Dr. William Tobler, MD

Dr. Tobler
Telehealth services available

Mayfield Brain & Spine

3825 Edwards Rd Ste 300 Cincinnati, OH 45209

Dr. William Tobler, MD is a Neurosurgery Specialist in Cincinnati, OH and has over 42 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from University Of Cincinnati College Of Medicine medical school in 1978. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as Bethesda North Hospital and Christ Hospital. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Tobler to book an appointment.

Compare Providers

Quickly compare more Neurosurgery Specialists in your area

See similar Neurosurgery Specialists in Cincinnati

• Recent Reviews
    Reviews made in the last 30 days. See reviews
  • Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Hospital Satisfaction

Dr. Tobler accepts

Dr. Tobler accepts the following insurance:

Amerigroup (Wellpoint)
Coventry Health America PPO
Golden Rule
HealthPartners
Preferred PPO
Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
Managed Care (Non-HMO)
WellCare PPO
WellPoint
Worker's Compensation
Worker's Compensation WC

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Ohio

Check Dr. Tobler's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Tobler's Top Procedures and Conditions

Low Back Pain

Dr. Tobler treats Low Back Pain more than 99% of his peers

Dr. Tobler treats this condition more than 99% of his peers

Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)

Dr. Tobler treats Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement) more than 98% of his peers

Dr. Tobler treats this condition more than 98% of his peers

• Cauda Equina Syndrome
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Shunt - Insertion, Repair or Removal
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease
  • Epidural Hematoma
  • Epilepsy
  • Extradural Hemorrhage
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Meningiomas
  • Nerve Block, Somatic
  • Nerve Destruction by Neurolytic Agent
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Neuroplasty
  • Torticollis
  • Traumatic Brain Injury
  • Vertebral Column Tumors

Help Improve Healthgrades

Does Dr. William Tobler, MD...

Have free onsite parking?

Communicate via email?

Offer evening visits?

Offer telehealth services or virtual visits?

Offer an online patient portal?

Dr. Tobler's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Tobler

4.5

Dr. Tobler?
Dr Tobler is phenomenal neurosurgeon
Aug 01, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Tobler, MD?
Dr. Tobler is an excellent neurosurgeon and we are blessed to have him here in Cincinnati. My husband had major cervical spine surgery in mid-June and his surgery and recovery could not have gone any better. His support team is the best, and Dr. Tobler is very skilled in surgery as well as pre-op and post-op care. You cannot go wrong with Mayfield or with William Tobler - I am an experienced medical-surgical nurse, and I know this to be true. After all, I trusted my own husband to his care.
Anne Ketzer, RN, BSN, MA – Aug 01, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Tobler, MD?
I had an issue with a pinched nerve in my neck causing pain including pain going down my left arm.I had lost about half the strength in my left arms bicep and shoulder muscles. I had seen a surgeon for this and he took xrays and sent me for an MRI. Then the "shutdown" came from the covid-19 pandemic. I got a call from the surgeons staff saying, we're sorry, we can't help you at this time. I was left hanging in limbo.I found the Mayfield Spine website and contacted an initial care person and provided details of my problem and gave access to my test results. Dr. Tobler reviewed my case file and I was contacted to make an appointment to see him. Dr. Tobler went over my case and could tell from the test results and my symptoms that I would need a three level ACDF. I got the surgery within 10 days. The pain was gone! I was really impressed with Dr. Tobler and his staff, and the care I got at the Mayfield surgical center. Dr. Tobler and Mayfield Spine are amazing! Highly Recommended!
VINCENT G VENTURA – Apr 20, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Tobler, MD?
Tobler was very concerned about potential permanent nerve pain based upon his observation of the physical weakness in leg/foot. I had a TLIF done on L5-S1 in December of 2019. Very impressed with absolutely no back pain (only some stiffness and I think a lot of this is due to age.) Working my way back to the Golf Course after only 13 weeks and 6 weeks of helpful PT. I have "drop foot" in my foot but have been working towards gaining normalcy again. This is not a result of the Fusion; due to waiting so long to get the Fusion done. The Doctor's team of well qualified Personnel, (including K. Niece who helped me keep my sanity during Their care) was absolutely the best care I have ever received. Dr. Tobler was candid, empathetic, and totally professional. I would say one would have to be very satisfied with this kind of treatment. It takes about a year for the nerve regeneration to take place in order to fix the drop foot issue if it is going to be possible to fix. Great Job!
brian ellis – Apr 15, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Tobler, MD?
Dr. Tobler operated on my back as an out patient at The Mayfield Clinic. I had suffered off and on for six years with back, buttocks, hip and leg pain. Dr. Tobler, after an MRI, knew exactly what was causing the problem. He went in and cleared the pinched nerve and I am now totally 100% pain free.
Jim Barre in Cincinnati, OH – Feb 12, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Tobler, MD?
I had a great experience with Dr. Tobler and the surgery he performed. At age 63, I helped lift a TV, and my life changed. It was immediate, disabling, pain- like nothing I had ever experienced, and I had to walk bent forward so I didn't scream. I called my original back doc, who insisted it would resolve itself. After a month, nothing had changed. 2 friends recommended Tobler. I made an appointment with his assistant, who scheduled an MRI. 3 days after that I met Dr. Tobler. He said I had a severely herniated disc and needed surgery asap. We scheduled the surgery for the following Monday. When I woke up after the surgery, the pain was gone. It's now a year later. Some mornings I am stiff until I walk around a bit. I sometimes lean on a heating pad while I have a cup of coffee to loosen me up. But mostly, I don't think about my back. I walk my dog an hour a day. I've been on 4 hour hikes. Dr. Tobler changed my life and maybe even saved it. I hope you have the same experience.
Paul Allen – Jan 07, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Tobler, MD?
I would highly recommend Dr Tobler. I was scared and in pain. He took such good care of me. From start to finish The Mayfield is top notch. I went to Mayfield physical therapy afterwards and the ladies Tammie an Jen helped me get back on my feet. I couldn't have done it without Dr Tobler and his wonderful team!
Pamela Robertson – Nov 14, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Tobler, MD?
I came in scared and in pain. Dr Tobler was kind and reassured me. I knew I was in good hands. The whole experience from start to finish went very smooth.
Pamela Robertson – Oct 08, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Tobler, MD?
I’ve re-read Tobler’s response to my honest posting regarding my experience with him. As usual his ego is on display. He never clearly explained what he was going to do. Then, after the surgery he back peddled with his explanation. I see other reviews with similar comments. I’ve had several top surgeons evaluate all the files and they just shake their heads in disbelief. So I’m left with years of constant pain and disability. And his comments years later it’s “not fair to blame the Dr. You have a chronic condition that can’t be cured”.. So why did his not mention that at the time so I could have made a better decision? I corresponded several times with Mayfield Mgt. But realized I had no recourse. Before you leave his office you are required to sign your life away. The ship has sailed for me but if o can help anyone considering Dr Tobler beware. Don’t let his ego get in your way. Mayfield is an excellent clinic. Just be cautious. Where are the other one star ?? reviews??
Bob Slavik – Oct 08, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Tobler, MD?
10 years ago the doctor performed spinal surgery on me, inserting rods and spinal cage. Before I could take two steps and crumble, now I can play 18 holes of golf, go dancing that night and wake up feeling like a champ at 68 years old. I highly recommend anyone with back problems to contact Dr. Tobler for consultation and if necessary surgery. I only want the best surgeon working on me and Dr. Tobler is the BEST!
Wendell Parrish – Sep 18, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Tobler, MD?
I was seeing an orthopedic spine specialist for several years for sciatica. I scheduled an appointment with Dr. Tobler for a second opinion. He was thorough and took as much time as I needed to explain what his plan would be. I stayed with Dr. Tobler and he performed a TLIF procedure in June of 2019. My pain went away almost immediately. I have gotten my life back thanks to Dr. Tobler and his his excellent staff. I highly recommend Dr. Tobler and Mayfield Brain and Spine.
Cindy Burley – Sep 12, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Tobler, MD?
I have been a physician in the Cincinnati area for 42 years. During that time, I have personally had lower back surgery from Dr. Tobler as well as having family members use him for a very serious surgeries. I also, have referred many many patients to him without a single complaint. He does excellent work. I will continue to Refer people to him for back surgery and anything neurosurgical. You cannot do better than Dr. Tobler.
Aug 07, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Tobler, MD?
Dr. Tobler performed a spinal fusion on me (including insertion of a titanium "cage") in March 2019. Results were and continue to be excellent. I appreciated how Dr. Tobler and his excellent PA (David Doyle) explained options and procedures to me along the way; especially helpful was seeing all of my MRI's and x-rays pre-op and post-op. I received clear explanations of what the films showed and got a true sense of the very positive change the operation had effected. Dr. Tobler visited me twice during my inpatient hospital stay; his PA also visited. Immediately after the operation, Dr. Tobler met with my wife to explain what the operation had entailed and how it had gone. Lastly, I want to compliment Dr. Tobler's staff--especially his scheduler and nurses. They are efficient and caring individuals. Overall, I recommend Dr. Tobler highly.
Peter Schiff – Jun 23, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Tobler, MD?
In a few short months I deteriorated from cane to walker to wheelchair, Dr. Tobler successfully performed a decompression laminoplasty w fusion and an ACDF on C345. The electrical shooting pain was immediately relieved and two weeks post surgery I am walking. All peripheral limbs were affected with myelopathy, and now I only have my hands and feet to recover through ongoing therapy. I am very grateful to have this surgery expertly performed and to feel alive again.
Jun 23, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Tobler, MD?
I would highly recommend the Mayfield Clinic to anyone.
Michael Gard in Tipp City, OH – Jun 21, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Tobler, MD?
My experience with Dr. William Tobler from the very beginning has been wonderful. He’s a very compassionate and caring doctor. During my first visit to his office in Cincinnati, OH, he immediately diagnosed the condition of my back and nerve pain and realized how serious the condition was. Rather than wait three months for surgery, he rearranged his schedule to perform surgery within 9 days. His staff was very helpful in finding a doctor to do a complete physical in preparation for the surgery as I live in Nashville, TN. The timing was crucial for my medical condition. If I would have continued without surgery, I would have been in a wheelchair for the rest of my life. My disks were shot and unstable. He fused L4, L5, and S1 and completely rebuilt my spine. The surgery was very successful, no complications, and now I can walk straight. I am extremely grateful for all that Dr. Tobler has done. -Norma Sparks
Apr 24, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Tobler, MD?
Excellent surgeon, Dr. William Tobler. He is the best. Sincerely, Denise Tolbert
Apr 08, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Tobler, MD?
6 years ago today DR. Tobler fused L4-L5 and L5-S1 and I feel great. I’m still able to do two of my favorite things, backpack and downhill ski. This year I’ve skied Jackson Hole and Copper MTN. Thank you DR Tobler for allowing me to keep my outdoor adventures
Mar 11, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Tobler, MD?
Dr. Tobler and the entire staff at Mayfield clinic are wonderful to work with. They explained my surgery in detail, and made my recovery from pain possible! I needed three discs replaced in my neck, with bone grafted from my hip. While I am still recovering, the pain and numbness that were a constant part of my life is almost completely gone! I am actually looking forward to physical therapy, and the pain free and ACTIVE life I will lead! Janet Rahe
Janet Rahe in Mason, OH – Sep 27, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Tobler, MD?
I had cervical spine surgery in 2015 and lumbar spinal surgery in November 2017 performed by Dr. Tobler at the Mayfield Spine Surgery Center. Dr. Tobler was highly recommended by my primary care physician and, I found, with good reason. I found Dr. Tobler to highly professional and empathetic which made it a comfortable experience. His demeanor gave me great confidence in the quality of medical care I was receiving. In both surgeries I had a excellent outcome. His staff was excellent too.
Gary Robbins in Cincinnati, OH – Jul 06, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Tobler, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Tobler?

To diagnose and treat patients neurological condition with compassion, skill and excellent service

• Neurosurgery

University Of Cincinnati College Of Medicine
1974
University Of Notre Dame

Common Questions and Answers

• Does Dr. Tobler communicate via email?

2 users said yes. What's your ?

• Does Dr. Tobler offer telehealth services or virtual visits?

2 users said yes. What's your ?

• Does Dr. Tobler offer an online patient portal?

1 user said yes. What's your ?

• Does Dr. Tobler have free onsite parking?

2 users said yes. What's your ?

• Does Dr. Tobler offer weekend visits?

No responses yet. What's your ?

• Does Dr. Tobler offer evening visits?

1 user said no. What's your ?

Please call the office to learn more. (513) 221-1100