Dr. Thomas Ciulla, MD

Dr. Thomas Ciulla, MD

Ophthalmology | Male

THOMAS A. CIULLA, M.D. P.C. 200 W 103rd St Ste 1050, Indianapolis, IN 46290 Get Directions

Personal Bio

Dr. Ciulla is certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology and is a nationally recognized expert in retinal disease. ...Read more

Dr. Ciulla's Experience

See how Dr. Ciulla's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Ciulla

Dr. Ciulla accepts 44 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Ciulla has admitting privileges.

Dr. Ciulla's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Ciulla to family and friends
4.1
Dr. Ciulla's Performance
Greenwood, IN |
Doctor was awesome, staff was horrible rude and very unprofessional.
in Danville, IN |
I was referred to Dr. Ciulla because of a tear in my retina, later it became a partially detached retina, which required immediate surgery. He and his staff were very professional and made me feel very safe and reassured through the whole process. I pray I never have to go thru this again. Tho the exams and surgeries were painless and quick, the recovery seemed to go on forever! But with their care I came through safely and everything is back on track. Thank you to the doctor & staff!A+++++++
in Anderson, IN |
Having previously had 2 surgeries on my left eye for a torn / detached retina from an ophthalmologist in Muncie, starting 9Sep16. I sought a referral from my optometrist. Dr. Ciulla saw me in two days; along with the most thorough eye exam I've ever experienced. He actually told me "how" I was seeing at the time, and he was completely correct. Surgery was 1 week later. I cannot thank Dr. Ciulla enough for getting me in so quickly, and especially how I can now SEE! Highly recommended to anyone.
I am very grateful for my excellent result due to my eye surgery performed by Dr. Ciulla. He answered all my questions in a kind, calm manner. Dr. Ciulla and staff were reassuring and professional, and I would highly recommend him to family and friends.
in Brazil, IN |
my right t retina detached and tore in two places. In about 36 hours I had lost about 70% of my vision. The operating center was booked until 6:00 PM. Dr. Ciulla and his staff came in to do surgery on my eye. After surgery of 45 minutes to 1 hour, Dr. Ciulla told me we are 100% successful. My eye has healed and sight is as good as ever. I told Dr. Ciulla that “I thanked the Lord daily for him, his skills and for his team”. I would and do recommend Dr. Ciulla.
Dr Ciulla saved my mom's vision! He explained everything to my parents and I. His staff was friendly and efficient. It made a bad situation as good as it could be. I'd never heard of having a shot in your eye. It sounded so scary. It was so quick and virtually painless for my mom. She has since passed away, but she spoke very highly of Dr. C from the beginning. We were so lucky to be referred to such a great doctor. Thanks so much!!
in Indianapolis, IN |
Dr. Ciulla has been my eye doctor since I first visited him around August 1999. I was having trouble with my vision and did not know that I had a detached retina in my right eye. He was employed with the I.U. Medical Center and it was late in the day, near closing. He immediately performed surgery on my eye bur informed me beforehand that it may not work. It didn't and he subsequently placed a scleral buckle behind my eye. Later, the retina in my left eye detached and was repaired by laser.
in Anderson, IN |
He has zero concern for the patient's or families questions or concerns. Clearly a cattle hearder. Gave him two stars because he didn't kill my Mom. Period.
in Louisville, KY |
Another doctor performed 2 retinal operations, including an unnecessary schleral buckle, then said he couldn't help me any further and said I would never see better than the biggest E on the eye chart. Dr. Ciulla saved my sight with 2 less invasive surgeries, and now I have enough of my sight back to read with the help of glasses. Dr. Ciulla is knowledgable and has been doing retinal surgery a long time. If he recommends that you see a different specialist, then he certainly has a reason.
in Indianapolis, IN |
His only outcome measure was acuity so he will count my surgery as successful. But I still have the same problem with metamorphopsia that I had before surgery. It doesn't seem to matter to him that I can't see to do my work. I felt rushed with him and don't know if it was because he had to get back to the factory of patients or because he was uncomfortable knowing I still couldn't see.
in Columbus, IN |
Performed floater-removal surgery on both eyes for both me and my wife. Also, had to do retinal laser surgery on one of my eyes. Everything went very well. We followed all instructions and medication. Dr Ciulla was very patient with us and answered all our questions. After much research, he seemed to be the most qualified for miles around. We are every pleased and would HIGHLY recommend his services.
in Plainfield, Indiana |
Very rough while doing eye surgery. He messed up my eye muscle causing me to wear a thick lense to correct my vision. Not a good bedside manner
in Bloomington, IN |
Disappointing,pointless,treated like a waste of his time and absolutely no compassion. Wouldn't recommend him to my worst enemy!!!! He told me I needed to see a Neuro opthomoligis But didn't help with referring me to anyone. He didn't even give me a full eye exam! I will drive to another state before ever going back to him!!! Wish I could give half stars or less. Doesn't deserve a full star!
Have you seen Dr. Thomas Ciulla, MD?
Are you Dr. Ciulla?

Compare Dr. Ciulla

Dr. Ciulla says...

Dr. Ciulla says...

Through Midwest Eye Institute, Dr. Ciulla performs clinical studies in macular and retinal diseases, with particular emphasis on age-related macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy and retinal occlusions.

Dr. Ciulla's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Ophthalmology
  •  Board certified in Ophthalmology
  •  Malpractice claims in Indiana not available

Dr. Ciulla has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Indiana.

Why It Matters: Dr. Ciulla's Board Certifications

• Blind Hypotensive Eye
  • Blindness
  • Chorioretinal Scars
  • Chorioretinitis
  • Choroidal Neovascular Membranes (CNVM)
  • Corneal Diseases
  • Diabetic Macular Edema (DME)
  • Diabetic Retinopathy
  • Drooping Eyelids (Ptosis)
  • Drusen

Tufts Med School

Completed in 1996

Harvard

Graduated in 1986

Dr. Ciulla does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Ciulla and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Ophthalmology
  • Retinal Diseases
  • Vitreoretinal Disease & Surgery

• Destruction of Lesion of Retina and Choroid
  • Eye Surgery
  • Repair of Retinal Detachment or Retinal Tear
  • Vitrectomy (incl. Macular Hole Repair)
  • Vitreoretinal Surgery