Dr. Vikas Chopra, MD

Dr. Vikas Chopra, MD

Ophthalmology  |
Dr. Vikas Chopra, MD is an ophthalmology doctor who practices in Pasadena, CA. He is 48 years old and has been practicing for 21 years. Read his story

625 S Fair Oaks Ave # 285

Pasadena, CA 91105

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of California

Learn about Dr. Chopra

See how frequently Dr. Chopra performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Glaucoma
Dry Eyes
Ocular Hypertension

Dr. Chopra's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Chopra's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Chopra "Vikas Chopra, M.D. is currently an Associate Professor of Clinical Ophthalmology and a full-time faculty member at the highly-ranked David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, as well as, the Associate Director of the Doheny Image Reading Center at the Doheny Eye Institute. He graduated from Pennsylvania State University's College of Medicine, and then finished a Residency in Ophthalmology where he served as Chief Resident, as well as, an additional Fellowship in Complex Cataract and Glaucoma at the prestigious Kresge Eye Institute of Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan. Before joining UCLA, Dr. Chopra served as the Associate Residency Program Director at USC, and was responsible for developing and executing the surgical skills transfer program to allow residents to achieve excellent surgical outcomes in a high-volume clinical environment. He continues to be intensively involved in resident ophthalmic education and is regularly invited to teach at surgery courses nationwide including the Harvard Medical School's annual Intensive Cataract Surgery course, and serves as the west-coast co-director of the Complementary Ophthalmic Residency Education (CORE) cataract surgery courses. Dr. Chopra's proudest accomplishments include receiving the numerous teaching awards given by USC ophthalmology residents during his tenure there. He had been awarded Resident Teaching Awards (2005-2006, 2006-2007, 2007-2008, 2009-2010). Since transitioning to UCLA, Dr. Chopra has received excellent evaluations for teaching 2nd, 3rd, & 4th-year medical students from David Geffen School of Medicine, as well as, ophthalmology residents at UCLA's Stein Eye Institute. Dr. Chopra has been performing small-incision cataract surgery and medical & surgical glaucoma subspecialty at the Doheny Eye Clinics for more than a decade. He uses the latest evidence-based medicine along with being an investigator in clinical trials like the Advanced Imaging for Glaucoma study to deliver excellence in care to his patients in a humanistic and engaging fashion. Dr. Chopra provides clinical expertise in diagnosis of glaucoma using the latest technological advances like OCT and HRT; and delivers excellent care in the medical and surgical treatment of glaucoma using the well-established laser treatments like selective laser trabeculoplasty (SLT), peripheral iridotomy (PI), and iridoplasty; utilizes time-honored surgical techniques of trabeculectomy and aqueous tube shunts, as well as, the newest minimally invasive glaucoma surgeries (MIGS) including ab-interno trabeculotomy, goniotomy with Kahook Dual Blade, EndoCylcoPhotocoagulation (ECP), iStent trabecular bypass stent, CyPass suprachoroidal shunt, and Trabectome among others. Dr. Chopra has published more than 60 peer-reviewed manuscripts, presented more than 50 abstracts at national meetings, and served as an invited lecturer at various local and national meetings. He has been named as one of Best Doctors in America, Super Doctors in Southern California, and Top Doctor in Pasadena. Happily married to his high-school sweetheart whom he has known for 30 years, Dr. Chopra enjoys hiking, biking, tennis, and traveling the world with his wife and 2 kids in pursuit of new adventures."

This content was provided by Dr. Chopra "The subspecialty ophthalmologists of the renowned UCLA Doheny Eye Centers, which has been consistently ranked nationally in the "Top 10" for two decades by U.S. News & World Report, has recently been ranked as the "Best Ophthalmology Program in the West" and "Top 5 overall" in nation.

For effective physician-to-physician communication, Dr. Chopra uses an advanced electronic medical records (EMR) system to keep referring physicians and the patient's primary care physicians involved and engaged in the care of their patients.

For excellence in patient care, Dr. Chopra is recognized nationally and internationally in the academic world for his clinical and research expertise.  He performs the most advanced ophthalmic surgeries using the latest generation equipment in an efficient and safe manner to achieve the best patient outcomes delivered in a humanistic fashion."

• Ophthalmology

• Shunts
  • Trabeculotomy Ab Externo
  • YAG Iridotomy
  • YAG Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty

No malpractice history found for California.

• Pennsylvania State University College Of Medicine
  • Kresge Eye Inst Wayne State University Sch Med
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2003
  • Beckman Inst Of The City Of Hope
    Other Education | Completed

Dr. Chopra has no media or publications listed.

• Chinese, Mandarin
  • Hindi

Dr. Chopra does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Chopra and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Chopra's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Chopra to family and friends
4.5
Dr. Chopra's Performance
Pasadena, CA |
Dr. Chopra has been my doctor to treat glacouma for the last ten years. Because he is so thorough as my eye surgeon and glacouma specialist, he helped me improve my eyesight and general comfort in both eyes. He’s not only knowledgeable and skillful, but also caring and patient. Each of his patients are important to him, so if he needs to devote extra time with one of them, he will.
Chino, CA |
Dr Chopra is very knowledgeable and spends time explaining heath information.
El Monte, CA |
Happy to recommend Dr. Chopra! Have been his patient for several years now, also had cataract surgery with Dr. Chopra---very happy with results. Dr. Chopra is very friendly, personable, easy to talk to.
in San Marino, CA |
Since June, Dr. Chopra removed cataract from both my eyes and implanted with intraocular lenses. I had a serious case of myopia for 50+ years, Dr. Chopra skillfully operated and ordered up the appropriate corrective lenses which resulted in me regaining 20/20 vision. He was methodical and easy to talk to. I initially suffered some instability in my eyes' recoveries, he carefully measured my progress and dialed up just the right medications to help the recovery along during each follow up check.
in Alhambra, CA |
Dr. Chopra has been treating my low tension open-angle glaucoma for almost five years. He is professional and courteous, very knowledgeable and skilled in this area. He would explain in details about my diseases, give me brief lectures on the diseases, tell me the options to keep my vision good and let me participate in my own treatment. He did cataract and glaucoma surgeries on my both eyes nine months ago with very good outcome. I will highly recommend him to my family and friends.
in Pasadena |
Dr. Chopra is a wonderful, caring and highly-skilled doctor. After several incorrect diagnoses, he correctly diagnosed my glaucoma and began treating it aggressively. I am deeply thankful to Dr. Chopra for helping to preserve my vision. He is the best!
in Glendale |
I recommend Dr. Chopra to everyone. My husband had cataract surgery by Dr. Chopra over 5 years ago and was so pleased that when it was time for my surgery in September 2017 I was more than happy to visit Dr. Chopra for my surgery. He is very professional, his office support are wonderful and very helpful. Good instructions are given before the surgery and explanation of what to expect are given. DR VIKAS CHOPRA IS THE BEST.
in Bakersfield, CA |
Would definitely recommend Dr. Chopra. I have been his patient for over 10 years and have received excellent care. He gave me his direct phone number in case I had urgent issues. The office is spacious, clean, and comfortable. The staff is friendly and courteous. I have complete trust in his care for me. He explains my situation clearly and listens to my questions. He answers my concerns without making me feel silly. I don't feel rushed and that he really cares about me. He is the best!
in Glendale, CA |
DR. CHOPRA IS VERY FAST VERY EFFICIENT AND DOES GREAT WORK, I HAVE HAD THREE DIFFERENT EYE SURGERIES FROM THIS DR. AND ALL WERE VERY FAST, PAINLESS AND SUCCESSFUL. I AM 80 YEARS OLD WITH 20\20 VISION.
Dr Chopra was so reassuring and professional. His work made such a difference as I was in danger of imminent narrow angle closure in both eyes and his treatment significantly reduced my risk for glaucoma.
I have been a patient of Dr. Chopras for many years. Our entire family trusts him; he treats both my parents and a sibling as well for both glaucoma related issues and cataracts. I would absolutely recommend him and the entire Doheny team.
in pasadena, ca |
I have been a patient of Dr. Chopra for over three years. He has been treating me for low pressure glaucoma. Recently he has done my cataract surgery. I have been so happy with the outcome of my cataract surgery. While Dr. Chopra is always professional and courteous, he is also very approachable, patient, and friendly. He is a very good listener and always answers any questions I have. I have also been impressed with his staff who are very helpful and seem genuinely happy to work in there.
in Arcadia, CA |
Dr. Chopra is a very competent, has good bedside manners, and very personable. He has done both Glaucoma and Cataract surgeries in both my eyes over the last 4 years,with good outcomes.
in Torrance, CA |
After much research on specialists I selected Dr. Chopra and I am glad I did. In addition to being educated and extremely skilled in his area of expertise, he is well informed and engaged in the latest research. He uses that information to further aid not only his patients, but to ophthalmology patients as a whole. He always takes time to answer my questions ands makes me feel at ease. There are many specialist in my immediate area, but I travel to Pasadena for Dr. Chopra; he is the best.
in Santa Clarita, CA |
Dr. Chopra was highly recommended to me and I first went to see him a few years ago because of serious concerns due to my glaucoma. He was professional, yet warm and caring. He took the time to explain my condition in detail and the best treatment for optimal eye health. He was my surgeon for two cataract surgeries, which were both highly successful and pain free! He is an amazing surgeon and an awesome individual and I highly recommend him for anyone with glaucoma issues. He's the best!
in Monrovia, CA |
I cannot say enough good things about Dr. Chopra, he's a real professional, kind and considerate . He always goes out of his way to explain my condition, provide updates and answers any and all questions that I may have. I have a the utmost confidence in the care I receive from him and have referred him to others.
in Duarte, CA |
Very good tech backup and tests They take the time necessary and Doctor has a very good (bedside manner) and answered my questions
in Alhambra, CA |
Dr Chopra and Doheny Eye Institute , now affiliated with UCLA, were a "God Send". My father had very quickly lost most of his eye sight to glaucoma by the time we finally found Dr. Chopra, although he couldn't restore the lost vision he went above and beyond to stave the progression and maintain what little sigh my father has left. Dr. Chopra is a very busy doctor and rightfully so, he is an expert in the field but we could always feel his genuine concern and passion. I would recommend Dr Chopra
in Duarte, CA |
I like that everything is explained, if I don't understand something, all I have to do is ask.
in Glendale, CA |
I recommend Dr. Vikas Chopra as the best Dr in Glaucoma Surgery. He cares and took time explaining non Invasive Glaucoma Surgery. During and after the surgery I felt no discomfort and my eye pressure is normal! J.Gauenti
in Rosemead, CA |
I felt down, depressed and without hope until I talked to Dr Vikas Chopra. Before the surgery He made me feel I was in good hands by explaining how minimal the touch for glaucoma surgery is. After the surgery and Dr Chopra's care, I have not needed another surgery. I have recommended Dr Vikas Chopra to my family and friends. I recommend Dr Vikas Chopra. Manuel T. G.
in Rosemead, CA |
In 2012 Both my eye pressure was 28 when Dr. Paulina Han (Chopra's College student) in Rosemead sent me to. "The Best Doctor in the Newer Minimally Invasive Glaucoma Surgery". Dr. Vikas Chopra. Post Surgery every six months Dr Chopra see me to monitor my eyes. Since my surgery my eye pressure have being Normal! I am thankful I found Han and Chopra they are so considerate and care for us human beings. I recommend with the bottom of my heart Dr. Vikas Chopra. Martha Robson.
in San Gabriel, CA |
has been his glaucoma patient for about 10 years. very impatient and does not like to answer any questions. Always in a rush and has little compassion for patient's needs. I am looking for another alternative and do not understand why he is with Doheney at all, Will write to his institution to fill my recent complaints.
in 91007 |
No time to ask questions or adjust to m concern. No bedside manner
Have you seen Dr. Vikas Chopra, MD?
Are you Dr. Chopra?