Dr. Vendie Hooks III, MD

Dr. Vendie Hooks III, MD

Colon & Rectal Surgery  ·
Dr. Vendie Hooks III, MD is a colon & rectal surgery specialist in Augusta, GA and has been practicing for 38 years. He graduated from Medical College Of Georgia-Augusta Ga in 1974 and specializes in colon & rectal surgery, gastroenterological surgery, and more.Read his story

1348 Walton Way Ste 6500

Augusta, GA 30901

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of Georgia
  • Golden Rule
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)

Learn about Dr. Hooks III

See how frequently Dr. Hooks III performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Colon and Rectal Surgery
Removal or Destruction of Rectal or Intestinal Tumor (incl. Colonoscopy, Proctosigmoidoscopy, Sigmoidoscopy and Control of Hemorrhage)
Anal or Rectal Pain

Dr. Hooks III's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Hooks III' bio

This content was provided by Dr. Hooks III "I knew that I wanted to be a doctor from the seventh grade on. I graduated from the University of Georgia in 1970 and then the Medical College of Georgia in 1974. I was attracted to gastrointestinal diseases and disorders even before I entered medical school. This likely was a result of my father almost bleeding to death from a stomach ulcer when I was a teenager. This interest was further intensified with my grandfather died from a bleeding ulcer when I was a freshman in medical school. I initially chose general surgery rather than gastroenterology because surgeons operated on patients with these problems rather than just treating them medically. After my residency in general surgery, I wanted to train even more and for that reason I did a gastrointestinal surgery fellowship at the University of Leeds (England) under Professor David Johnston who was doing ulcer surgery without the need for removing any of the stomach. However, he was also doing surgery for ulcerative colitis and familial adenomatous polyposis whereby the anal canal and anal sphincter muscles were preserved and patient did not require a permanent ileostomy. I became very interested in this and spent time at St. Marks Hospital in London (the birthplace of Colon and Rectal Surgery). I knew that I wanted to do a colon and rectal surgery fellowship when I returned back to the Medical College of Georgia in Augusta. I was on the full time faculty teaching at the Medical College of Georgia for 5 years after completion of the above, but did take a one year leave of absence and completed a colon and rectal surgery fellowship at the University of Minnesota. After returning to the Medical College of Georgia for a few years, I then decided that I wanted to go into private practice and I started the practice Colon and Rectal Surgery Associates, PC in Augusta. "

This content was provided by Dr. Hooks III "I strive to provide the kind of care that I would like to have. I am not the fastest when seeing patients but do strive to give each patient my undivided attention when I am with them. I adhere to the philosophy that most of the problems which occur after surgery can be prevented by how things are done during the patient's surgery. Attention to detail is upmost in my mind. "

• Colon & Rectal Surgery

• Colonoscopy With Polypectomy
  • Colonoscopy, Proctosigmoidoscopy, and Sigmoidoscopy
  • Colorectal Cancer Screening
  • Destruction of Anal Tumor
  • Enterostomy (Laparoscopic or Open)
  • Excision of Rectal Tumor
  • Fistulectomy or Fistulotomy, Anal
  • Gastroenterology Procedures
  • Hemorrhoidectomy or Excision of Anal Tags
  • Hernia Repair
  • Laparoscopic Surgical Procedure
  • Open Incisional and-or Ventral Hernia Repair
  • Proctectomy, Open or Laparoscopic (incl. Swenson and Duhamel Procedures)
  • Screening Colonoscopy
  • Sigmoidoscopy
  • Sphincterotomy
  • Therapeutic Colonoscopy

No malpractice history found for Georgia.

• University of Georgia
  • University Of Leeds-Leeds England
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1980
  • University Of Minnesota-Minneapolis Mn
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1983

Dr. Hooks III has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Hooks III does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Hooks III and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Hooks III' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Hooks III to family and friends

Dr. Hooks III' Performance

Dr. Hooks III Says:
"

I thank you for taking the time to complete the patient survey. If you are pleased with your care, I would hope that you would recommend us to others. If you are dissatisfied, I would hope that you will express this to us and allow us the opportunity to improve. Again thank you for your opinion.

"

Dr. Hooks is truly amazing. Super intelligent, great bedside manner, acclaimed surgeon, an he actually cares. When I saw the results and pics from my mom's procedure I almost passed out. I knew I was about to lose her. I've seen my own patients pass away from what appeared much less. A year later...more
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option0thumbs down icon option0
He did my surgery and was phenomenal. Great bedside manner. Thoughtful of his patients and what their concerns are. We live almost 5 hours away and it is well worth the drive for checkups now too!
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option0thumbs down icon option0
He's the best there is as far as colorectal evaluations and procedures!!!!
Was this helpful? thumbs up icon option1thumbs down icon option0