Dr. William Cooney, MD

Orthopedic SurgeryMaleAge 50

Orthopedic Surgery

Dr. William Cooney, MD is an Orthopedic Surgery Specialist in Longmont, CO and has over 23 years of experience in the medical field. Dr. Cooney has extensive experience in Shoulder & Upper Arm Surgery and Knee & Lower Limb Surgery. He graduated from Saint Louis University School of Medicine in 2000. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as Good Samaritan Medical Center and Longmont United Hospital. His office accepts new patients and telehealth appointments.

Dr. William Cooney, MD

Orthopaedic And Spine Center Of The Rockies

1551 Professional Ln Unit 200 Longmont, CO 80501
Telehealth services available

Telehealth services available

Compare with other Orthopedic Surgery Specialists

Compare Dr. Cooney with our nearby Orthopedic Surgery Specialists at Presbyterian/St. Luke's Medical Center.

Make an appointment at Presbyterian/St. Luke's Medical Center today at (303) 997-0215.

Filter by
Provider Ratings

These providers are on the medical staff of Presbyterian/St. Luke's Medical Center.

Dr. Cooney's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Cooney

Stereotypical egotistical surgeon, avoid him
Dr Cooney is by far the worst doctor I've ever had contact with. I saw him three times hoping that my experience would get better, but it was the opposite. He never remembered anything about me and clearly hadn't reviewed my file including the imaging he'd ordered. Although I have clear radiology showing multiple issues at grade 3 he had the audacity to say that there that no one would have pain from these and that could do nothing for me. I'm pretty experienced with healthcare and have seen someone else for these issues and know that's a lie. Unless you come in with some crazy injury he thinks is fascinating be prepared to be dismissed and offered no solution or compassion. And to top it off the front desk is super rude.
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Danielle – Dec 02, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Cooney, MD?
Dr Cooney is very confident and thorough. I have seen him off and on for many years. He is the best.
Sep 12, 2021
Surgery follow-up
Jim Dottavio – Mar 28, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Cooney, MD?
Supremely knowledgeable, works very hard to be thorough and attentive for the patient.
Youth sports dad – Feb 24, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Cooney, MD?
I was worked into see dr Cooney the day I called for my condition. He was very through in reviewing my condition and informing me of possible prognosis. Condition return and again I was scheduled immediately and my re-evaluation and treatment w Has begun. The whole staff was very concerned, professional and caring.
Karen – Feb 14, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Cooney, MD?
Dr. Cooney reattached my torn bicep to my forearm in 2012 and I had a fast and complete recovery. Eight years later, I tore my other bicep and had him repair it as well. Again, the surgery was successful, and I was back to living my life in full after a normal recovery period. Both experiences exceeded my expectations as Dr. Cooney and staff held my best interests at heart. Everyone in the office was very pleasant and they cared about how I was feeling while working to get me repaired and recovered. I am thankful to have worked with the professional staff at Front Range Orthopedics. I would return, knowing I will receive quality treatment and a complete recovery to get back to living an active life.
Todd – Feb 12, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Cooney, MD?
Dr Cooney he did a good job at letting me know about the damage to my knee and he explained the procedure that he is going to do not like my first experience with the other doctor
Joyce Gallagher – Jan 31, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Cooney, MD?
I did a lot of research for knee surgeons and I’m so glad I ended up working with Dr. Cooney. I had a lot of pain in my right knee and ended up having an arthroscopy (after months of PT that resulted in more pain). He found a variety of issues during my scope and now I feel amazing. Dr. Cooney was very straightforward which I appreciated. He also wanted to make sure I managed my expectations. I feel really lucky to have found a surgeon I could completely trust and was an expert in his field.
Dec 01, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Cooney, MD?
I'm 13 days total hip post op. THRILLED so far. I've had some level of pain for quite some time so am super excited about this recovery. I would and have recommended Dr. Cooney to anyone looking for a no nonsense extraordinary orthopedic surgeon and team.
Susan Burton – Aug 20, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Cooney, MD?
Dr. Cooney is a very smart, compassionate professional. He quickly diagnosed a torn quadriceps tear I suffered and had me in surgery the next day to repair the damage. Follow has been excellent and his talented team has been incredibly supportive and responsive. I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone needing orthopedic care.
Scott Converse – Aug 12, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Cooney, MD?
Dr. Cooney did my knee replacement surgery. He was professional, and also warm, friendly and caring. He didn't push surgery, but gave an honest evaluation and possible options. His explanations were clear, he answered all my questions patiently. I have recommended him to numerous people who have also been pleased with his care. My surgery went very well. I have great confidence in him.
Judy Benham – Feb 05, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Cooney, MD?
Dr. Cooney is wonderful! I saw him for a broken shoulder two years ago and most recently for knee pain. I have received excellent care each time. Would definitely recommend him to anyone.
Cheryl Ferrari – Jan 23, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Cooney, MD?
Dr. William P. Cooney is the best. There are not enough words to describe my respect and appreciation for the good work that he does. I recently had a total hip replacement done by Dr. Cooney and I am totally pleased with every aspect of that surgery. Again there are none better than Dr. Cooney at what he does. I am and will ever be grateful to him for the wonderful work he does. Thank You Dr. Cooney
Victor D. Britton – Dec 02, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Cooney, MD?
Dr. Cooney did a great job with BOTH of my shoulder joint replacements this year! I researched doctors before selecting Dr. Cooney, but the comment "he is a perfectionist" by someone who observed him in surgery "sealed the deal". I was always given sufficient time for exams, explanations of x-rays/procedures and answering questions, both pre and post op. Dr. Cooney had both a professional and caring bedside manner. I love the results and highly recommend this skilled surgeon. (Note: Dr. Cooney was on time except for my last of many appointments this year--a day when the waiting room was more packed than I'd ever seen. He apologized profusely and sincerely.)
M. Myers – Nov 14, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Cooney, MD?
Dr. Cooney has been my go-to guy for all sorts of sports-related injuries over the years. From shoulders to elbows to hamstrings and now a broken knee cap. He is a straight shooter, won’t recommend unnecessary procedures, and always has my best interest at heart. I don’t trust anyone else! Highly recommended!
JB in Westminster – Oct 23, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Cooney, MD?
Outstanding, professional, caring, prompt, and personable. He is the best and Longmont is lucky to have quality physician in community
bob luedtke – Aug 31, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Cooney, MD?
I was in severe shoulder pain, keeping me up at night. Dr. Cooney ordered extensive X-rays and referred me to the back pain surgeon at the clinic because his analysis pointed more to my neck than to my shoulder. He then ordered an MRI and assured me that I would receive whatever help was required after the MRI was evaluated by the appropriate doctors in this facility. An MRi was ordered immediately and I was given an appointment for the next day.
Ellen M. Picker – Aug 18, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Cooney, MD?
I have seen Dr. Cooney 4 times. He is always very late for the appointment, rushes through the exam, and is curt and rude when addressing my questions. His bedside manner is totally absent. I found him to be egotistical and his brevity and lack of caring to be surprising. If he is this way before a surgery, what will he be like afterwards, especially if there are any problems?
May 30, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Cooney, MD?
A caring compassionate and skilled orthopod
May 12, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Cooney, MD?
This industry needs more personalized attention than other industries. In this office, more concern was given to "Billable Hours" than to even make or take a follow up phone call in a follow up attempt from an office visit to personalize the experience!! Absolutely NO care was offered in follow up to this patients visit! Unacceptable in health care...too personal of a field!
May 08, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Cooney, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Cooney?

``I approach each case on an individual basis taking into account his/her goals of returning to his/her pre-injury activity level. I utilize the most proven...Read more

2006
American Sports Medicine Institute
2005
Mayo Clinic|Mayo Medical School
2000
Saint Louis University School of Medicine

• Mayo Clinic - Award For Clinical Research, 2005

• Revision Total Knees Done for Extensor Problems Frequently Require Re-Operation,
  • Burch-Schneider Cage for Revision THA with Massive Ace Tabular Bone Loss: Results and Complications,
  • Platelet Glass Bead Retention Predicts Bleeding After Cardiac Surgery, Feb. 2001
  • En Bloc Resection of Tumors of the Distal End of the Ulna, March 1997
  • Blood Loss From Coronary Angiography Increase Transfusion Requirements For Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery, April 2000
  • Reoperations After 3200 Revision Total Knee Replacements: Rates, Etiology and Lessons Learned,

Memberships & Affiliations