Dr. Thomas Winkler, MD

Ear, Nose, and ThroatMaleAge 62

Dr. Thomas Winkler, MD is a Otolaryngology (Ear, Nose & Throat) Specialist in Chevy Chase, MD and has over 34 years of experience in the medical field. Dr. Winkler has more experience with Sleep Apnea, Otologic Conditions & Procedures, and Upper Respiratory Conditions than other specialists in his area. He graduated from Georgetown U, School of Medicine medical school in 1987. He is affiliated with medical facilities Medstar Georgetown University Hospital and Sibley Memorial Hospital. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Winkler to book an appointment.

Chevy Chase ENT Associates LLC

5530 Wisconsin Ave Ste 1500 Chevy Chase, MD 20815

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Otolaryngology (Ear, Nose & Throat) Specialists in your area

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    Outstanding Patient Experience Award™ See hospitals
  • Hospital Satisfaction

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Maryland

Frequently Treated by Dr. Winkler

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Winkler treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Winkler treats other conditions, please contact the office at (301) 656-8630.

Sleep Apnea

Sleep-disordered breathing specialists diagnose and treat conditions, such as snoring or obstructive sleep apnea, in which breathing is interrupted during sleep, resulting in symptoms of fatigue, irritability and high blood pressure.Compare with other Sleep Apnea specialists.

Dr. Winkler is experienced in the area of Sleep Apnea. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 2 conditions and procedures

Sleep Apnea

Otologic Conditions & Procedures

Otolgic care is s subspecialty of otolaryngology (ear, nose and throat) that focuses on symptoms and conditions of the ear, including hearing loss, tinnitus, dizziness and infections.Compare with other Otologic Conditions & Procedures specialists.

Dr. Winkler is experienced in the area of Otologic Conditions & Procedures. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 20 conditions and procedures

Deafness
Conductive Hearing Loss
Tinnitus
Vertigo

Upper Respiratory Conditions

Upper respiratory specialists diagnose and treat conditions such as infections, sinusitis, allergic rhinitis, and whooping cough (pertussis) that affect the upper part of the respiratory system, including the nasal passages, larynx, and lungs.Compare with other Upper Respiratory Conditions specialists.

Dr. Winkler is experienced in the area of Upper Respiratory Conditions. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 23 conditions and procedures

• Acute Laryngitis
  • Acute Sinusitis
  • Adenoidectomy
  • Allergic Rhinitis
  • Antrostomy and Antrotomy (Sinus Surgery)
  • Broken Nose
  • Ear Tube Placement
  • Earwax Buildup
  • Enlarged Turbinates
  • ENT Cancer
  • Ethmoidectomy (Sinus Surgery)
  • Eustachian Tube Dysfunction
  • Excision of Parotid, Sublingual, or Submandibular Gland
  • Facial Fracture
  • Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
  • Geographic Tongue
  • Head or Neck Lump or Swelling
  • Hoarse Voice (Dysphonia)
  • Intranasal or Sinus Procedure
  • Laryngeal Cancer
  • Laryngitis
  • Loss of Smell and-or Taste
  • Lymph Node Biopsy or Excision
  • Malignant Otitis Externa
  • Nasal Polyp
  • Nasal Septum Surgery (Septoplasty)
  • Nosebleed
  • Salivary Gland Stones and Inflammation
  • Sinusitis
  • Sleep Study
  • Swimmer's Ear
  • Throat Cancer (Nasopharyngeal)
  • Throat Pain

Dr. Winkler accepts

Dr. Winkler's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Winkler

Dr. Winkler?
  • Explained conditions well (55)
  • Listened & answered questions (55)
  • Staff friendliness (55)
  • Didn't explain conditions well (1)
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions (1)
  • Staff wasn't friendly (1)
Dr. Winkler is a wonderful doctor. he conducted a bilateral endoscopic sinus surgery on me. He explained very well what to expect during and after the procedure. Everything went well he followed up with me. I highly recommend him.
Karina M – Mar 24, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Winkler, MD?
Dr. Winkler is a wonderful doctor. Not only is he obviously a knowledgeable and highly experienced ENT expert, but he is also consistently kind, thoughtful and caring. I came to him with a severely deviated septum and other issues that had cause years of impaired breathing. He, answered all my questions, never made me feel rushed during appointments, and explained clearly my condition, the surgery needed to fix, and what I should expect during recovery. I was really impressed with how he did not pressure me to have the surgery, but very clearly wanted me to make the decision only when I was comfortable with it. The surgery went extremely well and was straightforward; the recovery was exactly as he had described – and not particularly uncomfortable. He was quick to respond when I reached to him with recovery questions immediately after the operations. I am breathing freely for the first time in years!
Feb 17, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Winkler, MD?
Dr. Winkler treated my polyps in an outstanding way. He first explained my options and encouraged but did not push me to go ahead with sinus surgery. He prepared me well, did a great job on the surgery, and provided sound post-surgery actions. The surgery and recovery were not overly difficult for me, allowing me to work on the computer the day after surgery. Today, I am free of polyps and can thank Dr. Winkler for this achievement. I give Dr. Winkler my highest recommendation.
Bobby – Jan 27, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Winkler, MD?
Dr Winkler is the BEST doctor I have ever worked with. Incredibly knowledgeable, approachable, a superb communicator, cares deeply about the well-being of his patients, and is honest, transparent, a practical. I had a complex set of ENT surgical procedures after years of problems with my sinuses, chronic sinus infections, snoring, inability to breathe through my nose, etc. and Dr Winkler has resolved them where other doctors proved unable to. He never pushed or prodded me to do anything, but when I asked for his honest opinion about courses of treatment he was open. Ultimately, getting the surgery was absolutely my choice, a fully-informed one, and the correct one. The recovery was brutal (as he told me it would be), but he helped me every step of the way and went above and beyond to provide care at every step. His staff are incredible professionals and humans as well.
Jan 19, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Winkler, MD?
Dr. Winkler performed a tonsillectomy on me and it went incredibly well, I’m very glad I had the procedure done and that Dr. Winkler did it. Dr. Winkler cares about you as a patient and helps with the recovery process as well.
Jul 26, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Winkler, MD?
Severe ear wax build up. Almost total loss of hearing. The Doctor was careful and explained the procedures. Asked several times during the procedure whether I was OK. Was treated respectfully and professionally. Was out the door in 45 minutes hearing again.
Kevin – Nov 01, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Winkler, MD?
We had an outstanding experience with Dr. Winkler, involving a surgical procedure for my teenage son. Dr. Winkler explained the issue and the solution clearly and then made special efforts (through his excellent and personable assistant Wanda) to schedule the procedure so that it would not interfere with school. After the procedure, Dr. Winkler checked in with us regularly, even over a weekend, to make sure the recovery was going well and to answer any questions we had.
Sep 03, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Winkler, MD?
I had a great experience with Dr. Winkler. I had a nasal septal reconstruction and Dr. Winkler was very thorough in explaining the details of the surgery. I requested the surgery with short notice and Dr. Winkler was able to set up the surgery within two days. Dr. Winkler was also very attentive in my recovery process communicating with me through text to make sure I was doing well. Surgery was quick with minimal pain afterwards. I am very satisfied with Dr. Winkler's work and I highly recommend.
Aug 30, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Winkler, MD?
I saw Dr. Winkler for the first time today. He was recommended to me by my internist. Not only was I able to get an appointment on the same day that I called (it was an urgent matter to me), but Wanda, who made my appointment, set aside extra time for a hearing test with one of the audiologists . . . just in case. Dr. Winkler is an excellent listener and explains things very well. Maria, the audiologist, is professional and kind. I highly recommend this practice.
Bethesda – Feb 27, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Winkler, MD?
One of the best and most understanding doctor I ever had.
Rockville – Feb 24, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Winkler, MD?
I has a turbonet reduction and my deviated septum repaired. Dr. Winkler explained the surgery and told me that with a 7:30 am time, I'd be home by about noon--and I was home before that! I was afraid of surgery and he took extra time drawing diagrams and going over the timeline in great detail. I was so surprised that after a week I could breathe so much better, and was back to walking and most activities. After a month, I was on a plane to Florida, and onto a cruise.
Cynthia in Arlington, VA – Aug 02, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Winkler, MD?
Who is an ideal doctor? One who cares about your personal-individual health as much as you do, and who has the skills and knowledge to help you get healthy regardless of where you start. Dr Winkler is such a doctor. He listens well, grasps all the nuances of your unique medical situation, explains the treatment plan clearly, & follows through. I just saw him for what I hope is my last appointment (I feel cured!), but part of me will miss having a chance to experience such excellence in medicine.
L in Washington – Jul 14, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Winkler, MD?
Dr. Winkler gave our family outstanding surgical and post-operative care. His medical care and the level of communication with our family was extraordinary. Coming from Canada, we have never before experienced this level of care and communication from a surgeon and the team. He followed up with our family on our children's recovery in every possible way: in person; by phone; and, by text to check in with us regularly and answer any follow up questions.
Jun 14, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Winkler, MD?
Dr. Winkler is extremely nice and competent. He made me comfortable from the initial visit all the way through the surgery follow-up. The surgery went extremely well and the recovery was easy. Both Dr. Winkler and his staff are extremely professional and courteous. He has my highest recommendation.
Apr 15, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Winkler, MD?
Dr Winkler was reassuring, attentive, respectful and kind. He always patiently listened to what I had to say and gave me a thorough medical explanation - something which I greatly appreciate being generally a bit of skeptic of doctors and a bit of a hypochondriac. I had a deviated nose septum surgery and it's literally been a breath of fresh air ever since. Definitely recommend!
Nov 09, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Winkler, MD?
Dr. Winkler - Here is my surgery feedback as requested. I did put this on the Vitals website cited in your 28 Aug 17 e-mail. However, I did not see that the "Submit" button actually transmitted my information or did anything. After discussing with your office, I decided to e-mail my feedback as follows hoping that it will be useful: " " My experience with thyroid gland removal surgery by Dr. Thomas P. Winkler was entirely excellent. Upon referral, Dr. Winkler recommended such surgery due t
Temple Hills – Oct 20, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Winkler, MD?
I was unhappy and reluctant to go ahead when I learned that I needed surgery on the inside of my nose, but thanks to Dr. Winkler, I went ahead with the procedure. He was reassuring and very patient with me throughout the process. He explained everything carefully and thoroughly and was consistently pleasant. Most important, he did an excellent job. My breathing and other symptoms are much improved. I think he is an excellent doctor and recommend him without reservation.
Washington, DC – Sep 20, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Winkler, MD?
Dr. Winkler receives our highest recommendation after performing a tonsillectomy on our 15 year old daughter in August. After 10 days it was almost as though she had never had the surgery! His access to a private surgery center to perform this type of operation made all the difference, and his staff were so kind and genuine. With his calm demeanor, true compassion, and uncanny attention to detail, Dr. Winkler truely reflects what a specialty physician should be. Dr. Winkler is the best ENT!
Olney, MD – Sep 18, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Winkler, MD?
We brought our 5-year-old daughter to see Dr. Winkler, who performed an adenoidectomy on her. He was kind, patient, and extremely conscientious. We knew from the get-go that he would be excellent with this procedure, and his professionalism and dedication were second-to-none. He was even kind enough to email two nervous parents the night before our daughter's surgery, and to call us from his cellphone the evening after her surgery to see how she is doing. Thank you, Dr. Winkler.
Daniel in Bethesda, MD – Sep 03, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Winkler, MD?
Dr. Winkler is very caring and very professional, as is the entire staff. He makes one feel confident about his diagnosis and answers all your questions and concerns. And he's available after the appointment if there is any concern. He returned my call at night and also checked-in on me on the weekend to make sure all was well. I highly recommend Dr. Winkler.
Robb Austin in Warrenton, VA – May 04, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Winkler, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Winkler?

• Ear, Nose, and Throat