Do good work, lead, and teach.
As an eye plastic surgeon, the safety and care of your eyes are my utmost concern. I aim for a pleasant experience and a natural result for all my patients.
U.C.Berkeley A.B.* (Distinction in General Scholarship, Graduated within Honors program majoring in Biochemistry, double majored in Zoology)
St.Louis University School of Medicine, M.D. (Graduated with election to the Alpha Omega Alpha, a National Honor Medical Society; Top Prize in Biochemistry in the class.)
Internship in Internal Medicine at LAC-USC Medical Center,
Residency in Ophthalmology at UCLA Combined program;
Fellowship in Eye Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery at Emory University, Atlanta, GA.
Clinical Professor of Ophthalmology at UCLA, since 2001.
Departmental Senior Award for Teaching, UCLA, 2008
Medical Textbooks Published
1. Asian Blepharoplasty(A Surgical Atlas), Butterworth-Heinemann,1995.
2."Oculoplastic Surgery—The Essentials"(Textbook): Chen, WPDC (Editor), Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc. (Stuttgart, New York); 2001. Subsequently Translated to Portugese for the Brazilian market.
3."Color Atlas of Cosmetic Oculofacial Surgery" (Textbook): Chen, Khan, McCord, Butterworth-Heinemann/Elsevier Science. 2004.
4. Chen,WPD: "Asian Blepharoplasty and the Eyelid Crease, with DVD." (A color atlas). Butterworth-Heinemann/Elsevier Science, Ltd. (2006)
5."Color Atlas of Cosmetic Oculofacial Surgery, with DVD", 2nd Edition (Textbook),Chen WPD, Khan J, Elsevier-Science/Saunders, 2010. Translated to Spanish Edition.
6. WPD Chen: "Asian Blepharoplasty & the Eyelid Crease", 2016 textbook with video resources (Inkling Platform) (3rd Edition. Elsevier Science.)
Academic Peer-reviewed Publications (abbreviated listing)
1.Asian Blepharoplasty--Anatomy & Technique. J. Ophthal. Plast. and Reconstr. Surg; Vol.3 (3):135-140,1987.
2. A Comparision of Caucasian & Asian Blepharoplasty. Ophthalmic Practice, Vol.9 (5): 216-222,1991.
3. Concept of Triangular, Rectangular & Trapezoidal Debulking of Eyelid Tissues:Application in Asian Blepharoplasty. Plast. Reconstr. Surgery; Vol.97,No.1:212-218;Jan.1996.
4. "Aesthetic Eyelid Surgery in Asians: An East-West View." Hong Kong Journal of Ophthalmology. Vol.3, No.1. Pages 27-31. 2000
5. Chen WPD: The Concept of a Glide Zone as It Relates to Upper Lid Crease, Lid Fold, and Application in Upper Blepharoplasty. Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery.119(1):379-386, January 2007.
6. Chen WPD: Beveled Approach for Revisional Surgery in Asian Blepharoplasty. Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery.120(2):545-552, August 2007.
7. "Asian Blepharoplasty", Chapter 10, in textbook of "Eyelid & Periorbital Surgery", in pages 317-330, Editors: McCord CD and Codner MA. Quality Medical Publishing, Inc. 2008
8. "Asian Blepharoplasty", chapter in "The Art of Aesthetic Surgery: Principles & Techniques"(Second Edition), Edited by Foad Nahai, Quality Medical Publishing, Inc. (2011)
9.Asian Upper Lid Blepharoplasty: An Update on Indications & Technique. WPD Chen, J Park. Facial Plastic Surgery 2013; 29:26-31
10. S Chang, WPD Chen, IC Cho,TJ Ahn: "Comprehensive Review of Asian Cosmetic Upper Eyelid Oculoplastic Surgery: Asian Blepharoplasty and the Like". Arch Aesthetic Plast Surg 2014; 20(3):129-139
11. "Visual, Physiological, and Aesthetic Factors and Pitfalls in Asian Blepharoplasty." ( WPD Chen) Aesth Surg Journal 2016; 36(3):275-83 (Oxford University Press)
12. WPD Chen: "Lower Eyelid Blepharoplasty", Chapter in "Aesthetic Rejuvenation of the Face & Neck", pg 268-272 (Bruce F. Connell, Michael J. Sundine) 2016 (Thieme Medical Publishers)
13. Chapter 10 on Asian Blepharoplasty: in Eyelid & Periocular Surgery, Second Edition (by Mark Codner and Clinton McCord MD;CRC Press.)
14. Upper Eyelid Crease Malposition, Correction & Treatment. Chapter in "Problems in Oculoplastic Surgery: A Repair Manual" (Foad Nahai, Editor; CRC Press.)
15. Surgery: Facial Plastic Surgery", Wayne F.Larrabee MD, Ridgway & Patel. Lippencott Williams & Wilkins) (In press 2018)
16. WPD Chen(Senior Author), in Chapter 31: "Asian Blepharoplasty", in "Essentials of Aesthetic Surgery " (Textbook, Editor: Jeff Janis MD) (Thieme Publishing, Inc. In press)