Dr. Thomas Loftus, MD

Neurosurgery •  Male • Age 48

Telehealth services available

Dr. Thomas Loftus, MD is a Neurosurgery Specialist in Austin, TX and has over 23 years of experience in the medical field. Dr. Loftus has more experience with Spine than other specialists in his area. He graduated from University of Texas Southwestern Medical School medical school in 1997. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as St. David's South Austin Medical Center and St. David's Medical Center. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Loftus to book an appointment.

Austin Neurosurgical Institute

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Loftus

4.5

Dr. Loftus?
What People Say About Dr. Thomas Loftus, MD
Back to back cervical and lumbar decompression, discectomy, and fusion (2 days apart). One year post-op and easily 70% improvement in neck and back pain and overall stability. Running 5 miles a day 2-3 days per week. Dr. Loftus is a incredibly skilled and gifted, professional surgeon. I would highly recommend him to anyone who suffers from neck and lower back pain and exhausted all conservative pain management treatments to no avail like I did over a 30 year period. Thank you Dr. Loftus. I hope I’ll never need your professional services again but I look forward to seeing you on the running trails around our great city and a post pandemic high-five!
Andrew Rochstein – Jun 26, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Loftus, MD?
I highly recommend Dr. Loftus and his team. I have been in pain for years and in a matter of 6 months I'm pain free. He is very knowledgeable and very professional. I only wish I would have done it earlier. Thank you team!
Tyler M – Jun 17, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Loftus, MD?
Dr. Loftus is excellent. He explains everything completely and great communication skills. His staff is very attentive and welcoming. I wouldn’t go anywhere else.
Jun 12, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Loftus, MD?
The staff were very friendly and professional. I felt so relax with everything about the visit. Dr loftus always has a smile for us always. He explains and listens like I was the only patient he had that day. He makes us feel so comfortable. I would certainly tell all my family and friends about Dr Loftus and all his staff and how great they are. I am so bless to have Dr Loftus as my doctor.
Untalan, – Jun 04, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Loftus, MD?
Dr. Loftus is quite remarkable. I am just 60 days postop and already my lifestyle has changed. I feel like that I am going to be able to enjoy the latter part of my life so much better. He is caring, kind, very competent, trustworthy, and extremely professional. His staff goes above and beyond to follow Dr Loftus’s high standards of care. I would highly recommend him to anyone who feels like their life is hopeless because of pain. May God continue to bless the works of his hands.
Lana Childs – Apr 24, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Loftus, MD?
Dr. Loftus was awesome. I received excellent care and am very satisfied. The staff were all friendly and professional and I would certainly recommend Dr. Loftus to anyone needing surgery.
Apr 15, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Loftus, MD?
Dr. Loftus has performed 2 fusions for me. The first time I did the shots, the PT etc. It did not help and I was practically in a wheelchair. He fixed it so well I was normal until I did something stupid and ruptured another disc. This time I didn't fool around. I went to the office with scans and he felt maybe a less invasive discectomy would help. It did help until it didn't . I went back to the office and he set me up for a fusion immediately. Now I am doing fine. I would not hesitate to recommend him. My daughter is seeing him now.
muffin – Apr 05, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Loftus, MD?
Dr. Lotus is a great physician. He is dedicated to his work and providing the best options to his patients. He is upfront and honest with you. My 3 surgeries went very well. I recommend him for anyone. If you are looking for a neurological surgeon Dr. Loftus and his team are top notch.
Thomakata S Turner – Mar 27, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Loftus, MD?
I have been a patient for over 5 years when Dr Loftus did a fusion. He and his staff are very pleasant and Dr Loftus is very thorough. He explained options and I continue care for an ongoing issue. I have trusted him and will continue to do so.
Mar 27, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Loftus, MD?
Dr. Loftus and his staff were very kind and helped my 84 year old mom through her neck surgery. She is back to her active self again and is so happy. It’s a miracle what Dr. Loftus was able to do. Thank you for everything especially your kindness.
Angela Parkhill – Mar 21, 2020
Wonderful staff and Dr Loftus is the best ever
Michele K Schultz – Mar 20, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Loftus, MD?
I would like to thank Dr Loftus and his staff for their outstanding care before, during, and after my lumbar fusion surgery. I had lived with a great deal of pain for over a decade and other Dr’s just prescribed more medications. By the time I was referred to Dr Loftus I had pretty much given up hope and feared I would just always live in agony. Within 5 minutes of meeting Dr Loftus and his staff I felt hope again. My surgery went great and the results are way better than I ever dreamed they could be. I believe he has given me a chance to enjoy life again, and am forever grateful to him and his staff.
Leroy – Mar 18, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Loftus, MD?
Follow up from 3rd back k surgery.
Feb 28, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Loftus, MD?
He knows what he’s doing.
Feb 15, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Loftus, MD?
I asked my pain management Dr., if this was your back, who would you use. Dr. Thomas Loftus was his answer. That was the beginning of a recovery I was not used to seeing, considering three back surgeries in our family. I was involved in an auto accident Nov. 2017. Spring of 2019 I decided to get a diagnosis from Dr. loftus. His recomendation was a four levelcervical. Dr. loftus thoroughly explained what and how he would do to make my life better. This caused a few anxious moments for my wife. After two canceled surgeries due to a merry go round with Medicare, Dr loftus did minimum invasive surgery. The first four weeks were inconvenient due to neck brace. After 90 days, range of motion is muchbetter than I expected. Dr. Loftus with his team of James and Michelle were great in handling my problem. Staci, his office manager was helpful wading through Medicare redtape. Back issues, please get an opinion from Dr Loftus. What do you have to lose? Two or three hours of time
W. Kolinek – Jan 31, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Loftus, MD?
Dr. Loftus is an amazing, caring human being. As my doctor for 3 yrs. now I can say I’m super blessed to have god lead me to the best in his field!! Thank you to all his office staff. Michelle is the PA there , she is absolutely a wonderful physician as well. I’m one blessed patient.. highly recommend Dr. Thomas Loftus ??????????????
MarySue Upton – Jan 30, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Loftus, MD?
Dr. Loftus changed my life! I was in a tremendous amount of pain. He was incredibly patient and informative. I highly recommend him to anyone suffering from mild to severe back and leg pain!
Khaliah Rawls – Jan 23, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Loftus, MD?
Dr. Loftus and his whole team are professional, and very knowledgeable in their fields- from the reception to the top Doc, 100% great team!
Christine Anderson – Jan 11, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Loftus, MD?
Loftus ignored complaints of worsening pain as I healed post surgery. I had a CT scan then 2 weeks later felt and heard an excruciating and loud pop in my back. I told Loftus in a follow up visit. He said since my scans before this incident were fine, he didn't want to subject me to further imaging and scheduled more imaging in 3 months. I had that imaging done and went to his office a couple of weeks afterwards. He failed to call or even mention that both pars of my L5 were broken. Instead, he was ready to extend my fusion down to S1 when previously he said it wasn't needed and let me schedule it several months out knowing I was walking around with a broken vertebra. The radiologist even put in his notes that he called their office and spoke with his PA yet they never told me. I only found out my vertebra was broken after I consulted with a different doctor and got a copy of my radiology report. I had micro movement in my fusion and wasn't ever going to fuse.
PatientX – Dec 31, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Loftus, MD?
Very kind gentleman. Great surgeon that truly cares about his patients.
Patti W – Dec 13, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Loftus, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Loftus?

Dr. Loftus accepts most major insurance plans.

Dr. Loftus has indicated that he accepts most major insurance carriers

(512) 836-0900Find providers who accept this insurance

1 board action Found
  • Unprofessional Conduct (10/20/2017)View details
No malpractice claims found for Texas

Spine

Spine specialists diagnose and treat conditions affecting the bones of the spine, including degenerative spine disease, herniated discs, stenosis, and fractured vertebrae, with treatments including medication, physical therapy, and surgery.

Typically treats 90% more than their peers

Based on claims data for 19 conditions and procedures

TreatmentsTreatment Frequency
Low Back Pain

Dr. Loftus treats Low Back Pain more than 100% of their peers

Dr. Loftus treats this condition more than 100% of their peers

Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)

Dr. Loftus treats Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement) more than 100% of their peers

Intervertebral Disc Disease

• Aneurysm
  • Brain Aneurysm
  • Brain Surgery
  • Broken Neck
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease
  • Craniectomy, Craniotomy, Surgery of Skull Base, Neuroendoscopy
  • Disc Replacement
  • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Incision and Removal of Foreign Object
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Meningiomas
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Neuroplasty
  • Spondylosis
  • Thoracic Spine Myelopathy
  • Thrombosis
  • Vertebral Column Tumors

Using the latest in medical and technological advances. We strive to provide professional, compassionate care for our patients throughout their treatment. ANI offers the full range of surgical treatments for disorders of the spine, spinal cord and pe...

• Neurosurgery