Dr. William Levine, MD

• HealthPlus Amerigroup
  • Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey
  • Husky Health
  • inHealth

Despite my being an orthopedic surgeon (who loves to operate when appropriate) the reality is that most orthopedic conditions can be successfully treated non-operatively. I evaluate many patients who come for 2nd or 3rd opinions where we can successfully manage their problem without an operation. If non-operative management is not appropriate or has failed then we will review the best surgical procedure for the patient's problem and help them understand the risks, benefits, and alternatives. This shared decision-making approach is critical to ensure that patients NEVER feel pressured to have surgery. It has been well established that the best results following surgery come from patients who were 100% committed to having the procedure in the first place.Read more

Personal Bio

Dr. Levine's Experience

See how Dr. Levine's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Levine

Dr. Levine accepts 28 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Levine has admitting privileges.

Dr. Levine's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Levine to family and friends
Dr. Levine Says:

Dr. Levine's Performance
in West Orange, NJ |
Dr. Levine did my right total shoulder replacement on 4/13/16 and my left total shoulder replacement 10/26/16. I had so much confidence in his skills as a surgeon that having the second surgery was a cinch! He always took his time in talking to me about my comfort and progress whether he was in his office or in my hospital room.I found him to be very professional as well as compassionate! His office staff was always very supportive to all my needs and requests.
in Ridgewood, NJ |
WOW. Dr. Levine's level of care has been tremendous. From the first appointment and diagnosis to the surgical procedure and aftercare I have only the highest praise for his skills and and concern for my recovery. The staff that supports him in both the Midtown and Englewood offices showed the same level of concern for me. My procedure went as planned with almost no post-op pain and the recovery has been quick and without complications. Kudos to Dr. Levine.
in New York, NY |
Dr. Levine was absolutely spectacular! From my first visit, through the entire procedure, and almost a year's worth of post op he was caring, took time to explain, and most importantly did an outstanding job on my difficult shoulder surgery. I'd highly recommend him and consider myself very fortunate to have been under his care. Great Job Dr Levine! Thanks again.
in New York, NY |
My experience with Dr Levine and his staff was all around excellent. Dr Levine is warm, friendly and easy to talk to . He takes as much time needed to answer any questions. His entire staff including front the desk are friendly and helpful as well. The surgery on my broken elbow was a success and I am back to full use if not better than before! Anytime I had a concern about my elbow the office was able to fit me in right away to see the doctor. I would highly recommend Dr Levine and his staff
in TWP OF WASHINGTON, NJ |
Outstanding result - full range of motion in all directions, zero pain ever from surgical date to present (2 years), continue to gain strength (up to 2/3 of current opposite arm, continue t o build strength). Able to work with weights twice weekly, very good progress. Playing tennis regularly with no limitations, no problems with backhand or serves. No indication to me that I even have an implement. I would strongly recommend Dr. Levine to anyone who is considering shoulder surgery.
in New York, NY |
Dr. Levine and his office has been so responsive, so caring and the result of his attention has been so successful for me. Everything in this office is done with excellence and care, indicating Dr. Levine's talent in the care of this patient, for sure. .
in Brooklyn, NY |
Dr. Levine came highly recommended for his surgical skills and this was the primary reason for choosing him. He was warm, friendly and cheerful during each of my appointments and always pleased with my progress...Again a testament to his surgical skills
in New York, NY |
My experience with Dr. Levine was great. When I came to him with a broken arm he made the decision on how to proceed with my career in mind. I had some complications with the bone healing on its own so we eventually did surgery. This was my first surgery and he made me feel 100% safe. My arm and my scar have both recovered very nicely and I was back dancing in no time! He made me a Bionic Rockette, and I'm so grateful for his help!
Bronx, NY |
He might be a great surgeon if you can get past his rude bedside manner. I couldn't and went to Hospital for Special Surgery, which is a world-renowned institution with a skilled and caring staff.
in Randolph, NJ |
Cannot recommend strong enough. A grade 5 AC joint dislocation - post-surgery I have made a full recovery. The arm feels great, I am back to activities, no restrictions. Dr. Levine and his staff were terrific.
in Mount Kisco, NY |
I originally saw Dr. Levine for a second opinion and came away with such a favorable opinion that I asked him to perform my shoulder surgery. Dr. Levine was very patient and never left the room until he had answered all of my questions. I did not feel rushed at all. I am very pleased with the outcome of my shoulder replacement and with the performance of the entire team.
in Rockaway, NJ |
Dr. Levine is a caring, knowledgeable doctor. He made me feel at ease from the start. Before and after my rotator cuff surgery, he explained the problem in easy to understand terms and what to expect afterwards. The colored photographs of the inside of my arm before and during the procedure are awesome! Dr. Levine is the best!
in New City, NY |
I had rotator cuff surgery and the entire process of my care was great. At the doctors office starting at reception exceptionally nice especially Kinga. The RN Brooke and Mike were fantastic and very helpf. Nurse practitioner Rene and surgery schedule people all who helped me along the way, and of course my great surgeon Dr. William Levine Thank you!
in New York, NY |
I waited 2 hours to see Dr. Levine. When he finally saw me, he did not apologize or even acknowledge the amount of time I had waited. He then proceeded to spend a minute or so examining my knee and diagnosed me in less than two minutes. He was out of the examination room in three minutes. Unbelieveable. When I told my physical therapist the diagnosis, she said it was basically meaningless. Oh, and his office failed to send a prescription to my pharmacy even after a reminder call. Awful.
I am very sorry that you had such a poor experience. Clearly not what I strive for. I end every patient encounter with the same question, "do you have any other questions" but obviously you were very disappointed with your appointment and I do apologize. Hope your knee is doing better nonetheless - wnl
New York, NY |
Based on a referral from a friend, I called Dr. Levine's office after an accident. Even though he had never seen me before, Dr. Levine called me while he was out-of-town to set up a treatment plan. I was absolutely confident in the treatment plan that Dr. Levine laid out; and throughout treatment, which included surgery and physical therapy, Dr. Levine and his staff were wonderful. They provided clear, thorough information and were very responsive to my questions.
in New York, NY |
Dr. Levine and his staff are amazing. Priorer to my surgey I had injections and did physical therapy. I thought my shoudler would never heal. After my surgey it felt like every day it got better. After 3.5 months I didnt even think about my shoulder anymore because it felt completely healed. Dr. Levine was extremely thorough and I highly reccommend him to anyone experiencing shoulder problems.
in New York, NY |
I read all the literature I could find from a number of institutions before the operation to get some idea of what I could expect. Everything went far better than the literature indicated and thanks to perfect surgery and excellent physical therapy my recovery was about 2 months faster than estimated.
in New York |
Great doctor. I fractured my elbow before rotator cuff surgery but the doctor kept on the operation schedule and worked my physical therapy in to work on the fractured elbow and recovery from rotator surgery. The staff were very good about answering questions and giving guidance before and after surgery. Its six months after surgery and I'm 95% recovered. Expect full recovery in about six months.Was able to go to Cambodia and Thailand on vacation 3 months after surgery.
in South Orange, NJ |
Dr Levine is an extremely personable and skilled physician. My shoulder is almost like new. I am so happy that Dr Levine was recommended to me. Thank you Dr Levine By the way, I especially liked the doctor's footwear for surgery..
in Brooklyn, NY |
Dr. Levine repaired my Left ACL and it was succesful surgery. He was knowledgeable, fiendly and approachable. His office staff was always helpful and his nursing staff was avilable post-surgery and along the way to answer questions when/if they arose.
Have you seen Dr. William Levine, MD?

Compare Dr. Levine

More Orthopedic Surgery Specialists like Dr. Levine at ColumbiaDoctors Orthopedics

Dr. Levine says...

My approach to patient care is simple - you have a complaint and orthopedic concern that made you take time out of your busy schedule to come to see me and my commitment to you is to address your concerns. I will listen to your story, perform a physical examination, review your imaging studies when appropriate (xrays, MRIs, etc...) and then provide you with a diagnosis and treatment plan.

My clinical specialty is performing arthroscopic and open shoulder, elbow, and knee surgeries on injured athletes and patients of all ages. As Chairman of Columbia University's Department of Orthopedic Surgery, I'm honored to lead the best orthopedic surgeons in the world. I also greatly value my role as Columbia University's Head Team Physician, which allows me to coordinate the care of roughly 700 student-athletes participating in 31 intercollegiate athletic teams.

Dr. Levine's Care Philosophy

Despite my being an orthopedic surgeon (who loves to operate when appropriate) the reality is that most orthopedic conditions can be successfully treated non-operatively. I evaluate many patients who come for 2nd or 3rd opinions where we can successfully manage their problem without an operation. If non-operative management is not appropriate or has failed then we will review the best surgical procedure for the patient's problem and help them understand the risks, benefits, and alternatives.

Dr. Levine says...

Dr. Charles Neer, the patriarch of shoulder surgery world-wide, established the 1st shoulder service in the world in the early 1970's. Dr. Louis Bigliani succeeded Dr. Neer as the Chief of the Shoulder service in 1991 and I succeeded Dr. Bigliani in 2013. The Shoulder Service has evolved to become the Center for Shoulder, elbow and sports medicine to reflect the spectrum of conditions which we treat. Patients with complex shoulder and elbow problems are referred to us for out expertise and patients with sports medicine problems are likewise referred given our long-standing commitment and care to professional, collegiate, high school, and weekend warriors.

Dr. Levine says...

We are a referral center for some of the most complicated and complex orthopedic problems in the world. Whether you have a basic orthopedic condition or an extraordinarily complex one (multiple failed operations for example) our goals remain the same - help you understand your diagnosis, treatment plan, and expected outcomes.

Dr. Levine says...

We value our patients' feedback and strive to make your experience as stress-free as possible. Our team of health care providers includes doctors, nurses, nurse practitioners, athletic trainers and medical assistants and our goal is quite simple - provide the highest quality care possible for our patients. Your feedback ensures that we are always re-assessing and striving to achieve these goals. We love positive feedback of course but if you have constructive criticism on opportunities for us to improve care please do not hesitate to contact us.

Dr. Levine's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Orthopedic Sports Medicine
  •  Board certified in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine and Orthopedic Surgery

Dr. Levine has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for New York.

Why It Matters: Dr. Levine's Board Certifications

• Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL) Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Sprain

University of Maryland

Completed in 1998

Stanford University

Graduated in 1986

Dr. Levine does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Levine and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Orthopedic Sports Medicine