Dr. Thomas Shane, MD

Ophthalmology | Male

Dr. Thomas Shane, MD
Providing the best retinal care while ensuring the highest quality patient experience is our guiding philosophy. The staff at Retina Care Consultants has training and values consistent with this mission. Dr. Shane is proud to serve the Bradenton and Sarasota communities. Having grown up in Milwaukee, he feels at home with the Midwestern culture that permeates throughout Southwest Florida. After receiving his Bachelor of Science degree from Emory University, Dr. Shane attended the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, where he graduated at the top of his class. Dr. Shane went on to do his residency at the prestigious Bascom Palmer Eye Institute in Miami, which is ranked as the #1 ophthalmology program in the United States by U.S. News and World Report. During his residency, his research efforts led him to an award for Outstanding Achievement in Resident Research from the Florida Society of Ophthalmology. Following residency, Dr. Shane continued at Bascom Palmer Eye Institute for a two-year vitreoretinal surgical fellowship. During this time, Dr. Shane trained with some of the most admired vitreoretinal surgeons in the country. There, he performed vitreoretinal surgical procedures using the most advanced techniques and equipment available. During his second year of fellowship, Dr. Shane served as Chief Resident and Director of the Ocular Trauma Service at Bascom Palmer. Dr. Shane is Board Certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology. He is an active member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology and American Society of Retina Specialists. He is credentialed at Sarasota Memorial Hospital. As the founder of Retina Care Consultants, Dr. Shane promises to treat every patient with compassion and respect. He is devoted to being accessible to his patients for all of their questions and concerns. Importantly, he is committed to bringing the most modern and effective methods to treating any retinal condition. Dr. Shane lives in Bradenton with his wife and two children. In his free time, Dr. Shane enjoys athletic pursuits, drawing on his youthful devotion to swimming and soccer. True to his Wisconsin roots, he loves to grill bratwurst and is a Green Bay Packers fan.

Dr. Shane's Care Philosophy

We are ophthalmologists who are specialty trained to take care of all of your retinal care needs. Our commitment is to providing the very best treatments for your retinal condition while ensuring that you have a smooth and comfortable patient experience. Our highly competent and trained staff is ready to assist you during your visit. Walk-ins are welcome. You may reach our office at 941-351-1200 for any questions or to schedule an appointment.

Dr. Shane's Experience

See how Dr. Shane's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Shane

Dr. Shane accepts 1 insurance carrier

Dr. Shane is now accepting new patients
Retina Care Consultants, PA2401 University Pkwy Ste 205
Sarasota, FL 34243
Evening
Saturday
(941) 351-1200Get Directions

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Shane has admitting privileges.

Dr. Shane's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Shane to family and friends
Dr. Shane's Performance
in Sarasota, FL |
Comfortable offices, competent and caring staff, and a doctor with fine bedside manner. The nurses understood my aversion to holding my eyes open for drops, and powered through it for me, which took a load off my mind. Dr. Shane talked my family and I through my symptoms, and gave very solid, satisfying answers when we had questions. Excellent experience overall.
Sarasota, FL |
When first referred to Dr. Shane I called their office to confirm insurance coverage for the procedure. I was called back a little while later by their insurance coordinator. Nothing special except for that was her day off and she called me from home! The day before my appointment I received a call to remind and confirm by Dr. Shane himself. The staff was attentive and friendly without any problems. All was explained clearly at my appointment with no time delays or long wait.
in Bradenton, FL |
I am very satisfied with the professional service i received from Dr. Shane. It was my first visit to this office. Staff was thorough and helpful.
in Venice, FL |
I was looking for a retina specialist after my doctor moved away. I have had multiple detached retinas and retina tears so finding a great doctor was extremely important. I was very pleased with my first visit. The staff were great and Dr Shane very thorough and caring.
in Bradenton, FL |
The thought of eye surgery really scared me but Dr Shane's quiet and confident manner put me at ease and I was able to go through with it. It has been about 25 days since the surgery and my vision is is getting better all the time!
in Sarasota, FL |
I am a snowbird that was having an issue with an ocular bleed and needed a retina specialist to follow up with my treatment from up north in Boston. I received an appointment immediately and was very impressed with Dr Shane. I was definitely taken by surprise when Dr Shane called me back after I set up my appt. with the front office. HE introduced himself, asked if I had any questions before my appt. the following day and looked forward to meeting me. Top notch experience from all in the office!
in Sarasota, FL |
Was able to schedule easily, greeted promptly and was very happy with the overall experience. As a new resident of Sarasota I was happy to find such an efficient office.
Bradenton, FL |
I was very impressed with his patience and answering all my questions. He clarified my concerns about my condition and thoroughly explained some things for me. I left his office satisfied with him.
in Schoolcraft, MI |
I was experiencing some strange symptoms---seeing a flashing C shape move across both eyes. I was in FL on vacation. I called Dr. Shane's office after hours. I received a call back from him within 10 minutes of my call. We discussed my symptoms and he told what he thought it might be but to be such he need to examine me. He got me in to see him the next morning. I was in and out of his office in a total of about 40 minutes. It turned out to be a ocular migraine. I highly recommend him.
Sarasota, FL |
Dr. Shane is quite conscientious and thorough.
in Bradenton, FL |
Dr. Shane and his staff were professional and answered all my questions. I was taken at my appointment time. Dr. Shane knew immediately what my problem was and clearly explained it to me, including showing me an illustration on his computer.
in Bradenton, FL |
After visiting numerous doctors to discover what what was wrong with me, Dr. Shane correctly diagnosed that I had blood cancer. He was "spot on".
in Sarasota, FL |
I was extremely impressed with Dr. Shane and his staff. They were all very welcoming and professional. I was already impressed with Dr. Shane the day before my appointment when he called to introduce himself.
in Sarasota, FL |
i was very pleased with Dr. Shane and his office. the appt was very efficient and thorough.
in Lakewood Ranch, FL |
1. Ease of making appointment - as a new patient I was able to schedule an appointment for the next day. 2. Dr Shane called my home shortly after I made the appointment to introduce himself and to ask if I had any questions before my appointment. 3. Office staff was friendly and efficient. I was seen promptly. 4. Dr. Shane is friendly, courteous, professional, and very knowledgeable. His examination was thorough and he explained in detail the results of his examination.
in Glen Ellyn, Il |
I was a new patient with a serious viral eye infection. Dr Shane made the time to see me on a Saturday. He explained the treatment protocol after a comprehensive exam. I began the regimen and he did follow up about two times a week. He was successful and after about 3 weeks he released me from further treatment. I recovered full vision ! I am very thankful for his expertise, patience and perseverance. TNT
in Canton, Ohio |
Very pleasant experience. The doctor & staff made the experience easy. The doctor & staff appeared to be very knowledgeable & through. The doctor explained everything in detail & seemed very confident in his diagnosis & treatment. (Time will tell -- this is being written just hours after first visit). Pleasant atmosphere for doctors office.
Have you seen Dr. Thomas Shane, MD?
Are you Dr. Shane?

Compare Dr. Shane

Dr. Shane says...

Dr. Shane went on to do his residency at the prestigious Bascom Palmer Eye Institute in Miami, which is ranked as the #1 ophthalmology program in the United States by U.S. News and World Report. During his residency, his research efforts led him to an award for Outstanding Achievement in Resident Research from the Florida Society of Ophthalmology.

Dr. Shane's Care Philosophy

Dr. Shane's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Ophthalmology
  •  Board certified in Ophthalmology

Dr. Shane has no media or publications listed.

Why It Matters: Dr. Shane's Board Certifications

• Benign Neoplasm of Eye
  • Blind Hypotensive Eye
  • Blindness
  • Chorioretinal Scars
  • Choroidal Neovascular Membranes (CNVM)
  • Conjunctival Hemorrhage
  • Contusion of the Eyeball
  • Corneal Abrasion or Laceration
  • Corneal Diseases
  • Degenerative Disorders of Globe
  • Diabetic Macular Edema (DME)
  • Diabetic Retinopathy

Aurora St. Luke's Medical Center
    Bascom Palmer Eye Institute
    Bascom Palmer Eye Institute
    Emory University

Dr. Shane does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Shane and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Ophthalmology

• Retinal Laser Surgery
  • Retinal Surgery
  • Scleral Buckling
  • Vitrectomy
  • Vitrectomy (incl. Macular Hole Repair)
  • Vitreoretinal Surgery