Dr. Thomas Carter, MD

Dr. Thomas Carter, MD

Orthopedic Surgery  |
Dr. Thomas Carter, MD is an orthopedic surgery doctor who practices in Phoenix, AZ. He is 60 years old and has been practicing for 34 years. Read his story

2222 E Highland Ave Ste 300

Phoenix, AZ 85016

Learn about Dr. Carter

See how frequently Dr. Carter performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Sprains and Strains (incl. Muscle Tear)
Knee Dislocation
high
Joint Pain

Dr. Carter's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Carter's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Carter "Dr. Carter is an expert in the field of orthopedic surgery and sports medicine. Since 2000, he has been the head team physician for the Phoenix Suns (NBA) and has served as the head of orthopedic surgery at Arizona State University for 14 years. Dr. Carter has also served as a member of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons Sports Medicine Subcommittee, and a member of several committees for the Arthroscopic Association of North America. He has served as the state representative for the American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine. Dr. Carter has published numerous articles pertaining to orthopedic and sports medicine topics and has given presentations world wide. He was also awarded a patent for arthroscopic surgical instruments. Dr. Carter is considered a national authority on the topics of meniscal allografts and articular cartilage. He is also a member of the Herodicus Society which is considered the premier organization for Sports Medicine Orthopedic Surgeons with just over 100 members world wide."

This content was provided by Dr. Carter "RECOVERY. RESULTS. RELIEF. "

• Sports Medicine

• Broken Arm
  • Coccygeal Pain
  • Elbow Bursitis
  • Elbow Sprain
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Foot Fracture
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL) Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Sprain

• Myofascial Trigger Point Injection
  • Neuroplasty
  • Shoulder Fracture Treatment
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Arizona.

• Univ Of Pittsburgh Sch Of Med
  • Jackson Hole Orthopaedics/Sports Injuries
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1989
  • U Western Ontario
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1988

Dr. Carter has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Carter does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Carter and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Carter's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Carter to family and friends
4.5
Dr. Carter's Performance
in Goodyear, AZ |
Dr. Carter is truly a talented surgeon. He has passion for his practice. In today’s day in age it’s very comforting to come across talent as well as compassion. His office visits were very in depth spent adequate time explaining the procedures in detail I truly feel like he treats his patients as individuals.
in Chandler, AZ |
Dr. Carter explained the procedure in great detail and answered all my questions. The surgery was a non-event for me. I'd consulted five surgeons before deciding on Dr. Carter.
in Phoenix, AZ |
I like Dr.Carter, he's straight forward and shoots from the hip. Not only does he present the facts that about your condition, but he also listens to how one would like to go about a treatment plan that benefits both his and his patients final goal. An excellent physician!
in AZ |
Doctor Carter is the absolute best doctor I have ever had. Not only is he talented and wise regarding diagnoses, treatment, and surgeries, he also genuinely cares about your well-being and future. No one is just another job for him, and he will always think about what's best for you overall, taking the least extreme (but still the best) option as possible. I trust his decisions entirely. I never feel the need to question what he decides, which is something I've never experienced from another Doc
in Phoenix, AZ |
I have worked with Dr Carter in the past and he did a great job and I trust him. I would highly recommend Dr Carter to family and friends.
in Anthem, AZ |
I met Dr Carter through enrollmentvin the Sun Trial. I have been nothing but impressed by his bedside manner, upfront and honest personality, and ofcourse his impeccable surgical ability. I have a new lease on an active life because of the crossing of our paths.
in Gilbert, AZ |
Dr. Carter takes the time to understand his patients needs. He educates them and makes you feel comfortable and confident you have all the information you need to make the correct decision.
in Phoenix, AZ |
Dr. Carter has definitely earned his place as the top orthopedic surgeon! He is the most caring, compassionate and understanding doctor. I am so thankful to have him as my doctor. I feel confident he will help me to a full recovery!
New York, NY |
Have seen Dr. Carter for several years. He is the best. Takes very good care of patients.
in Phoenix, AZ |
Dr Carter is caring & efficient. He knows what he is doing & has loads of experience. I'm 69 & have seen him before & will go again if I need another ortho appointment
Phoenix, AZ |
Dr. Carter is very caring and highly skilled. He takes time to talk to the patient to determine the best treatment plan. Highly recommended.
in Mesa, AZ |
Very intelligent, informative doctor. He explains things very well. I highly recommend him.
in Phoenix, AZ |
I met with Dr. Carter about a knee injury. He was very attentive and knowledgeable and extremely personable!
in Chandler AZ |
While Dr. Tom Carter IS the best, I can't say the same about the billing department. They were rude and obnoxious on the phone, treating me like I was a criminal. That department definitely needs professional attention; otherwise, this survey would have received 5 stars, if not for them.
Tempe, AZ |
Dr. Carter has taken care of my orthopedic needs for over 20 years. His manner is a bit quirky, but I have always found him to be kind, listen well and be very responsive to my concerns. He is an outstanding surgeon. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him.
Misdiagnosed my son and dismissed MRI results, which caused him to have to have a serious surgery from a different surgeon.
in Phoenix, AZ |
I took my mom for a visit to Dr. Carter since I had previously used TOCA (not this doctor) and I was happy with their service in the past. He spent very little time with her to understand the issue and also to recommend options. His staff made a mistake and took X-Ray of the wrong knee which I highlighted on my way out and they didn't charge me for it. I just received a bill in the mail to pay for their mistake and after the follow up they mentioned they took the X-Ray for comparison purposes !!
in Phoenix, AZ |
Dr Carter expand my knee issue and his treatment plan. He is very professional.
Phoenix, AZ |
At 25 years old all orthopedists I have seen, all told me I would need a full knee replacement after an accident I had. Dr. Carter is the only doctor who said not yet and replaced all my ligaments. I'm very thankful to have such a great doctor and he also did a wonderful job after my surgery!
in Scottsdale, AZ |
He was very short with me during my meeting. He examined my right knee only for a very short brief period. He never asked me where the pain was coming from or did any investigating. My first doctor after reviewing MRI said I will need surgery. I have never had so much pain in my life. My concern comes in that I want to play rec sports 100% again. He basically said wear this brace I give you and come back in 3 weeks. The appointment was today. I'll update after my next visit. Treated poorly.
Have you seen Dr. Thomas Carter, MD?
Are you Dr. Carter?

See our Orthopedic Surgery Specialists at Dignity Health - St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center

Visit Dr. Carter