spine Surgery Center and the staff was exceptional. My recovery took about 3 months with Physical Therapy and the therapy staff at Mayfield was also amazing. I have returned to work as a Water Fitness Instructor and feel so much better. It's been a little over 6 months from my surgery and I am at full capacity and training for a backpacking trip and a bicycling trip this year. I look forward to being able to go downhill skiing next winter. Prior to this low back fusion, I had a cervical spine fusion at C4-C5-C6 about 10 years ago and that was also a success story. That is why I returned to Dr. Tobler to have this procedure done.
  • Long wait times
Renee Keith – Feb 05, 2021
My visit with doctor Tobler today went well. Doctor Tobler is highly experienced , very respectful and he gives the patient all the time to ask and listen . I thank God because on 2009 he guided me to the right Neurosurgen who removed a brain tumor that was in a very complicated location.
Ahmed Bouzakti – Jan 13, 2021
In 2013 an MRI showed my scoliosis was degenerating. I met with Dr. Tobler as he had fused cervical discs 20 years earlier. He explained the complexity of the surgery ending by telling me to wait until walking was very difficult. A February, 2020 MRI showed the final lumber disc had herniated. The protocol was to have two epidural injections prior to surgery. With Covid restrictions, the surgery didn’t occur until September. The Vascular surgeon ran into an unexpected vein issue but otherwise everything went as planned. Through this entire process, Dr. Tobler and all his staff have been incredibly professional, courteous and easy to talk to. Knowing I am not a medical professional they always made sure I fully grasped what they were doing or talking about. Yes, this has been a hard road to travel, exactly what Dr. Tobler had told me. I recommend Dr. Tobler to anybody with back issues from the Cervical on down.
Bob Lynch – Jan 05, 2021
I went to Dr. Tobler for a 2nd opinion for my lower back & sciatic nerve pain after spending months thinking I was not a candidate for surgery. He was very caring & understanding of my situation & told me he could perform a surgery that would resolve my back issues. He reassured me that this was a routine surgery for him & he expected me to make a full recovery, which was very comforting. I was scheduled for my surgery right away. It went very smoothly, & Dr. Tobler reported that he was very pleased with the procedure, saying that the problem was very apparent and very straightforward to fix. He described the surgery as going "perfectly" which gave me relief & confidence in my recovery. The lower back pain and nerve pain resolved right after surgery. My recovery has been going well. I am so thankful to Dr. Tobler & his staff for their friendliness & helpfulness. Dr. Tobler truly cared to help bring me back to a normal life, living pain free. My back has not felt this good in 10 years!
Alisha Hundley – Oct 30, 2020
Dr. Tobler, besides being an accomplished doctor, and as important to me as his technical skills, is the very human way that he interacts with his patients. Threats his patients with courtesy while still maintaining the doctor/patient relationship. Answers all questions, not with jargon, but in such a way that the patient actually understands what Dr. Tobler is telling you.
Donald – Oct 29, 2020
My 86 year old dad had been suffering from severe back pain for a very long time. When all non-surgical options failed, Dr. Tobler performed a lumbar fusion on him with great results! Thank you so much for giving my dad his quality of life back!
Oct 16, 2020
My wife had Cervical Spine surgery 10 years ago after suffering with shooting pains and numbness in her arms and hands. Dr. Tobler inserted a Titanium Rod that connected C2 to C9. Wonderful success wonderful bedside manner wonderful follow up. It was ten years later August 2020 when we were in Beaver Creek Co. on a golf trip with a group from our Country Club here in Naples Florida when that area C7, T1 collapsed causing an immediate flight back to Cincinnati. Dr. Tobler saw Linda the next day and performed emergency surgery the next day to repair and replace the Titanium rod. After 5 1/2 hours another brilliant success with the same wonderful bedside manner and follow up care. My wife now is recovering and walking straight again without pain. Brilliant surgeon, endearing bedside manner, fabulous Result. Thank you Dr. Tobler. John and Linda Polasky Naples, Florida.??
John and Linda Polasky – Aug 15, 2020
Dr Tobler is phenomenal neurosurgeon
Aug 01, 2020
Dr. Tobler is an excellent neurosurgeon and we are blessed to have him here in Cincinnati. My husband had major cervical spine surgery in mid-June and his surgery and recovery could not have gone any better. His support team is the best, and Dr. Tobler is very skilled in surgery as well as pre-op and post-op care. You cannot go wrong with Mayfield or with William Tobler - I am an experienced medical-surgical nurse, and I know this to be true. After all, I trusted my own husband to his care.
Anne Ketzer, RN, BSN, MA – Aug 01, 2020
I had an issue with a pinched nerve in my neck causing pain including pain going down my left arm.I had lost about half the strength in my left arms bicep and shoulder muscles. I had seen a surgeon for this and he took xrays and sent me for an MRI. Then the "shutdown" came from the covid-19 pandemic. I got a call from the surgeons staff saying, we're sorry, we can't help you at this time. I was left hanging in limbo.I found the Mayfield Spine website and contacted an initial care person and provided details of my problem and gave access to my test results. Dr. Tobler reviewed my case file and I was contacted to make an appointment to see him. Dr. Tobler went over my case and could tell from the test results and my symptoms that I would need a three level ACDF. I got the surgery within 10 days. The pain was gone! I was really impressed with Dr. Tobler and his staff, and the care I got at the Mayfield surgical center. Dr. Tobler and Mayfield Spine are amazing! Highly Recommended!
VINCENT G VENTURA – Apr 20, 2020
Tobler was very concerned about potential permanent nerve pain based upon his observation of the physical weakness in leg/foot. I had a TLIF done on L5-S1 in December of 2019. Very impressed with absolutely no back pain (only some stiffness and I think a lot of this is due to age.) Working my way back to the Golf Course after only 13 weeks and 6 weeks of helpful PT. I have "drop foot" in my foot but have been working towards gaining normalcy again. This is not a result of the Fusion; due to waiting so long to get the Fusion done. The Doctor's team of well qualified Personnel, (including K. Niece who helped me keep my sanity during Their care) was absolutely the best care I have ever received. Dr. Tobler was candid, empathetic, and totally professional. I would say one would have to be very satisfied with this kind of treatment. It takes about a year for the nerve regeneration to take place in order to fix the drop foot issue if it is going to be possible to fix. Great Job!
brian ellis – Apr 15, 2020
Dr. Tobler operated on my back as an out patient at The Mayfield Clinic. I had suffered off and on for six years with back, buttocks, hip and leg pain. Dr. Tobler, after an MRI, knew exactly what was causing the problem. He went in and cleared the pinched nerve and I am now totally 100% pain free.
Jim Barre in Cincinnati, OH – Feb 12, 2020

How was your experience with Dr. Tobler?

To diagnose and treat patients neurological condition with compassion, skill and excellent service

Professor of Neurosurgery