Dr. William Stevens, MD

Dr. William Stevens, MD

Orthopedic Surgery  |

Dr. William Stevens, MD is an orthopedic surgery doctor who practices in Phoenix, AZ. He is 56 years old and has been practicing for 30 years. Dr. Stevens is affiliated with Oasis Hospital, Dignity Health - St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center, HonorHealth Scottsdale Shea Medical Center and Banner - Unviersity Medical Center Phoenix.

The Orthopedic Clinic Association

3133 E Camelback Rd Ste 245

Phoenix, AZ 85016

• AARP
  • Accountable Health Plans of America
  • Ameriben
  • American Republic
  • Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS)
  • AZ Benefit Options
  • AZ Foundation Medical Care (AZFMC)
  • Banner Health
  • CopperPoint Mutual
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
  • Health Choice of Arizona
  • Health Net

Learn about Dr. Stevens

At Center for Spinal Disorders, our thoughtful approach to spinal problems means that you are not just another procedure. We begin with you, the patient. Our first goal is to understand how your back, neck and orthopaedic problems impact your life. We then create a treatment plan tailored to you as an individual and designed to improve your quality of life based on your needs - not just the available technology. Our surgical and rehabilitation specialists work as a team to get you the best possible result - whether that means minimally invasive surgery, standard back surgery or no surgery at all.

Dr. Stevens' Experience

Dr. Stevens' experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

• Bone Cancer
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • Gout
  • Juvenile Chronic Arthritis
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture

• Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Knee Replacement
  • Knee Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Orthopedic Rehabilitation
  • Rotator Cuff Surgery
  • Spinal Cord Stimulation
  • Spinal Fusion
  • Spinal Nerve Block
  • Spinal Reconstructive Surgery for Deformities
  • Spine Surgery
  • Synovial Biopsy

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Arizona.

• Brown University / Alpert Medical School
    Medical School | Graduated 1987
  • Walter Reed Army Medical Center
    Internship Hospital | Completed
  • Walter Reed Army Medical Center
  • University Of California Hospitals
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

Dr. Stevens has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Stevens does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Stevens and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dignity Health - St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center

is a Recipient of a Healthgrades Excellence Award
Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence

Hospital Quality Award

Dr. Stevens is on the medical staff at our top-rated hospital.

View Awards

Dr. Stevens' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Stevens to family and friends
3.7
Dr. Stevens' Performance
in Surprise, AZ |
Dr. Stevens has done 3 spinal fusions on me due to late onset scoliosis. He is everything I want in a surgeon. For my questions and concerns he provides answers. I highly recommend him because I hold him in such high regard based upon my experience with him, past, present and future!!!
in Phoenix, AZ |
Complex back surgery three weeks ago, and I am convinced that Dr. Stevens is one of the outstanding orthopedic surgeons in the country. He is not warm and cuddly, and he could have spent a bit more time explaining things to me, but he is thoroughly professional and skilled. He and his able staff were always accessible to me by phone, email and texting, and they were prompt in their responses - usually within an hour! Outstanding surgeon!
in Phoenix, AZ |
Very "to the point", which I appreciate. Not over friendly, but, great patient/doctor interactions. Loved the P.A. too. Xray tech very kind and gentle. Would seek TOCA if further conditions required.
Dr. Stevens and his staff are great! Dr. Stevens thoroughly explains all procedures, takes the time to answer all questions, and addresses all concerns. He is soft-spoken and to the point. He is performing my surgery soon and I am confident that I am in good hands. His NAP Sana I'd wonderful also, very patient, thorough and knowledgeable.
Phoenix, AZ |
I am very impressed with Dr Stevens My surgery went well. After I went home from the hospital, I needed to contact him. Dr. Stevens responded in a timely manner and even contacted me the next day to check on me. A very good surgeon with excellent customer service.
Phoenix, AZ |
Unfortunately I had the great displeasure of meeting Dr. Stevens in recent history. I had spent most of my adult life in severe neck pain and I was told by my PCP to go see him because he was the best. I had MRI's and other diagnostic testing that showed several conditions that would explain my pain. Dr. Stevens treated me like a drug addict and spent less than 60 seconds with me before refusing to help me in ANY WAY. I had a spine fusion from a different doctor 4 months later. Beware.
in Mesa, AZ |
EExcellent great results from extensive spinal surgery
in Scottsdale, AZ |
I had a 7 level fusion in Jan. '16 & was a disaster. I had tremendous pain as there were screws pressing on several nerves. I also had a terrible hip drop/limp & fell several times. In Nov. I sought a 2nd & 3rd opinion & was referred to Dr. Stevens. He did a masterful job-fusing 2 more levels & then spent nearly 5 hours moving hardware off & away from nerves. Immediately after surgery my limp was 90% gone & I had better muscle strength. It's been 4 months & I'm almost back to normal. Superb doc.
in Scottsdale, AZ |
Outstanding explanation of condition, surgery procedure, and outstanding results. Will absolutely recommend Dr Stevens for spine surgery and care.
in Phoenix AZ |
Dr Stevens is an amazing surgeon, and I wouldn't trust my spine to anyone else! His office staff is courteous and efficient, and NP Sana Shuttari is great!
in Phoenix, AZ |
Excellent treatment. I highly recommend him and his team.
in Chandler, AZ |
Sana was very very thorough with my exam was very likeable.
in Phoenix, AZ |
Horrible!! Dr. Stevens is incredibly rude and unbelievably condescending. The way he talked down to me was nothing short of amazing. I wouldn't trust anyone with my life that has such obvious contempt. The people in his office are also snippy and rude (with the exception of the girl at the front desk) so either he hires people like him or they feel they can be that way because the doctor is that way with people. In in case I would avoid him at all costs! Find someone that actually cares.
in Mesa, AZ |
Very easy to talk to and understand.
in Rio Verde, AZ |
Dr. Stevens changed my whole life!! I was in the hospital with a broken back when I first met Dr. Stevens & I had already had 5 spinal fusions. I was in constant pain & was bent over like à little old lady! I was so limited in what I could do or where I could go, my life was totally spent on trying to deal with unbearable pain on a daily basis. Since my surgery by Dr. Stevens I have been pain free for the first time in 30 years!!! My life is totally changed for the better! Thank you!!
Scottsdale, AZ |
NP Sana Shuttari was rude and condescending. She said my injury was too old for consideration. Did not order a bone scan which would have been the next step . Another surgeon ordered one and determined injury was not old. Had a Kyphoplasty last week (cement) on my L3. Referred me only for more PT even though treatment had been suspended because of my pain level. She should not be in a position to judge and has the ability to ruin Dr. Steven's reputation. He should not use a NP .
in Sahuarita, AZ |
I went to Dr. Stevens for scoliosis. I was bent to the side at a 65 degree angle. I was in so much pain I would go home from work and sit on the floor and cry and wish to die. When I saw Dr. Stevens he was very kind and explained everything to me. I had my surgery and could not believe how easy my recovery was. Dr. Stevens and his staff have been great, always! I have recommended him to many people. I would not go anywhere else. Both my husband and I have the highest regard for him.
in Buckeye, az |
He's upfront realistic after chiro told my son his football career was over Dr Steven's did tests and reassured us that's not the case. If your soft hearted you won't like him he's very blunt. Thank you Doc for helping my boy!!
in Phoenix, AZ |
Dr. Stevens saved my life! Broke my neck & back in multiple placed. Other Docs fused me from C3 to T9. They botched surgery & I was going to be paralyzed from chest down. No other Dr. would touch me. Dr. Stevens did corrective surgery and saved my legs. When one of those rods later broke, he repaired it. Have recommended him to several people. Some get upset when he tells them that they don't need surgery. He can be very direct. I respect that in a surgeon! I will forever be grateful him.
in Chandler, AZ |
Ref'd to Stevens as specialist. PA-rude/demeaning. Would never go back. Told daughter's scoliosis (42 deg) is a non-issue/doesn't need treatment bc no pain in sitting. Said: she is a dancer/athlete; she needs to learn to determine her threshold for pain and perform accordingly. That is what athletes do. If she doesn't understand, then she should watch the Cardinals. My daughter dances through excruciating pain. To imply she isn't was ill-advised/born of ignorance. Then wants to monitor her?! NO!
in San tan valley, az |
Well my whole experience with his staff was wonderful I arrived a little late but they still managed to squeeze me in most doctor's office won't do that. Dr. Stevens was wonderful, he listened to all of my concerns he was upfront and forward with me he may or may not be able to help me with my condition, but he's going to run some tests. What I liked about him is that he was a very genuine concern doctor that took his time with me did not rush my appointment thank you Dr Stevens..
in Phoenix, AZ |
I saw Dr Stevens following a back injury that occurred after I had Harrington rods placed in my back. The injury resulted in a broken Harrington rod. At first, he insisted I would need surgery. Then, he changed his mind the week before I was scheduled for surgery, after I had moved around my school schedule. I sustained a second injury to the same location. He said surgery is only for unstable breaks. Even though the break is causing so much pain and swelling, he told me to find another doctor.
in Scottsdale, AZ |
The rudest, coldest physician I have ever dealt with. My wife and I waited 3 1/2 hours to be seen with no apology. Was rude to my wife, spoke to both of us as if we were beneath him and would not look us in the eyes when speaking. Staff was equally rude. Only went back the second time to review an MRI he ordered. What a rotten experience!
in Mesa, AZ |
Love Dr. Stevens and his staff. Always know he is going to tell it like it is with me. The staff is also so great. Friendly and always remembers me. Thanks Doc!
Apache Junction, AZ |
Dr. Stevens and Rebecca Rosemann are the BEST in the world at their profession!! Hands down! I was fused from L2-L5 by Dr. Stevens in 2006. I developed a different issue in 2013. I was fused then from S1-T10. During the surgery, he found I had bulging discs in my neck. He addressed this issue. After the surgery, my back issues were resolved. On my road to recovery, I got infected with MRSA. Having had it treated for several months. I was back to recovery again, only to have another issue with my
in Phoenix, AZ |
This doctor made my life worse, not better. He misdiagnosed me.
in Morenci az |
This place was horrible. Never saw dr Stevens and only was able to see his pa which would have been fine if she would have listened to me for even for five minutes. All they wanted to do was send me to pain management which I could not do. Didn't take the time to listen to anything o had to say or even listen to the symptoms I was having. Had second opinion with another specialist who actually listened. Turns out I had the massive herniated discs and pain management wouldn't have helped at all
in Prescott Valley, Az |
He perform 2 surgeries last year 2015. After the loss of my baby boy. Back & neck. I Wish I WALK AWAY THE FIRST TIME I have the consultation with him. I Have so much to say . That they're is not enough space and so is Rebecca & staff. I am not a person that would harm or say this. But PLEASE DONT ALLOW TO HAVE ANYYHING DONE BY HIM. Shame on you Dr' and staff
in Goodyear, AZ |
As a Ph.D. biostatistician & Registered Nurse, I found both the PA & Dr. Stevens to be the WORST,coldest & most careless health care providers I have ever encountered as a patient. I was insulted, told to take injections of pain & steroid medications and undergo physical therapy, the latter of which had no efficacy whatsoever when done in the past since I became disabled after a MVA. The doctor actually said he didn't have time to discuss matters further when I refused the meds. Appalliing!
We met with his PA Rebecca she didn't even examine my daughter who has severe scoliosis just referred her to physical therapy. Thank god we found Dr Michael Chang who surgically corrected the 50 degree curve in her spine. If she had waited on surgery Dr Chang said the curve in her spine would have eventually crushed her internal organs. DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PRACTICE!!
Glendale, AZ |
he doesnt like talking to me. he sat right beside me and talked to his PA and talked to her and she talked to me. but he refused to discuss my treatment plan knowing i am in need of multi surgeries
in Tonto Basin, AZ |
Dr. Stevens came to my appointment sick with the flu. He seemed very annoyed at my questions and obviously didn't want to be there. He should have stayed home. A complete waste of my time and money.
Have you seen Dr. William Stevens, MD?
Are you Dr. Stevens?

Visit Dr. Stevens

Dr. Stevens accepts 26 insurance carriers
  • AARP
  • Accountable Health Plans of America
  • Ameriben
  • American Republic
  • Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS)
  • AZ Benefit Options
  • AZ Foundation Medical Care (AZFMC)
    AZ Foundation Medical Care (AZFMC) EPO
    AZ Foundation Medical Care (AZFMC) PPO
  • Banner Health
    Blue Cross Blue Shield HMO
    Blue Cross Blue Shield POS
    Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO
  • CopperPoint Mutual
    CopperPoint Mutual Insurance Company
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA
  • Meritain Health
    Administrative Enterprises
  • Phoenix Health Plan
    AHCCCS - AZ Health Care Cost Containment System
    Phoenix Health Plan (w/prior authorization)
  • Self Pay
  • Southwest Service Administrators, Inc.
  • United Healthcare Life Insurance Company

Scottsdale, AZ 85260
Banner - Unviersity Medical Center Phoenix
1111 E McDowell Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85006

More Orthopedic Surgery Specialists like Dr. Stevens at The Orthopedic Clinic Association

Orthopedic Surgery Specialist