Dr. William Reed Jr, MD

Dr. William Reed Jr, MD

Minimally Invasive Orthopedic Spine Surgery  |
Dr. Reed, a Midwest native, graduated from the University of Rochester in New York with degrees in both Chemistry and Biology. He joined the graduate program in Anatomy at Washington University Medical School where he taught medical students while pursuing advanced studies. He was accepted into medical school with advanced standing, graduating in 1977 from the University of Missouri School of Medicine-Columbia where he remained for two years of General Surgery Residency. Invited to join the Orthopaedic Surgery Department of prestigious Duke University, he completed his Chief Residency in 1983. Ever since he has practiced in the Kansas City Metro focusing upon spine and upper extremity care. A champion and teacher of surgical and facility innovations to better patient care, he has built hospitals, spine surgery programs and completed an MBA from the Olin School of Business of Washington University. A national leader in minimally invasive techniques and spine arthroplasty (artificial disc replacements), he continues to instruct and research in the realm of advancing care for disabling spinal conditions.

12850 Metcalf Ave

Overland Park, KS 66213

• Beech Street (Multiplan)
  • Cenpatico Behavioral Health
  • Comp Choice
  • Compassionate Care Network (CCN)
  • CompCare
  • CompPsych

Learn about Dr. Reed Jr

See how frequently Dr. Reed Jr performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
Low Back Pain
Osteoarthritis of Spine

Dr. Reed Jr's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Reed Jr "Dr. Reed trained at the prestigious Duke University Medical Center, wishing to bring to his patients the most effective and advanced spine and upper extremity care. He has traveled extensively teaching endoscopic techniques throughout the US and abroad. Returning to solo practice, he finds he can devote more attention and time to each patient in a controlled environment surrounded by helpful and caring staff.  He continues to manifest his dedication to more options, more experience and more care."

• Minimally Invasive Orthopedic Spine Surgery

• Degenerative Joint Disease in the Shoulder
  • Degenerative Spine Disorders
  • Dislocated Joint
  • Dupuytren's Contracture
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Ganglion Cyst

• Elbow Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
  • Endoscopic Hand Surgery
  • Endoscopic Wrist Surgery
  • Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
  • Fracture Open Reduction and Internal Fixation (ORIF)
  • Fracture and-or Dislocation Treatment
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Joint Reconstruction Surgery
  • Joint Replacement Surgery
  • Kyphosis Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Laminectomy
  • Worker's Compensation Evaluations
  • Wrist Ligament Reconstruction
  • Wrist Replacement
  • Wrist and Forearm Tenotomy

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Kansas.

1 Sanction
  • Disciplinary action in another state (1/28/2016)
    Action Taken: Reprimand
    Summary: Reed Jr, William Oliver MD: License # 036139751: NATURE OF COMPLANIT: The physician has disciplinary action in the State of Kansas. ACTION TAKEN: The Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation issued the physician's license with REPRIMAND and required to complete and pass all the EBAS exam.
    State: Illinois

• Duke University Hospital
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed
  • Graduate Study, Department Of Anatomy, Washington University
    Other Education | Completed 1973

Dr. Reed Jr has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Reed Jr has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Reed Jr does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Reed Jr and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Reed Jr's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Reed Jr to family and friends
4.2
Dr. Reed Jr's Performance
in Higginsville, MO |
my experience with Dr. William Reed and Blue Valley Surgical Associates was nothing but excellent. The staff was top notch and professional to say the least. If anyone has any back pain or pain at all I would say look no further than Dr. Reed. As far as my surgery my pain is gone and the pain after surgery was minimal to none. The whole experience blew my expectations out of the water. After my initial appointment my questions were covered and I felt more comfortable about my surgery.
Overland Park, KS |
Pain is much better after surgery, had severe debilitating pain before surgery and now my pain has regressed until it is barely noticeable. Able to walk much further distances, several miles a day now.
in Overland Park, KS |
I have and will continue to recommend Dr. Reed.
in Blackburn MO |
Dr. Reed is my trusted surgeon he gave me two surgeries one 9/5/17 and one 10/9/17. The first one had him very confused and hurt he didn’t know my case was as bad cray mri cat scan was showing. Hence my next surgery. Dr.Reedput rods took a disc out put a cage infusion decompression. Yes I hurt like crazy but Dr.Reed cares and got me in as soon as my insurance cleared due to the severity of it. Thank you to him at 33 and 3 back surgeries I won’t ever messed up again
in Overland Park, KS |
The difference how I felt post op from this procedure is amazing. The ease of installation lessens trauma to the area, post op pain management was pleasant and effective. The entire staff provided excellent care and helped me have a very easy surgical experience. The technology this procedure features should be a real game changer for people with disc problems. Dr. Reed has an easy going personality and has surrounded himself with very capable and caring staff. I would recommend this procedure
Overland Park, KS |
Extremely pleased with surgery results. Excellent physician!
Overland Park, KS |
I feel wonderful, I haven't felt this good in 5 years, I am off my pain medicine 10 days after surgery due to no pain.
Overland Park, KS |
Less pain after surgery. Getting better every day.
in Overland Park, KS |
I have had a good experience with Dr. Reed Jr.. My surgery helped enough to relieve some of the pain so that my pain was more manageable.
Overland Park, KS |
I don't even know where to begin with how grateful I am that Dr Reed came into my life. Before my surgery I could not work more than three days a week. I wasn't able to do basic things to help my family at home, loading and unloading the dishwasher, laundry, preparing a meal all the things most people take for granted. Dr Reed did a disk replacement in my lumbar region and hours after the surgery was completed I had no pain any longer. I was able to sit and stand without pain for the first time
in Shawnee, KS |
I am so pleased and encouraged by my surgery. My quality of life has vastly improved.
Kansas City, MO |
Horrible communication. No help. Staff is very unorganized and clueless. No bedside manner, very rude staff.
in Overland Park |
prior to surgery I had low back pain with numbness and tingling going down both legs. My LFD was done on 7/21/17 and after surgery, I noticed immediate relief. No more numbness and tingling in legs or feet. No more back pain !!. I am six days post op and I have yet to take any pain medicine he prescribed post operatively . I would refer ANYONE to Dr. Reed he is amazing and did an amazing job on me!
in Liberty, Mo |
Excellent Doctor! Provides necessary explanation on condition and treatment plan. Pain after surgery was gone in a couple days. Pain and discomfort from the reason for surgery was gone the day of.
Overland Park, KS |
Positive experience. Let Dr. Reed be the doctor and everything will work out. It did for me I had a lot of people telling me what I needed or what I should do but I just did what the doctor ordered and it has worked out for me. Able to do just about everything I could before in 10 day after the surgery.
Overland Park, KS |
straight to the point.. found the problem no one else could.
in Overland Park, KS |
Dr. Reed is a miracle worker. Numbness is gone. Alot of my pain in my neck has subsided. I was told by other doctors there wasn't anything could be done. I thank God he led me to Dr. Reed.
Overland Park, KS |
I would like to recognize Dr Reed for his outstanding performance as a surgeon. I have never met such an amazing surgeon in my life. Dr Reed literally changed my life. Dr Reed changed my life. He literally stood by my side through everything. He fought with my insurance for months to get my ALIF & PLIF surgery approved. When I was hospitalized in March of 2017, he came to visit me at Menorah everyday. He even called me regularly to check on me to see how I was doing.
in Overland Park, KS |
my surgrey was such a success he did such a exclent job
Dr. Reed was very professional and I would highly recommend him to any of my family or friends. The staff that works with Dr. Reed are awesome!
in Windsor, Mo. |
Love Dr. Reed and his Staff. Very friendly.
in granite ill |
i cant say how wonderful i fill after surgery. i had tried i lot of thing Thank you so very much dr. reed
in Overland Park, KS |
I,m very pleased with the out come had very little pain didn't use pain meds incisions look great ready to get back to work
in Overland Park, KS |
I was in severe pain and after 1 surgery made 100% difference. Thank You!
in Granite City, IL |
For a month and a half I was down and couldnt walk. The day after surgery I was up walking around. I highly recommend Dr. Reed.
Overland Park, KS |
I found the Doctor very professional and direct. I have other issues with vascular problems that should have been addressed first. Thanks for the work you did.
in Butler,MO |
Dr. Reed has great bed side matter. He did a great job on working my back. He has a great staff that are helpful and very pleanest. On a scale of one to ten they rank 50. Can't say enough good things about Dr. Reed and his staff.
Peculiar, MO |
Dr. Reed has a lot of patients, so do not expect much face time. He has good staff that are very supportive and answer almost all questions before and after appointments with him. My back surgery was very successful. I did not have immediate relief, but a second MRI and anti-inflammatories were effective. He kept seeing me until I was healed.
in Overland Park, KS |
My husband had debilitating back pain following colon cancer surgery, after trying several options we saw Dr. Reed for surgical consult. Long story short, he did an LFD, and still was not doing well, saw him again, he ordered another MRI found a lot amount of inflammation. He talked to us and explained what the problem was. Put him on an anti-inflammatory, instructed him to watch his diet, increase activity, etc. within 2 days he was 50% better, after a week he's 100% again! Kudos Dr. Reed!
Overland Park, KS |
very knowledgeable,caring staff. They made sure we knew what to expect from the very first visit!!!
in Overland Park, KS |
Dr. Reed has been a picture of professionalism and he is very easy to understand. His concern for his patients is over the top. I come from a family of medical professionals and the doctors and nurses and assistants are all courteous and helpful.Chris Rose is the best office manager I have ever Known. ( we need to clone him) The only complaint I have is with scheduling. We have had some issues with scheduling. They need to be more considerate of the patients they are seeing.Nancy is very happy.
Hamel, IL |
I had been suffering with mild sciatica for over six months. The past week, I wasn't able to sit up or walk. I had seen two chiropractors with no improvement. He advocated for me with my insurance company to expedite pre-certification to get the procedure done right away. He had me feeling better and able to walk the next day with minimally invasive surgery.
in Kansas City, MO |
I cannot say enough good things about Dr. Reed. He operated on my husband's lower back and cured him of nearly two decades of pain. My husband's pain was so severe that at 43 years old he was using a walker, he could barely get up and down out of bed or a chair, and could not pick up our young children. We saw Dr. Reed, had some testing done, and his surgery was scheduled shortly after Dr. Reed received all of the results. Within 3-4 weeks of his surgery, my husband's pain was gone.
Dr. Reed is the man and a Genius. Truly John Kilgore
in Manhattan, KS |
Simply put, Dr. Reed gave me the ability to live my life again. At 23, I had 4 herniated lumbar discs with the worst being L4-5. The MRI showed a 7x13mm herniation which was impinging my spinal cord and causing excruciating nerve pain in my right hip/thigh. Words cannot truly express how painful it was. At 23, I was walking with a cane and unable to provide for my newly wedded wife. I was in Hell. The pain was constant and sleep was a rarity. 3 years post-op; no cane and no pills, only a future.
in Saint Joseph, MO |
Had microdiskectomy L5-S1. Was not successful. Surgery was begun before being sufficiently sedated. Discharge prescriptions were provided 28th the wrong patient name. On call physician did not respond to repeated calls to get corrected prescriptions. Took hours sitting in his office waiting room to get him to correct issue. Had to live with the pain and nausea all night and half the next day. It was a total nightmare to ensure. Have never provided another physician 28th a negative rating but ...
Have you seen Dr. William Reed Jr, MD?
Are you Dr. Reed Jr?

See our Minimally Invasive Orthopedic Spine Surgery Specialist at Overland Park Regional Medical Center

Visit Dr. Reed Jr

Dr. Reed Jr accepts 37 insurance carriers
    Aetna POS
    Aetna PPO
    National Advantage
  • Beech Street (Multiplan)
    Beech Street (Multiplan) PPO
  • Cenpatico Behavioral Health
    Cigna POS
  • Comp Choice
    Comp Results
  • Compassionate Care Network (CCN)
    Compassionate Care Network (CCN) PPO