Dr. Thomas Ortel, MD

Dr. Thomas Ortel, MD

Hematology | Male

Durham Office 1 DUKE MEDICAL CTR Durham, NC 27710 Get Directions

I primarily see patients who have a variety of rare bleeding and clotting disorders. I see both older and younger patients and also provide help when patients need to transition to and away from blood thinners. Doctors usually refer patients to me. I try to work with each patient so they understand why they are seeing me and what is going on with their body. I enjoy when a patient can leave my office with a complete understanding of what is going on and what they need to do to get better. As a young child I had bad allergies and spent much time in the doctors office. As a frequent patient I enjoyed spending time around medicine. As I entered college I found that I enjoyed chemistry and that hematology allowed me to combine lab work with patient care.

Dr. Thomas Ortel, MD is a hematology doctor who practices in Durham, NC. He is 59 years old and has been practicing for 32 years. Dr. Ortel is affiliated with Duke University Hospital.

Dr. Ortel's Experience

See how Dr. Ortel's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Ortel

Dr. Ortel accepts 5 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Ortel has admitting privileges.

Dr. Ortel's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Ortel to family and friends
Dr. Ortel's Performance
Duke Hospital |
After 2 life threatening blood clots, we got to Dr Ortel. He was miraculous. He explained every step of a year long treatment clearly. When that was complete, he then discussed at length my goals and gave me options taking those goals and my quality of life into the mix. His recommendations were spot on, and my family and I couldn't be more grateful. He is an excellent, caring physician who demonstrated genuine concern for me far beyond prescribing a pill.
in Danville,VA |
Dr. Ortel , I'm a long term patient of Dr. Ortel, and I must say he's wonderful, amazing, caring, awesome, and very supported he really cares about his patients and is always there if I need him night or day no matter if I page him he always answer and he's very well manner and respectful after all I'm one of his difficult patient in a good way, I value Dr. Ortel and appreciate everything he has done and doing to make my life better Thank you Dr. Ortel your surely one of a kind #1. LaVerne
Have you seen Dr. Thomas Ortel, MD?
Are you Dr. Ortel?

Compare Dr. Ortel

}

Dr. Ortel's Care Philosophy

Dr. Ortel's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Hematology
  •  Board certified in Hematology and Internal Medicine

Dr. Ortel has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for North Carolina.

Why It Matters: Dr. Ortel's Board Certifications

• Hematology

• Anemia
  • Antiphospholipid Syndrome (APS)
  • Aortic Embolism and Thrombosis
  • Bleeding Disorders
  • Blood Disorders
  • Blood Disorders in Pregnancy
  • Bone Cancer
  • Coagulation Disorders (incl. Hemophilia)
  • Cryoglobulinemia
  • Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
  • Hemophilia
  • Hemophilia A
  • Hypercoagulable State
  • Immune Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP)
  • Leukocytosis
  • Maternal Anemia
  • Myeloma
  • Myeloproliferative Disorders
  • Neutropenia
  • Pancytopenia
  • Polycythemia Rubra Vera
  • Pregnancy-Related Disorders
  • Primary Hypercoagulable State (incl. Factor V Leiden Disease)
  • Purpura
  • Qualitative Platelet Defects (incl. Glanzmann's Thrombasthenia)
  • Sickle Cell Disease

Duke University Medical Center

Completed in 1988

Duke University Medical Center

Completed in 1991

Dr. Ortel does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Ortel and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Hematology