Dr. William N. Levine, MD

Dr. William N. Levine, MD

Orthopedic Sports Medicine | Male | 52 years old

My goals are simple - all of my patients leave every office visit having a complete understanding of the diagnosis, being fully aware of the treatment plan, and having all questions answered. My clinical specialty is performing arthroscopic and open shoulder, elbow, and knee surgeries on injured athletes and patients of all ages. As Chairman of Columbia University's Department of Orthopedic Surgery, I'm honored to lead the best orthopedic surgeons in the world. I also greatly value my role as Columbia University's Head Team Physician, which allows me to coordinate the care of roughly 700 student-athletes participating in 31 intercollegiate athletic teams.Read more

ColumbiaDoctors Orthopedics

2016 Five Star Recipient for Total Knee Replacement

View Ratings

Learn about this Doctor

Despite my being an orthopedic surgeon (who loves to operate when appropriate) the reality is that most orthopedic conditions can be successfully treated non-operatively. I evaluate many patients who come for 2nd or 3rd opinions where we can successfully manage their problem without an operation. If non-operative management is not appropriate or has failed then we will review the best surgical procedure for the patient's problem and help them understand the risks, benefits, and alternatives.Read more

Personal Bio

Dr. Levine's Experience

100Experience
Match

See how Dr. Levine's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Levine

Dr. Levine accepts 28 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Levine has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

Dr. Levine's Reviews

Help millions of people find the right doctor. Share your experience today!
Likelihood of recommending Dr. Levine to family and friends
Experience with Dr. Levine
Dr. Levine's Office & Staff
    10 – 15 minutes (64)
Dr. William N. Levine, MD says

We value our patients' feedback and strive to make the patient experience as stress-free and fruitful as possible. We are always looking for ways to improve our patient's encounters and I look forward to assisting people get back to their prior level of activity.

in Rockaway, NJ |
Dr. Levine is a caring, knowledgeable doctor. He made me feel at ease from the start. Before and after my rotator cuff surgery, he explained the problem in easy to understand terms and what to expect afterwards. The colored photographs of the inside of my arm before and during the procedure are awesome! Dr. Levine is the best!
in New City, NY |
I had rotator cuff surgery and the entire process of my care was great. At the doctors office starting at reception exceptionally nice especially Kinga. The RN Brooke and Mike were fantastic and very helpf. Nurse practitioner Rene and surgery schedule people all who helped me along the way, and of course my great surgeon Dr. William Levine Thank you!
in New York, NY |
I waited 2 hours to see Dr. Levine. When he finally saw me, he did not apologize or even acknowledge the amount of time I had waited. He then proceeded to spend a minute or so examining my knee and diagnosed me in less than two minutes. He was out of the examination room in three minutes. Unbelieveable. When I told my physical therapist the diagnosis, she said it was basically meaningless. Oh, and his office failed to send a prescription to my pharmacy even after a reminder call. Awful.
New York, NY |
Based on a referral from a friend, I called Dr. Levine's office after an accident. Even though he had never seen me before, Dr. Levine called me while he was out-of-town to set up a treatment plan. I was absolutely confident in the treatment plan that Dr. Levine laid out; and throughout treatment, which included surgery and physical therapy, Dr. Levine and his staff were wonderful. They provided clear, thorough information and were very responsive to my questions.
in New York, NY |
Dr. Levine and his staff are amazing. Priorer to my surgey I had injections and did physical therapy. I thought my shoudler would never heal. After my surgey it felt like every day it got better. After 3.5 months I didnt even think about my shoulder anymore because it felt completely healed. Dr. Levine was extremely thorough and I highly reccommend him to anyone experiencing shoulder problems.
in New York, NY |
I read all the literature I could find from a number of institutions before the operation to get some idea of what I could expect. Everything went far better than the literature indicated and thanks to perfect surgery and excellent physical therapy my recovery was about 2 months faster than estimated.
in New York |
Great doctor. I fractured my elbow before rotator cuff surgery but the doctor kept on the operation schedule and worked my physical therapy in to work on the fractured elbow and recovery from rotator surgery. The staff were very good about answering questions and giving guidance before and after surgery. Its six months after surgery and I'm 95% recovered. Expect full recovery in about six months.Was able to go to Cambodia and Thailand on vacation 3 months after surgery.
in South Orange, NJ |
Dr Levine is an extremely personable and skilled physician. My shoulder is almost like new. I am so happy that Dr Levine was recommended to me. Thank you Dr Levine By the way, I especially liked the doctor's footwear for surgery..
in Brooklyn, NY |
Dr. Levine repaired my Left ACL and it was succesful surgery. He was knowledgeable, fiendly and approachable. His office staff was always helpful and his nursing staff was avilable post-surgery and along the way to answer questions when/if they arose.
Have you seen Dr. William N. Levine, MD?

Compare Dr. Levine

More Orthopedic Surgery Specialists like Dr. Levine at ColumbiaDoctors Orthopedics

• Orthopedic Sports Medicine
  • Orthopedic Knee Surgery
  • Orthopedic Shoulder & Elbow Surgery
  • Orthopedics
  • Sports Medicine

Why It Matters: Dr. Levine's Board Certifications

• Orthopaedic Sports Medicine

Dr. Levine says..

Dr. Charles Neer, the patriarch of shoulder surgery world-wide, established the 1st shoulder service in the world in the early 1970's. Dr. Louis Bigliani succeeded Dr. Neer as the Chief of the Shoulder service in 1991 and I succeeded Dr. Bigliani in 2013. The Shoulder Service has evolved to become the Center for Shoulder, elbow and sports medicine to reflect the spectrum of conditions which we treat. Patients with complex shoulder and elbow problems are referred to us for out expertise and patients with sports medicine problems are likewise referred given our long-standing commitment and care to professional, collegiate, high school, and weekend warriors.

This information was supplied by or on behalf of the provider.
  • Adhesive Capsulitis
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL) Sprain
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Sprain
  • Shoulder Labral Tear
  • Shoulder Pain
  • Shoulder Tendinitis and Tenosynovitis

Dr. Levine says..

We are a referral center for some of the most complicated and complex orthopedic problems in the world. Whether you have a basic orthopedic condition or an extraordinarily complex one (multiple failed operations for example) our goals remain the same - help you understand your diagnosis, treatment plan, and expected outcomes.

This information was supplied by or on behalf of the provider.
  • ACL Surgery
  • Shoulder Resurfacing
  • Shoulder Stabilizations
  • Shoulder Surgery
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

No malpractice history found for New York.

Case Western Reserve Univ

University of Maryland

Completed in 1998

Stanford University

Graduated in 1986

Dr. Levine has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Levine does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Levine and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

×

Dr. Levine's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

• Specializes in Orthopedic Sports Medicine
  • Board certified in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine and Orthopedic Surgery
×

Why Does Experience Matter?

Patient Satisfaction Results for Dr. Levine

Overall Patient Satisfaction Score

Dr. Levine's Office & Staff

Ease of scheduling urgent appointments
Office environment, cleanliness, comfort, etc.
Staff friendliness and courteousness
Total wait time (waiting & exam rooms)
10 – 15 minutes

Experience with Dr. Levine

Level of trust in provider's decisions
How well provider explains medical condition(s)
How well provider listens and answers questions
Spends appropriate amount of time with patients

Dr. Levine says...

My goals are simple - all of my patients leave every office visit having a complete understanding of the diagnosis, being fully aware of the treatment plan, and having all questions answered. My clinical specialty is performing arthroscopic and open shoulder, elbow, and knee surgeries on injured athletes and patients of all ages. As Chairman of Columbia University's Department of Orthopedic Surgery, I'm honored to lead the best orthopedic surgeons in the world. I also greatly value my role as Columbia University's Head Team Physician, which allows me to coordinate the care of roughly 700 student-athletes participating in 31 intercollegiate athletic teams.

Dr. Levine's Care Philosophy

Despite my being an orthopedic surgeon (who loves to operate when appropriate) the reality is that most orthopedic conditions can be successfully treated non-operatively. I evaluate many patients who come for 2nd or 3rd opinions where we can successfully manage their problem without an operation. If non-operative management is not appropriate or has failed then we will review the best surgical procedure for the patient's problem and help them understand the risks, benefits, and alternatives.