Dr. Thomas Gross, MD

Orthopedic Surgery ·  Male · Age 59

Dr. Gross

Dr. Thomas Gross, MD is an orthopedic surgery specialist in Columbia, SC and has been practicing for 34 years. He graduated from Johns Hopkins University School Of Medicine in 1985 and specializes in orthopedic surgery.

Make an appointment

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Gross

Dr. Gross?
Dr. Gross' Performance
What People Say About Dr. Thomas Gross, MD
RecentMost Helpful
Dr. Gross is the best physician I have ever had the privilege of seeing in my lifetime. I had my left hip resurfaced in 2015 and the other in January of 2019. I was 66 and 70 years of age. Because I have ostopaenia I had a conservative recovery protocol which consisted of 6 weeks on crutches followed by 4 weeks with a cane. I am currently 2 weeks from completing the cane portion. I have been pain-free since the operations and look forward to jogging again.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Gross, MD?
If you are suffering from hip pain, and want to find a great solution that will get you back 100% to all activities, I highly recommend you connect with Dr. Gross. I had my left hip resurfaced in June 2010 by Dr. Gross, and the results have been nothing short of miraculous. I ski, hike, cycle and have full activities with no pain. Some days I forget I actually have a resurfaced hip! He is the most skilled and experienced OS in hip resurfacing in North America.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Gross, MD?
Amazingly gifted surgeon. I live very near Pittsburgh known as one of the leading centers for medicine and I still would travel to SC for Dr Gross.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Gross, MD?
I had my first hip resurfacing in 2006 and the other in 2014. I was 56 and 64. Both experiences were excellent with Dr. Gross & Lee Webb. I am pain-free since the operations & have had no negative issues. I had the first hip done in the hospital and the second at their surgery center. I liked the ease of having it done at the surgery center the best. I absolutely recommend Dr. Gross. I lived 2 states away but these were my hips & I entrusted them to the BEST surgeon in the country.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Gross, MD?
Dr Gross is a physician's physician . He is dedicated to performing Hip Resurfacing. Without his skill, the alternative for me was not acceptable for my age or lifestyle I am very grateful to Dr. Gross and his staff for their care resurfacing my right hip 3 years ago and my left hip 6 weeks ago If you have the ability to see him for treatment, consider yourself very fortunate
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Gross, MD?
Dr. Gross did a hip resurfacing on me. I was back at work in two weeks with no pain and no cane or crutches. I wish I had gone to him long before I did. Five stars are not enough. He deserves at least 10 or 15! Follow up with Lee Webb is equally rated!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Gross, MD?
I had been living in pain for two years. I am now 7 weeks post op right hip resurfacing, walking over 2 miles a day, pain free! Dr. Gross, Lee Webb, Nancy and the rest of the Midlands Orthopaedic team have truly restored the quality of my life. Rosanna Milley
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Gross, MD?
Dr Gross Is meticulous in his work. He is driven by the data, by science. He and his staff are also respectful of the patient, down to earth, and good at communicating. He is very transparent about his procedures and policies, even the financial ones. Every encounter with a doctor should be like this..
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Gross, MD?
Dr. Gross re-surfaced each of my hips six weeks apart, in his outpatient center in Columbia, S.C.. I've worked in medicine as an ICU and recovery room nurse for 20+ years so I've had the opportunity to see the results of hundreds of surgeries, and to witness many of the problems that stem from orthopaedic surgery ( especially problems with mal-alignments ). Dr. Gross is the doctor's DOCTOR. Those who KNOW, go to Dr. Gross when it comes to their own operation ( 4 of us ). He's the EXPERT !!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Gross, MD?
My daughter is an Occupational and Physical Therapist and knew about hip resurfacing. She suggested the procedure because I had developed a limp and regularly had hip pain as the causation. Found Dr. Thomas Gross on the internet, learned that he was THE leader in this specialization. Sent x-rays and made all the preliminaries, then traveled about 7 or 8 hours to have outpatient surgery. It went great, can't say enough about the entire process. A very special thanks to Dr. Gross, Lee and Nancy!!!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Gross, MD?
Dr Gross, Took a great deal of time explaining operation. Operation was life changing! Best regards, Dave
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Gross, MD?
He spent a significant amount of time with me before and after my total knee replacement November 2015. He even came to the hotel to check on me before he released me after surgery. I was able to walk without crutches within the week and up to 2 miles within 10 days after my surgery. He did a great job!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Gross, MD?
Dr. Gross, his Nurse Practioner Lee Webb, are both professional and knowledgeable, willing to listen to questions/concerns, and address any items discussed. Surgery went well with no nausea experienced by me, and had well-controlled pain level.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Gross, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Gross?

Johns Hopkins Hospital
1985
Johns Hopkins University School Of Medicine
1985

Memberships & Affiliations

• International Congress for Joint Reconstruction, Member

Dr. Gross accepts

Dr. Gross accepts the following insurance:

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for South Carolina

Dr. Gross treats this condition more than 90% of his peers

Hip Resurfacing

Dr. Gross performs Hip Resurfacing more than 77% of his peers

Dr. Gross performs this procedure more than 77% of his peers

Rating Includes other areas of care:

• Birmingham Hip Resurfacing

Dr. Gross' conditions and procedures:

• Achilles Tendinitis
  • Ankylosing Spondylitis
  • Arthritis of the Elbow
  • Baker’s Cyst
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Excision of Femur or Knee
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Replacement
  • Knee Replacement Revision
  • Knee Surgery
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Lupus
  • Spina Bifida
  • Spondylosis
  • Systemic Chondromalacia
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

Check the quality of care at hospitals where Dr. Gross treats patients.

Providence Health