Dr. Thomas Kiefhaber, MD

Dr. Thomas Kiefhaber, MD

Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery  |

Dr. Thomas Kiefhaber, MD is a hand and upper extremity surgery doctor who practices in Cincinnati, OH. He is 63 years old and has been practicing for 37 years. Read his story

TriHealth Orthopedic and Sports Institute

• Health Net
  • Health Span
  • HealthFirst

Learn about Dr. Kiefhaber

See how frequently Dr. Kiefhaber performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Trigger Finger Release
Carpal Tunnel Release
Neuroplasty

Dr. Kiefhaber's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Kiefhaber's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Kiefhaber "The son of an Orthopaedic Surgeon, Dr. Kiefhaber knew from an early age that this was the career path he wished to follow. He shows the same respect and compassion for patients that he observed in his father. Dr. Kiefhaber enjoys teaching the bright and skilled Mary S. Stern Hand Surgery Fellows and Family Practice residents. He has contributed to the science of hand surgery through journal articles, book chapters and presentations at national medical conferences. Dr. Kiefhaber's special interests include treatment of elbow and wrist disorders."

• Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery

• Elbow Bursitis
  • Elbow Fracture
  • Elbow Sprain
  • Extra-Articular Fracture
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Ganglion Cyst
  • Hand Fracture
  • Intra-Articular Fracture
  • Joint Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Limb Cancer

• Excision of Metacarpal and Carpal
  • Excision of Radius or Ulna
  • Finger Amputation
  • Finger Joint Fusion
  • Fracture Open Reduction and Internal Fixation (ORIF)
  • Fracture and-or Dislocation Treatment
  • Wrist Ligament Reconstruction
  • Wrist Reconstruction
  • Wrist Replacement
  • Wrist Surgery

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Ohio.

• Duke University
  • University Of Cincinnati / Main Campus
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1985
  • Indiana Hand Center
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1986

Dr. Kiefhaber has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Kiefhaber does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Kiefhaber and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Kiefhaber's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Kiefhaber to family and friends
Dr. Kiefhaber's Performance
in Cincy, OH |
DOCTOR... I have been with Dr. Thomas Kiefhaber for many hand, wrist and most recently an Ulnar Nerve surgery at my Elbow... over the last 10+ years. I can't imagine a better surgeon for these types of procedures. And know what else he and his staff have the audacity to do... they listen to what the patient has to say and I truly feel they care about me as an individual person!!! Even my son and daughter complement Dr. K on his interaction with them when he talks with them after my surgery.
in Liberty, IN |
I have had many years of care with a variety of hand problems and surgeries. The Doc has fixed them and I was able to keep working. He was honest with his words and the results of surgery expectations. I have recommended him to many people over the years. A talented and good man with an efficient and caring staff. I appreciate the fact he listened to my concerns, As a hairdresser my hands are my career of 47 years and are still working!
in Cincinnati, OH |
experienced surgeon, very pleasant, great staff.
in Middletown, OH |
Very caring and compassionate, I would highly recommend him.
Cincinnati, OH |
Excellent care, explained causes, treatment and expectations thouroughly. Very satisfied with the care received.
Dr. Kiefhaber came highly recommended. i found him to be professional and personable, He also showed interest in me as a person. He was cautious about surgery and explained the upside and potential downside to surgery. As an engineer, I like to understand the details of how things work and what exactly was done during surgery. When i asked questions during post op appointment, he didn't offer much detail. On my way out, I asked for the surgical report and did my own research online.
in Cincinnati, OH |
Dr. Kiefhaber was kind, down to earth and took his time to explain all options and details. He makes you feel very comfortable and having had 3 surgeries with him now, I highly respect his expertise.
in Fairfield |
I would have liked a little more explanation of what to expect and what would be good preventive actions to take to ensure no further damage. No questions were asked about the type of activities I do so I not sure if this can reaccure.
in Cincinnati, OH |
Had a very good experience. No problems.
in Cincinnati, OH |
I have recommended Dr. Kiefhaber to three friends and a family member. All were extremely satisfied.
in Hamilton, OH |
Dr. Kiefhaber is an excellent surgeon. My outcome from bilateral carpel tunnel release could not be better. Twelve weeks post-surgery and I am doing everything I want or need to do. I am sleeping through the night which I haven't been able to do for years. My incisions are barely visible. I could not have imagined an outcome this positive. I highly recommend Dr. Kiefhaber.
Lebanon, OH |
Dr. Kiefhaber is very personable. He answered all of my questions. After my last surgery I was going on vacation so he used dissolving stitches so I wasn't bothered with them. He also took into consideration I would be gone so I was allowed to do my follow-up a few days later than he recommended. I know several people that have had carpal tunnel surgery and their hands look like they were chewed up, but you can't even see my scars. I would highly recommend Dr. Kiefhaber to any one.
in Cincinnati, OH |
Dr Kiefhaber is spectacular. He is very caring and knows what he's doing. I have surgery twice on my finger from another surgeon. Then I went to Dr Kiefhaber and he fixed my finger on the first try. I couldn't say enough good about him.
He is a caring Dr.
in Cincinnati, OH |
He is very compassionate and instills confidence. His work is excellent.
in Cincinnati, OH |
Dr. Kiefhaber is very personable, thorough in his explanations, and made the process as pleasant & comfortable as can be expected.
in Cincinnati, OH |
It was a very good experience, the outcome was great - no more pain.
Cincinnati, OH |
I've had two hand surgeries and all options each time were clearly explained. Dr Kiefhaber always took time to answer questions and explained in detail what options I had. The office and surgical staff were always kind and attentive to my needs.
I like Dr Kiefhaber, he's very nice. Unfortunately I'm still having pain in my hands.
in Cincinnati, OH |
While I really like the care and counseling of Dr. Kiefhaber, I'm not so sure I would return to his practice. My insurance has been billed 3 times for the same surgery. Also, while I don't mind filling out the on-line survey, I have never received anything stating they got and/or read my survery. Hmm.
in Cincinnati, OH |
All of my experiences with Dr. Kiefhaber have been excellent. He is a treat in the office---he listens and hears. His diagnoses was spot on. I have two hands working now--I didn't before surgery. He is the top in my book. I would recommend him. Louise Holliday
in Warsaw, KY |
I am the third person in my family to be a patient of Dr. Kiefhaber. He first did carpal tunnel surgery on both my parents a few years ago. So when I needed to have surgery to help my painfully arthritic thumb, I obviously sought out Dr. Kiefhaber. My surgery and care went perfectly. At my final follow-up appointment, even Dr. Kiefhaber was impressed with my progress.
in West Chester, OH |
2-3 office visits before actually having surgery. Great doctor and great results!
Love his professionalism! He seems to really be genuine and caring! I appreciate his honesty! Would recommend him to family and friends for sure!!! Five STAR service! Thank you, SheRon
in Monroe, OH |
You really can't describe any surgical experience as wonderful, but this one came close to that. Dr. K. was never too busy for me. He answered my questions, and took the time to assure me that I would have a good outcome, and it is.
in Cincinnati, OH |
Quality of care plus thorough explanation of condition and procedure to remedy.
in Cincinnati, OH |
Dr. Kiefhaber spoke so I could understand any & everything that would be done to help with the locking left wrist. There were tests & xrays. I even had to put off the surgery for over a year due to a family situation. Of course things worstened, but I had to be patient with myself. And getting back to Dr. Kiefhaber's office confirmed how things shouldn't be when needing this wrist/hand for daily use. My surgery was scheduled soon after. And all is well!! His confidence was good for me!
in Oxford, OH |
Dr. Kiefhaber clearly explained his thinking on my situation and the pros and cons of surgery. He answered all my questions, even the redundant ones!
in Batavia, OH |
have been going there for a few years trust him and love his staff
in West Chester, OH |
I had one appt. with Dr. Kiefhaber. He was to review my records from another surgeon that could not help me with severe pain in my hand. He then was supposed to schedule an EMG and after a couple of weeks I called his office and was told they would get back to me to schedule the EMG Again I never heard from his office. I called again in 2 more weeks to get my records that he had reviewed from the other surgeon but was told that they could not find them.
in Hamilton, OH |
Would highly recommend him. Knowledgeable, friendly and skilled.
in Morrow, OH |
Dr. Kiefhaber has performed 3 surgeries on my right hand. That should say it all. I keep returning. My left hand was amputated at age 11 so it goes without saying my right is very important. He shown real concern and understanding. And each surgery has been successful.
in Monroe, OH |
Surgery: Carpal Tunnel R/L Experience: Dr. Keifhaber was very reassuring to me. He answered all of the questions I had.
in Loveland, OH |
He was very helpful with my trigger finger. One shot and I'm all better!
in Hamilton, OH |
I was very comfortable with Dr. Kiefhaber. I didn't feel he was talking over me, he explained everything in terms I understood.
in Cincinnati, OH |
Dr. Kiefhaber is skilled in his art and direct in his communication. His knowledge was shared during our appointment clearly and with compassion. He is honest about momentary pain; nevertheless he is patient with you and endeavors to make the pain minimal. I appreciated his interaction with me as a patient, giving me the opportunity to ask questions and come to a knowledgeable decision on the treatment direction to be taken. It would be an honor to refer others in need to him for care.
in Cincinnati, OH |
It was great he listens to what the patient says.
in West Chester, OH |
Dr. Kiefhaber is very thorough. Very nice and understanding. Dr. Kiefhaber was recommended to me by Dr. Zancan when he couldn't help me with my hand. I'm glad I took his advice. I would highly recommend him.
in Cincinnati, OH |
Very thorough and personable. Took time to answer all my questions.
in Cincinnati, OH |
Very professional, knowlegable, and caring. Sympathetic to my specific needs for pain associated with trigger fingers. Have recommended Dr. Keifhaber to several friends.
Blanchester, OH |
Able to describe clearly condition and treatment options. Entertains questions thoughtfully and cheerfully.
in West Chester, OH |
He listens. Caring, kind, came highly recommended by several former patients.
in Erlanger, KY |
Dr. Keihaber has performed three surgical procedures on me involving Dupytron's contracture and thumb joint re-construction. He is a skilled surgeon, who provided me with exactly the treatment I needed in each situation. I am most grateful to have found a physician who uses the most advanced approaches to treat his patients. He is the best!
Have you seen Dr. Thomas Kiefhaber, MD?
Are you Dr. Kiefhaber?