Dr. Umaprasanna Karnam, MD

GastroenterologyMaleAge 52

Gastroenterology

Dr. Umaprasanna Karnam, MD is a Gastroenterology Specialist in Riverton, UT and has over 29 years of experience in the medical field. Dr. Karnam has extensive experience in Esophageal Disorders and Gastrointestinal Disorders. He graduated from DR M.G.R. MEDICAL UNIVERSITY / MADRAS MEDICAL COLLEGE in 1993. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as American Fork Hospital and Intermountain Medical Center. His office accepts new patients and telehealth appointments.

Dr. Umaprasanna Karnam, MD

Wellness Ctr Gut&Liver Health

1543 W 12600 S Ste 102 Riverton, UT 84065
Telehealth services available

Telehealth services available

Compare with other Gastroenterology Specialists

Compare Dr. Karnam with our nearby Gastroenterology Specialists at Mayo.

Filter by
Provider Ratings

These providers are on the medical staff of Mayo.

Dr. Karnam's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Karnam

4.1

Great doctor
Outstanding doctor and caring individual! I can’t say enough about his caring for me and my family. Always ready to jump in!
Sep 23, 2022
Brilliant & Compassionate Doctor
I have had the privilege of working with many of the nation's best physicians at multiple health science centers and universities over more than three decades and none has surpassed Dr. Karnam. He is exceptionally responsive to patient concerns and uses science-based evidence guided by more than 29 years of practice experience to find the best solutions. He works effectively and proactively with other practitioners involved in providing care so that all are "on the same page" with the plan for treatment. He personally checks with my wife and me to monitor our progress and shows incredible compassion for our situations and health challenges. The quality of care he provides is incredible. He has earned our trust!! Dr. BH
Dr BH – Jul 28, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Umaprasanna Karnam, MD?
In 2019, my husband became very ill with kidney failure. After several weeks of dialysis in our home state of Idaho, my son and I transported him to IMC's emergency room in SLC, Utah because it was evident to us that even though he was supposed to be preparing for a kidney transplant, he was dying. After being seen by several doctors in SLC, they took him off the transplant list because he couldn't eat and was losing so much weight. We were devastated but were finally blessed to find Dr. Karnam. this amazing man assured us he would save my husband and worked tirelessly to do so. It took time, but Dr. Karnam was only ever a phone call away day or night. He cared personally for us and showed love and concern in every way. My husband owes his life to him and my gratitude is eternal for his gift. He is an exceptional doctor in every way.
Jane S – Jan 04, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Umaprasanna Karnam, MD?
Dr. Karnam saved my life. I was waiting for a kidney transplant and my stomach shut down. I had lost 85 lbs and was not going to live much longer. My son found Dr. Karnam and I went to his office and the first time I met him I asked him if he could save my life. He told me he would, and he did. After a few weeks he got my stomach working and after 3 or 4 months I was able to get my kidney transplant. I am alive today because of Dr. Karnam and his great care. He is a tremendous doctor. I owe everything to this great man.
Curtis S. – Jan 04, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Umaprasanna Karnam, MD?
Stop wasting your time with other doctors and RUN to Dr. Karnam. He is the BEST, most caring doctor you will EVER find. In a world full of doctors that only treat you as simply another patient, Dr. Karnam takes time to find the true problems and cares about you far beyond the exam room. His nickname of the Gut Whisperer fits him to a T. He has turned from being just our GI doctor to a lifelong family friend who we trust our very lives with. We will continue to refer our friends and family to Dr. Karnam. Our family will be forever grateful to this wonderful man.
Justin Stoddard – Jan 04, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Umaprasanna Karnam, MD?
This Dr. Is a total joke ...if your trying to find answers about your gut from the so called gut whisperer this guy couldn't even find a phone in a phone booth let alone solve your gut problem. ..plus very hard to understand his broken English
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Oct 13, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Umaprasanna Karnam, MD?
Dr. Karnam I just want to thank you for all you have done for me over the decades! You have been such a very great doctor. If 10 STARS were available I would give you all 10. **NOTE** If you as a future patient are looking for an amazing doctor you have found the right one!!
C. Causer – Aug 05, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Umaprasanna Karnam, MD?
I have been seeing Dr. Karnam for over five years. Not only is he an excellent doctor, he is a true care provider. He always shows complete focus and dedication to his patients. He is interested in total well being and consults with your other doctors when there might be overlap in care. I highly recommend the Gut Whisperer!
Mar 17, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Umaprasanna Karnam, MD?
Dr. Karnam has absolutely been God sent, an angel in disguise. He listens, cares and remembers. I'm truly grateful for his kindness and compassion. I saw a doctor at IHC Kearns and IHC Riverton. They both failed to do the right diagnosis. The latter left me with septicemia and a huge lab bill from California. I was very nervous and hesitant to go to any doctor after such ordeals. I'm so glad that my friend recommended Dr. Karnam. He is amazing, simply the best! Thank you doc.
Teena S. – Mar 08, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Umaprasanna Karnam, MD?
Dr. Karnam is amazing! It does not matter when I see him. A day could have passed or two years, and he always remembers me! I know I can call him anytime and he will answer my call right away. He is kind, compassionate and his knowledge is incredible. I highly recommend Dr. Karnam!
Wendy – Oct 23, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Umaprasanna Karnam, MD?
He is amazing! He saved me! I went to the ER for unexplained abdominal pain. He performed an upper and lower GI test. He educated me on my condition and gave me medications to remedy the situation. Two years later I was having an acute attack of diverticulitis. He made time in his day to see me at his clinic and prescribed a STAT CT Scan. He prescribed antibiotics immediately. He even called me in person to follow up on my at home care. He is accurate, compassionate, and makes time for his patients. He listens.
Rhonda – Oct 13, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Umaprasanna Karnam, MD?
Dr. Karnum and his staff are fantastic! Dr. Karnum is thorough, personable, and definitely goes the extra mile to ensure that my questions and concerns are resolved. Highly recommend!
Jul 24, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Umaprasanna Karnam, MD?
Our family is eternally grateful for Dr. Karnam. We arrived at Dr. Karnam’s office in dire need of a miracle. Our father was awaiting a kidney transplant but had become so ill and wasn’t able to eat or drink for quite some time and had lost close to 90 lbs. Dr. Karnam was so compassionate. He took the time to listen and understand our frustrations. Frankly, we had run out of hope. Dad asked, “can you help me?” He said, “I will make you better!” That one sentence gave dad hope and a will to keep fighting. At each appointment Dr. Karnam made us feel like dad was his only patient and like nothing else in the world mattered to him other than making him well. Dr. Karnam was able to find the causes of the stomach troubles and soon had dad back to eating normal food again and gaining weight back. Fast forward a few months and dad has his new kidney. Guess who came to visit at the hospital? Dr Karnam! He will forever be a part of our family. RUN to Dr Karnam. He is the absolute BEST doctor.
Nov 14, 2019
Excellent Dr. Very Professional
Sokia in Taylorsville, UT – Jun 24, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Umaprasanna Karnam, MD?
Unfortunately throughout my life I have seen many doctors. Dr. Karnam is one of those Doctors that are hard to find. He genuinely cares about my health and well-being. He has gone above and beyond in trying to help me. He is very knowledgeable, respectable, kind, caring, and oh my gosh I could go on. Wish there were more doctors like Dr. Karnam. Thank you
Apr 08, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Umaprasanna Karnam, MD?
I have been a patient of Dr Karnam's for over 10 years. Chrohns can make life a day to day hell, but Dr Karnam has always been there to support me. Keeping track of my symptoms, following up after hours to see how I am doing. And if a new issue is developing, always willing to move quick without taking any shortcuts to insure we have the right treatment. Always personable and relate-able, you are in the right hands for a GI Doctor with Dr Karnam.
Mar 22, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Umaprasanna Karnam, MD?
I would never recommend this doctor to anyone. We have seem him twice once for our daughter and second for my husband. THIS DOCTOR HAS A I DON'T GIVE F*** ATTITUDE AND DOES NOT GIVE A F*** ABOUT YOU!! HE JUST WANTS YOUR MONEY AND GIVES YOU NO ANSWERS...Do not go to this Doctor.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Herriman – Mar 05, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Umaprasanna Karnam, MD?
It's been my experience that many doctor's only will look at what is of concern to them and their field but due to Dr. Karnam's sincere concern and care for his patients he saved my life by spotting a lymph node on a CT scan in another area that he doesn't handle. His knowledge and how he cares for his patients is outstanding. I have total confidence in him and will be forever grateful. He always makes himself accessible if you need him.
Tina K. in American Fork – Feb 19, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Umaprasanna Karnam, MD?
He is very dedicated and concerned for his patients. He is always there when any of my familyneeds to get in to see him.
Sharla Trotter in Orem, UT – Jan 19, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Umaprasanna Karnam, MD?
Generally, I am very healthy and do not often see a doctor other than for annual checkups. I recently turned 50 and I knew I should get a colonoscopy. I was quite nervous for this procedure. A friend recommended that I see Dr Karnam. I accepted the recommendation and am glad I did. Dr Karnam explained the procedure in a way that eased my nerves. I will continue to see Dr Karnam and recommend him to my friends and family.
Dec 30, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Umaprasanna Karnam, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Karnam?