Dr. William Barrett, MD

Dr. William Barrett, MD

Orthopedic Surgery  |
Dr. William Barrett, MD is an orthopedic surgery doctor who practices in Renton, WA. He is 64 years old and has been practicing for 37 years. Read his story

4011 Talbot Rd S Ste 300

• LifeWise
  • Moda Health
  • PHCS

Learn about Dr. Barrett

See how frequently Dr. Barrett performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Hip Replacement
Osteoarthritis of Hip
Osteoarthritis of Hip and Thigh

Dr. Barrett's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Barrett's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Barrett "Dr . William Barrett is board certified and fellowship trained orthopedic surgeon who specializes in primary and revision hip and knee replacement. He performs over 500 joint replacement procedures annually. He is actively involved in clinical research on Anterior Approach Total Hip Replacement (THR) and Total Knee Replacement (TKR). His research department maintains a prospective joint registry, tracking the outcomes of their hip and knee replacement patients. As a nationally recognized joint replacement surgeon, Dr. Barrett lectures globally on hip and knee replacement topics. He has been active in the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Continuing Medical Education programs. He is the chairman of the Education Committee for the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons (AAHKS). Dr. Barrett has been and continues to be involved in the design of some of the most commonly used hip and knee replacement systems. He is the medical director for the Joint Center at Valley Medical Center in Renton, WA, recognized by HealthGrades as one of America's 100 best hospitals for Joint Replacement 2014 -2016. The Center for Medical Services ranks Valley Medical Center one of the Top 95 centers for joint replacement in the U.S., and the only recognized center in Washington state. He is president of the VOA Research Foundation and practices at the Proliance Orthopedic Associates Renton office. Dr. Barrett was named a top doctor for joint replacement from 2007-2016 by Seattle Magazine and Seattle Metropolitan Magazine. Dr. Barrett has published book chapters and medical journal articles, and presented to the global medical community: Book chapter Primary Total Hip: Modular Stems in Advanced Reconstruction: Hip 2 AAOS 2016 Faculty, AAHKS 1st and 2nd Annual Spring Meeting, 2016, 2017 Journal Article: The Use of Metaphyseal Sleeves in Revision Total Knee Replacement The Knee. 2016; 23(3):545-548 Poster presentation "Midterm Results of a Moderately Crosslinked Polyethylene"2015 ICJR Pan Pacific Congress; Kona, Hawaii Journal Article, "In-Vivo Alignment Comparing Patient Specific Instrumentation with both Conventional and /Computer Assisted Surgery (CAS) Instrumentation in Total Knee Arthroplasty", The Journal of Arthroplasty, February 2014 Poster presentation "The Use of Metaphyseal Sleeves in Revision Total Knee Replacement:, American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons Annual Meeting, November 2013 Faculty, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons course "From Primary to Revision; Total Hip Replacement." American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Rosemont, IL, November 2013 Journal Article "Prospective Randomized Study of Direct Anterior vs Posterio-Lateral Approach for Total Hip Arthroplasty", The Journal of Arthroplasty, October 2013 Journal Article "Large Diameter Modular Metal-on-Metal Total Hip Arthroplasty: Incidence of Revision for Adverse Reaction to Metallic Debris," the Journal of Arthroplasty, June 2012 Journal Article "Comparison of Radiographic Alignment of Imageless Computer-Assisted Surgery vs. Conventional Instrumentation in Primary Total Knee Arthroplasty," Barrett et al, The Journal of Arthroplasty, December 2011 Faculty, "Anterior Approach to Total Hip Arthroplasty," DePuy Orthopaedics Tissue-Sparing Solutions, Henderson, NV, 2009-2016 Faculty, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons course, "Knee Arthroplasty: Uni, Total and Revision, Insight and New Technique," Chicago, IL, October 2008-2011 Faculty, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons course "Innovative Techniques in Primary Revision Total Hip Arthroplasty," Chicago, IL, October 2007, 2009, 2011 Learn about the latest in joint replacement. Read and post comments at Dr. Barrett's joint replacement blog."

This content was provided by Dr. Barrett "We strive to listen to your history / symptoms, evaluate your exam and studies and provide you with the best options for treatment. If surgery is an option we hope to assist you in making a well informed decision based on "best practices" guidelines regarding possible surgery. "

• Joint Replacement & Reconstruction Orthopedics

• Synovial Biopsy
  • Total Hip Replacement
  • Total Knee Replacement
  • Uni-Compartmental Knee Replacement

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Washington.

• University of Southern California
  • Brigham and Womens Hospital
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1986
  • Harvard Sch Med
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

Dr. Barrett has no media or publications listed.

• Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society, Member
  • Phi Betta Kappa Honor Society, Member
  • Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, Member

Dr. Barrett's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Barrett to family and friends
Dr. Barrett's Performance
Seattle, WA |
Dr. Barrett's name was top of the list of recommendations provided by the prominent physicians I quizzed regarding total knee replacements. Aside from extensive experience, Dr. Barret was never rushed when I asked lots of questions before and after surgery. His post-op rehab instructions & expectations were spot on. Surgical care at Valley Medical's joint replacement center was top notch. I had no hesitation returning to Dr. Barrett for my other knee replacement just 4 months after the first.
in Richland, WA |
Dr. William Barrett ,his assistants and staff are all top of the line , Best of the Best !! Dr. Barrett is the number one doctor to choose if you want the best possible surgeon to replace your knee or hip joints . He listened to me and answered all my questions , I felt very comfortable with him , he is a great caring person . He replaced both of my knees and I was back to work in 8 weeks . I was educated on everything I needed to do before and after surgery which was a great comfort 1000??S
in Gig Harbor, WA |
Dr Barrett is one of the best orthopedic doctors in the states. He is extremely professional and caring for his patients and puts you at ease in knowing you are in good hands. The results of my full hip replacement surgery were way past my expectations, as I have gained full use with no limitations in range of motion and activities. I am truly blessed to have been able to have Dr Barrett provide his surgical skills in giving me back my active life with no pain whatsoever.
in Renton, WA |
Dr. Barrett is the best choice when choosing an orthopedic surgeon. I have had 7 knee surgeries thanks to college football and needed a total knee replacement at the age of 53. Dr. Barrett is the most qualified and credentialed surgeon on the west coast, and my new knee is a testament to his abilities. I was only out of work for 2 weeks, and with a committed physical therapist I was better than ever at 4 months. I can bike, hike, jog and get down on my knees in thanks. I couldn't do that before.
in Lynnwood, WA |
Dr. Barrett replaced my left knee two years ago. I am able to hike hills, go to the gym, and do everything I did before I had terrible knee pain. Dr. Barrett was recommended by several friends, and, in doing my research, he was touted as the best orthopedic doctor around. I had my surgery, and he was friendly, professional, and skilled . I have recommended him to many of my friends. He is the best.
in Olympia, WA |
I have been battling TKR for a year now done by Dr. Barrett. Just had new xrays and evaluation elsewhere and there is a question about the prosthesis being too large and placement on the shin bone. If you can get anyone from his staff to follow up they will use the standard line that it can take 12-18 months to heal and you just haven't worked hard enough. Don't expect any follow through after your surgery and if you have any problems you will have to make an appointment. Good luck.
in Seattle Wa |
From the first appointment to my followup seven weeks after hip surgery everything that I experienced was very professional. My surgery was perfect and my recovery was phenomenal! One week after surgery i was walking without a walker or cane. I am now back to doing things that I couldn't do prior to surgery and I am biking daily. I highly recommend Dr. Barrett and the surgical technique he uses!
in Covington, WA |
Dr. Barrett was outstanding. He performed a total hip replacement on my left hip. I have very little pain. I can finally move with ease. Dr. Barrett listened to all my questions and answered them all in laymen's terms so I would understand the entire process from surgery to rehab. His staff was also outstanding.
in Puyallup, WA |
I recently underwent hip replacement surgery and the entire experience from start to finish was excellent. Dr. Barrett is nothing short of a miracle worker. I would highly recommend Dr. Barrett and his staff for any type of joint replacement surgery.
Dr. Barrett has replaced both my knees with excellent results. He and his team provide excellent care. The joint replacement center at Valley Medical center is superb. I greatly appreciate the attention given to infection control. Dr. Barrett provides compassionate current best practice care.
King County, WA |
Dr. Barrett and his team provided an excellent experience and outcome for my hip replacement surgery. They follow established hygienic procedures to minimize the chance of infection. Their technical skill is superb, I just passed my one year anniversary and the hip feels great. I now look forward to many pain free years with my new hip.
in Renton, wa |
I have heard nothing but good things about Dr. Barrett, and that is why I had him do my knee surgery. I am very pleased that he did the surgery. My knee feels great. when it is time to have my other knee done, he will be my first choice.
in Graham, WA |
I had a total hip replacement on May 9, 2016. Dr. Barrett and staff answered all my questions about the surgery and what to expect. I spent one night in the hospital and left the next day on crutches. Transitioned to a cane after about a week and was walking unassisted in three weeks.I went back to work in less than 4 weeks and I get to try riding my horse again at 2 months post-op. I feel great and have no pain in my hip at all. I highly recommend Dr. Barrett for joint replacement surgery.
in Snohomish, WA |
I would not recommend any other Doctor than Dr. Barrett! I put off having my knee replaced for years trying to find the best knee surgeon in our area. I wanted to make sure it was done right the first time. I knew I found the right Doctor when a friend referred me to Dr. Barrett after he fixed her husbands knee replacement that had gone wrong by another surgeon. In addition, I found that Dr. Barrett has been rated as TOP DOC by Seattle Magazine for years! He is my only choice!
in Fircrest, WA |
I had an anterior left hip replacement with outstanding results with Dr. Barrett. I was able to walk 2 miles one month after surgery. All the wonderful ratings I read about Dr. Barrett when researching this procedure online turned out to be true. He and his staff inspire confidence every step of the way that you are receiving state of the art care. I could not have asked for a better experience. I have recommended him to both family and friends needing hip and knee replacements.
in Issaquah, WA |
Dr. Barrett and his team are professional, competent and the best in the area for joint replacements. Since they have so much experience, I chose Dr Barrett over 2 others that I consulted with and my results have been great. He prepared me for what to expect during and after surgery and I went in without fear of the unknown. I am a physical therapist and I have met and worked with orthopedic surgeons my whole career and I feel so fortunate to have had Dr. Barrett perform my surgery.
in Seattle, WA |
I couldn't be more thrilled with my hip replacement surgery. Thank you for giving me my life back. Dr. Barrett and his whole staff were excellent. It couldn't have gone any smoother. I am not in pain anymore. Hallelujah!
Excellent experience! I was afraid to have a total hip replacement because I thought the pain would be too much, or something bad would happen. Turns out, I worried for nothing. I was walking without my walker in one week. I exercised as directed and healed quickly. I thought Valley General was an excellent facility and the nursing staff were great! I would highly recommend Dr Barrett if you need a jip replacement.
in Bonney Lake, WA |
I had a total hip replacement January 2016, and am amazed and so thrilled with the outcome. It was so much easier than I had anticipated. Dr Barrett and his team do great work and make you feel as though you matter. Had seen several other Doctors before meeting with Dr. Barrett, and the moment he came in the room I knew he was the one. Would recommend him to anyone, in fact I have. Thank you Dr Barrett and team for giving me my mobility back.
in Renton, WA |
My surgery was a complex hip replacement secondary to a genetic defect. Surgery went off without a hitch, I've had zero complications from the surgery and my pain is totally gone. Dr. Barrett's selection of the anterior approach helped to keep my recovery period and post operative nuisances to a minimum. I was well informed prior to the surgery and well cared for the day of and after during my recovery in the Joint Center at Valley Medical Center. Top notch doc/hospital/group.
in Seattle, WA |
I had an excellent result with Dr. Barrett's anterior-approach total hip replacement in early 2014. I recommend Dr. Barrett without reservation. He is a leader in his profession and has a great resume ( http://www.prolianceorthopedicassociates.com/physicians/william-p-barrett-md/). He does hundreds of hip replacement surgeries each year, which is definitely what you want, as there is definitely a good-sized learning curve with the newer, better anterior approach. Thank you, Dr. Barrett !
in Seattle, WA |
I just had my hip replaced in January of 2016. I chose Dr. Barrett to perform my surgery for a couple of reasons: #1 He has done more anterior hip replacement surgeries than most of the orthopedic surgeons in the Seattle area. #2 He has a reputation for caring about his patients-he listens, answers all your questions and provides advice. I had no complications- I am 5 weeks out and walking 3+miles a day with big hills and looking forward to my first hike! I highly recommend him.
in Sumner, WA |
I had my left hip replaced by Dr Barrett in December. This was my 2nd hip replacement. I had my right hip replaced by a different Dr 10 years ago. What a difference! My recovery time was amazing! I was walking with a cane 4 days post surgery. I was back at my job as a PE teacher 3 weeks after surgery. I have no more hip pain! I highly recommend Dr Barrett. In fact, he is replacing my dad's hip in March!
in Renton, WA |
Dr. Barret is a very busy guy, but still takes the time to do seminars and meet with patients. He took the time to answer all out questions. His reputation is well-deserved. I couldn't be more satisfied with the care and outcome.
in North Bend, WA |
I was looking for the best Orthopedic Surgeon for a total left hip replacement - after years of running and the onset of arthritis and bone spurs. I was referred to Dr. Barrett by several individuals and my personal physician; I was advised to wait, if needed, for Dr. Barrett because he was tops in the field. I waited 5 months - but glad I did. I was up and walking the day after surgery, home on the following day, and threw away pain medication/walker/cane during the same week.
in washington state |
Dr Barrett preformed TWO total hip replacements on me and it was a total success!!!! I will refer him to anyone who is in need of a hip replacement. The new Anterior approach is the only way to have it done and he is THE DOCTOR OF CHOICE!!!! thank you Dr Barrett and your wonderful team!!!!
in Kent, WA |
Dr. Barrett takes a complete care approach to patients hip or knee issues vs. just rushing to surgery. He has a reputation of being one of the best in the Pacific Northwest and this reputation is well earned. He is very open and easy to talk to, takes time to discuss options and procedures, and provides excellent care before, during, and after surgery
Have you seen Dr. William Barrett, MD?
Are you Dr. Barrett?