Dr. Thomas Chopp, MD

Orthopedic SurgeryMaleAge 64

Orthopedic Surgery

Dr. Thomas Chopp, MD is a Orthopedic Surgery Specialist in Boise, ID and has over 38 years of experience in the medical field. Dr. Chopp has extensive experience in Shoulder & Upper Arm Surgery. He graduated from University of Minnesota Medical School in 1984. He is affiliated with medical facilities Saint Alphonsus Regional Medical Center and Treasure Valley Hospital. His office accepts new patients.

Dr. Thomas Chopp, MD

Shoulder Clinic Of Idaho

8854 W Emerald St Ste 102 Boise, ID 83704

Compare with other Orthopedic Surgery Specialists

Compare Dr. Chopp with our nearby Orthopedic Surgery Specialists at West Valley Medical Center.

Make an appointment at West Valley Medical Center today at (208) 715-8519.

Filter by
Provider Ratings

These providers are on the medical staff of West Valley Medical Center.

Dr. Chopp's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Chopp

Dr. Chopp

No nonsense. Just the facts. Knows his stuff!
Dr Chopp knows shoulders. I had osteoarthritis which is treatable with pain meds, but isn't the permanent solution. I put off replacement surgery for several years, then COVID hit and changed the ethos of many hospitals, including my favorite where knee replacement was done 7 years ago. Found Dr Chopp through my daughters business and called for an appt. Got in within the next 2 weeks! First visit was a scream (no pun intended) as he told me straight up that I could go the shot route for pain management, but ultimately I'd only be kicking the can down the road until I had a replacement. He explained the process quite thoroughly, as I had researched it online. Got surgery date set about a month later. Surgery went exactly as he said. Follow-ups were great. Did physical therapy per his instructions at home, and 4 months later, i have great range of motion and very little stiffness. Loved it when he told wife to serve me breakfast in bed for first 3 wks. Great sense of humor!
Allen C – Aug 11, 2022
Right Reverse Total Shoulder Arthroplasty
This was the 3rd time Dr Chopp performed surgery on my shoulders. I've bee pleased with the outcome of all 3 surgeries. This one was necessary because of progressing osteoarthritis and torn rotator cuff muscles. Dr Chopp and Kiira Vazales P.A.-C. are personable, easy to work with, and positive in their attitude. They are thorough in explaining processes and encouraging questions. Appointments are never hurried. Dr Chopp personally followed up by telephone a day or 2 after surgery. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this team.
Rex Lott – Aug 06, 2022
Left Reverse Total Shoulder Arthroplasty
I, Thomas Fisher, had the total shoulder Arthroplasty on 06/30/2021. I cannot believe how quickly I recovered from the surgery, after all I'm 87 years old. It was a day surgery and my recovery was complete. No more pain and full use of the shoulder/arm.
Thomas Fisher – Aug 04, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Chopp, MD?
Best shoulder surgeon ever!!!
Dr. Chopp, MD and his staff were amazing throughout my experience. Dr. Chopp, Kira P.A.-C and Sheila M.A. were attentive to my needs and concerns surrounding the scheduling, surgery itself, as well as my recovery. My husband and I winter in AZ and golf is my hobby choice in retirement. My surgery was going to be an extensive one; I had high expectations for a speedy recovery so that I could be able to golf when arriving at our AZ home for the winter. Dr. Chopp and his staff took such good care of me and the surgery was such a success. Dr. Chopp's experience and knowledge is the very reason "Everything" turned out better than I could have anticipated. I was fully recovered and golfing within 4 1/2 months and my shoulder is feeling great. Thank you Dr. Chopp and Staff!
Brenda Bell – May 31, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Chopp, MD?
Dr. Chopp and his team provided an exceptional experience throughout the entirety of my surgical process. I had previously met with another surgeon outside the Shoulder Clinic of Idaho. The prior surgeon basically made me feel like I was just another number and he couldn't get me in and out fast enough and on to the next patient. I was then referred to Dr. Chopp from a prior patient of his that had similar issues. I reached out to the Idaho Shoulder Clinic and couldn't be more pleased. Truly exceptional bedside manner and expertise from the beginning to the end. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending him to friends or family, and I will without a doubt seek him out should another shoulder surgery become necessary! Thank you Dr. Chopp.
Thomas R. – Jan 27, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Chopp, MD?
I enthusiastically recommend Dr. Chop for shoulder surgery. From my first evaluation to my pre op and then my follow ups, Dr. Chop has been most exemplary has a carrying and knowledgeable surgeon. My rotator cuff surgery was extensive and has given me better use of my shoulder with less pain than I’ve known for over ten years. The staff at The Shoulder Clinic have also been wonderful.
Rick V from Boise – Dec 10, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Chopp, MD?
I liked Dr. Chopp a lot. He was the only doctor who didn't think I needed surgery. The only thing I disliked A LOT was his receptionist who make a point of always having her breasts hanging out...so unprofessional and something you certainly don't expect in a professional setting. I asked his nurse why he would be accepting of that, and she said she didn't know but didn't like it either.
  • Staff wasn't friendly
Sharon Jarrett – Aug 12, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Chopp, MD?
Dr. Chopp was thorough in his explanation of the nature of the injury I had in my shoulder and my options. He and his team worked diligently to schedule my procedures around certain time constraints that I had - they made it happen! When surgery was done, Dr. Chopp was also very thorough in explaining pictures of what was done and what I could expect in recovery. In addition to feeling well served, he and his team are nice folks too! A great outcome.
Paul – Jun 21, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Chopp, MD?
Dr. Chopp is the best shoulder surgeon in the country, and I think, probably the best in the world! I know this sounds far fetched, but he did two shoulder replacements on me, and they turned out super! I have been and would recommend him to anyone needing a shoulder Dr.
John Birkmaier – May 14, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Chopp, MD?
Fixed my shoulder up and I was back to work within days. Great Doctor and his staff is great!
Apr 23, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Chopp, MD?
You get the whole package with Dr. Chopp! He is very knowledgeable and has an incredible bedside manner. I have never had a better surgical experience and outcome. His staff is very welcoming and organized. The surgical team was the best. Dr. Chopp has given me a pain free shoulder. If you are considering shoulder replacement, don't put it off.
MARGO E MOJICA – Apr 23, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Chopp, MD?
I came to Dr. Chopp with severe pain in right shoulder, and from day one was given my options and had all options thoroughly explained. I ended up having my shoulder replaced and couldn’t be more thrilled to have my right arm back and pain free. He walked me through the surgery with compassion and my healing has excelled due to his encouragement to follow through with his exercises. I would HIGHLY recommend Dr. Chopp and his medical staff are first rate. Thank You for exceeding my expectations! Kris Case
Kris Case...Boise, Id. – Feb 10, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Chopp, MD?
Dr. Chopp (best name ever for a surgeon!) was awesome. He has a real desire to find out the cause of pain and is genuinely interested in fixing what is broken. As a Veteran dealing with the insanity of the VA and all the unnecessary hoops and loops e have to go through, Dr. Chopp,s no nonsense approach to fixing what the Army broke, and the VA refused to fix, was not only refreshing but was a miracle in its self. He works with an amazing staff and they do their best to answer questions as quickly as possible.
  • Appointment was rushed
Jan 05, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Chopp, MD?
Diagnosed shoulder injury, tried injections before recommending surgery. Explained procedures necessary and what to expect after surgery. Very competent, friendly and professional. Would go to him again but hope I don’t have too.
Oct 15, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Chopp, MD?
Dr. Chopp performed corrective surgery to my right shoulder and I am very pleased with the outcome. He and his staff are very courteous and professional and I highly recommend Dr. Chopp regarding shoulder care!
Rich Reed – Aug 21, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Chopp, MD?
Everything was explained very well, the entire staff was helpfull and understanding.The dr.was the best! I would recommend Dr. Chopp to all that asked.
Jul 10, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Chopp, MD?
Dr. Chopp is the best. The first time I went in, he made sure that I understood everything that was going on with my shoulder and offered choices and recommendations for my pain. He was very professional and at the same time cared about getting me fixed. Surgery was done really well and all the follow up appts really gave me a sense of relief knowing that he cared about my progression.
Jody Martinez – Apr 16, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Chopp, MD?
I am recently recovering from my 2nd shoulder surgery with Dr. Chopp. (Had my left one done 2 years ago). It is impossible to say enough GREAT THINGS about Dr. Chopp & his staff. From pre-op, through surgery & post-op care, there was nothing but intelligent, informative, precise, professional, excellent care, including Dr. Chopp personally following up with me multiple times in the early days following my surgery. His education, experience & concern were received with much respect. If you're in need of shoulder surgery, go NOWHERE ELSE. See Dr. Chopp. I'm throwing a ball again, for the first time in 30 years! Thank you Dr. Chopp & staff!
jeff miller – Apr 12, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Chopp, MD?
Dr..Chopp , Kira PA-C and all his staff at The Shoulder Clinic of Idaho are exceptional. I had a Total Reverse Shoulder Replacement the last of October and now I am up on my crutches (I am an amputee ) and getting back to life. Dr. Chopp took all the time at each meeting to go over all my questions and explain everything. When the day of surgery came there were no surprises and my surgery went well. Life would be easier if all doctors were like Dr. Chopp. If you need shoulder work see him. I promise you will not be sorry
Rene Gunari – Mar 06, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Chopp, MD?
The day of my surgery, Dr. Chopp took the time to describe to my wife, as much as he could at the time, the procedure he was going to perform on my shoulder, and it was reassuring to her. That was a very important thing to me. I am now nearly 5 months along. I just had my last visit and have my instructions for the next 6 weeks before no limitations. I am still healing. There is still a road ahead to be 100%. The thing about shoulder surgery I have found, is the recovery and rehabilitation is largely up to the patient. No one goes home with you. Dr. Chopp and his team have always been available when questions arose. No matter whether it was after hours. The care and support I have received have been great. When I had to go for an appointment, I always felt like I was treated as though I was the only patient on the schedule. Great people and a great experience. Thank you Dr. Chopp, Kira and Sheila.
Doug Reinke – Feb 29, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Thomas Chopp, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Chopp?