Dr. Vinayak Bapat, MD

Dr. Vinayak Bapat, MD

Cardiac Surgery  ·

Dr. Vinayak Bapat, MD is a cardiac surgery specialist in New York, NY and has been practicing for 25 years. He specializes in cardiac surgery.Read his story

Columbia University Medical Center Surgery

• WellCare

Learn about Dr. Bapat

Video

Dr. Bapat's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Bapat "I joined NewYork-Presbyterian Columbia University Medical Center (CUMC) in the field of cardiac and valve surgery and interventions. As Assistant Professor of Surgery at Columbia University Medical Center and Director, Transcatheter Valve Therapy in the Section of Cardiac Surgery, I am eager to advance care and bring innovative approaches to the treatment of heart disease, especially heart valve disease. I come from a family of physicians and received my medical degree from Seth G.S. Medical School & King Edward VII Memorial Hospital, Mumbai, where I completed residencies in both general surgery and cardiothoracic surgery. During my residency, I continued to publish and present nationally and internationally. Throughout my training my area of interest was valve surgery and aortic surgery. In 1998, I received a fellowship at the Royal College of Surgeons in Edinburgh. In the UK, I specialized in complex valve surgery including infective endocarditis and reoperations, and in aortic surgery. I initiated in later years the aortic dissection service and we became the highest-volume dissection center in the UK. I also led the minimally invasive (key-hole) aortic valve replacement program (MIS) and pioneered the use of sutureless valves. In addition, I established the Anterior Right Thoracotomy (ART) approach for aortic valve replacement in the UK and have trained others in the UK, Europe and Asia in this approach. Working at the forefront of Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR), I developed new methods of performing TAVR which led to improved patient outcomes all over the world (transaortic approach). Further, I led the field in valve-in-valve therapy and have developed smart phone Apps to guide users in this procedure. The Apps are used by all TAVR users globally. As a researcher, I have been involved in an early feasibility study of transcatheter mitral valve implantation (TMVR) and performed the first-in-man implant of Edwards' FORTIS device (February 2014) and of Medtronic's Intrepid device (2015). I am highly experienced in the use of TAVR devices in the mitral position, especially in complex scenarios. Currently, I sit on the advisory boards of numerous companies creating new mitral valve technologies, with a special interest in valve design and transcatheter mitral valve treatment."

This content was provided by Dr. Bapat "We are committed to delivering the best care and an exceptional patient experience. We are devoted to providing services that are patient-centered and compassionate, and care for you as a person. "

• Cardiac Surgery

Dr. Bapat does not have any board certifications listed.

• Mitral Valve Prolapse
  • Mitral Valve Regurgitation
  • Mitral Valve Stenosis

• Mitral Valve Repair

No malpractice history found for New York.

• University of Mumbai Seth G S Medical College
    Medical School | Graduated 1993
  • King Edward Memorial Hospital
    Internship Hospital | Completed
  • King Edward Memorial Hospital
  • Toronto General Hospital
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

Dr. Bapat has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Bapat has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Bapat does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Bapat and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Bapat's Reviews

Be the first to leave a review

Dr. Bapat?

How was your experience with Dr. Bapat?

Compare Cardiac Surgeons

More Cardiac Surgeons like Dr. Bapat at Columbia University Medical Center Surgery

Show All Cardiac Surgeons