Minimally Invasive Orthopedic Spine Surgery  |
Dr. Uri Ahn, MD
I am a Korean American who was born in the United States, after my parents emigrated to the United States from Korea. My parents lived through the Korean War, and came to America, for a better future for myself and my brother. I am extremely proud to be an American and feel that we live in the best country on the planet. I grew up in Illinois outside of Chicago, where my father practiced primary care medicine. I went to public schools, and went to college in Baltimore Maryland at Johns Hopkins University. There, I graduated in 3 years and spent a year doing research at the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health. I was lucky to gain entrance to the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, and then trained at the Johns Hopkins Hospital Department of Orthopedic Surgery. I stayed at Johns Hopkins to undergo my specialty training in Spine Surgery with one of the most prominent surgeons in the history of spine surgery, Dr. John Kostuik. I met my wife, Kerri, while training in Baltimore. She grew up in Marshfield Mass, and wanted to return to New England. I joined Dr. Kleeman at NH Neurospine in 2000, and our practice included 3 doctors, including myself with less than 10 employees. Since then we have grown to an organization of 11 physicians and over 40 employees. I enjoy taking care of patients, and my success in pain resolution and function restoration as a surgeon has brought me joy in my career.

4 Hawthorne Dr Ste 3000

Bedford, NH 03110

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of Louisiana
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
  • Harvard Pilgrim Health Care
  • Tufts Health Plan

Learn about Dr. Ahn

See how frequently Dr. Ahn performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Chronic Neck Pain
Herniated Disc
Intervertebral Disc Disease
high

Dr. Ahn's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Ahn "I am an extremely conservative spine surgeon.  Because our practice at NH Neurospine offers conservative treatments such as Physical Therapy and Epidural Steroid Injections, our philosophy of reserving surgery as a last resort has been extremely effective in successfully treating patients with Spine pathology for over 20 years.  If surgery needs to be performed, our goal is maximizing success with an experienced surgeon, and compassionate PA's with a well coordinated team approach."

• Minimally Invasive Orthopedic Spine Surgery

• Coccygeal Pain
  • Hip Pointer Injuries
  • Hip Sprain
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Neck Strain (incl. Whiplash Injury)
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Osteoarthritis of Ankle and Foot
  • Pathological Spine Fracture
  • Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA)
  • Systemic Sclerosis

• Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Kyphoplasty, Percutaneous
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Neuroplasty
  • Spinal Compression Fracture Repair
  • Spinal Fusion
  • Spinal Reconstructive Surgery for Deformities

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for New Hampshire.

• Johns Hopkins University
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1989
  • Johns Hopkins University School Of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 1994
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1995
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1999
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2000

Dr. Ahn has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Ahn does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Ahn and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Ahn's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Ahn to family and friends
Dr. Ahn's Performance
in Manchester, NH |
Dr.Ahn has performed surgery on my back and neck for degenerative discs ..Because of his surgical skills I am now able to enjoy my retirement. He has been very supportive and caring. I would highly recommend him to anyone.
in Goffstown, NH |
Dr. Ahn is a professional in every sense of the word. He performed a 4 level laminectomy, L-1 to L-5 to relieve severe leg and lower back pain caused by severe spinal stenosis. It was a rather invasive surgery but Dr. Ahn's diagnosis, explanation of the surgery, the surgery itself, and the follow up have been nothing less than superb. I am writing this six weeks post op with physical therapy to begin this week and everything is going exactly as Dr. Ahn claimed it would go. I couldn't be happier.
in Bedford, NH |
This is my second time using Dr. Ahn for a surgical fushion. He has done a wonderful job on both surgeries. His mannerisms is professional and is always available when needed. Highly recommended.
in Amherst, NH |
Dr. Ahn was most caring about my problems with my spine. His surgical performance was expertly performed and led to my full recovery and I am now pain free. I would gladly refer him to anyone
in Manchester, NH |
I am presently recovering from TLIF surgery which was performed by Dr. Uri Ahn. Dr. Ahn is certainly in the right profession. There are no negative statements I can think of, everything happened as he said it would and lower back pain which I have been living with for many years has been eliminated. I am looking forward to my future sans back pain. Thank You Dr. Ahn
Bedford, NH |
When I first felt the pain and spasms that struck my hip and lower back, I believed it would result in either using pain pills or surgery. Dr. Ahn reviewed my condition and recommended physical therapy. It's been 10 weeks of therapy and there's not been a trace of discomfort. I continue on the exercises and remain pain free.
I had been suffering from chronic back pain for months. I had an MRI which showed the disc between my L4 and L5 severely protruding. Dr. Ahn was very compassionate and explained my options. Cortisone shots/Physical Therapy/Surgery. Although I attempted to resolve my problems through PT, surgery was the way to go. The immediate relief I experienced was amazing. Dr. Ahn did a wonderful job. He and his staff are very kind and supported me through my healing process.
Milford, NH |
Dr. Ahn goes over and above for his patients and gives the best care. I was blessed to have him as my surgeon.
in Manchester, NH |
2 years ago , I had 2 herniated disc in my neck. When I saw Dr Ahn, he explained in detailed what to expect after my surgery. After the surgery I regained full motion of my neck,arm and hand.Today I had a visit with him again after being in a car accident. He was caring and compassionate as he was 2 years ago!
in Nah |
Dr. Ahn is fantastic and has help me greatly! I've dealt with chronic back pain for as long as I can remember. And in the last 7 years or so, especially in my lower back. Been in and out of PT 5 or so times trying to find relief. One appt w dr ahn and I was on my way to feeling less pain and I could have imagined. I have a herniated Disc L5-S1 that was discovered when dr ahn approved an MRI for me. He had me get and injection in my spine. I had immediate results! Like night and day!
in Madison nh |
Hello, I am a 57 year old male and In June 2017 Dr. Uri Ahn preformed a Laminectomy and Discectomy due to a back injury causing a pinched sciatica and I was unable to preform my normal duties at work. After a clear and informative consultation and review of my MRI Dr. Ahn and I decided surgery was my best option. The surgery went amazingly well and I was pain free and up and walking and after a couple of weeks and I was cleared to start physical therapy. I feel better now than I have in years
Boston, MA |
After years of avoiding back surgery, I knew I had to do something. After some research, Dr. Ahn met my criteria. He recommended surgery and explained his rationale, which resonated with me. I had a list of questions, which he addressed professionally, patiently & completely. He calm demeanor put me at ease. He did not pressure me. Surgery was performed 2 weeks ago and it was the best decision I could have made. No more pain! I wholeheartedly recommend Dr. Ahn for anyone with spinal issues.
in New Ipswich, NH |
This was the first time visiting Dr. Ahn and could not be happier with the results. You get a great appreciation for nerve and back pain when its your turn experiencing it. Dr. Ahn and his staff couldn't be anymore professional or accommodating in speeding up my surgery and recovery. Thank you.
in Wilton, NH 03086 |
Dr. Ahn first operated on my daughter's emergency spine operation. He was so skilled and compassionate that when I needed a spine surgeon for myself due to an injury at work Dr. Ahn was the first one I thought about. Dr. Ahn and his team were there for me through the entire process. His physician assistants are all knowledgeable and kind. It was important to me to have the facts and kindness. I did need someone to reassure me and hold my hand. Outstanding experience with this doctor!
in Mont Vernon, NH |
I had a great experience. Everything that Dr. Ahn promised, he delivered. Yes, I will be recommending Dr. Ahn.
in Salem, NH |
Dr. Ahn and his staff provided excellent care and treatment during a time when just surviving the pain is an effort. He expedited the process to get me relief as soon as possible.
manchester |
Did a great job. Had severe leg pain which went away immediately after surgery. very personable and great bedside manner. I would recommend him to anyone with a back problem.
Milford, NH |
Dr Ahn is an amazing surgeon and physician! He performed a laminectomy (L4/L5) on me in 2011 and I could not be happier with his services! I have sent family and friends to him since and they all rave about how thorough and wonderful he is. He takes the time to explain everything in easy to understand terms. He also takes the least invasive approach possible, which is hard to find in a surgeon! Go see him and he will get you back to your best!
OMG YES I RECOMMEND HIM TO EVERONE !!! He's help me so much in these past 17 months. He's not cut happy. I've only had 2 shots on the side of my neck in 17 months - SUCH big difference from those past Dr's and pain clinics were I was getting shots monthly for 3 months that did nothing. I got my life back ! THANKYOU SO MUCH !!!!!
in Sandown, NH |
Dr. Uri Ahn is the only surgeon I will ever trust with my spine!!!! I have now had 3 spine surgeries with Dr. Ahn since 2010. most recent l5-s1 only 2 weeks ago (walking 3+ miles/day). Dr. Ahn got me back to living each time my discs decided to betray me. Each time he was compassionate and sensitive to the pain, discomfort and life altering condition that I was experiencing. Each time he took the time to answer my questions and make me feel like a like a true priority. RecommendedX100!!!!!
in Hooksett, NH |
I had a great experience with Dr. Ahn. I liked the fact that he was not in a rush to perform surgery and only recommended it when my back issues had gotten worse. He explained all my options clearly and once the decision for surgery was made, he walked me through what to expect. The surgery and post surgery activities were successful and I am back doing all the things I was able to do previously.
in Dunbarton, NH |
My Mom and I were in on April 14 . Dr. Ahn explained everything to us thoroughly on the x -ray saying that surgery in this case with everything else and at her age would kill her. She is 89. One thing I have to say about Dr. Ahn is he is very honest and up front with his patients and in this case surgery is not an option. Not the outcome we were expected and shocked. But at least we know what we are dealing with. My husband also had back surgery by Dr. Ahn and highly recommends him.
in Nashua, NH |
I suffered little over a year with constant nerve pain weakness and numbness from my back to my arm. After finally getting an MRI instead of treating my symptoms I found Dr. Aun. He told me I had 2 herniated discs and told me he could fix the issue with confidence. He fused 2 levels on my spine. It's now been 3 months and I can say he gave me another chance at a normal pain free life. His staff was helpful and informative and their physical therapy team were great for getting me back into shape.
in Litchfield NH |
Dr. Ahn was great right from the beginning. He tells you all you options and what the future would hold for you with whatever direction you decided to go in. My option was to go with surgery and I was provied all information about the surgery and rehabilitation to follow. I am happy to say that I am pain free and the surgery was a complete success. I would recommend Dr. Ahn to anyone looking to free themselves of pain they may be suffering. Thank you Dr Ahn.
in Allenstown NH |
Dr. Ahn was caring and compassionate. He did my back surgery and it went great. This was my second surgery on a different disc and it went much smoother than the first with a different surgeon. I would recommend him and absolutely use him again if I needed anything further.
Bedford, NH |
Dr Uri Ahn recently performed a two-level lumbar laminectomy (L4-5 /L5-S1) on me. I am very satisfied with his work and will refer my friends and family there. If ever needed, I will go back to him immediately without going through all the massages, injections and Prednison.
in Auburn, NH |
I truly can't give a high enough review for Dr. Ahn. The testing to diagnose my numbness as a herniated disk and get me scheduled for surgery (even helping get it cleared with the insurance company) was above and beyond any of my expectations. I consider myself fortunate beyond belief to have stumble upon Dr. Ahn. I wish I could rate 6 stars because my experience justifies it. I would without question use him again if health needs dictate and give him my highest recommendation. A++.
in Weare, NH |
Dr. Ahn is the MAN to see if you are having spinal issues. He was very caring and covered all possible solutions in detail with both pros and cons presented. We worked on many possibilities before he took excellent care of me through a tough surgery. I am now pain free after spending the last year in constant pain. Dr. Ahn is a doctor who truly cares about his patients and is very gifted! I highly recommend he and his staff for anyone needing spinal help. Thanks so much, Larry Drysdale!
in Manchester, NH |
Dr. Ahn was extremely caring and very willing to answer all my questions prior to and after my ACDF surgery. The surgery could not have gone any better. I am feeling great and getting back to my normal routines. Dr. Ahn is a very trustworthy doctor who will give you all the facts to review when making the decision to have surgery.
in Bedford, NH |
I brought my mother to see Dr. Ahn on two occasions to review her progress after a back injury. While customer service check in was pleasant and the nurses were also pleasant it just couldn’t make up for what I felt like extremely poor customer service by Dr. Ahn. At the first visit he reviewed my mother’s x-rays. After reviewing those x-rays he mentioned that the bone was healing but because of the state of her bone health that she would be always be in pain. While that is true, I am alwa
in Manchester, NH |
Excellent doctor/ surgeon ! Very compassionate , takes the time to explain the procedure he will be doing . He takes the time to answer all your questions. Highly recommended !!
in Derry, NH |
Dr. Ahn scheduled me immediately for an urgent surgery on one of his office days. He operated on me successfully with very good results. The whole experience could not have been better.
in Stratham, NH |
I was diagnosed with severe stenosis. I found it difficult to stand in line at the supermarket, walk the dog and even take a shower. A doctor friend recommended Dr. Uri Ahn. In August, 2016 I had the operation that resulted in a laminectomy and and fusion. I was in Catholic Medical Center for two nights. Immediately after the operation I felt no need to take ANY pain medication; not even ibuprofen. I followed Dr. Ahn's and physical therapy's instructions. Thank you Dr. Ahn!
in Londonderry, NH |
I met with Dr. Ahn for a herniated disk. After giving me my choices, I opted for the surgery. Using my MRI, Dr. Ahn explained the details of the surgery. Everything went well, and just as Dr. Ahn predicted. All of my questions were answered in a professional, and easy to understand, manner. I would recommend Dr. Ahn for any back surgery. I liked him very much. He is professional, polite and easy to talk to.
in Manchester, NH |
Dr Ahn has been my surgeon twice over the course of four years (my discs are degenerative) and has been a god-send. I would trust no one else with my spinal health at this point. He is professional yet personable and is truely patient-centered. My last surgery required a quick response and Dr Ahn and his staff were wonderful! I was able to go from my PCP to surgery in a month and a day- and thank goodness as my nerve damage was progressing quickly. I would HIGHLY recommend Dr Ahn!
in Windham, NH |
wonderful caring person. I would trust him with my life.
in Manchester, NH |
I have great respect and admiration for Dr. Uri Ahn, a highly skilled, compassionate, caring, and gentle physician. When I underwent a spinal fusion, I did not have any concerns about the prognosis because I had complete confidence in Dr. Ahn's ability to heal me. Dr. Ahn has an outstanding and caring manner that puts his patients at ease when dealing with very freightening situations. I felt at ease from my first consultation, through the surgery, post surgical care, and full recovery. My hero.
in Berlin, N>H> 03570 |
I received surgery two years ago on a bad surgery on my back. Dr. Ahn did a preliminary consult and said he thought he could fix it. It was a long and enduring surgery but he got it done. For the first time in 10 years I have no pain. Would highly recommend a second opinion from Dr. Ahn.
in Rindge<NH |
Dr. Ahn did my back surgery. I have no pain and have returned to all my daily functions. This is amazing considering I was at a point I could not walk. I would highly recommend Dr. Ahn and the Bedford office.
in Manchester, NH |
DR. Ahn was up front with me from the start,he gave me treatment options for my problem and gave me his honest and professional opinion.he didn't drag things out and got me well in a short amount of time.i highly recomend his services to anyone in need.
in Manchester, NH |
I found Dr. Ahn to be calm, professional & very competent. He has a relaxed personality, is a good listener, and has a ready smile. Dr. Ahn performed a complicated surgery on my back in July of 2016. This surgery consisted of a laminectomy, laminatomy & fusion of two vertebra. I am very satisfied with my pre-op workup & the actual surgery he performed and his post-op care. I am now experiencing virtually no leg nor back pain. Others I have spoken with hold Dr. Ahn in similar high regard.
in Sandown, NH |
I had the best outcome from my spine surgery with Dr. Ahn. Dr. Ahn and his complete staff are professional, extremely easy to talk to and always tell you exactly how it is.
in Dover, NH |
Dr. Uri Ahn in my opinion is the best orthopedic surgeon in the New England area. I suffered with back pain for more than thirty years. I have had years of Physical Therapy, shots and various treatments. My options were doing nothing or surgery. I chose the surgery and couldn't be happier. Dr. Ahn gave me my life back and I will always be eternally grateful.
in Goffstown, NH |
Dr. Ahn suggested alternatives to surgery. He didn't suggest surgery as the only alternative - it was the last thing he said we should do. He recommended trying shots first. So far the shot has worked. I've been pleased with his directness and thorough knowledge of my problem.
in Milford NH |
Office very effecient, on time and courteous. Dr Ahn took time necessary to explain my diagnosis and options open to me for treatment. He is gentile informative and open to discussion.
in Bedford, NH |
Friendly atmosphere @NH Nuerospine. Dr. Ahn is a highly qualified physician in my opinion. I had 2 vertebrae out of alignment with spinal stenosis. My left leg was constantly numb, but it hurt trying to sleep at night. This was in addition to the constant back ache. Now 3 1/2 months after surgery I am doing excellent. Off all pain meds for the last 6 weeks, and back to work for the last 5 weeks. I'm very satisfied. My wife had similar surgery by Dr. Ahn 6 years ago and is still doing great.
in Seabrook N |
Dr. Ahn is the only Doctor who offered the possibility of a Laminectomy. I had been taking Steroid injections for pain in both legs. the Injections stopped working. I took the opportunity of his recommendation for this surgery. The pain in my legs has ceased to exist. I am looking forward to PT to regain strength and go on pain free!
in Berlin, NH |
First he is in the health net for Veterans. On the first visit he saw how much pain I was in and immediately set up a date for surgery the next week. I was very happy that he took the time to explained every thing about the surgery and what was wrong with my back and leg. I was very satisfied and Dr. Ahn and his staff were very through and caring.
in Goffstown, NH 03045 |
Very professional, easy to understand, talks to & shows diagrams so people can understand. Great bedside manner & a good sense of humor. Makes you feel very comfortable. After many visits, not sure if I really wanted to go through with surgery, I became almost to the point where I couldn't walk. Dr. Ahn did my surgery May of 2016 & I now feel like a million bucks. No more back pain & I'm walking like I never had a problem. Thank Dr. Ahn & staff.
in Hooksett, NH |
Referred to Dr Ahn from my PCP when I loss mobility and use of my left arm with neck pain due to a pinched nerve. Surgery wasn't something I wanted to consider. Dr Ahn was very thorough in his evaluation of my issue and helped me explore other options, including Physical Therapy. Being an active person, Dr Ahn explained why I needed to be restricted in my activities to heal, so I would regain mobility and allow my body to return to full physical health. I am back to full use of my left arm.
Have you seen Dr. Uri Ahn, MD?
Are you Dr. Ahn?