Dr. Thomas Nguyen, MD

Pain Medicine •  Male • Age 52

Telehealth services available

Dr. Thomas Nguyen, MD is a Pain Medicine Specialist in Reston, VA. Dr. Nguyen has more experience with Spine and Pain Management than other specialists in his area. He is affiliated with Reston Hospital Center. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Nguyen to book an appointment.

Virginia Spine Institute

New Patient?
Virginia Spine Institute11800 Sunrise Valley Dr Ste 800 Reston, VA 20191

Dr. Nguyen's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Nguyen

4.4

Dr. Nguyen?
i have often wished he could be my primary care physician. He understands your whole body physically and mentally
Anonymous – Feb 24, 2020
Thank you for this five-star review. Dr. Nguyen...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Nguyen, MD?
I have been with him for over ten years, He has always worked to provide me with the best possible medications ,excercise, what ever it takes to make my situation the very best. He TRULY cares about his patients . You could not find a better doctor anywhere . HE is the BEST!
Marlyse S. – Feb 04, 2020
Hi, Marlyse! Dr. Nguyen is flattered by your...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Nguyen, MD?
Dr. Nguyen is the reason we stay with VA Spine Institute. He has our back, and our trust. We value his experience!
Jerry S. – Dec 21, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Nguyen, MD?
I would recommend Dr. Nguyen to anyone. He is eager to help and always listens to any questions, or concerns that I may have both before and after my surgeries. I always feel that I have his undivided attention and that I am his #1 priority. He is also great at communicating with my family what is going on with me and where I am at in the process. He is a true asset to VSI.
Michael K. – Nov 15, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Nguyen, MD?
I have been seeing Dr. Nguyen for 4 years now. He listens to me and never rushes through our appointments. He truly makes me feel like I am a person and not a number. My physical problems and pain levels fluctuate constantly which would make some others give up (this has happened to me 2x previous times before coming here). Not Dr. Nguyen....he often sits back, pulls up the images/history and says "Ok, let's start over and look at this differently". How many other doctors can you think of that do that?
Scott H. – Oct 31, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Nguyen, MD?
I have worked with Dr. Nguyen for years on chronic pain issues. He has always listened, understood and suggested actionable items. He has always provided me with a feeling of hope and followed it up with actions that justify that hope. Dr. Nguyen clearly stays up-to-date on new research and works it in as it is warranted. Dr Nguyen is truly empathetic and personally invested in his patient's outcomes. I really appreciate thisl. A wonderful doctor.
Anonymous – Oct 18, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Nguyen, MD?
I had a very friendly experience, accurate experience, and great knowledge of all my pain issues.
Elizabeth G. – Oct 17, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Nguyen, MD?
After years of doctors not listing or understanding my back pain, I had tears of joy after seeing Dr. Nguyen. He truly hears what I say and takes the time to come up with a plan of action to relieve my pain. He has been my pain management physician for the past 9 years and I wouldn't be able to live life to my fullest without him. Thank you Dr. Nguyen!
Joyce S. – Sep 13, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Nguyen, MD?
I have been a patient of Dr. Nguyen since 2007 for pain management. He is the reason I continue to come to VSI even though VSI is out of network. The best quality about him that keeps me coming back is he treats the person as a whole not just where I am experiencing pain. He explains to me options NOT just in medical terms but in a way that I can understand. Never rushes me and has a wonderful way of communicating by connecting with me. I honestly can say that if doctors would take the time to connect and have a conversation with their patient VS. TELLING people would feel more valued and know that the patient and the doctor work together to be solution based. When one is in pain it is scary but he takes the fear away from me so my care is manageable in my mind. He is the best !!!!
Jennifer S. – Sep 05, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Nguyen, MD?
I have been coming to VA Spine for years due to ongoing spine issues and Dr. Nguyen works to find the best treatments to help me be able to work and live the best life I can. His kindness,, mixed with his extensive medical knowledge allows for a well-rounded plan. The entire staff at VA Spine are compassionate and very helpful.
Ingrid W. – Sep 05, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Nguyen, MD?
I could not ask for a better physician for my pain management care. Very caring and supportive, just what patients are looking for.
Jeff B. – May 06, 2019
Jeff, we appreciate your honest feedback and...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Nguyen, MD?
I have been with Dr. Nguyen since he started with the VSI. If it weren't for his care and balancing of my pain meds I would not be up and walking. It is due to his compassion and skill that I am as mobile as I am. He is willing to to get emails from me (at 3 am), shifts my meds in bad times, and is my rock when the pain tries to overtake my life. He is the only medical professional that I trust my very life to. What a gift he is to those of us who need a great PM Doc.
Jill R. – May 01, 2019
Jill, thank you for entrusting Dr. Nguyen and the...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Nguyen, MD?
dr.nguyen would listen to what i had to say, then he would give me his opinion. i did not always like what he had to say, i did let him know what i thought and i was not the most easy going but in the end he was correct. i love vsi
Melvin B. – Apr 25, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Nguyen, MD?
Dr Nguyen changed my life. Words will never convey the depths of my gratitude yet I'll try so that others will be lucky enough to experience his first rate phenomenal care. Dr Nguyen isn't just brilliantly knowledgeable as a physician, he's also unbelievably empathetic and compassionate, which sadly is a rare combination. He spends time actually listening to patients& genuinely cares. Highly recommended isn't even suffice! He is an amazing Dr and even stays on top of new findings in medicine!
M. A. B. – Apr 20, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Nguyen, MD?
I have complete confidence in Dr. Nguyen. He has helped me so much.
P. S. – Jan 23, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Nguyen, MD?
Dr.Nguyen was very good at informing me about all the procedures and made the whole experience wonderful i would recommend him to anyone who needed pain management
Pamela S. – Jan 02, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Nguyen, MD?
Dr. Nguyen is one of the most wonderful physicians I have ever encountered. He is kind, compassionate and considerate. He will take ample time to address my concerns, and I never feel rushed.
Beverley S. – Nov 15, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Nguyen, MD?
Dr. Nguyen is wonderful! He has helped manage my lower back and leg pain for 5+ years and I couldn't ask for a better pain management Dr. He is personable, compassionate, knowledgeable, and I believe he truly cares about each and every one of his patients. I can't imagine every going to another pain management Dr!
Winchester VA – Apr 05, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Nguyen, MD?
I have been going to Dr Nguyen for several years after my last back surgery. I actually consider him a friend in addition to my pain Dr. I would recommend him to anyone who is suffering from chronic pain. Dr Nguyen is a very compassionate Dr who goes out of his way to help relieve you pain.
Earl Ritter in Winchester – Mar 31, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Nguyen, MD?
I have been a patient of Dr. Nguyen for close to 10 years. I was told 10 years ago by Dr. Schuler that I would never be free of pain so he introduced me to Dr. Nguyen. Dr. Nguyen has been very personable, patient, empathetic and compassionate.
Manassas, VA – Aug 08, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Nguyen, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Nguyen?

Dr. Nguyen accepts

Dr. Nguyen accepts the following insurance:

Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield
Coventry Health Care
Group Health Cooperative (GHC)
Group Health Cooperative
Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)

No malpractice claims found for Virginia

Spine

Spine specialists diagnose and treat conditions affecting the bones of the spine, including degenerative spine disease, herniated discs, stenosis, and fractured vertebrae, with treatments including medication, physical therapy, and surgery.

Typically treats 74% more than their peers

Based on claims data for 12 conditions and procedures

TreatmentsTreatment Frequency
Low Back Pain

Dr. Nguyen treats Low Back Pain more than 99% of their peers

Dr. Nguyen treats this condition more than 99% of their peers

Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)

Dr. Nguyen treats Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement) more than 97% of their peers

Dr. Nguyen treats this condition more than 97% of their peers

Osteoarthritis of Spine

Dr. Nguyen treats Osteoarthritis of Spine more than 97% of their peers

Dr. Nguyen treats this condition more than 97% of their peers

Pain Management

Pain management specialists diagnose and treat pain and pain-related conditions through procedures including medication, electrical stimulation, physical therapy, and alternative therapies such as acupuncture.

Typically treats 73% more than their peers

• Lumbar Radiculopathy
  • Myofascial Trigger Point Injection
  • Neck Muscle Strain
  • Neck Pain
  • Neck Strain (incl. Whiplash Injury)
  • Nerve Block, Somatic
  • Pathological Spine Fracture
  • Peripheral Nerve Block
  • Spinal Nerve Block
  • Spondylosis
  • Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS)
  • Upper Back Pain

Dr. Nguyen joined Virginia Spine Institute in 2005 to strengthen the comprehensive and interventional pain management practice. As Director of the Pain Management Center of Virginia, a state-of-the-art outpatient medical center, he has been recognize...Read more

• Pain Medicine