Dr. William Tang, MD

Dr. William Tang, MD

Vitreoretinal Disease & Surgery  |
Dr. William Tang, MD is a vitreoretinal disease & surgery doctor who practices in Natick, MA. He is 49 years old and has been practicing for 24 years. Read his story

182 W Central St Ste 102

Natick, MA 01760

• Bakery & Confectionary Union Plan
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Louisiana
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
  • CoreSource
  • Fallon Community Health Plan

Learn about Dr. Tang

See how frequently Dr. Tang performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Retinal Vein Occlusion
Retina Diseases
high
Benign Neoplasm of Choroid
high

Dr. Tang's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Tang's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Tang "Dr. Tang is a Retina Specialist and Surgeon in Natick, Massachusetts, specializing in the treatment of Age-Related Macular Degeneration, Diabetic Retinopathy, and Retinal Detachments. He is board-certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology. Dr. Tang received his medical degree from Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in 1993. He received his ophthalmology residency training at the Medical College of Wisconsin, and then completed his retina fellowship at Ophthalmic Consultants of Boston/Tufts Medical Center. He subsequently became a full-time retina surgeon at the Boston University Medical Center. He was an Instructor at Harvard Medical School and a surgeon at the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary. Since 2001, Dr. Tang has been providing full-time retina eye care to patients at his office in Natick, Massachusetts. Dr. Tang sees patients with all sorts of retina problems, such as Age-Related Macular Degeneration, Diabetic Retinopathy, Retinal Tears and Detachment, and Central Serous Chorioretinopathy. Dr. Tang also sees patients with other complex eye problems requiring detailed medical or surgical evaluations. Most patients see Dr. Tang at the recommendation of their own eye doctors or primary care physicians. Dr. Tang regularly performs surgery at Surgisite Boston, a premiere eye surgery center located in Waltham, Mass. Dr. Tang is affiliated with Tufts Medical Center, Metrowest Medical Center, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, and UMASS Memorial Medical Center. He regularly gives lectures to community optometrists as part of a Continuing Education program. He holds academic appointments at Tufts University School of Medicine and at UMass Medical School. He is a member of the American Society of Retina Specialists, and a fellow of the American Academy of Ophthalmology."

This content was provided by Dr. Tang "I am passionate about achieving the best vision possible for each patient that I see every day. Vision is a precious gift. When there is a retina problem, sometimes the solution is simple, and sometimes it requires a great deal of effort. Every patient has a unique story. Some are joyful stories. Some are sad stories. But they all inspire me to want to provide the best care possible."

• Vitreoretinal Disease & Surgery

• Anterior Ischemic Optic Neuropathy
  • Benign Neoplasm of Choroid
  • Benign Neoplasm of Eye
  • Chorioretinal Scars
  • Diabetic Macular Edema (DME)
  • Diabetic Retinopathy
  • Retinal Dystrophy
  • Retinal Hemorrhage
  • Retinal Ischemia
  • Retinal Vein Occlusion
  • Retinitis Pigmentosa (RP)
  • Temporal Arteritis

• Retinal Laser Surgery
  • Retinal Surgery
  • Scleral Buckling
  • Vitrectomy
  • Vitrectomy (incl. Macular Hole Repair)
  • Vitreoretinal Surgery

No malpractice history found for Massachusetts.

• Johns Hopkins Univ Sch Of Med
    Medical School | Graduated 1993
  • St Luke's Med Center Wi
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1994
  • Med Coll Wi
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1997
  • Ophthalmic Consultants Boston
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1998

Dr. Tang has no media or publications listed.

• Chinese, Cantonese
  • Italian
  • Portuguese

Dr. Tang does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Tang and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Tang's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Tang to family and friends
4.3
Dr. Tang's Performance
in Watertown, MA |
I am extremely pleased with the exceptional care and excellent office experience provided by Dr, Tang and his wonderful staff. I've had several office visits from diagnosis, surgery and follow up and each visit was friendly, on time and professional. Dr. Tang improved my vision greatly and I am very confident and happy to continue under his care.
in West Roxbury, MA |
would highly recommend Dr. Tang-very efficient-explained what happened to my eye (torn retina) and performed laser correction-all done quickly and painlessly. Follow up was the same
in Franklin, MA |
Dr. Tang and his office staff are very professional, courteous and expressive of their caring for their patients. Dr. Tang himself was upfront and honest in his interactions with me - and I felt very comfortable asking questions of him and interacting with him.
in Foxboro, MA |
Dr. Tang might be a very competent doctor but he appears to schedule patients so tightly that he is so busy he does not have time to spend time with the patient. His "bedside manner" is poor. I went away today confused about my condition and I am a health professional.
in Grafton, MA |
Dr. tang has been my Dr. since he first started his practice. He has done many surgeries on my eyes over the years to save my eye sight. I cannot say enough good things about his talent and care of his patients. He goes above and beyond in caring for his patients!
in Natick, MA |
Dr. Tang deals with stressful situations all day long (it is OK to lose a tooth - it is not OK to lose an eye) and does it brilliantly. His skills as a surgeon are impeccable, his attention to detail is impressive and his staff is highly organized and friendly. He saved my sight, for which he has my undying gratitude, and he could save yours one day.
in Fall River, MA |
I have been a patient of Dr. Tang's for over 17 years. I started seeing him for retinal tears and continue to see him. He's had to perform laser surgery several times. He's an AMAZING Doctor! I highly recommend him! He's extremely intelligent, knowledgeable and well versed in his field. He is detailed oriented, does a thorough exam, very trustworthy and answers all my questions. I drive 1.5 hours to see him and wouldn't hesitate to drive 1.5 more!
in Medway, MA |
He is an outstanding doctor. His staff is friendly and efficient
in Franklin, MA |
Dr. Tang has appeared to specialize particularly retina related issues and per my experience extremely competent, effective, and efficient.
Canton, MA |
He is hands down the best eye Doctor I have been involved with period..
in Hudson, MA |
Too my son in emergency his eye doctor detected blood in retina. Went to this office that afternoon. Since this had just happened and questions. He is very busy running from room to room and seemed impatient with questions just kept answering me with what he would do next then out to desk pay and schedule appt. No answers. It was like I am telling you what I am going to do so just listen and do it. Next day at Mass Eye Ear with top man Dr Lowenthal who answered every ? I asked &I some I didn't
Weston, MA |
Excellent by every criteria Office staff exceptional also
in Sharon, MA |
I've been seeing Dr Tang for the past few years. He has a great office staff and offers top of the line care. He takes the time to not only explain details to you, but also to family members if they are present. After a procedure it is common to get a call from Dr Tang personally later in that day to see how things are going.
in Medway, MA |
Dr. Tang saw me within a few hours of being diagnosed with a detached retina. He explained the seriousness of the condition and explained in detail what my responsibilities would be after surgery. The next day I had the surgery and exactly two months later I was okayed to get my eyes examined for new glasses. I would highly recommend Dr. Tang to anyone who has retina issues. He is very busy but always finds time for all his patients. In addition, his staff is very friendly and competent.
in Marlborough, MA |
When I had a detached retina in one eye, I was very concerned that I would lose my vision permanently. Dr. Tang eased my fears and his professionalism convinced me I was in the right hands. The surgery was very successful, so when the retina detached in my other eye, I was not worried because I knew I could go back to Dr. Tang and he would take care of it. I have the utmost confidence in Dr. Tang and would recommend him to everyone.
in Gloucester, MA |
I became a patient of Dr. Tang approximately eight yrs ago. I was referred by my ophthalmologist for a partially detached retina. I meet with D, Tang the same day as the referral and was operated on the next day. DR Tang takes a interest in his patients. He provides a complete exam and follows up with a letter to me and my ophthalmologist after each visit.
in East Taunton, MA |
In over fifteen years as a patient, I have had the utmost confidence in Dr. Tang's professional abilities as a specialized physician and surgeon in retinal care. I am very satisfied with the scheduling and follow up of staff as well.
in Wayland, MA |
Dr. Tang was referred to me by my cataract surgeon when I suffered a retina detachment a few months after surgery. My surgeon called Dr. Tang and left a voice mail, which was returned within 5 minutes and he offered to see me at 8:30 pm that evening. I feel very fortunate that I was referred to Dr. Tang - he is brilliant and performed surgery quickly and expertly - I feel he saved my sight. His bedside manner is challenging; however, he certainly knows his craft well.
in Wayland, MA |
Dr. Tang is a very dedicated doctor and a skilled surgeon. Dr. Tang operated on my detached retina and I am now with perfect corrected eyesight.
in Uxbridge, MA |
I have to say Dr. Tang is the most wonderful Specialist in detecting any possible medical issues that could save a life!! I know -- he saved my life. I would and do recommend Dr. Tang to everyone with any problem regarding issues with their eyes. He is kind, patient, and professional and takes the time to answer any concerns you have. He is dedicated to providing the best care available to his patients, and his employees are amazing as well. Joan Barisano a proud patient.
in Framingham, MA |
Dr. Tang is an expert at retina care. He takes time to explain the condition, treatment and sets expectations. He took me in immediately upon onset of symptoms and performed laser surgery later that day, then called later to check on me. Dr. Tang runs a tight ship. He begins early in the morning and stays late. The pace is fast, and the operation runs like clockwork. The rooms are set up like a 5S process. If you go, have the courtesy to put your phone on vibrate and show up on time.
in Bellingham, MA |
I was referred to Dr. Tang when my ophthalmologist noticed I had a partially torn retina. He saw me that same day and performed surgery the next day. Dr. Tang did a great job and the band he put around my eye to hold the retina in place is still going strong four years later. I have great confidence in Dr. Tang and would recommend him to anyone with retina issues. He really seems to care about his patients and always asks if you have any questions before you leave his office.
in Natick, MA |
It all started when my optometrist found evidence of retinal tears after I reported floaters. It was about 4PM and they called Dr. Tang. He agreed to meet me at his office that night. He opened the office off hours and gave a treatment that evening. It's now several months after multiple treatments to both eyes and I have my sight! My next appointment is in 6 months. I am so relieved! Fred V. Cowen, P.E.
in Sudbury, MA |
Dr Tang is an extremely capable surgeon who's skill is responsible for saving my vision due to a sudden partial detachment of the retina. His follow-up treatment and ongoing evaluations thru office visits have proved to be extremely beneficial. However, since he is the only practitioner within the office, wait times can be lengthy - however, this is a small inconvenience in exchange of being attended to by such a skilled individual.
in Canton, MA |
I havereceived the most excellenent care and treatment that anyone could ask
in Dedham, MA |
I was refereed to Dr. Tang for an emergency retina detachment. I was taken promptly. The care and consideration I received was excellent. The surgery was preformed the following day. The follow ups were very comforting. A week later I had a torn retina repair preformed in his office. I appreciate the signage in the office about silencing your devises because the last thing I want was for the Doctor or I to be startled while the retina tear was repaired. Both surgeries were very successful.
Natick, MA |
I was referred to Dr. Tang for repair of a retinal detachment. He took the time to explain everything to me, and did a thorough exam pre-op. My vision is great, and I have had no problems post-operatively (I am now almost 2 years out). He always answers all my questions at follow-up, and is clearly an expert in his field. I highly recommend him.
in North Andover, MA |
My husband experienced a spontaneous retinal detachment in July 2011 . His optometrist referred him to Dr Tang, who saw him the same day and operated the following morning . Dr Tang and his entire staff ( office & support ) were wonderful, taking time to answer all of our questions and explain things in detail to make sure that we both understood what has happening. I am especially pleased that Dr Tang makes it a point to have a family member or caretaker present during office visits .
in Taunton, MA |
Dr. William Tang is an outstanding professional with excellent work ethics. He is without doubt, one of the best in his specialty with an incredible academic and professional background. His skills have given me the opportunity to continue to see from both of my eyes, which I will never forget and be appreciative for the rest of my life.
in Medway, MA |
I cannot say enough about Dr. Tang. He literally saved me from going blind. I went to him with both retinas detached, a sure thing for blindness. Thanks to his care and surgeries, I have 20/20 vision today, I don' t even wear glasses anymore He is a more than a doctor to me,he is my savior. Professional, caring, simply an amazing doctor!!
Needham, MA |
I visited his office for a consult because he was recommended by my optometrist. He also preformed eye surgery on me which went very well. He was also able to get me an appointment with a cataract consult. I wasn't able to get the appointment myself, so I appreciated his intervening.
in Quincy, MA |
Dr. Tang is a very careful and friendly doctor. When Dr. Tang answering our questions, we feels very confidence. We are completely satisfied with the visit.
in Southborough, MA |
Dr Tang rescued my vision in 2002 by repairing a detached and torn retina. He is extremely knowledgeable and has an excellent bedside manner. In the various follow-up visits I have had over the past 14 years Dr Tang has been very clear and concise in his explanations to me. I have extreme confidence in Dr Tang !
in Bellingham, MA |
When I found out from my eye Dr. that something very serious was wrong with my eye they called Dr. Tang's office immediately and he stayed after his normal hours until I could arrive and diagnosed that my retina had separated. He began lazer treatments and medicine that evening and continued treatments the next several weeks until my retina was attached. I am so grateful to him and his ability to help people in this area of medicine. He is an excellent Dr. and I highly recommend him.
in Hopkinton, MA |
Very pleasant experience, efficient and thorough
in Stoughton, MA |
He was curt, but willing to answer any questions. He never made me feel pressured. He performed the surgery with excellent results even though he said my situation was sticky and it couldve gone either way. I would strongly recommend the Doctor. Ed
in Westwood, MA |
I can't say enough good about Dr. Tang, I am thankful everyday that he took my case in such a quick manner for a detached retina. Surgery immediately scheduled and things went well. Three years later all is well.
in Waltham, MA |
Dr. Tang has done a wonderful job of fixing my retina and I feel very lucky to have had him as my surgeon. He is very clear and business-like, and he also puts his patients at ease before surgery and answers questions. I can't recommend him highly enough. If I lived far away I would make every effort to get back to Boston if I needed retina surgery!
in Framingham, MA |
Completely concerned with quality of patient's eyesight.
in Millbury, MA |
He explains everything in every day language that I can understand. When I was very nervous about the surgery he was very calming and able to relax me.
in Franklin, MA |
Dr Tang has been treating me for about 3 years I recently went to him for an annual eye checkup along with a problem with my left eye. He performed a checkup along with examining the left eye. He explained the problem of the left eye and the procedure he would use. He answered all my question and gave me a comfort level. I am very pleased to have Dr.Tang as my eye specialist. Rich
in Bellingham, MA |
Dr Tang is a miracle worker. Has been treating my husband for macular degeneration for eight years. Three years ago he had a massive hemorrhage which left him legally blind, no central vision in both eyes and only peripheral in one eye. He did additional surgery to save small amount of peripheral in one eye. That is his saving grace. It left him with about ten feet of peripheral sight in one eye. He continues to play golf and can function and get around independently. Thank you Dr Tang.
in Lexington, MA |
I have received excellent care for a retinal tear and thinning retina condition, and I have complete confidence in Dr. Tang's abilities and expertise. Dr.Tang is a dedicated professional: he is thorough, knowledgeable, and to the point in providing explanations and exam summaries. I trust his judgment and highly recommend him.
in Marlborough, MA |
Dr. Tang is a brilliant doctor and I would and have recommended him highly. My experience began almost a year and a half ago when I was diagnosed with a stroke in each eye affecting my retinas & reducing my vision. It was a devastating diagnosis, but Dr. Tang was extremely persistent at getting to the cause & for that I am extremely grateful.
in Medway, MA |
Dr. Tang saw me late on a Friday afternoon on very short notice and arranged for surgery for a torn retina first thing Monday. First rate job on the repair, very professional deportment.
in Norwood, MA |
Brilliant surgeon. He saved the eyesight in both my eyes (both had detached retinas). His personality takes a bit of getting used to, but the positives of having him as your eye surgeon far outweigh the negatives.
Dr. Tang is a very talented eye surgeon. He has successfully repaired my severely detached retina, and I can see perfectly now. You can trust him. He is not a talker, but he does what he needs to do, and does it well. I have complete confidence in him.
in Framingham, MA |
He explained the entire process and was thoughtful in his delivery.
in Westwood, MA |
wait time was relatively short
in Medway, MA |
I feel very comfortable that Dr. Tang provides top notch treatment.
Have you seen Dr. William Tang, MD?
Are you Dr. Tang?