Dr. William Chen, MD

OphthalmologyAge 61

Ophthalmology

Dr. William Chen, MD is an ophthalmology specialist in Irvine, CA and has over 46 years of experience in the medical field. They graduated from Saint Louis University / School of Medicine|St Louis Univ Sch Of Med in 1976. They are affiliated with medical facilities such as Hoag Hospital Newport Beach and Long Beach Memorial Medical Center. Their office accepts new patients.

Dr. William Chen, MD

William Chen, MD

18 Endeavor Ste 305 Irvine, CA 92618

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    Outstanding Patient Experience Award™ See hospitals
  • Hospital Satisfaction
healthgrades-rx

Save money with free prescription discounts

Optum Perks and Healthgrades are subsidiaries of RVO Health.

No malpractice claims found for California

Check Dr. Chen's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Chen treats Eyelid Disorders more than 71% of their peers

Dr. Chen treats this condition more than 71% of their peers

Dr. Chen's conditions and procedures:

• Trichiasis
  • Drooping Eyelids (Ptosis)
  • Eyelid Disorders
  • Thyroid Disease
  • Visual Field Defects
  • Asian Eyelid Surgery
  • Cosmetic Eyelid Surgery

Search for your insurance carrier and choose your plan type

Dr. Chen's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Chen

4.5

Amazing experience
I had the best experience with Doctor Chen. He has great bedside manners and is very honest and straightforward. The surgery was quick and the aftercare was minimal. I was shocked when he texted me the next day to check in. He is a great doctor and his staff is very friendly. I would highly recommend him.
Taylor – Jan 28, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Chen, MD?
He was rude and didnt care about the patient
Jul 31, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Chen, MD?
My double eyelid surgery results are excellent. I knew he was the surgeon for me when I first met him because he answered all my questions with technical details. Also, this is his specialty and I liked that he did not do anything except work with the eyes. After my surgery, he was responsive to all my inquiries and worry. I've been very pleased with Dr. Chen from the first consult to the last follow-up appointment. My eyes look natural - the exact results I was looking for.
Mar 14, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Chen, MD?
He is a very detailed Surgeon and I loved the results of my double eyelid Asian surgery??
Christine Babarovich in Rancho Santa Margarita, CA – Oct 04, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Chen, MD?
I learned how to perform double eyelid surgery reading articles but mostly from reading Dr Chen's book on double eyelid surgery. I n my opinion, he is considered one of the experts in this surgery. So when I needed upper eyelid surgery, my only choice was Dr Chen. I have done many cases of double eyelid surgery and consider myself quite proficient. But his level of expertise is on a completely different level. Since I knew he was the expert, I just let him know what I wanted and left the rest
J Chun in NEWPORT BEACH, CA – Aug 18, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Chen, MD?
Dr. Chen did a fantastic job on my eyelid surgery. Being a physician myself I was very impressed with the way he explained the procedure to me and was very pleased with the outcome. He contacted me during the days after the procedure to make sure I was doing well and to answer any questions I had. I would recommend him without reservation to anyone who desires to have surgery on their eyes.
Kenneth Rich MD in Huntington Beach, CA – May 30, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Chen, MD?
Dr. Chen was recommended to me by another doctor. At that point, I had already consulted with a couple of other doctors and was discouraged that I would ever find the right doctor. For me, the right doctor is someone who knows what he is doing, is doing it to help me out, and doesn't oversell. However, I was pleasantly surprised and I am glad that I took the time to travel to his office. I ultimately chose Dr. Chen for my revision surgery.
San Jose, CA – Oct 22, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Chen, MD?
I had 3 prior double eyelid surgeries by 2 different surgeons and they were never able to give me a double eyelid on the left eye, and did a terrible job on my right. Dr. Chen was kind, caring, and took his time to discuss realistic results. Not only did he fix the mistakes from the previous surgeries, he made my eyes look AMAZING! Now i cant stop smiling when I look in the mirror knowing I got the lids I've always wanted. He is the go to for first time & especially if you need a revision!!
A GRATEFUL PT in Silver Spring, MD – Oct 05, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Chen, MD?
He is a very well respected physician in this field...he's been doing this so long he actually wrote many of the first authoritative articles/textbooks on blepharoplasty. Even when I visited another eye surgeon for a second opinion consultation, he told me he actually trained under Dr. Chen. Bottom line, I'm very happy with my surgery and would 100% recommend Dr. Chen. I can speak with the perspective of someone who works in health care: he is VERY honest, careful, kind, and good at what he does
Irvine, CA – Oct 05, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Chen, MD?
Find another surgeon to do eyes. He had decent bedside manner but I had a bad outcome. Loads of complications and scarring.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
CR – Sep 09, 2017
This patient had previous surgery before seeing...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Chen, MD?
If you are thinking of double eyelid surgery, please reconsider! I saw Dr. Chen several years ago and asked for low, tapered creases, and ended up with a high parallel crease on one eye and a lower tapered crease on the other. My results are asymmetrical and unnatural (obviously surgical). I regret it every day and it's impossible to revise, so I'm permanently stuck with a ruined face and a ruined life. In my case, Dr. Chen's "expert" knowledge did not translate into surgical results.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
  • Long wait times
Los Angeles, CA – Aug 20, 2017
See REPLY to CR comment( which was dated...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Chen, MD?
I contacted Dr Chen 4 yrs ago and was uncertain about surgery. He never pushed or was impatient with me because I needed time. He always answered questions and listened well. I contacted surgeons and ophthalmologists. None put me at ease like Dr. Chen. His specialization in the eye and expert understanding of asian eyes made him the only choice for me. This month I had the procedure and am happy with my results. Dr. Chen listened to what I wanted & expertly carried out what we discussed.
Kew, VIC – Apr 23, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Chen, MD?
The best doctor for Asian eyelids. He makes it so natural and the recovery is quick. He is aways available to answer questions. I was so impressed I flew from out of state to use him for the second time. The first time was 20 years ago.
Apr 15, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Chen, MD?
I had double eyelid surgery with Dr. Chen in February and traveled from the east coast to do so. Dr. Chen made me feel very comfortable and understood my vision. He was very gentle during surgery and I did not feel any pain afterwards. I had a little bruising and swelling on my eyes, which is normal, but they healed rather quickly. I know I still have some healing left to do since it's only been about a month, but I love the results so far. My coworkers keep commenting on how natural it looks!
Ny – Mar 13, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Chen, MD?
Dr. Chen did a revision on one of my droopy eyelid. The ptosis occurred after I had an upper blepharoplasty performed by another doctor (well known in the media and "realself") in Beverly Hills. I'm almost 3 month post-op and I couldn't be any happier with my results. My only regret is not going to him first. I was fortunate enough to hear about him on an online forum. My whole experience from the free consultation to the post op has been wonderful. I will be forever grateful to Dr. Chen!!!
CA – Mar 08, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Chen, MD?
Dr. Chen is the best of the best. Surgery around the eye is measured in millimeters. He is a true master!
Los Angeles – Nov 29, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Chen, MD?
Dr. Chen is a truly AMAZING doctor. He is genuine, caring, confident, assertive and precise. Through the whole process, from the consultation to the operation and the post op followup, I was never afraid. I had total confidence in Dr. Chen as he did himself. I am more than happy with the results. I admire Dr. Chen his commitment to himself , his patients make him the best at what he does. I absolutely and enthusiastically recommend him. He "CARES"!
C. McClarin in DALLAS, TX – Oct 23, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Chen, MD?
Dr Cben is worth flying across the the US for. He did my surgery 22 years ago and again this year. I wouldn't go anywhere else. He will guarantee you a very natural look. If your afraid to look contrived and artificial than he is the person to see. He listens and has the best bed side manner. The surgery was painless and done under local. I didn't even need Tylenol after surgery. I'm in plastic surgery and flew to Dr Chen because I wanted the best and would never compromise on my face. He is #1
Artistry in Miami, FL – Jul 10, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Chen, MD?
Dr. Chen is a wonderful doctor who is not only a specialist in performing eyelid surgeries, but also a caring doctor. I had two previous eyelid surgeries that failed and Dr. Chen were able to fix my problem. He also checked up frequently after the surgery.
Jun 04, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Chen, MD?
Dr. Chen is an extremely talented surgeon. His surgical skills is precise and amazing. Not only that, Dr. Chen is patient and attentive to all your concerns and questions. I have consulted various doctors for the blepharoplasty. Dr. Chen made me feel very comfortable with going forth with this procedure I have been wanting for years. I also flew from the East coast to have this procedure done by Dr. Chen. Dr C and his staff made this whole experience a very smooth one. Definitely worth the trip!
Hackensack, NJ – May 31, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. William Chen, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Chen?