Plastic Surgery  |
Dr. William Chen, MD
U.C.Berkeley A.B.* (Distinction in General Scholarship, Graduated within Honors program majoring in Biochemistry, double majored in Zoology) St.Louis University School of Medicine, M.D. (Graduated with election to the Alpha Omega Alpha, a National Honor Medical Society; Top Prize in Biochemistry in the class.) Internship in Internal Medicine at LAC-USC Medical Center, Residency in Ophthalmology at UCLA Combined program; Fellowship in Eye Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery at Emory University, Atlanta, GA. Clinical Professor of Ophthalmology at UCLA, since 2001. Departmental Senior Award for Teaching, UCLA, 2008 Medical Textbooks Published 1. Asian Blepharoplasty(A Surgical Atlas), Butterworth-Heinemann,1995. 2."Oculoplastic Surgery—The Essentials"(Textbook): Chen, WPDC (Editor), Thieme Medical Publishers, Inc. (Stuttgart, New York); 2001. Subsequently Translated to Portugese for the Brazilian market. 3."Color Atlas of Cosmetic Oculofacial Surgery" (Textbook): Chen, Khan, McCord, Butterworth-Heinemann/Elsevier Science. 2004. 4. Chen,WPD: "Asian Blepharoplasty and the Eyelid Crease, with DVD." (A color atlas). Butterworth-Heinemann/Elsevier Science, Ltd. (2006) 5."Color Atlas of Cosmetic Oculofacial Surgery, with DVD", 2nd Edition (Textbook),Chen WPD, Khan J, Elsevier-Science/Saunders, 2010. Translated to Spanish Edition. 6. WPD Chen: "Asian Blepharoplasty & the Eyelid Crease", 2016 textbook with video resources (Inkling Platform) (3rd Edition. Elsevier Science.) Academic Peer-reviewed Publications (abbreviated listing) 1.Asian Blepharoplasty--Anatomy & Technique. J. Ophthal. Plast. and Reconstr. Surg; Vol.3 (3):135-140,1987. 2. A Comparision of Caucasian & Asian Blepharoplasty. Ophthalmic Practice, Vol.9 (5): 216-222,1991. 3. Concept of Triangular, Rectangular & Trapezoidal Debulking of Eyelid Tissues:Application in Asian Blepharoplasty. Plast. Reconstr. Surgery; Vol.97,No.1:212-218;Jan.1996. 4. "Aesthetic Eyelid Surgery in Asians: An East-West View." Hong Kong Journal of Ophthalmology. Vol.3, No.1. Pages 27-31. 2000 5. Chen WPD: The Concept of a Glide Zone as It Relates to Upper Lid Crease, Lid Fold, and Application in Upper Blepharoplasty. Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery.119(1):379-386, January 2007. 6. Chen WPD: Beveled Approach for Revisional Surgery in Asian Blepharoplasty. Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery.120(2):545-552, August 2007. 7. "Asian Blepharoplasty", Chapter 10, in textbook of "Eyelid & Periorbital Surgery", in pages 317-330, Editors: McCord CD and Codner MA. Quality Medical Publishing, Inc. 2008 8. "Asian Blepharoplasty", chapter in "The Art of Aesthetic Surgery: Principles & Techniques"(Second Edition), Edited by Foad Nahai, Quality Medical Publishing, Inc. (2011) 9.Asian Upper Lid Blepharoplasty: An Update on Indications & Technique. WPD Chen, J Park. Facial Plastic Surgery 2013; 29:26-31 10. S Chang, WPD Chen, IC Cho,TJ Ahn: "Comprehensive Review of Asian Cosmetic Upper Eyelid Oculoplastic Surgery: Asian Blepharoplasty and the Like". Arch Aesthetic Plast Surg 2014; 20(3):129-139 11. "Visual, Physiological, and Aesthetic Factors and Pitfalls in Asian Blepharoplasty." ( WPD Chen) Aesth Surg Journal 2016; 36(3):275-83 (Oxford University Press) 12. WPD Chen: "Lower Eyelid Blepharoplasty", Chapter in "Aesthetic Rejuvenation of the Face & Neck", pg 268-272 (Bruce F. Connell, Michael J. Sundine) 2016 (Thieme Medical Publishers) 13. Chapter 10 on Asian Blepharoplasty: in Eyelid & Periocular Surgery, Second Edition (by Mark Codner and Clinton McCord MD;CRC Press.) 14. Upper Eyelid Crease Malposition, Correction & Treatment. Chapter in "Problems in Oculoplastic Surgery: A Repair Manual" (Foad Nahai, Editor; CRC Press.) 15. Surgery: Facial Plastic Surgery", Wayne F.Larrabee MD, Ridgway & Patel. Lippencott Williams & Wilkins) (In press 2018) 16. WPD Chen(Senior Author), in Chapter 31: "Asian Blepharoplasty", in "Essentials of Aesthetic Surgery " (Textbook, Editor: Jeff Janis MD) (Thieme Publishing, Inc. In press)

Irvine Spectrum area office

18 Endeavor Ste 305

Irvine, CA 92618

• Anthem Blue Cross
  • Elderplan
  • HAP Insurance
  • NGS CoreSource

Learn about Dr. Chen

Do good work, lead, and teach.

As an eye plastic surgeon, the safety and care of your eyes are my utmost concern. I aim for a pleasant experience and a natural result for all my patients.

Dr. Chen's Experience

Dr. Chen's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Plastic Surgery

• Blepharitis
  • Blocked Tear Duct
  • Cataract
  • Chalazion
  • Drooping Eyelids (Ptosis)
  • Dry Eyes

• Repair of Entropion or Ectropion
  • Skin Grafts
  • Tear Duct Surgery
  • Wound Repair

No malpractice history found for California.

• University of California At Berkeley
  • Fellow Of American Academy Of Ophthalmology
    Other Education | Completed
  • Fellow, American Society Of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
    Other Education | Completed

Dr. Chen has no media or publications listed.

• Chinese

Dr. Chen does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Chen and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Chen's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Chen to family and friends
Dr. Chen's Performance
Find another surgeon to do eyes. He had decent bedside manner but I had a bad outcome. Loads of complications and scarring.
Los Angeles, CA |
If you are thinking of double eyelid surgery, please reconsider! I saw Dr. Chen several years ago and asked for low, tapered creases, and ended up with a high parallel crease on one eye and a lower tapered crease on the other. My results are asymmetrical and unnatural (obviously surgical). I regret it every day and it's impossible to revise, so I'm permanently stuck with a ruined face and a ruined life. In my case, Dr. Chen's "expert" knowledge did not translate into surgical results.
Kew, VIC |
I contacted Dr Chen 4 yrs ago and was uncertain about surgery. He never pushed or was impatient with me because I needed time. He always answered questions and listened well. I contacted surgeons and ophthalmologists. None put me at ease like Dr. Chen. His specialization in the eye and expert understanding of asian eyes made him the only choice for me. This month I had the procedure and am happy with my results. Dr. Chen listened to what I wanted & expertly carried out what we discussed.
The best doctor for Asian eyelids. He makes it so natural and the recovery is quick. He is aways available to answer questions. I was so impressed I flew from out of state to use him for the second time. The first time was 20 years ago.
Ny |
I had double eyelid surgery with Dr. Chen in February and traveled from the east coast to do so. Dr. Chen made me feel very comfortable and understood my vision. He was very gentle during surgery and I did not feel any pain afterwards. I had a little bruising and swelling on my eyes, which is normal, but they healed rather quickly. I know I still have some healing left to do since it's only been about a month, but I love the results so far. My coworkers keep commenting on how natural it looks!
CA |
Dr. Chen did a revision on one of my droopy eyelid. The ptosis occurred after I had an upper blepharoplasty performed by another doctor (well known in the media and "realself") in Beverly Hills. I'm almost 3 month post-op and I couldn't be any happier with my results. My only regret is not going to him first. I was fortunate enough to hear about him on an online forum. My whole experience from the free consultation to the post op has been wonderful. I will be forever grateful to Dr. Chen!!!
Los Angeles |
Dr. Chen is the best of the best. Surgery around the eye is measured in millimeters. He is a true master!
in DALLAS, TX |
Dr. Chen is a truly AMAZING doctor. He is genuine, caring, confident, assertive and precise. Through the whole process, from the consultation to the operation and the post op followup, I was never afraid. I had total confidence in Dr. Chen as he did himself. I am more than happy with the results. I admire Dr. Chen his commitment to himself , his patients make him the best at what he does. I absolutely and enthusiastically recommend him. He "CARES"!
in Miami, FL |
Dr Cben is worth flying across the the US for. He did my surgery 22 years ago and again this year. I wouldn't go anywhere else. He will guarantee you a very natural look. If your afraid to look contrived and artificial than he is the person to see. He listens and has the best bed side manner. The surgery was painless and done under local. I didn't even need Tylenol after surgery. I'm in plastic surgery and flew to Dr Chen because I wanted the best and would never compromise on my face. He is #1
Dr. Chen is a wonderful doctor who is not only a specialist in performing eyelid surgeries, but also a caring doctor. I had two previous eyelid surgeries that failed and Dr. Chen were able to fix my problem. He also checked up frequently after the surgery.
Hackensack, NJ |
Dr. Chen is an extremely talented surgeon. His surgical skills is precise and amazing. Not only that, Dr. Chen is patient and attentive to all your concerns and questions. I have consulted various doctors for the blepharoplasty. Dr. Chen made me feel very comfortable with going forth with this procedure I have been wanting for years. I also flew from the East coast to have this procedure done by Dr. Chen. Dr C and his staff made this whole experience a very smooth one. Definitely worth the trip!
Dr. Chen is amazing! He is the most knowledgeable doc in his field, which is why people from all over the world come to see him. I recently visited his office because another surgeon messed up my eyes. I was so touched by his thoughtfulness, communication skills, and level of knowledge. I regret not coming to him from the beginning. This man is the real deal. He knows his stuff (he writes the textbooks that medical students use) yet he's humble and down to earth. Even his staff are wonderful.
in San Diego, CA |
Before coming to Dr. Chen, I researched doctors throughout California who could perform the eyelid surgery I needed. I had never had surgery before, so I was very nervous about finding the right doctor. All of those concerns floated away once I consulted Dr. Chen. Dr. Chen has a warm bedside manner, listens attentively to patient concerns, and is incredibly knowledgeable - he truly is the leading expert in his field. Four months post-surgery, I am beyond happy with the results! Thank you!!!
Have you seen Dr. William Chen, MD?
Are you Dr. Chen?