Dr. Tom Thomas, MD

Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery | Male

Compassionate cancer care that is rooted in evidence based medicine

Comprehensive head and neck cancer care

Dr. Thomas' Experience

See how Dr. Thomas' experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Thomas

Dr. Thomas accepts 19 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Thomas has admitting privileges.

Dr. Thomas' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Thomas to family and friends
Dr. Thomas' Performance
in Cranston, RI |
As a post transplant (mini allogeneic, unrelated, mismatched donor) patient, I have unfortunately had many surgeries. Dr. Thomas has performed a sentinel node biopsy, a lip resection/reconstruction, as well as a tumor resection on my tongue. All outcomes have significantly exceeded expectations. Not only has Dr. Thomas been outstanding in a field of many great surgeons, but has a personality that most surgeons lack. I would highly recommend Dr. Thomas and would travel great distance to see him.
in New Bedford, MA |
He's a great guy. You feel comfortable with him right away. Even in the uncomfortable reality of having cancer, he makes you fell comfortable. I've come to see that at every appointment there is a long wait to see him, but I value his guidance and support. It's worth the wait.
in Worcester, MA |
I saw Dr. Thomas for tongue cancer. He did an excellent job preparing me for the process, performing the surgery and with follow up appointments. He did a great job and I would recommend him without hesitation.
in Cohoes, ny |
Dr. Thomas is a TOP NOTCH surgeon/physician. I was referred to him by my dr from Albany NY. I had a rare sinus tumor that was cancer he removed. Dr. Thomas took the time to review everything. He did the surgery 12/17 was released from the hospital 12/19. The procedure he did was performed at 100%. I have been to see him for follow ups and every visit was professional and comforting. I trust Dr. Thomas with my life and would recommend him to my family and friends. Elizabeth Cohoes,NY
in Fitchburg, MA |
Dr Thomas helped me through a very difficult time after I was diagnosed with Salivary Gland Cancer. I had crippling anxiety each time I saw him and his kindness, patience and level of knowledge made my visits with him bearable. He assured me that I was going to get through this health crisis and I did. I would recommend this doctor to anyone who faced with a diagnosis of Head or Neck Cancer.
in Boston MA |
Dr. Thomas is a first class, top-notch surgeon and physician. I went for a 2nd opinion for my tongue cancer. Not only did he grant me sufficient conservative margin but he removed “the bridge” but taking out 47 nodes out of my neck granting me an extra insurance policy. Not only am I 100% cancer free there are virtually no signs of ever being operated on. Dr. Thomas treated “the total body care” and kept my wife and kids constantly informed of the status and explained all procedures on the way.
in Weymouth, MA |
Dr. Thomas was highly recommended by my original surgeon for a second opinion for tongue cancer. Dr. Thomas spent time explaining everything to me and my family in a calm and professional manner. I was very nervous about the surgery, but Dr. Thomas put my mind at ease and did an amazing job on my tongue reconstruction. I feel he was the best surgeon for this procedure and for any further surgery that I might need. I would without question recommend Dr. Thomas.
in Ogunquit, ME |
I would like to give the utmost praise to Dr. Thomas and his team. I was referred to Dr. Thomas by my doctor in Maine who wanted my surgery to be performed by someone with more specialization and expertise in the field. Dr. Thomas performed a surgery for a squamous cell carcinoma on my neck area and today I am happily cancer free. I would recommend Dr. Thomas to anyone in need.
in Easthampton, MA |
I highly recommend Dr. Tom Thomas! I saw Dr. Thomas to remove an adenoid cystic carcinoma cancer tumor in my right buccal oropharynx area. The tumor was about 2 centimeters in its largest dimension, and had some spreading that was not seen on the MRI pictures. Dr. Thomas removed the mass and obtained clean margins. My surgical experience could not have been better. I was completely comfortable at all times, pre and post surgery. Dr. Thomas treated me like an individual; I trust him fully.
in Boston, MA |
Dr. Thomas was the surgeon I saw when I had to have surgery for thyroid cancer. Truly one of the best doctors I've ever had. I would recommend him without hesitation.
in Lowell, MA |
Dr. Thomas provided exceptionally great care before, during, and after surgery and I will forever be grateful. Thanks to Dr. Thomas my wife and I are living a normal life and once again looking forward to the future. Dr. Thomas's straightforward approach mixed with a sense of humor and compassion lessened our anxiety and made my surgery and subsequent treatment plan doable. Also, the much less invasive T.O.R.S surgery he performed left me with barely a visible scar which is a true testament to
in Bellingham, MA |
I was referred to Dr. Thomas after a nodule was found in my neck. Dr. Thomas and staff welcomed me into his practice with care, support, and respect. After further testing done by Dr. Thomas I was diagnosed with cancer lesion on my tongue and lymph nodes in my neck. I needed surgery to remove the lesion and several lymph nodes. The surgery Dr. Thomas preformed was done robotically. Dr. Thomas made me feel at ease, and was always there for support. He has excellent bedside manner.
in Holyoke, MA |
After trying to find a doctor in my area to perform my surgery, I was lucky enough to be referred to Dr Thomas. Dr Thomas adjusted his schedule to get me into surgery, asap. He was very thorough explaining everything to us. I had cancer of the larynx which involved a few lymph nodes. In July 2015, Dr Thomas performed a total laryngectomy. Dr. Thomas and his team were very caring & supportive. Dr Thomas is professional, friendly & easy to talk to. I would highly recommend him to anyone.
in Saugus, MA |
Dr. Thomas is a very skilled and highly competent surgeon and I would recommend him without question. Not only is he very educated and skilled in his craft, but he has the gift of human compassion and understanding and knows how to make a patient feel safe. I went to him at Dana Farber Cancer Institute because of cancer of the tongue and despite the very frightening circumstances he made me feel protected and cared for. This combination of intelligence, skill and compassion are rare.
in Brooklyn, NY |
Dr. Thomas performed a neck dissection on me three years ago to remove a cancerous lymph node and rule out any spread. Though I have a lengthy scar, it is virtually invisible . Then and in every follow up visit, I have found him to be caring and interested in my life, as well as being tops in his field. The only reason I didn't mark "excellent " in trusting his decisions is that I have an innate distrust of western medicine itself---but it's often necessary.
in Northborough , MA |
Dr. Thomas was able to do a particularly difficult surgery involving removal of cancer from my throat, tongue and tonsils and also from my neck. He even went so far as to check close to 50 node samples from my neck to assure me I was cancer free and could avoid radiation and chemotherapy. Aside from his outstanding professional expertise, Dr. Thomas also provided my wife and me with the most personal attention and caring I could have ever asked for. He is our doctor, our angel & our friend.
in Nashua, NH |
From the moment my wife and I met Dr. Thomas, we knew we would be in good hands. His knowledge and experience with my type of cancer was comforting. He was direct but compassionate and just wanted to take care of my situation as soon as possible. I am happy to say that I am doing great and we know that it is all because of Dr. Thomas' incredible skill and care.
in North Kingstown, RI |
From the minute I met Dr Thomas, I knew I was in "Great" hands. He performed a thorough exam and informed me of the type of thyroid cancer I had and how to treat it. At the end of our appointment, Dr. Thomas asked me if there was anyone I wanted him to call to explain my thyroid cancer. It showed care and compassion. My cancer type was aggressive and he operated on me within 2 weeks. I am feeling great and barely a scar can be seen!! I look forward to my annual check-ups and his smile!
in Norwood, MA |
Dr Thomas saved my life. I have no doubt that without his superior medical and surgical expertise I would not have survived my bout with cancer. Not only is he a FABULOUS doctor he is also a warm and caring human being. I have come to regard him as a friend and his presence will be sorely missed in Boston. If I ever need his expertise again, I will travel as far as I must to be under the care of such a wonderful and compassionate man.
in Walpole, MA |
Dr. Thomas is the best. I had thyroid cancer that needed to be removed so he performed a complete thyroidectomy and right lymphnodes were to go as well as a result of a spread. He explained the process very clearly and never once did I feel concerned with him as my surgeon. I felt completely comfortable and confident that I was in the right hands. I highly recommend him and his team and I owe him my life for saving it.
in Medford, MA |
Dr. Thomas performed my laryngectomy in 2012. Prior to my surgery he and his staff went over details of the surgery to answer any question I and my wife had. A member of the staff met with my children to answer their questions. They recommended that I attend a Laryngectomy Support Group. I was very anxious, as I was about to have a life-altering procedure done; It was very helpful to meeting other people with laryngectomies. I can not recommend Dr. Thomas highly enough! He is the best.
in Northborough, MA |
I highly recommend Dr Thomas and his team of professionals. Dr Thomas has a wonderful bedside manner and makes sure you and your family understand everything he is explaining about your health. My wife and I both felt extremely confident in and totally relaxed with Dr Thomas.
in Abington, Mass |
Dr. Thomas: I had a Thyroid malignancy, which was removed three years ago. There is no scar what so ever. I would say I am free of cancer after three years mark. Thanks Dr.T.Thomas, not only, you are exceptionally talented in your expertise, but super person as well. By the way, all your team members were excellent throughout
in Boston, MA |
I've enjoyed seeing Dr. Thomas for 3 years now for my follow up visits at Dana Farber Cancer institute. He was the surgeon who removed my Parotid gland and some lymph nodes in my neck. A very challenging surgery that could have resulted in many serious complications. People barely notice my incision since it healed 3 years ago.Since Day 1 Dr. Thomas has been a pleasure to deal with. He helped put me and my family at ease. He answered questions throughly and explained things in detail.
in Milford, MA |
Being a patient of Dr. Tom Thomas has been and is a pleasant, positive, and very informative experience. I was diagnosed with throat cancer which started on my right tonsil and metastasized to the lymph nodes on that side of my neck. Dr. Thomas surgically removed my right tonsil and those lymph nodes. The surgery was a great success and after chemotherapy and radiation the cancer was successfully defeated. I would definitely recommend Dr. Thomas as a physician to my family and or friends.
in Satellite Beach, FL |
Dr. Thomas was amazing! He has fantastic bedside manner with his honesty and charisma. I felt I was in good hands from the 1st appointment with Dr Thomas. He only reinforced that with every step through my cancer treatment and surgery. Couldn't have asked for better treatment
in Burlington, MA |
I had a rare form of head/neck carcinoma which was treated abroad. After I relocated to MA, I decided to visit Brigham & Women's & met Dr. Thomas. He's quick to identify its recurrence & operated on it along with skin grafting. I not only recovered within a week but also didn't need any pain killers post surgery. Doctors associated with Brigham have a class of their own, but what sets him apart is the confidence that he instills in his patients and the relationships that he builds with them.
in Venice, Fl |
I was diagnosed in early March 2016 with invasive squamous cell carcinoma on the right side of my tongue. I was so happy that my primary physician had me see Dr Thomas--he, his staff, and everyone at Dana Farber and BW were fabulous
in Taunton, Ma |
I was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma of the mouth in late December 2015. I was referred to Dr. Thomas by another physician at BWH. Dr. Thomas' office reached out to me with an appointment to see him before I had even returned home. All testing was set up promptly and conveniently and my surgery took place on 1/21/16. Dr. Thomas and his entire team took fantastic care of me. My calls and emails are returned promptly. I remain under Dr. Thomas care. I grateful to the entire Team.
in North Andover, MA |
I had stage 1 cancer of the lip. Dr. Thomas performed surgery to remove the cancerous lesion on my lip. He did a very good job. Unless people come right up to my face and look directly at my lip, they can't tell that I had surgery on my lip. It looks natural. I would recommend Dr. Thomas to all my family and friends. He knows what he's doing and is very experienced in his particular field. I am very satisfied with the results.
in Boston, MA |
I was referred to Dr. Thomas as he is an expert in operating on the type of carcinoma I had. The surgery required a portion of my jaw to be removed, which was very traumatic. The surgery was successful and the interaction through all phases of the process was manageable because the Doctor and his staff were positive, supportive and available to answer all questions. In addition, the care team is also concerned with my overall health. I would recommend Dr. Thomas to family and friends.
in Orleans, MA |
I went to Dana Farber/Dr. Thomas for a second opinion for nasal vestibular cancer and thank God I did! Dr. Thomas is kind, professional and tells it like it is. He was able to surgically remove the cancer and reconstruct my nose at the same time with a skin graft from my shoulder and cartilage from my ear (who knew-we have spare parts?!). The pain after surgery was minimal, the cosmetic result is wonderful and the medical prognosis is as well. I highly recommend Dr. Thomas!
in ANSONIA, CT |
I decided to go to Dr. Thomas for a second opinion because I needed a total thyroidectomy. Needless to say it was the best decision I've made. Dr. Thomas was so thorough from day1with my consultation visit, very compassionate of how scared I was before surgery, reassuring me that my scar will be minor, and had a great sense of humor. His staff was also very caring, checked up on me after surgery, and always made sure you felt comfortable.Best 2.5hrs drive I've ever taken. I barely have a scar :)
in Gardner, MA |
I would recommend Dr. Thomas without hesitation. I was sent to Dr. Thomas when it was learned I had Stage 3 metastatic thyroid cancer. My initial meeting with Dr. Thomas provided me ample time to discuss my options, view where the cancer was located, and what would he would need to do in my surgery. I have complete trust in his ability and skill as a surgeon. Dr. Thomas is a very caring and understanding person. I just love Dr. Thomas and his smile.
in Somerville, MA |
Dr. Thomas was a second opinion Dr. for me. And thank the lord I was setup with Dr. Thomas. I have never met a Dr. that would answer all my questions, completely compassionate, and follows up on his own time to check on me. I would recommend Dr. Thomas to everyone I know. His knowledge and bedside manner is worth every penny of my co pays. The best overall Dr. I have ever had. Thank you Dr. Thomas if you see this.
in Westfield, MA |
Dr. Thomas is a brilliant, caring doctor who treated me for thyroid cancer and chronic sinusitis. He treats the patient not just the illness and I have always felt very secure with him as my doctor. He is kind and compassionate.
in Nashua, NH |
When I found out I had throat cancer, the oncologist in my home town recommended I look for treatment (specifically surgery) in Boston. I researched several of the major hospitals and staff. During my first meeting with Dr.Thomas at Dana Farber, I knew he was the right one. His knowledge, experience, demeanor and thorough evaluation all played a part in my decision. I trusted him with my life and he proved me right ? I am cancer free! I would highly recommend him to everyone in my situation.
in Newton Center, MA |
Dr. Thomas is a kind hearted, amazing surgeon that put patient as his first priority! Dr. Thomas had performed a L neck dissection on me. Knowing my medical situation, he was able to expedite my surgery by re-arranging his schedule. Because of his superb skilled hand, I had a speedy recovery and the wound healed beautifully. I am forever thankful to Dr. Thomas in saving my life. Highly recommend Dr. Thomas as he is a top-notch surgeon who is patient centered and caring!
in Wareham, MA |
I saw Dr. Thomas for a second opinion, and he figured out I had cancer. He gave me my Laryngectomy operation. I would recommend him to my family and friends.
in Malden, MA |
I consulted Dr. Thomas early this year for severe nasal obstruction. CT findings revealed nasal spur and chonca bullosa. Later on, Dr. Thomas performed septoplasty and inferior turbinectomy to correct the condition. I found Dr. Thomas very sensitive to my needs. Based on my pre- and post-operative experience with Dr. Thomas I would give him a straight 5 star rating, and would recommend him without reservation to my near and dear ones who have similar or related nasal condition.
in Quincy, MA |
Dr. Thomas is very kind and caring. I have the greatest trust in him. Wonderful Doctor!!!!
in Marblehead, MA |
I had surgery with another doctor, who then advised that I had a sarcoma cancer that he was unable to operate on and recommended that I have radiation therapy, as the surgery for him was not possible. I consulted with Dr. Thomas, who told me that he could do the surgery, which he did quite successfully. He is a kind, compassionate, and caring man. Generous in giving his time as the patient requires.
in Brookline, MA |
I had a parotid gland tumor diagnosed by another physician who told me it was cancer. I knew enough that the pathology reports spoke to a tumor finding but not cancer. I was lucky enough to get into Dr. Thomas, who said he could not say it was NOT cancer but he could not say it WAS until he took it out. Luckily it was not. The care, the surgery and the follow was amazing. My scar which was big enough to flip the side of my face open to get it out is not evident. He is amazing.
in Shrewsbury, MA |
My experience with Dr. Thomas was very positive. His accessibility and support pre and post surgery was exemplary.
in Boston, MA |
I had my first appointment with Dr. Thomas back in 2011. He is an Entotolaryngologist. The reason for seeing Dr.Thomas was the development of an invasive white patch on my tongue. This white patch was Diagnosed by Dr. Thomas as Leukoplakia. The Dr. Informed what this was to my husband and I. Surgery was scheduled and it is known as a Glossectomy. I currently see Dr. Thomas for follow up appts. Dr. Thomas is Pleasant, Caring, and a BriIliant Dr. and Surgeon. I Highly Recommend him!!
in Chichester, NH |
Diagnosis: cancer of a tonsil, migrated into two lymph nodes. Dr. Thomas at DFCI was recommended by my ENT doctor. I met with Dr. Thomas who confirmed the diagnosis and what the treatment would entail. Dr. Thomas was thorough, professional and compassionate. He has a great smile and exudes confidence. It is not misplaced pride or arrogance but outstanding bed-side manner. My wife an I were impressed with Dr. Thomas then and even more NOW after surgery. HIGHLY RECOMMEND DR. THOMAS AND DFCI.
in Boston, MA |
I met Dr. Thomas after my diagnosis of Glotus-Laranyx Cancer in 2012. He was very straight forward explaining the procedure that he would perform and how it would be a life changing experience but not a life ending experience. He not only gave me the assurance that he could remove all the cancer but I could continue my life afterwards. This is a doctor that doesn?t believe in giving false hope either. He went over everything that my operation would entail and after he was done, he told me to
in Narragansett, RI |
My journey with Dr Thomas has been wonderful! He has been compassionate, kind, caring and informative on each step of my surgery and recovery. Once the surgery was schedule I was comfortable and had the greatest confidence to trust my life with him. My oral squamous cell cancer of the cheek was long, intense and required 3 surgeries in 1 to complete the removal and reconstruction of my cheek. The results of the reconstruction are amazing and I am cancer free today thanks to Dr. Thomas.
in Fort Mill, SC |
Dr. Thomas is extremely approachable, straightforward, and is always open to answering all of my questions. It was immediately clear that he was an expert in the field and I knew right away that he was the surgeon I wanted to tackle my oral squamous cell carcinoma. In July '15 he performed a left inferior maxillectomy and left neck dissection. Because of his skilled hand, I'm happy to report that I healed beautifully and am now cancer free. I would very highly recommend Dr. Thomas & his team.
in Rochester, MA |
Dr. Thomas is second to none, he is a caring doctor who listens, gives you the time you need, very cooperative, kind, sincere, intelligent, who's priority is the patient. He has characteristics that no other doctor possesses. When I am in the presence of Dr. Thomas I feel I am healed, I feel comfortable and someone that I can trust my life with when it comes to the medical service and knowledge he provides to his patients.
Have you seen Dr. Tom Thomas, MD?
Are you Dr. Thomas?

Compare Dr. Thomas

Comprehensive head and neck cancer care

Dr. Thomas' Care Philosophy

Compassionate cancer care that is rooted in evidence based medicine

Dr. Thomas says...

Head and Neck Cancers ( oral cavity, oropharynx: Tonsil, base of tongue, larynx)

Anterior skull base tumors,

Skin malignancies (melanoma, basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma),

Salivary gland malignancies,

Thyroid malignancies,

Parathyroid malignancies

Head and Neck Cancer Surgery and reconstruction

TransOral robotic surgery (TORS)

Conservation laryngeal surgery

Anterior skull base tumors

Transoral laser microsurgery (TLM)

Dr. Thomas' experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
  •  Board certified in Plastic Surgery within the Head & Neck

Dr. Thomas has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for Massachusetts.

Why It Matters: Dr. Thomas' Board Certifications

• Chronic Tonsillitis
  • Conductive Hearing Loss
  • Cough
  • Deviated Septum
  • Drooping Eyelids (Ptosis)
  • Dysphagia
  • Eyelid Disorders
  • Gum Cancer
  • Head and Neck Cancer
  • Head or Neck Lump or Swelling
  • Hoarse Voice (Dysphonia)
  • Laryngeal Cancer
  • Sinusitis
  • Sjögren's Syndrome
  • Soft Tissue Sarcoma
  • Soft Tissue Sarcoma of Head, Face, and Neck
  • Throat Cancer (Hypopharyngeal)
  • Throat Cancer (Nasopharyngeal)
  • Throat Cancer (Oropharyngeal)
  • Throat Pain

Washington University In St Louis School of Medicine

Completed in 2010

Hospital University of Pennsylvania

Completed in 2011

Dr. Thomas does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Thomas and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
  • Ear, Nose, and Throat
  • Head and Neck Endocrine Surgery
  • Otolaryngic Skull Base Surgery
  • Sinus Surgery
  • Sleep Medicine Otolaryngology

• Ablation or Excision of Nasal Turbinates
  • Adenoidectomy
  • Antrostomy and Antrotomy (Sinus Surgery)
  • Caldwell-Luc Procedure
  • Cervical Lymph Node Dissection
  • Dacryocystorhinostomy
  • Diagnostic Nasal and-or Sinus Endoscopy
  • EMG (Electromyography)
  • ENT Surgery
  • Ethmoidectomy (Sinus Surgery)
  • Excision of Parotid, Sublingual, or Submandibular Gland
  • Laryngoscopy and Laryngotomy
  • Lip, Excision or Resection
  • Lymph Node Biopsy or Excision
  • Lymphadenectomy With Robotic Assistance
  • Nasal Septum Surgery (Septoplasty)
  • Nose Plastic Surgery (Rhinoplasty)
  • Sinus Surgery
  • Sphenoidectomy (Sinus Surgery)
  • Sphenoidotomy (Sinus Surgery)
  • Tear Duct Surgery