Dr. Thomas Heffernan, MD

Dr. Heffernan
Telehealth services available

North Texas Gynecologic Oncology

12200 Park Central Dr Ste 410 Dallas, TX 75251

Dr. Thomas Heffernan, MD is a Oncology Specialist in Dallas, TX. Dr. Heffernan has more experience with Gynecologic Oncology than other specialists in his area. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as CHRISTUS Mother Frances Hospital - Tyler and Medical City Children's Hospital. He is accepting new patients and has indicated that he accepts telehealth appointments. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Heffernan to book an appointment.

Compare Providers

Quickly compare more Oncology Specialists in your area

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Offers Telehealth
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    Outstanding Patient Experience Award™ See hospitals

No malpractice claims found for Texas

Frequently Treated by Dr. Heffernan

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Heffernan treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Heffernan treats other conditions, please contact the office at (972) 490-5970.

Gynecologic Oncology

Oncologists diagnose and treat cancers of the female reproductive system, including ovarian cancer, uterine cancer, and cervical cancer, through chemotherapy, radiation, surgery, or targeted cancer therapy.Compare with other Gynecologic Oncology specialists.

Dr. Heffernan typically treats 73% more often than similar doctors

Based on claims data for 3 conditions and procedures

Treatments
Removal of Reproductive Organs (Hysterectomy, Oophorectomy, Salpingectomy, Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Resection of Peritoneal Malignancy)
Hysterectomy - Laparoscopic

• Anal and Rectal Cancer
  • Anal Disorders
  • Anemia
  • Anemia and Iron Deficiency Screening
  • Arterial Blood Gas Test (ABG)
  • Asymptomatic Post-Menopausal Status
  • Cervical Polyps
  • Cervicitis
  • Cholesterol Screening
  • Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
  • Coagulation Disorders (incl. Hemophilia)
  • Colon and Rectal Surgery
  • Colorectal Cancer
  • Colpopexy
  • Colporrhaphy
  • Colporrhaphy With Robotic Assistance
  • Colposcopy
  • Destruction or Excision of Lesion of Cervix (incl. LEEP)
  • Destruction or Excision of Vaginal Lesions
  • Fecal Occult Blood Test for Colorectal Cancer
  • Female Infertility
  • Gynecologic Cancer
  • Hemorrhoids
  • HPV (Human Papillomavirus)
  • Hypercoagulable State
  • Lymph Node Biopsy or Excision
  • Lymphadenectomy With Robotic Assistance
  • Mediastinal Tumors, Malignant
  • Menopausal and Postmenopausal Disorders
  • Menstrual Disorders (incl. Dysmenorrhea)
  • Myomectomy - Open and-or Laparoscopic
  • Ovarian Cancer
  • Ovarian Cysts
  • Pancytopenia
  • Pap Smear Abnormalities
  • Pelvic Exenteration (For: Gynecologic, Urinary, or Colorectal Malignancy)
  • Perimenopause
  • Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
  • Pregnancy Test
  • Primary Hypercoagulable State (incl. Factor V Leiden Disease)
  • Rh Incompatibility Screening
  • Salpingo-Oophorectomy With Robotic Assistance
  • Scleroderma
  • Secondary Malignancies
  • Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
  • Small Intestine Cancer
  • Vulvectomy
  • Wound Repair
  • Yeast Infections

Dr. Heffernan accepts

Dr. Heffernan accepts the following insurance:

National (BlueCard) PPO
HealthyBlue Advantage

Dr. Heffernan's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Heffernan

Dr. Heffernan?
Dr. Heffernan was AMAZING. I had to have a full hysterectomy at the age of 39 and he was very thorough explaining the procedure and my life moving forward with hormones. My surgery went smoothly and I'm so thankful he was my doctor. You're in the best hands if he handles your procedure.
Rachael P – Nov 21, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Heffernan, MD?
I had the best care and experience provided by Dr. Heffernan. While he primarily treats women with cancer, he did something entirely different for me. We tragically lost our son in March 2020 due to cervical incompetence. At 24 weeks, my cervix failed causing a uterine infection and premature delivery. Dr. Heffernan compassionately listened to my experience and was able to offer a treatment to hopefully prevent this situation from occurring in a subsequent pregnancy. He placed a robotic laparoscopic transabdominal cerclage (Robo Lap TAC) that provides a better support to my cervix than traditionally-placed vaginal cerclages. He has had excellent success rates with this procedure. The surgery was seamless, and I had little to no pain afterward. I was back to my normal self the very next day. I am so appreciative of his kindness, compassion, and expertise that gives us hope to bring another child home to our family.
  • Long wait times
Emily – Oct 11, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Heffernan, MD?
Dr. Heffernan and his surgery team at Medical City Plano were fantastic! I am 50 years old and 2 weeks post surgery and haven't felt this good in 15 years. I had a robotic radical hysterectomy to remove stage 4 endometriosis that was all over several organs, fortunately, it did not turn out to be cancerous. Dr. Heffernan is an artist and his skill with the Da Vinci robot is just another example of his art, with precision and detail. Due to covid-19 our first 2 visits were by phone prior to surgery. Even by phone, Dr. Heffernan was very patient and thoroughly answered all of my questions. I am so blessed to have been referred to Dr. Heffernan.
Emily – May 08, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Heffernan, MD?
Today i had my first appointment with Dr.Heffernan' i was referred to him by my obgyn due to my health circumstances. He is very personable and professional & thourogh. I really like him and so glad i was referred to him by my wonderful obgyn that i trust immensely. I also want to add that cindy and his nurses are very sweet and welcoming. I was nervous about my appointment' but that has lifted and now i feel relaxed and ready to take care of my health and follow the direction and expertise of Dr.Heffernan.
Darian romero-m – Jan 31, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Heffernan, MD?
After having multiple OB challenges (ovarian cysts, fibroid tumors, stage 4 endometriosis, abnormal cervical cells & infertility) and undergoing two prior OB surgeries, I was referred to Dr Heffernan to perform a robotic hysterectomy. Dr. Heffernan specializes in complex cases, is extremely bright and well respected by other physicians. He walked me through my options and the process. My surgery and recovery was a piece of cake thanks to his clinical competency and the medical team he has around him. I woke up from surgery feeling great and my recovery was simple. One of the best decisions in my life was to have a full robotic assist hysterectomy by Dr. Heffernan. He’s a phenomenal surgeon and I am grateful to have him in the DFW area. My only wish is I would have been referred to and met him sooner.
Jen – Jan 11, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Heffernan, MD?
I was referred to Dr. Heffernan and I was having severe abdominal pain for months before this. Dr. Heffernan listened and made a decision on what needed to be done. My surgery was scheduled and the experience was scary, but I felt very cared for and comfortable with the process. Dr. Heffernan is kind and knowledgeable. He is an amazing Dr. and I would recommend him to anyone.
Jen – Oct 30, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Heffernan, MD?
Dr. Thomas Heffernan saved my life. I cannot say more posative things about this man and how wonderful he is as a doctor and a person. I was in a position where I had no way of getting medical treatment for a huge sist on my ovairy and had been in constant pain. I was misarable for years and did not know what to do or where to turn. In the past I had had a couple of treatments and surgery for the same issues with no posative outcome, but more pain that would just return and increase. Dr. Heffernan was the only person and still is the only person I trust to help me get better, my trust In doctors was ultametly destroyed due to horrible past experiences. Thank you Dr Heffernan for being a wonderful person and doctor! I recommend 100%+ I cannot say enough to encourage you to go to him if you are in need of a doctor in his field.
Mrs Sarah Tashi – Aug 05, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Heffernan, MD?
Dr. Heffernan is the best ever!!! Cancer is scary, Dr. Heffernan has made me feel so secure and informed along my 3 year journey. He has an amazing bedside manner, serious when he needs to be but knows when to keep it light. He is patient during my time with him and never rushed to answer any of my questions (even if it is silly or not).
Brenda Seegers in Frisco, TX – Aug 13, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Heffernan, MD?
I was diagnose with uterus cancer (grade 1) was referred to Dr. Heffernan'' he got right to the point and gave me his recommendations which was a hysterectomy, we set it up , did the surgery, and with the good lord's help did a overnight stay & was able to go home.. no chemo , no radiation, I was blessed... Dr. Heffernan knew what he was doing, was kind , got right to the point , the waiting wasn't too long.. He knew is stuff..I would definitely recommend him ....Biospy O.K.. & I'M CANCER FREE
Charlotte smitherman in Scurry , TX – Aug 05, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Heffernan, MD?
will never recommend. disappointing, this doctor had not seen one medical record or pathology report and proceeded to tell me because i have problems with insomnia, that i was bi-polar and that i probably never had endometriosis ( i have had 9 lap surgeries done in the past, it has been confirmed every time) he wanted to put me on antidepressents and then told me if i was to have a hysterectomy that my mortality rate would go up, that i could develop Parkinson's, or Alzheimer's. he is a jerk
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
rachael in denton, texas – May 03, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Heffernan, MD?
I can’t say enough positives about Dr. Heffernan. I was referred following diagnosis of several very large fibroid tumors which were impacting my fertility. Dr. Heffernan expertly explained my options for fibroid removal and the challenges of my specific case. I went into surgery being prepared for complications (all explained in detail) but ended up having an uncomplicated procedure due to Dr. Heffernan’s exceptional surgical skill. Throughout his bedside manner has been kind and accessible.
Lewisville, TX – Jan 26, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Heffernan, MD?
I was diagnosed with an enormous pelvic cyst with extensive adhesions to sigmoid colon. It was an extremely challenging and complex surgery which Dr. Heffernan successfully managed to perform in orderly fashion with utmost care. He also saved one of my ovaries. He was awesome to address each of my questions and was very nice with all his explanations. He is one of the topmost doctors in robotic surgery, you will be in best hand for sure. His whole staff and nurse were cordial.
Plano, TX – Jan 18, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Heffernan, MD?
I have been battling with tumors for years. I met Dr. Heffernan and he was awesome at explaining what was going on with my tumors. Surgery was a must. Dr. Heffernan reassured me, I would be ok. I had the surgery and he did and amazing job. He got out all the tumors and I was cancer free. Dr.Heffernan helps patients with and without cancer. Dr.Heffernan's whole staff and nurse was wonderful. I was so blessed with these amazing people who helped me in so many ways. Thank you. Many blessings.
Virginia English in Plano Texas – Dec 01, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Heffernan, MD?
He is very thorough in explaining what the issues are & the recommended suggested procedures. A very considerate & likable doctor.
Ardell Ferguson in Frisco, TX – Aug 30, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Heffernan, MD?
I am a nurse in the operating room (at a different hospital) and chose Dr. Heffernan because of his excellent reputation. My case was complicated and I could not trust anyone else to perform my surgery. He is a highly skilled robotic surgeon and made what I thought would be impossible, possible. He is also very knowledgeable and has a perfect bedside manner. Dr. Heffernan is AMAZING and I cannot say enough great things about him!!!
Highland Village, TX – Aug 24, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Heffernan, MD?
I'm a patient of Dr Heffernan since 2015; he performed my hysterectomy followed by chemo; I am very grateful for everything he has done and continues to do. He has saved my life and although my treatment is not complete, he gives me and my family support and motivation to keep going. He is very knowledgeable in his specialty and would recommend him 100% to anyone seeking gynecologic/oncology. His medical team and support are wonderful! You know you are in the best care with Dr Heffernan.
Gloria Gonzales in Sherman, TX – Jul 20, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Heffernan, MD?
Had a robotic total hysterectomy and was totally amazed with the care given by Dr. Heffernan and his staff. Luckily, there was no cancer....but if there had been, I know they would have given the best care ever!
Mary in Allen, TX – Jun 11, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Heffernan, MD?
Dr. Heffernan is a God send! That's not a cliche'. I was referred to him for a large mass behind my uterus and ovaries. Cancer being foremost in our mind, he put our fear to rest. The mass had to come out, so when given options for removal, what made such a difference was that Dr. Heffernan said his ability to perform surgery using the DaVinci method is his calling. I am living proof that it is. In less than 2 weeks post surgery, I feel great! My husband and I highly recommend him. God bless!
Shirlene Singleton in Rowlett, TX – Mar 13, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Heffernan, MD?
Dr Heffernan exceeds my high expectations that I expect from a doctor. Dr Heffernan takes the time to answer all questions you have (I had many!!) and he does it so pleasantly. His expertise, caring, skills, etc cannot be beat!! Being that I needed surgery, I am so thankful that I was able to use Dr Heffernan. Everything went better than I could have hoped and recovery has been great because of Dr Heffernan!! I cannot brag about Dr Heffernan enough! You cannot put yourself in better hands.
Lisa in Celina, TX – Feb 01, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Heffernan, MD?
Dr. Heffernan performed a Da Vinci Hysterectomy on my mother in late 2015 after being diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Him and his staff took amazing care of my mother and now thanks to them she is healthy and better than ever. His team exceeded our expectations with how caring they were and scheduling the surgery and going threw that process was a breeze. I can't thank him and his team enough! I highly recommend him.
Irving, TX – Jan 19, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Heffernan, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Heffernan?

• Oncology