Dr. William Paly, MD

Dr. William Paly, MD

Orthopedic Surgery  |

After graduation from college, where I studied premedical studies and geography, I enrolled in the United States Peace Corps and was stationed in West Africa for 2 years working in a rural government health clinic and as a teacher in a local high school. When I returned to the United States I enrolled at Harvard University school of Public health and obtained a Master's degree in Public health. After working for a year in health consulting, I enrolled in medical school at the University of Massachusetts. I completed my medical training and then did an orthopedic residency at Yale University, followed by a hand surgery fellowship at New England Medical Center in Boston. I have been practicing at Coastal Orthopedic Associates in Beverly since 1992 treating a variety of hand and wrist related problems.

Coastal Orthopedic Associates, Inc.

77 Herrick St Ste 201

Beverly, MA 01915

• American Imaging Management (AIM)
  • American International Group (AIG)
  • American Progressive Life Insurance/Health Insurance
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
  • Commonwealth Care
  • Fallon Community Health Plan
  • Gallagher Basset
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
  • Harvard Pilgrim Health Care
  • Liberty Mutual Insurance Company

Learn about Dr. Paly

See how frequently Dr. Paly performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Elbow Injuries
Dupuytren's Contracture
Trigger Finger

Dr. Paly's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Paly "My philosophy of care is to spend time with each patient to be sure I understand their problem. I give them a menu of treatment options and work with them to decide which options fit their personality and lifestyle. I chose orthopedics because it requires precision and delicacy—particularly when dealing with the hand and wrist, which are my specialties. When I'm not at work, I enjoy cycling, fishing, gardening and music."

Dr. Paly does not have any board certifications listed.

• Ankle Sprain and Achilles Tendon Sprain or Rupture
  • Elbow Bursitis
  • Elbow Sprain
  • Foot Fracture
  • Foot Sprain
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Ganglion Cyst
  • Gout
  • Hand Fracture
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Lupus

• Simple Fracture Care and Casting
  • Trigger Finger Release
  • Wrist Fusion
  • Wrist Replacement

No malpractice history found for Massachusetts.

• University Of Massachusetts Medical School
  • New England Medical Center
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1992
  • Harvard School Of Public Health
    Other Education | Completed

Dr. Paly has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Paly has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Paly does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Paly and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Beverly Hospital

is a Recipient of a Healthgrades Excellence Award
Patient Safety Excellence Award

Hospital Quality Award

Dr. Paly is on the medical staff at our top-rated hospital.

View Awards

Dr. Paly's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Paly to family and friends
4.5
Dr. Paly's Performance
in Gloucester |
Dr. Paly has performed expert surgery on my left hand/wrist area. My use of both hands is again normal. Recovery progressed faster than average for this procedure. Dr. Paly's explanation of treatment options, his thorough & considerate attention throughout, & his follow-up exams have been especially helpful. A previous condition on my right hand had limited its normal use. Dr. Paly treated this successfully without surgery - an ethical as well as considerate decision for me. Highly recommended
in Gloucester, MA |
Dr. Paly is not only a wonderful surgeon and MD, but his bedside manner is excellent also.
Gloucester, MA |
Dr. Paly did carpal tunnel release surgery on both of my hands. He was super efficient. My scars healed nicely and I had feeling back in my hands the night after my surgery.
I'm so glad to know that you are doing well Carpal tunnel is one of my favorite problems to treat for my patients Over the last 25 years I've treated thousands and thousands of people on the North Shore for carpal tunnel syndrome and continue to find it a very satisfying problem to take care of because of the generally excellent outcomes that people achieve. Surgery is done with local anesthetic. Patients can drive themselves to and from the hospital
in South Hamilton, MA |
Recently I needed some surgery--was sent to North Shore, but found the recommended doctor unacceptable--organization like a factory, doctor was more of a pampas God type--I was than sent to Dr. Paly by my Family Doctor, Dr Taylor.. I found a great personality--answered all my question accurately, I was not rushed, and the operation preformed was with minimal or no pain and 100% successful.
Thanks for your comments. Positive experiences for our patients is the most satisfying part of my hand surgical practice. I'm so glad your carpal tunnel surgery turned out well. Listening carefully to a patients problem is the best way to start any evaluation, and is the key to recommending a solution that will be right for that individual.
in Danvers, MA |
Dr Paly was great!!. With one exam, he knew I needed immediate surgery for a severe infection from my cat's bite and operated on me within 3 hours. Following the extensive surgery, he and his staff set up necessary hospital time, antibiotic care, visiting nurse care and therapy so that I could have a full recovery. He is a very thorough and caring doctor.
in Lynnfield, MA |
I have and will continue to recommend people to Dr. Paly.
in Beverly, MA |
I had arthritis in both of my thumbs making it nearly impossible to pick things up or really function in a normal way. Dr Paly discussed every option in detail. I have had both hands surgically corrected with Dr Paly. In his office, the surgical center pre and post op, he was kind, thoughtful, and caring. His work is impeccable. Healing time was as expected and scarring minimal. I would absolutely recommend Dr Paly to friends and family.
Thanks Meridith. Your thumb arthritis is unfortunately very common, particularly in women . When non operative solutions aren't working any more, fortunately we have some well designed and tested operations that have a high degree of success, and low complication rates. Yours went very well and I'm so glad you are happy with the outcome. Pain is a PAIN!
in Gloucester, Ma. |
Dr. Paly is extremely professional. My surgery went flawlessly. Minimum to no pain during and after surgery.
in Ipswich, Ma |
Can't say enough good things about Dr. Paly. He is kind and gentle and does great work!
in Wakefield, MA |
Dr. Pataguely performed carpal tunnel surgery on both hands, one in December, the other in May 2017. From the time I entered his office, he has an extremely professional and courteous staff, right through both surgical procedures this was a very positive experience. The surgery, as far as having surgery can be, was professional and was always comforting and informative. The surgery went extremely well and the recovery was just as I was told by Dr. Paly and his team. Steve Tague
in Lynn, MA |
Dr. Paly performed two trigger finger procedures, one on each of my hands. He finished the procedures in about twenty minutes and gave me back full function of two fingers that were locking up on me. Very satisfied with his services. Very pleasant to deal with.
in Beverly, MA |
Dr. Paly and his staff are very professional, easy to schedule appointments with and deal with. I have had him for a broken bone in my foot and many in my wrist, as well as warts removed. I highly recommend him to everyone I know in Beverly where I reside and everywhere else.
in Beverly Ma. |
Dr. Paly did an awesome job on my carpal tunnel release.Dr Paly and his staff was very professional and informative and payed close attention to every detail.I would highly recommend him for surgery.He is also doing my other hand and I have no worries.
in Gloucester, MA |
Sunday night, I slipped on ice and broke my wrist. After my ER visit that night, I saw Dr Paley on Monday afternoon. Everything from making the appointment to seeing Dr. Paley was a positive experience. He showed me the x-rays and explained the fracture and treatment for it. He and all the staff answered all my questions completely and unhurridly. *****
in Middleton, MA |
Explained procedure completely, and helped get my appointment in before the Christmas holiday.
in Salem, MA |
Dr. Paly diagnosed what was wrong with my hand after looking at X-rays. He explained thoroughly what he could do and what he could not do to improve my hand's function. I opted for surgery to remove the cyst that was causing my trouble. During the procedure, Dr. Paly was careful, to insure he worked in a sterile environment, that my hand was sufficiently numbed, and that he explained what he was doing. He was reassuring and cheerful in his approach, giving me great confidence.
in Topsfield, MA |
Dr. Paly is the best hand surgeon on the north shore! I would definitely recommend him to everyone I know! My mother lives out of state, and was visiting my family. Unfortunately she had a fall- which resulted in a horrible wrist fracture. She was very upset and nervous about having surgery. Dr. Paly and his staff were fantastic from the start to finish! He took the time to listen to her and explain the procedure. I was very impressed with his skill and trusted his experience! True gentleman!!!
in Gloucester, Ma |
Easy, friendly, and knowledgeable.
Gloucester, MA |
Had emergency surgery on broken wrist. I have no complaints about anything except that I broke my wrist. Everyone I came in contact with was more than helpful and compassionate. All in all the experience was better than I could have expected.
It is always gratifying to know when a patient has had a successful Recovery from an accident or painful problem. As a specialist In wrist and radius fracture repair, it is particularly satisfying to Apply the newest techniques in surgical fracture reconstruction When it is necessary. Thank you for your feedback.
Have you seen Dr. William Paly, MD?

Visit Dr. Paly

Dr. Paly accepts 26 insurance carriers
  • American Imaging Management (AIM)
  • American International Group (AIG)
  • American Progressive Life Insurance/Health Insurance
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
    Preferred Blue PPO
  • Commonwealth Care
  • Fallon Community Health Plan
  • Gallagher Basset
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA
  • Harvard Pilgrim Health Care
    Harvard Pilgrim Health Care PPO
  • Liberty Mutual Insurance Company
  • Neighborhood Health Plan (NHP)
  • Network Health

Beverly, MA 01915
Lahey Hospital and Medical Center
41 Mall Road
Burlington, MA 01805

More Orthopedic Surgery Specialists like Dr. Paly at Coastal Orthopedic Associates, Inc.