Dr. William R. Stevens, MD

Dr. William R. Stevens, MD

98 reviews

Orthopedic Spine Surgery | Male | 55 years old

At Center for Spinal Disorders, our thoughtful approach to spinal problems means that you are not just another procedure. We begin with you, the patient. Our first goal is to understand how your back, neck and orthopaedic problems impact your life. We then create a treatment plan tailored to you as an individual and designed to improve your quality of life based on your needs - not just the available technology. Our surgical and rehabilitation specialists work as a team to get you the best possible result - whether that means minimally invasive surgery, standard back surgery or no surgery at all.Read more

Center for Spinal Disorders
Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence

Dr. Stevens is on the medical staff at our top-rated hospital.

View Awards

Dr. Stevens' Experience

See how Dr. Stevens' experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Stevens

Dr. Stevens accepts 26 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 4 hospitals where Dr. Stevens has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

Experience with Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens' Office & Staff
    10 – 15 minutes (79)
Scottsdale, AZ |
NP Sana Shuttari was rude and condescending. She said my injury was too old for consideration. Did not order a bone scan which would have been the next step . Another surgeon ordered one and determined injury was not old. Had a Kyphoplasty last week (cement) on my L3. Referred me only for more PT even though treatment had been suspended because of my pain level. She should not be in a position to judge and has the ability to ruin Dr. Steven's reputation. He should not use a NP .
in Sahuarita, AZ |
I went to Dr. Stevens for scoliosis. I was bent to the side at a 65 degree angle. I was in so much pain I would go home from work and sit on the floor and cry and wish to die. When I saw Dr. Stevens he was very kind and explained everything to me. I had my surgery and could not believe how easy my recovery was. Dr. Stevens and his staff have been great, always! I have recommended him to many people. I would not go anywhere else. Both my husband and I have the highest regard for him.
in Buckeye, az |
He's upfront realistic after chiro told my son his football career was over Dr Steven's did tests and reassured us that's not the case. If your soft hearted you won't like him he's very blunt. Thank you Doc for helping my boy!!
in Phoenix, AZ |
Dr. Stevens saved my life! Broke my neck & back in multiple placed. Other Docs fused me from C3 to T9. They botched surgery & I was going to be paralyzed from chest down. No other Dr. would touch me. Dr. Stevens did corrective surgery and saved my legs. When one of those rods later broke, he repaired it. Have recommended him to several people. Some get upset when he tells them that they don't need surgery. He can be very direct. I respect that in a surgeon! I will forever be grateful him.
in Chandler, AZ |
Ref'd to Stevens as specialist. PA-rude/demeaning. Would never go back. Told daughter's scoliosis (42 deg) is a non-issue/doesn't need treatment bc no pain in sitting. Said: she is a dancer/athlete; she needs to learn to determine her threshold for pain and perform accordingly. That is what athletes do. If she doesn't understand, then she should watch the Cardinals. My daughter dances through excruciating pain. To imply she isn't was ill-advised/born of ignorance. Then wants to monitor her?! NO!
in San tan valley, az |
Well my whole experience with his staff was wonderful I arrived a little late but they still managed to squeeze me in most doctor's office won't do that. Dr. Stevens was wonderful, he listened to all of my concerns he was upfront and forward with me he may or may not be able to help me with my condition, but he's going to run some tests. What I liked about him is that he was a very genuine concern doctor that took his time with me did not rush my appointment thank you Dr Stevens..
in Phoenix, AZ |
I saw Dr Stevens following a back injury that occurred after I had Harrington rods placed in my back. The injury resulted in a broken Harrington rod. At first, he insisted I would need surgery. Then, he changed his mind the week before I was scheduled for surgery, after I had moved around my school schedule. I sustained a second injury to the same location. He said surgery is only for unstable breaks. Even though the break is causing so much pain and swelling, he told me to find another doctor.
in Scottsdale, AZ |
The rudest, coldest physician I have ever dealt with. My wife and I waited 3 1/2 hours to be seen with no apology. Was rude to my wife, spoke to both of us as if we were beneath him and would not look us in the eyes when speaking. Staff was equally rude. Only went back the second time to review an MRI he ordered. What a rotten experience!
in Mesa, AZ |
Love Dr. Stevens and his staff. Always know he is going to tell it like it is with me. The staff is also so great. Friendly and always remembers me. Thanks Doc!
Apache Junction, AZ |
Dr. Stevens and Rebecca Rosemann are the BEST in the world at their profession!! Hands down! I was fused from L2-L5 by Dr. Stevens in 2006. I developed a different issue in 2013. I was fused then from S1-T10. During the surgery, he found I had bulging discs in my neck. He addressed this issue. After the surgery, my back issues were resolved. On my road to recovery, I got infected with MRSA. Having had it treated for several months. I was back to recovery again, only to have another issue with my
in Phoenix, AZ |
This doctor made my life worse, not better. He misdiagnosed me.
in Morenci az |
This place was horrible. Never saw dr Stevens and only was able to see his pa which would have been fine if she would have listened to me for even for five minutes. All they wanted to do was send me to pain management which I could not do. Didn't take the time to listen to anything o had to say or even listen to the symptoms I was having. Had second opinion with another specialist who actually listened. Turns out I had the massive herniated discs and pain management wouldn't have helped at all
in Prescott Valley, Az |
He perform 2 surgeries last year 2015. After the loss of my baby boy. Back & neck. I Wish I WALK AWAY THE FIRST TIME I have the consultation with him. I Have so much to say . That they're is not enough space and so is Rebecca & staff. I am not a person that would harm or say this. But PLEASE DONT ALLOW TO HAVE ANYYHING DONE BY HIM. Shame on you Dr' and staff
in Goodyear, AZ |
As a Ph.D. biostatistician & Registered Nurse, I found both the PA & Dr. Stevens to be the WORST,coldest & most careless health care providers I have ever encountered as a patient. I was insulted, told to take injections of pain & steroid medications and undergo physical therapy, the latter of which had no efficacy whatsoever when done in the past since I became disabled after a MVA. The doctor actually said he didn't have time to discuss matters further when I refused the meds. Appalliing!
We met with his PA Rebecca she didn't even examine my daughter who has severe scoliosis just referred her to physical therapy. Thank god we found Dr Michael Chang who surgically corrected the 50 degree curve in her spine. If she had waited on surgery Dr Chang said the curve in her spine would have eventually crushed her internal organs. DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PRACTICE!!
Glendale, AZ |
he doesnt like talking to me. he sat right beside me and talked to his PA and talked to her and she talked to me. but he refused to discuss my treatment plan knowing i am in need of multi surgeries
in Tonto Basin, AZ |
Dr. Stevens came to my appointment sick with the flu. He seemed very annoyed at my questions and obviously didn't want to be there. He should have stayed home. A complete waste of my time and money.
Have you seen Dr. William R. Stevens, MD?
Are you Dr. Stevens?

Dr. Stevens' Care Philosophy

Dr. Stevens' experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Orthopedic Spine Surgery
  •  Board certified in Orthopedic Surgery
  •  Malpractice claims in Arizona not available

Dr. Stevens has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Arizona.

Why It Matters: Dr. Stevens' Board Certifications

• Ankle Sprain and Achilles Tendon Sprain or Rupture
  • Ataxia
  • Bone Cancer
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • Gout
  • Juvenile Chronic Arthritis
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture

Graduated in 1987

Walter Reed Army Medical Center
    Walter Reed Army Medical Center
    University Of California Hospitals

Dr. Stevens does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Stevens and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Orthopedic Spine Surgery

• Disc Replacement
  • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Knee Replacement
  • Knee Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Orthopedic Rehabilitation