Orthopedic Surgery  |
Dr. Todd Ulmer, MD
Dr. Todd Ulmer, MD is an orthopedic surgery doctor who practices in Portland, OR. He is 57 years old and has been practicing for 27 years. Dr. Ulmer is affiliated with Adventist Medical Center, Legacy Meridian Park Medical Center and Providence Portland Medical Center.

10101 SE Main St Ste 3008

• PacificSource
  • Providence Health Plans
  • Worker's Compensation

Learn about Dr. Ulmer

Dr. Ulmer is an orthopedic surgeon with a primary interest in the treatment of disorders of the knee and shoulder, and has undertaken fellowship training in sports medicine. His goal is to offer quality medical care to injured athletes, from the recreational to elite level. He seeks also to offer the same level of care for virtually all knee and shoulder injuries or degenerative conditions resulting from an accident or work related event. His primary sub-specialty interest is in arthroscopic surgery, knee and shoulder reconstruction and joint replacement, as well as treatment for most sports related fractures and trauma. His goal is to help patients achieve the earliest possible return to full function through education, prescription or therapeutic exercise, and appropriate surgical intervention when indicated.

Dr. Ulmer's Experience

Dr. Ulmer's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

• Chondrocalcinosis
  • Clavicle Fracture
  • De Quervain's Disease
  • Elbow Sprain
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Femur Fracture
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Sprain

• Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

1 Malpractice Claim
  • Settlement : 3/23/2011
    Amount or Range: $400,000.00
    Nature of Complaint: Claim bilateral pain pump catheters were known to cause chondrolysis degeneration or cartilage damage when placed in the intra-articular spaces of the shoulder after arthroscopic surgery. Claim failure to warn or advise of the risk. Injury claimed is permanent loss of cartilage in both shoulders with loss of mobility and function.

• Stanford University
    Medical School | Graduated 1990
  • University Of California San Francisco
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1991
  • University Of California San Francisco
  • University Of Washington
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

Dr. Ulmer has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Ulmer has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Ulmer does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Ulmer and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Ulmer's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Ulmer to family and friends
Dr. Ulmer's Performance
in Hillsboro, OR |
I would definitely recommend Dr. Ulmer. He is very knowledgeable, kind, empathetic and professional He spent over an hour with me at my initial appointment, explaining to me what needed to be done to my shoulder, going over test result and answering every single question I had. I always felt comfortable and trusted his recommendations. I am so happy with my results! I actually found him by reading other reviews and contacted his office based off the excellent ratings he had by other patients!
in Portland, OR |
He has shown real concern for me and how I am doing. He is very encouraging. I would recommend him to anyone.
Portland, OR |
I have not met nor been clinically evaluated by Dr. Ulmer. Today, I called their office to gather information for the insurance plans they accept, clinical specialties and appointment specifics. I didn't get past JANICE. She was curt and impolite. A medical provider's skill may be excellent, but a patient's first contact is with the provider's office staff. A big thumbs down to Dr. Todd Ulmer's office.
in Gresham,Or |
Dr. Uler and his staff administer exceptional and professional medical care. As a team they are everything you could expect and hope for,I will gladly and confidently refer Dr. Ulmer to all I know. Yes I would highly recommend Dr.Ulmer to family and friends.
No complaints here!
Dr. Ulmer, and his staff, are all very good at putting you at ease, especially when you are not feeling well already. I felt he took his time, listening to me, and my concerns; and offered his opinion for treatment options. He also went above and beyond, when addressing (and treating) a different issue when i was in the office for a different reason. He is very soft spoken and kind, and i would highly recommend him!
in Portland, OR |
I found Dr. Ulmer and his staff to be exceptional and very personalized. I appreciated the time spent in explaining what was going on with me and what to expect. I felt he and his staff all had excellent knowledge in their areas of expertise. Plus they are simply kind and nice people. I would HIGHLY recommend them!
in Happy Valley, OR |
I've been seeing him regarding my knee after a not so good experience with another orthopedist. I've been very happy with his care. He has taken the time to answer all my questions. Order X-rays as needed and I've just finished my 3rd shot of Hyaluronic Acid. This is a temporary solution to a longer term problem but I hope to play golf over the summer and have my partial knee replacement at the start of winter. Good bedside manner and very likable guy too!
Portland, OR |
Excellent. Dr. Ulmer has operated on family members in the past, all shared about his quality of care and excellent surgical skills. I am thankful that I was referred to Dr. Ulmer. I am thankful for his care yesterday and look forward to his continued care going forward.
in Gresham, OR |
Dr. Ulmer performed a four hour surgery to repair injuries on my right shoulder on September 15, 2016. I am now 12 weeks post op and am very happy with the outcome of the surgery. I am well on the road to recovery. Thank you Dr. Ulmer and staff!
in Happy Valley, OR |
After sustaining a work injury that tore shoulder ligaments and severely tore an elbow/forearm tendon, the insurance IME wanted to rehab me with PT and then disable me. Dr. Ulmer came very highly recommended by my Occupational Physicians. Dr. Ulmer was my crusader with the insurance company and through further testing/imaging it was discovered that I had also detached an upper bicep tendon. Dr. Ulmer is a master surgeon and I have full range of motion and am back to work without restrictions.
in Portland, OR |
I was so impressed with Dr. Ulmer's attention to detail - I felt like he was very clear on what was going on with MY broken bone, not just shoving me through a process. He was great about explaining everything he saw, encouraging me to trust myself and my physical therapist. Eric is awesome and very easy to talk to. I was impressed with the whole office experience - very friendly and very efficient.
in Portland, OR |
my wife was relating to her obgyn that i had ongoing pain in my right arm and neck. Her doc said i know just the guy for your husband. He specializes in shoulders and is great. Well he was right. First he had my neck MRI'd to eliminate that as a source and then the shoulder. One of the four shoulder muscles had torn loose. the clincher: the rehab guy was shocked post surgery by my mobility and lack of pain. He said it was proof of dr ulmers skill and that his patients have a pattern of this.
in Portland, OR |
I felt like an idiot for breaking my wrist falling on ice when i should have had the sense to stay inside. Dr. Ulmer made me feel better by assuring me that what i did was very common , and that it would heal just fine.
in Portland, OR |
Dr. Ulmer is a wonderful surgeon! I'm thrilled with my rotator cuff repair. His office staff is great. The only reason I didn't rate 5 stars for Staff friendliness and courteousness is that his Physician's Assistant called me young lady so many times that I finally asked him to stop. I am 69 years old and feel it's condescending to address a senior as you would a child. He held my file and could easily have glanced down to see my name.
Portland, OR |
I truly believe Dr. Ulmer's approach to orthopedics helped accelerate my recovery. Him and his staff are friendly, informative, professional and provide a great office experience. When I had a scare after hours, his convenient emergency line addressed my worries and Dr. Ulmer promptly called me back to talk through my concerns on a Friday night. I felt he was honest and trustworthy throughout my experience. I have already recommended his services to multiple people and will continue to do so.
in Portland, Oregon |
Dr. Ulmer is extremely patient and engaged. He takes time to explain everything and gives options to his patients. He worked with me throughout my recovery and helped me achieve a good outcome.
in Portland, OR |
Dr Ulmer did an amazing job on my right shoulder. He started with arthoscopic surgery to relieve impingement issues but had to change the plan when he discovered a torn rotator cuff. His surgery exceeded my expectations by a wide margin. I have total range of motion without pain. Before the surgery I was taking 9 advil a day just to tame the discomfort. I don't take any advil now.
Have you seen Dr. Todd Ulmer, MD?
Are you Dr. Ulmer?