Sports Medicine Orthopedic Joint Reconstruction  |
Dr. Thomas Kovack, DO
I am a fellowship trained Orthopedic surgeon sub specialized in shoulder and elbow surgery. I am originally from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania but have been in Ohio for a majority of my Orthopedic training and practice. My past experiences with sports, nutrition, personal training, weight training and a healthy lifestyle has given me the ability to relate and treat my patients. My fellowship training in shoulder and elbow surgery in Tampa, Florida laid the foundation of my practice today. I treat and care for patients with any and all types of shoulder and elbow disorders. I perform the typical shoulder and elbow surgeries such as conventional total shoulder and reverse shoulder replacement, elbow replacement, arthroscopy with rotator cuff repairs and labral repair, ligament reconstruction and fracture repair. I have been performing new advanced procedures on younger patients with end stage glenohumeral arthritis. These procedures include the arthroscopic biologic total shoulder resurfacing with fresh osteochondral allograft and total shoulder resurfacing with Arthrosurface. I have seen very impressive early results. I also perform other procedures arthroscopically that many surgeons still perform open such as massive rotator cuff tears, bone and tendon transfers, fracture fixation and so on. To find out more about me and these procedures please go to my web site at www.columbusshoulderdoc.com.

1210 Gemini Pl Ste 200

• Delta Health System
  • Golden Rule

Learn about Dr. Kovack

Dr. Kovack's Experience

Dr. Kovack's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Sports Medicine Orthopedic Joint Reconstruction
  • Board certified in Orthopedic Surgery

This content was provided by Dr. Kovack "As an Orthopedic surgeon specializing in shoulder and elbow surgery I believe it is my responsibility to help my patients with their conditions with the most latest, innovative and minimally invasive procedures available. An example of this would be the first arthroscopic biologic total shoulder replacement that I performed in Columbus, Ohio in March of 2013 and continue to perform on patients that are suitable candidates for the procedure. Learn more at: www.columbusshoulderdoc.com."

• Sports Medicine Orthopedic Joint Reconstruction

• Elbow Disorders
  • Elbow Fracture
  • Elbow Pain
  • Elbow Sprain
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Femur Fracture
  • Ganglion Cyst
  • Glenoid Labrum Tear
  • Golfer's Elbow (Medial Epicondylitis)
  • Gout
  • Hip Fracture
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL) Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Sprain
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Non-Traumatic Rupture of Achilles Tendon
  • Shoulder Tendinitis and Tenosynovitis
  • Sports Injuries
  • Systemic Chondromalacia
  • Tendonitis
  • Tennis Elbow (Lateral Epicondylitis)
  • Tibia and Fibula Fractures

• Synovial Biopsy
  • Tommy John Surgery
  • Total Shoulder Replacement
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Ohio.

• University Of Pittsburgh / Main Campus
  • Ohio Univ
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2006
  • Florida Orthopaedic Institute
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2007

Dr. Kovack has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Kovack does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Kovack and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Kovack's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Kovack to family and friends
Dr. Kovack Says:

Thank you for your response and feedback that can be shared with others. Your feedback is very important to me so I can continually improve my patient's experience in my practice. If you have any concerns or need to contact me you can email me at the following gmail address at columbusshoulderdoc. You can also go to my web site columbusshoulderdoc and contact me that way. Thank You!

Dr. Kovack's Performance
in Lancaster, OH |
Great doc! One week post op shoulder surgery. No bruising, tolerable pain and only for a day or so. Highly recommend! Great personality and skills!!
Columbus |
Dr. Kovack replaced my right knee which was bothering me for decades. My prior orthopedic doctor did not address or recognize that my knee was as severe as it was (deformed/bowlegged.) I opted for a 2nd opinion (recommended by my hand doctor, Dr. Lubbers.) My first set of X-Rays with Dr. Kovack's office confirmed the need for a total knee replacement. I am 6 , 8 weeks post surgery and am totally without pain AND my right leg is straight, AND have already played 4 rounds of golf the last 2 wks!
in Beaver Falls, PA |
After two surgeons said Total Should Replacement was my only option and, at 57, my days of martial arts and weight training were basically over, I found Dr. Kovack, and am blessed that he was able to perform a Total Shoulder Resurfacing to repair my severely damaged and arthritic shoulder. After three months, I am back in the gym and doing what I love to do. Dr. Kovack certainly understands the mindset of older, still-active athletes. I am pain-free and couldn't be happier!
in Gahanna, OH |
Highly recommend Dr. Kovack! I feel like he has given me my life back. I have had arthritis in my knees since my early 40s. After seeing three different ortho docs, trying every single conservative treatment available and being told by those docs that I was too young for replacement I was extremely frustrated and depressed, unable to do things I enjoy. Dr. Kovack was recommended by a friend and he replaced my right knee in March and my left in June. I feel like a new woman! I am so grateful!
in Girard, Ohio |
Great Surgeon. Super bedside manners. Easy to understand. Tells you everything you need to know. Solid 10.
in Marion, OH |
I am very likely to recommend Dr. Thomas Kovack. He is a 10 on a scale of 1 to 10 .
in Laurelville, OH |
Dr. Kovack seemed confident at our initial meeting that the shoulder, which had been injured years earlier, could be repaired. 3 months after surgery, shoulder range of motion much improved and getting better daily. Would recommend to family.
in Beaver Falls, PA |
Was referred to Dr.Kovack by a fellow football coach who had shoulder resurfacement last year. Had this surgery done 4 months ago, have full range of motion and no pain. After 3 previous surgeries the only option in Pittsburgh was a shoulder replacement. Dr.Kovack has an excellent approach for those of us in mid 50s that want to get back to activities we did 20 years ago but could not because of pain and joint degeneration. I highly recommend Dr.Kovack for this type of surgery.
in Grove City, OH |
Great experience with dr kovack he does things no other docs do did a total shoulder resurface for me and I am very happy with the results would recommend to anyone that has shoulder issues
in Ashville, OH |
Was able to get in for my shoulder right away. Dr. Kovack was very pleasant and explains exactly what your options are. He explained exactly what he would be doing during the surgical procedure. His bedside manner is great. A+++ doctor. Wouldn't hesitate a bit to go back to Dr. Kovack if I needed another procedure. In fact my wife is now seeing him for her knee after a bad experience with another Dr.
in Marysville, OH |
I was extremely satisfied with Dr. Kovack. I had never had a serious injury or surgery before so I was not sure what to expect. But Dr. Kovack and his staff walked me through the whole process and everything went very smoothly. The surgery and rehab both went very well and I am well on my way to a full recovery.
in Columbus, Ohio |
Dr. Kovack is an exceptional surgeon with superb bedside manner. I highly recommend him to anyone who may need surgical intervention for shoulder problems.
Lancaster, OH |
He is a great guy. My total shoulder replacement was a great success with no pain post op. I would highly recommend Dr. Kovack.
in Sidney Ohio |
I would recommend Dr.Kovack to anyone. He is a great surgeon. He did a shoulder replacement and a knee replacement on me. I wouldn't go to any other Orthopedic surgeon, He did a wonderful job on me .I have COPD and during my knee surgery my oxygen lowered and my B/P I need my other knee done now if my body will let me go threw it So I will be seeing him again. He is a God sent. Sharon Roach
in Pittsburgh, PA |
Absolutely awesome! I am so glad I found out about Dr. Kovack and his staff!
in Dublin, OH |
I was very pleased with Dr. Kovack's knowledge of my shoulder issues and his ability to perform the necessary surgery to eliminate my problems. He explained the procedure thoroughly. I have had shoulder surgery previously and was not happy with the results. This time, I found a doctor that was able to rectify my shoulder problems. Bob Snyder
in Mansfield, OH |
i experienced a fall after the ground slipped away on a backpacking trip. total fall was about 250 foot - resulting in a crushed wrist and many tendons and muscles tears in the shoulder.. resulting in 2 surgeries. Dr Kovack is quite a special doctor that i would highly recommend for any injuries in his field of expertise. he takes the time to explain things to whatever level you want. He is very easy to talk to, likable and personable and most of all a leader in his field. This guy is amazing.
in Toledo, OH |
Had a positively wonderful experience. I live in Toledo Ohio and came to Dr. Kovack's office for a total shoulder replacement. He is awesome. His skill is immense. I had a difficult case. he had me take a CT scan to produce a 3D rendering and create guides used in surgery. The result is amazing. I am 73 and 11 weeks out of surgery. I already have terrific function and no pain. And, by the way, he is a terrific guy ! Henry Ledgard Professor, University of Toledo
in Delaware, OH |
Little or no wait to see Dr Kovack in the office. Always pleasant and very knowledgeable in his specialty. I have recommended him to my family and friends.
in Columbus, OH |
Kind, courteous staff. Knowledgeable Doctor whom I trusted.
in Columbus ohio |
I did have 2 surgeries with Dr Kovack I do recommended him to all my family and friends very good bedside matter ,caring and very happy with the service I received from him.
in Dublin, OH |
Dr Kovack has a very deep understanding of the complexities involved with shoulder injuries. He explained in great detail my injury and laid out a plan pre and post surgery. I gained a sense of confidence from Dr. Kovack as he puts out a good vibe . Dr understands and helps managing the pain post operatively. He advocates rigorous rehab as it is a very important element in the scope of regaining normal shoulder and arm movement. My personal experience with Dr. Kovack has been 5 stars throughout.
in Portsmouth |
Could not get past receptionist Sherry even after my insurance called her. She needs to take a class on insurance and patient empathy
in Columbus, OH |
I believe this doctor knows what he is doing, and is a very good at what he does.
Have you seen Dr. Thomas Kovack, DO?
Are you Dr. Kovack?

Group Plan PPO
    Medicare Advantage PFFS
  • Delta Health System
  • Golden Rule
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA