Dr. Thierry Hufnagel, MD

Dr. Thierry Hufnagel, MD

Ophthalmology  |

Dr. Hufnagel is a cornea-trained, board-certified ophthalmologist. He is a graduate of UCLA, Yale and Johns Hopkins Universities. Dr. Hufnagel has been recognized as a VISX STAR, an award granted only to the leading excimer laser surgeons in the United States. Dr. Hufnagel has participated in an FDA-sponsored investigation for LASIK surgery. His pioneering involvement with excimer lasers dates back to 1987 with published studies on the pathological aspects of laser surgery applied to the cornea. To date, he has performed several thousand laser vision correction procedures and tailors all surgeries to each patient’s individual needs. He is an instructor in IntraLASE™ bladeless LASIK surgical technique and actively teaches LASIK to other surgeons. After getting to know Dr. Marc Werner, we thought you might want to meet Dr. Thierry Hufnagel. If you still have questions for Dr. Hufnagel, like his opinions on the iFS laser or what his Ben and Jerry’s ice cream flavor would be, let us know in the comments below. Where are you originally from? I hail from Paris (France, not Texas!) What is your favorite memory from your years at Johns Hopkins? My fondest memory about Hopkins? People were referred there from all over the world for advice and treatment. I once examined this very famous Chicago lawyer who came in for cataract surgery. He was referred to me by my mentor, Dr. Walter Stark. After the lawyer came in for surgery, I told Dr. Stark that I thought he shouldn’t operate on the patient. I didn’t think that patient had a cataract! After further testing, we found that the patient’s visual loss was actually from a brain tumor, not a cataract. From that day on, they all thought I was pretty smart…very funny! How many years have you been practicing laser surgery? I opened my first LASIK center in New York City at the Trump Tower in 1995 called Insight Vision. What made you pick ophthalmology, particularly LASIK, as a specialty? When you ask patients about LASIK, most of them will tell you it’s the best thing they ever did! Not getting married, not having children, but having LASIK done! Lots of people see their need for glasses or contacts as a serious disability. Providing people with the gift of sight is very rewarding. My first rotation in medical school was in a hospice with end-of-life cancer patients. I couldn’t do anything to help except pushing the morphine. I felt pretty useless. I looked for the field where I thought I could be the most helpful. Obstetrics and bringing babies to life or ophthalmology and providing the gift of sight were the two options I looked into. Then by chance, I landed in the eye business, not the maternity ward! Where do you teach LASIK to other surgeons? We do all of the teaching in our office where we have a state-of-the-art facility. Your favorite thing about New York? Melting pot, for sure.

Stahl Eyecare Experts

450 Endo Blvd

Garden City, NY 11530

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of Louisiana
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
  • Capital District Physician's Health Plan (CDPHP)
  • EmblemHealth
  • Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
  • Health Net
  • HealthFirst
  • Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield

Learn about Dr. Hufnagel

STAHL EYECARE EXPERTS HAS BEEN A TRUSTED EYE CARE CENTER IN THE LONG ISLAND AREA FOR MORE THAN FOUR DECADES. OUR YALE, HARVARD AND JOHNS HOPKINS TRAINED EYE SURGEONS HAVE BEEN PERFORMING REFRACTIVE SURGERY SINCE 1981, AND HAVE PERFORMED MORE THAN 40,000 LASIK PROCEDURES.

Dr. Hufnagel's Experience

Dr. Hufnagel's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Ophthalmology

• Ocular Surface Reconstruction
  • Pterygium Surgery
  • Retinal Testing
  • Soft Contact Lenses

No malpractice history found for New York.

• Universite De Paris
  • Jules Stein Eye Insitute, UCLA
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1984
  • Wilmer Eye Inst-Johns Hopkins U
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1992

Dr. Hufnagel has no media or publications listed.

• French

Dr. Hufnagel does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Hufnagel and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Hufnagel's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Hufnagel to family and friends
Dr. Hufnagel Says:

Thank you, for taking the time and share in our story.

Dr. Hufnagel's Performance
in New York, NY |
I was getting massive migraines from wearing glasses & going slowly blind The va did not care. My insurance did not cover it I paid out of pocket It has been worth every single penny Dr Huffnagel was very understanding & his surgery has been outstanding
in Brooklyn, NY |
Dr. Hufnagel is an expert in his field. He has a unique way of making one feel well assured of receiving quality health care for the eye so. If some is wrong, strives and develop a plan of action to solve your problem. He is concerned about your total health as it relates to your eyes. He does not rush, but gives you a complete examination. His focus is to make a difference in your eyes. At one time My family relocated to Fl, but we came back to Ny for service. Now we are back in NY. See him.
in SEAFORD |
I had PRK w/ Dr H 19 years ago. A real life changer and one of the best things I've ever done. I just went back for an exam and got the most thorough eye exam there is and I still have 20/20 vision! Amazing. He thought I might have dry eyes but tested and said no, really the only issue was that I was using the wrong strength readers. So impressed as usual. My husband just made an appt w/ him after years of going to a glasses type place. 5+ stars!
Long Beach, NY |
I highly recommend DR Hufnagel. I recently had PRK surgery with him. My contact lens prescription was -9 and -8.5. I now have 20/ 20 vision. Three days after your eyes will feel sandy, burning and extremely sensitive to light. The 4th day much better. I do not recommend going to work until the 4th day. You'll need to make the font on your phone and computer very large for 2 -3 weeks but you can definitely get around without glasses.
in New York |
Five stars all around for Dr. Hufnagel. Had LASIK Nov 2015 and can't wait for my son to have the surgery hopefully in a few months.
Have you seen Dr. Thierry Hufnagel, MD?

Visit Dr. Hufnagel

Evening
Saturday
Dr. Hufnagel accepts 21 insurance carriers
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Louisiana
    BlueConnect HMO
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
    Preferred Blue PPO
  • Capital District Physician's Health Plan (CDPHP)
    Capital District Physician's Health Plan (CDPHP) HMO
    Emblem Health
    Health Insurance Plan of Greater New York (HIP) PPO
  • Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield
    Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield HMO
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA
  • Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield
    Community Blue PPO
  • Locals (any local)
  • MagnaCare
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • Oxford Health Plans