Urologic Oncology  |
Dr. William Johnston III, MD
William K. Johnston III, MD is a board-certified Urologist and a partner in the Michigan Institute of Urology. He has practiced in Chicago suburbs for the last 7 years while holding appointments as an Assistant Professor at the University of Chicago and Northwestern Feinberg School of Medicine. He is an Editor for the Journal of Endourology and an Instructor of da Vinci Robotic Surgery since 2005. Dr. Johnston completed his urology residency at the University of California, Davis and received advanced training at one of the first dedicated training programs (fellowships) in Laparoscopy and Robotic Surgery at the University of Michigan in 2003-4. Dr. Johnston specializes in minimally invasive Laparoscopic and da Vinci Robotic Surgery for the treatment of adrenal, kidney, bladder, and prostate cancers. He also has a keen interest in men's health and prevention by consulting with patients on early prostate cancer detection (elevated PSA values), enlarging prostates (BPH), and hormonal changes in the aging man. Dr. Johnston has authored over 20 peer-reviewed publications and made over 50 presentations at national and world meetings. His research has focused on improving patient outcomes in surgery by improving vision with special dyes and developing new surgical instruments (US Patent (7,591,817). He has also developed two free iPhone apps to improve patient care ("Kidney stone app" and "Uroflow"). His passion for teaching and research have resulted recently in 2 Academic Achievement Awards and an Outstanding Teaching Award at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine.

25500 Meadowbrook Rd Ste 225

Novi, MI 48375

Learn about Dr. Johnston III

Each patient is unique, therefore, each patient needs to become an expert in their disorder or cancer in order to make a decision that is best for them. I prefer to meet with my patients at the end of the day or arrange a conference at off hours, to allow as much time as a patient needs to fully understand their options. At the end of this conference, I prefer the patient return home and think about our discussion before making a decision. I expect them to have discussions with their primary care doctor or any friends or family they trust to help them make an important decision. I encourage my patients to call or email with any additional questions. In the end, each patient will make a decision that they feel is right for them. If I can get my patients to this point, I know we have a great chance at success.

Dr. Johnston III's Experience

Dr. Johnston III's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Urologic Oncology
  • Board certified in Urology

• Urologic Oncology
  • Robotic Surgery
  • Urology

• Urology
    Accredited by: American Board of Urology*

• Bladder Cancer
  • Blood in Urine (Hematuria)
  • Enlarged Prostate (BPH)
  • HPV (Human Papillomavirus)
  • Kidney Cancer
  • Kidney Stones
  • Overactive Bladder
  • Penile Cancer
  • Prostate Cancer
  • Prostatitis
  • Scrotal Diseases and Disorders
  • Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
  • Stress Incontinence
  • Testicle Disorders
  • Testicular Cancer
  • Ureteral Stones
  • Ureteropelvic Junction Obstruction
  • Urethral Stricture
  • Urinary Incontinence
  • Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
  • Varicocele

• Adrenalectomy
  • Biofeedback
  • Bladder Suspension Surgery
  • Chemotherapy
  • Cryoablation
  • Endoscopic Laser Therapy
  • Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)
  • Intravesical Therapy
  • Laparoscopic Surgical Procedure
  • Laser Ablation
  • Lymph Node Dissection for Endometrial Cancer (Uterine Cancer)
  • Mohs Surgery
  • Urethral Dilation
  • Vasectomy
  • da Vinci® Prostate Removal
  • da Vinci® Robotic Surgery

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Michigan.

• University Of California, Davis

• Northwestern Feinberg School of Medicine Outstanding Teaching Award, 2009
  • US Patent 7,591,817, 2009
  • Evanston Northwestern HealthSystem Academic Achievement Award, 2006
  • Evanston Northwestern HealthSystem Academic Achievement Awar, 2005

Dr. Johnston III has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Johnston III does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Johnston III and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Johnston III's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Johnston III to family and friends
Dr. Johnston III's Performance
in livonia, mi |
If I make an early appointment I have to wait an hour before Dr. Johnston will see me. Dr. Johnston recommended I take 2 new drugs (1,000mg each) for the rest of my life . He also gave me a generic drug that costs almost $300 more than the earlier drug I was taking that only cost me $100 for each shot. When I told him I did not have Donald Trump’s money he said. “He would not have his money if he were not a good businessm. I feel Dr. Johnston is politically gullible. I will not see him again.
in Howell, MI |
Dr. Johnston was the surgeon who performed my radical prostatectomy (robotic laparoscopic). During my pre-surgery office visit, he was very friendly and comforting, and patiently explained everything to me. He performed the surgery masterfully, sparing my nerves (my cancer hadn't spread beyond my prostate) and reconnecting my urethra to my bladder in such a clean way that I've had neither urinary nor erectile issues. I'm forever grateful to him, and would gladly recommend him to anyone.
I can't say enough about Dr. Johnston. He's taking care of my dad and has been remarkable. So glad my dad is in such good hands. I can tell he has a big, kind, heart.
in Brighton, MI |
Dr Johnston conveys a very reassuring attitude, I felt immediately comfortable with him on my first visit. He addressed all of my and my wife's questions and concerns. He remains very attentive and interested in my recovery progress. I am grateful to be guided to such an expert! His website also very clearly and accurately explains what to expect before, day of, and hospital discharge following my procedure, and the recovery process, making me feel that I wasn't alone in my journey.
in Atlanta MI |
Thank you for short time it took see you in your office and how you worked to get me in for surgery The care and kindness you showed me you are the doctor I will refer to my friends and family THANK YOU
in Waterford, MI |
I was referred to Dr. Johnston from Dr. Eliya I had several tumors on both of my kidneys with my right one needing about a third of it removed. So I met with Dr. Johnston for consultation and it was a great experience. He answered mine and my wife's questions and showed us my MRI. Went over his plan of attach and I was so confident he was the man for the job. I have had my first surgery on the worst kidney and everything went great. Now I am recovering to get ready for the other kidney surgery
Have you seen Dr. William Johnston III, MD?
Are you Dr. Johnston III?

See our Urologic Oncology Specialist at Henry Ford Hospital