Neurosurgery  |
Dr. William Tobler, MD
Professor of Neurosurgery University of Cincinnati College of Medicine Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

3825 Edwards Rd Ste 300

Cincinnati, OH 45209

• Amerigroup (Wellpoint)
  • Bakery & Confectionary Union Plan
  • Centene
  • Golden Rule
  • HealthPartners
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • Managed Care (Non-HMO)

Learn about Dr. Tobler

See how frequently Dr. Tobler performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Herniated Disc Surgery
Low Back Pain
Spinal Fusion

Dr. Tobler's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Tobler "To diagnose and treat patients neurological condition with compassion, skill and excellent service"

• Neurosurgery

• Cauda Equina Syndrome
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebral Vascular Disease
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease
  • Chiari's Deformity
  • Cranial Trauma
  • Ear Disorders
  • Epilepsy
  • Extradural Hemorrhage
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Meningiomas
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Osteosarcoma

• Craniectomy, Craniotomy, Surgery of Skull Base, Neuroendoscopy
  • Disc Replacement
  • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
  • Epidural Lysis of Adhesions (LOA)
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Nerve Block, Somatic
  • Spinal Cord Stimulation
  • Spinal Fusion
  • Spinal Nerve Block
  • Spinal Reconstructive Surgery for Deformities

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Ohio.

• University of Notre Dame
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1974
  • University Of Cincinnati College Of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 1978
  • Good Samaritan Hospital
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1979
  • University Of Cincinnati/Mayfield Clinic
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1985

Dr. Tobler has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Tobler does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Tobler and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Tobler's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Tobler to family and friends
4.3
Dr. Tobler's Performance
Granger, IN |
Dr Tobler @ Mayfield Clinic was hands down what I considered to be the best neurosurgeon for me when needing treatment of a c6-7 herniated disc. I saw many other physicians, and none gave me the confidence nor surgical options that he was able to provide (artificial disc replacement), resulting to what I believe was the best prognosis. Traveling almost 5 hours to receive care from him and his staff was absolutely worth it.
Heber City, UT |
i recently had 7 vertabrae fusion surgery and dr tobler of the mayfield clinic was outstanding in all respects. i would and have already been giving him the highest recommendations to my friends and family.
in Cincinnati, OH |
Dr. Tobler did nothing short of a miracle and treating my condition. Dr. Tobler's colleagues all recommended that this may be a risky surgery, which it was. After many hours of searching in his mind he decided to go ahead and do this surgery. In June 2000 16, I was leaning forward like a 90 year old man with osteoporosis. At this point I am in recovery and I am able to stand upright with or without my brace, I have zero pain. Although your results may be different Dr. Tobler is the best.
in Wilmington, OH |
Drr Tobler and his staff were very efficient, compassionate and caring.. I had severe sciatica pain,, numbness and tingling in lower extremities. After consulting 2 other surgeons, I felt that Dr. Tobler was very competent in every way.. My lumber surgery with 3 fusions was a success with all symptoms resolved. I would use him again, no question.. I
Oxford, OH |
Dr. Tobler is friendly until something goes wrong. He discusses treatment plans but fails to document the plan for his colleagues to refer back to when you call. After surgery, follow-up care is minimal at best. He refers his patients to a wound clinics rather than check post-op incisions. He's extremely busy which has caused him to miss critical imaging and lab work before surgery. If you use him, have a rehab plan, pain treatment plan and backup physician in case of complications.
Unfortunately this patient is unhappy. She has a complex problem and her issues will be chronic. Despite her comments we work diligently to serve all the needs of our patients. We rely on wound clinics to help care for complicated wound healing problems.
in Harrison, OH |
I have lived with pain and numbness in my right leg for ten+ years. I have had multiple epidurals and have used physical therapy to avoid surgery as long as possible. As my condition worsened I was left no choice but to have surgery. After asking around I settled on the decision to see Dr. Tobler with hopes that he would be able to help me. He recommended the Axialif procedure. I was very glad that I chose Dr. Tobler and also opted for the Axialif. I am now pain-free.
in Cincinnati, OH |
I would like to thank William Tobler, MD and his entire staff for my outstanding treatment that I received during a very difficult time with my back. The professionalism and compassion demonstrated by Dr. Tobler and his staff was truly amazing. My lower back surgery was performed in February. Follow-up visits commenced after surgery along with physical therapy. By June, I was back on the golf course. I enjoy being pain free. I would recommend Dr. Tobler 110 percent!
in Milford, OH |
I'm writing my story to tell you that Dr. Tobler is truly the best. November of 1996, I was involved in car accident and I needed spinal surgery. Dr. Tobler did that surgery (fusion of S1 to L4), I can tell you with the utmost confidence that you can trust this surgeon. The surgery was a success. Now 20 years later, December 5 2016, I needed another surgery, instablility of L2-L3. Again, the surgery was a success. I am very grateful to Dr. Tobler and you won't be disappointed with him.
in Cincinnati, OH |
Dr. Tobler and his staff consistently exceeded my expectations with my care. He performed an ACDF on C3-C7, with bone graft in July 2016. In Feb. 2017 he performed Bilateral Carpal Tunnel Decompression. The pain that I suffered with both conditions virtually disappeared after each surgery. The follow-up care by Dr. Tobler for both surgeries has been exemplary. He always spends more than enough time on all of my appointments to evaluate my status. Dr. Tobler is a very patient & caring Surgeon
in batavia |
Just a follow up on previous review. If you opt for surgery, specify that Dr. Tobler do the surgery himself. Don't have complete proof but am 95% sure he allowed his resident asst. practice on me because it was a routine surgery and he is covering up his mistake. 6 months later, still on a cane with bad foot drop and little control of right leg due to L5 nerve damage left from disc surgery on L2/L3 disc. If I had complete proof, We would be in court. BEWARE of the switch.
I am sorry that Mr Cole is unhappy. As a professor of neurosurgery I train the next generation of surgeons. Despite his statement, the resident does not practice on patients. I was his surgeon, I did his surgery, the resident assisted. There are no routine surgeries in neurosurgery. False accusations like this have no place in a review. Mr Cole failed to acknowledge that I cured his main issue of incapacitating pain. Also the foot weakness is modest and expected to make a full recovery.
in Owensboro |
I've had to take my wife who suffered severe pain from spinal stenosis as well as sciatica pain for the past several years. One doctor after another would only prescribe fusion back surgery until, with the help of Cincinnati based family learned of Dr. William Tobler. We took their advise and made the commitment to have Dr. Tobler evaluate my wife and his approach to helping her pain. The outpatient surgery was done on Nov. 4th, and she is doing outstanding. Dr. Tobler is # 1 in our book.
in Carlisle, Pa |
I am a mid 60’s male who was forced to stop work due to severe back pain. I discovered that there is a procedure known as Axial Lumbar Interbody Fusion (AxiaLIF®). NO muscles get cut which prolongs recovery. The closest Doctor I could find is located in Cincinnati, Ohio. He is Doctor William D. Tobler and he has performed over 2,000 of these procedures. Dr. Tobler, his aDr. Tobler, his assistant Dr. Bryan Kruger came to check on me every morning at 6 AM and again at 8 PM without fail
in Cincinnati, OH |
Words can’t fully express how thankful I am to Dr.Tobler and the staff at the Mayfield Center and Christ Hospital. Because he was willing to go beyond the call of duty, taking my very unusual, difficult, complicated and risky case, I am now able to live life to the fullest. His exceptional knowledge and experience are second to none. He assured me that he would give my case the utmost attention and 150% effort and he delivered. I am now pain free and very thankful he was able to help me!
in Cincinnati, OH |
I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis and first went the epidural route, with a pain management physician, which was not successful. Dr. Tobler operated on my back and I walked out of the surgery that day. I was able to walk with no pain within days. Dr. Tobler did a fantastic job (miraculous). Dr. Tobler has great office and bed-side manners and clearly deserves his reputation as one of the finest spine surgeons in the greater Cincinnati community.
in Cincinnati, OH |
Dr. Tobler Is carrying personable and really knows what he is doing I fell off a roof and broke my back and he put me back together 2 rods eight screws it was on emergency call I happen to get him and I am so glad I highly recommend him my scars on my back are healing So nicely Thanks Dr. Taylo thanks Dr. Tonler you are the best !!!
in Cincinnati, OH |
There are a few occasions in my life when a doctor has made a huge impact on my health and well-being. Such is the case with Dr. William Tobler. In May, I underwent cervical spine surgery at Mayfield?s Spine Surgery Center. The care was amazing from start to finish. Dr. Tobler is an incredible surgeon ? conscientious and thoughtful - and I am so grateful that he accepted my case. For the first time in over two years, I have hope that I will make a full recovery and live without pain!
in Cincinnati Ohio |
I had such horrible back pain from herniated discs and central spinal stenosis that I was living on pain Meds !! I had my surgery with Dr Tobler on Jan 8th. After the initial post op pain I had to take pain Meds but now I am completely pain free. Dr tobler had had such a positive impact on me and my daily life..,,,, now medication free and pain free!! He is the greatest and so nice and caring too!! Thank you. Donna Brady
Morrow, OH |
Dr. Tobler was so professional, skilled and kind! He has an amazing bedside manner. His confidence in his recommendations made me feel very comfortable, especially since he provided specific reasoning for the recommendations. I can tell he truly cares for my well being. The facility was terrific. The entire staff were extremely kind and considerate. His assistant is very responsive, timely and helpful. The day of my surgery his surgical team made me feel at ease at a very uneasy time. The BEST!
in Cincinnati, OH |
Dr. Tobler's experience/knowledge about a less invasive procedure to take away my pain and give back my quality of life left me confident Dr. Tobler would take care of me. My recovery time was shorter than I expected and I feel great. I wish I would have gone to see Dr. Tobler sooner.
in Hamilton, OH |
Dr. Tobler is very knowledgeable and compassionate. He was the only Dr. that could exactly define the problem with the pain I was experiencing. I trusted his judgement and I am thrilled with the successful surgery outcome. I would recommend and urge anyone with back pain to seek a consultation with Dr. Tobler. Simply put he gave me my life back. My Family thanks you.
Have you seen Dr. William Tobler, MD?

Visit Dr. Tobler

• Bakery & Confectionary Union Plan
  • Centene
  • Golden Rule
  • HealthPartners
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • Managed Care (Non-HMO)