Dr. Thomas Loftus, MD

Dr. Thomas Loftus, MD

Neurosurgery  |

Dr. Thomas S. Loftus established Austin Neurosurgical Institute in July 2003. He is board-certified by the American Board of Neurological Surgery. Raised in Marble Falls, Dr. Loftus returned to Austin after completing his residency in neurological surgery at the University of Missouri. There he received extensive training in treatment of a broad spectrum of neurosurgical disorders with a special emphasis in complex spine surgery and minimally invasive techniques. He graduated cum laude from Texas A&M University and received his medical degree from the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School. He is a member of the Congress of Neurological Surgeons, the American Association of Neurological Surgeons and the Texas Medical Foundation. Dr. Loftus has taught courses addressing minimally invasive neurosurgical techniques at numerous professional conferences and assists with new product development for various biomedical companies.

Austin Neurosurgical Institute

2200 Park Bend Dr Bldg 2-202

Austin, TX 78758

• Accepts most major Health Plans. Please contact our office for details.

Learn about Dr. Loftus

Using the latest in medical and technological advances. We strive to provide professional, compassionate care for our patients throughout their treatment. ANI offers the full range of surgical treatments for disorders of the spine, spinal cord and peripheral nerves. We are committed to using the latest advancements in the field of neurosurgery to achieve the best possible long-term outcome for our patients.

Dr. Loftus' Experience

Dr. Loftus' experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Neurosurgery
  • Board certified in Neurosurgery

• Neurosurgery

• Neurosurgery
    Accredited by: American Board of Neurological Surgery*

• Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Meningiomas
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Pathological Spine Fracture
  • Secondary Malignancies
  • Thoracic Spine Myelopathy
  • Vertebral Column Tumors

• Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Incision and Removal of Foreign Object
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery

Medical School | Graduated 1997
  • University Of Missouri Hospitals and Clinics
  • Boone Hospital Center
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

Dr. Loftus has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Loftus does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Loftus and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Loftus' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Loftus to family and friends
4.2
Dr. Loftus' Performance
Leander, TX |
Testing underway right now for second surgery needed to repair surgery Loftus did on me. He doesn't NOT accept Medicare payments; he expects money upfront before surgery that Medicare doesn't cover. And when surgery is done wrong; well of course you out your health, life and money. Was contemplating suicide until I found competent physician to redo surgery and hopefully give me back my health, life and will to live. Was in excruciating pain for 2 months; rolling around in bed in agony. RUN
Georgetown, TX |
My wife went in with some persistent pain. Because of our insurance, we had to go through a series of physical therapy and nerve-burning before we were allowed to let Loftus do the surgery, which was fusing three vertabrae. I was super nervous because of the nature of the surgery but I can only give him the best possible recommendation. He was considerate and clear about everything coming up, and the surgery itself was perfect. My wife is fully mobile and even dances freely. He's a great doctor.
Georgetown, TX |
Dr Loftus is a wonderful, compassionate Dr. He had performed surgery on my Mother, and she could not be happier, loves him and his PA to pieces. Aside of Dr. Loftus treating my Mom, we see many of his patients with the same feedback as we own a Physical Therapy clinic, and treat some of his patients for aftercare! Thank You Dr. Loftus and team for taking care of my 80 year old mother, and all patients that we treated for you!! My Mom calls him one of her sons now!!!
Clifton, TX |
After a lumbar fusion I kept telling him something felt wrong. 5 wks after repeatedly telling him that I got foot drop and still his same response was "my work looks good". Another surgeon found that the cage had slipped and had crushed the nerve for so long that I have permanent nerve damage and limited mobility. I live in constant severe pain because of his medical neglect. He doesn't deserve the right to perform surgery. Don't let him touch you or you will regret it for the rest of your life.
in Hutto, TX |
Dr Loftus is excellent! I have my life back, I was in pain for over a year, living on pain meds, seeking a Dr that could help me but all I heard was major surgery -6 months or longer recovery time. I did not want major surgery on my back- i decided to try injections, they were not successful. My primary Dr referred me to Dr loftus and he was so kind and told me he could help, recovery 2 weeks to 6 weeks! I returned to work in 10 days, don't suffer...go see him!
in Austin Texas |
I have had two complicated lumbar spinal surgeries from Dr Thomas Loftus. He is an excellent surgeon and has a great staff!! Dr Thomas Loftus is friendly, extremely knowledgeable and I trust him completely!!! I am back to walking and feeling great. Back surgery is scary. You hear lots of horror stories....but relax, Dr Thomas Loftus is the one for you too!!
Round Rock, TX |
If you enjoy things like sensation in your legs & being able to walk... Then avoid this "Doctor" you won'the regret it.
in Austin, TX |
Dr. Loft us was excellent. His diagnosis was correct when other doctors saw nothing. His surgery corrected my back problem completely, and my recovery time was even faster than he originally thought. Also, his chairside and bedside manner was excellent. His mild manner made me relaxed at all times. I recommend him highly.
in Austin, TX |
Great ?? surgeon he new exactly what I needed and I had the surgery everything went like it should and I am back to having my life back I can get out and play with my kids and dogs I am very impressed with the whole staff they all have high expectations at what they do and very professional. Thanks ???? to the team and dr loftus.
in Austin TX |
Dr. Loftus is an excellent surgeon. He and his polite and knowledgable staff advocated for me, and my insurance company approved an artificial disc replacement at level C5/6 instead of spinal fusion. I was home in my own bed in a few hours and never had to wear a neck brace. I have more mobility now than before the surgery. I truly cannot say enough about this procedure or this practice.
in Lampasas, Texas |
Dr Loftus is awesome and I would recommend him to anyone. I have had back problems for about 5 years and all other dr said it wea arthritis but I went to Dr Loftus and he said I had slipped disc. He did spinal fusion on my back about 7 weeks ago and I feel great. I felt better the day after surgery
in Fredericksburg, TX |
Dr. Loftus is an outstanding and professional neurosurgeon. He treats his patients with dignity and respect. He spends time discussing options and completely covers any and all concerns. His staff is unbelievably knowledgeable and professional, as well. I would highly recommend him.
Rockport, TX |
I would never recommend Dr. Loftus. He screwed my back up so bad. Due to him performing the surgery incorrectly by not cleaning the canal and leaving a gap between the two plates, inserting a screw and after hitting my nerve root removing it, I have nerve pain in my left foot and leg since surgery two years. He never told me any of this just that the surgery was a success and healing good. He wrote half truths of what I said during office visits. Never allow him to perform surgery on you!
Austin, TX |
Excellent experience with Dr Loftus. Performed minimally invasive disk compression. I label him the pain eliminator.
in Elgin, TX |
I had three bulging discs in my neck. After physical therapy, pain treatments I decided that it was time to do something else. I had been dealing with neck, head, shoulder and arm pain for years. Dr. Loftus and I decided it was time for surgery. Surgery was done on the 15th of Feb. and I couldn't be happier. Pain and numbness in right arm was gone. Neck wasn't that painful. Dr. Loftus and his staff are wonderful.
Have you seen Dr. Thomas Loftus, MD?
Are you Dr. Loftus?

Visit Dr. Loftus

Dr. Loftus accepts 6 insurance carriers
  • Accepts most major Health Plans. Please contact our office for details.

Hospitals where Dr. Loftus has admitting privileges