Dr. Teck-Mun Soo, MD

Dr. Teck-Mun Soo, MD

Neurosurgery | Male

Michigan Spine and Brain Surgeons 22250 Providence Dr Ste 601, Southfield, MI 48075 Get Directions

I believe that surgery is the last resort for the treatment of spinal disorders, especially when fusion is required. I believe working with the patient's preference, lifestyle and the involvement of the family in the decision making process. My specialty is in complex spine surgery, our niche: extensive spinal revision for previous failed spine surgery. My double specialist degree in General Surgery and Neurosurgery had provided me with extensive clinical and technical skills.Read more

Personal Bio

Board Certified in NeurosurgeryDiplomate of the American Board of Neurosurgery Chief of Neurosurgery, Providence Hospital and Medical Centers Clinical...Read more

Dr. Soo's Experience

See how Dr. Soo's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Soo

Dr. Soo accepts 9 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 3 hospitals where Dr. Soo has admitting privileges.

Dr. Soo's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Soo to family and friends
Dr. Soo's Performance
in Madison Ferndale , MI |
Dr.Teck-Mun Soo, MD is an excellent Neurosurgeon. But additionally as a person as well. His no nonsense and direct approach was refreshing. He and his staff explained everything that they would do and what all my options were. All of my questions where answered no matter how pedestrian they might have been. Due to my severe cervical radiculopathy, Dr. Soo made room for me in his busy schedule to perform my needed ACDF surgery. I felt that in every step of the procedure I was in the best of hands
Lansing, MI |
This man is the single man who saved her life. When everyone said to give up hope, he told us not to so we didn't. My mother is still alive today because of him!
in West Bloomfield, MI |
I was miserable for two years. I could not sleep unless I was lying flat for over an hour. I took vacations 3 times and they were the worst times of my life. Especially sitting on a plane. Eventually my friends had to push me in a wheelchair. I couldnt stand or sit for long periods of time. I was really frustrated with everything including my job and family. I was always in a bad mood. Thanks to Dr. Soo, I am a new man. 100% better after surgery. Happy all over again and enjoying Life
in South Lyon, MI |
I had a Tri-level decompression and fusion on the C5, C6 and C7 disc in my neck. Dr Soo did the procedure with ease and I had hardly any pain following the surgery. He is passionate and professional. As a result of my surgery and the success of it, I proclaim Dr Tek-Mun Soo Day each February 15th. I could hardly stand straight before my surgery, now I can! Thank You!
in Howell, MI |
Dr. Teck-Mun. Soo performed an SI Joint Fusion on my Right SI Joint March 1, 2017. Dr. Soo was the the Doctor that correctly diagnosed my injury when previous first Opinion was that Stenosis in my lower lumbar region was the case of my pain. Dr. Soo and His Team performed this Surgery and I am now home and recovering. I highly recommend Dr. Soo for Neurological evaluation and any necessary surgery you may need
Livonia, MI |
Dr. Soo is wonderful doctor who takes as much time as you need to explain your condition. He will not rush into performing surgery.
in Pinckney, MI |
Dr. Teck-Mun M. Soo is a gifted neurosurgeon at Providence Hospital. I would highly recommend him for any spinal surgery. His 30 years of excellent experience has provided me with remarkable results. I went to three other neurosurgeons only to be disappointed. After four years of suffering a friend of mine recommended Dr. Soo. My first appointment I saw a confident Dr. who knew what to do. My results have been excellent better than I had hoped for.
Milford, MI |
Dr. Soo fused my husband's lower spine, L5/S1. Most physicians would not even attempt this surgery due to the degree of difficulty involved. My husband has osteoporosis which makes his bones soft. The procedure, methods and devices that Dr. Soo himself developed made it possible for this surgery to be successfully done on my husband. He is now six months post-op and essentially pain-free. This surgery has given him a new lease on life and restored his confidence that, at 73 there is a lot more l
in Northville, MI |
I John Cunningham, have searched for the top neurosurgeon and by the grace of God was lead to Dr. Teck Soo. He did spinal surgery and after 2 yrs. of not being able to walk without losing my balance, Dr. Soo performed a miracle with the hands God gave to him. Please contact him with your special needs. He is truly a genuine helper to mankind!
in Detroit, MI |
OMG! When I say this man is a God Send. I mean it 100%. I was in a car accident in 2016 which resulted in me needing back surgery. Before surgery, I couldn't walk upright & I had severe nerve pain shooting down my left leg. I was sent to get an epidural from another doctor 1st & that didn't work then I was referred to Teck -Mun Soo. He fixed my up. I am in my 4th month recovering & I'm doing well. He has the best bed side manner. He's very personable. I'd recommend him to EVERYONE!!!!!
in Walled Lake, MI |
Dr Soo is an amazing neurosurgeon. Thanks to him my husband is Not in a wheel chair. This is a physician who is an expert in his field & will move mountains to help you. After meeting with several neurosurgeons Dr Soo knew what type of surgery my husband needed & was willing to sacrifice his family time to make sure he got the care he needed. He did an anterior & posteior fushion with a corpectomy. My husband was able to walk the day after surgery. I would recommend him to everyone.
Farmington, MI |
Dr. SOO is simply the "BEST" Neurosurgeon in History! I love his personality and his funny and excellent bedside manners and his personal time and consultation that he provides at every appt. He also have a great team of staff members. He performed my back surgery 11//23/14 and it was a great success. I healed quickly, and did not have to go to PT and I returned to work within 5-6 weeks after surgery. I have been doing well since the surgery. Thank you Dr. Soo for a job well done!
in Madison Heights, MI |
I was going to numerous Dr.'s over the past year with none of them figuring out my problem. Dr. Soo diagnosed it immediately and went to work to correct my constant pain and partial paralysis.
in Livonia, MI |
Simply the BEST. Dr. Soo has performed 3 fusion surgeries on my back in 2006,2010 and most recent in 2017 due to two car accidents and a fall. I was very impressed with the results all three times. The confidence he displays while he explains the procedure made feel at ease and ready to have surgery, Dr. Soo would say"Can you live with it?"( meaning the pain.) "Let me know when you are ready" We have a great time at appointments . He is a great listener, funny guy ,and the Best!
in Detroit, MI |
I was fed up with pain limiting my life and knew I had to make a change. Thank heaven I made that appointment. Once there he explained what needed to be done. He didn’t sugar coat my condition but he assured me he could make it better. I agreed and he performed an 8 hr surgery on my back. After 5 months, while still healing, I feel 99% better. He and his staff do all they can to make you comfortable before and especially after surgery. He is a very honest, caring and highly skilled surgeon.
in Brighton, MI |
I love that he is straight forward when he talks to you about your treatment options. I love his humor, I would highly recommend him to anyone.
in Farmington, MI |
I was bleesd to have Dr. Soo to be my surgent. Dr. Soo, is best in my book. Thank you so much for taking me as your patiente. Much respect for Dr.
in novi, MI |
if you need a doctor you can trust i highly suggest dr.soo
in Wyandotte, MI |
After having been denied surgery by several surgeons, my husband was referred to Dr. Soo. He evaluated his condition, agreed to perform surgery and explained the procedure and what could be expected. The surgery and recovery have been as explained, and the results are life changing. Dr Soo is caring, compassionate, communicates well, and has a great sense of humor. He is invested in his patients and in the staff he is training. For complex surgeries especially, he is the best in the area!
Maumee, OH |
The office is very busy so getting ahold of Dr. Soo is a task. Overall I think he is a great doctor and is very good at what he does! God forbid I have any other back issues later on in life but if I do I will definitely be seeing Dr. Soo again!
in Howell, MI |
Dr. Soo did an excellent job on correcting the poor work that some of the supposedly big names in SE Michigan neurosurgery had done to me. My experience with some of these "superstars" was that good or bad, after the cutting was done you were just a file. Even minor concerns such as a pinched spinal cord after a fusion were dismissed and I was treated like a whiner or drug seeker. Dr. Soo was extremely thorough, careful and very good at discussing/deciding treatment. Can't say enough good things
in Allen Park, MI |
Dr. Soo was incredible throughout the entire process, from beginning to end. He looked at the imaging and knew right away what he had to do. He has a wonderful personality, is a genius and has the hands of an angel ! Everything went just as he said. The time frame, etc., etc. I feel much better now, even after only 3 days after surgery. Dr. Soo even called me at home to see how I was feeling , a day after I was discharged. Dr. Soo is a very gifted and compassionate man.
in Brownstown Charter Townsh |
Lumbar tumor. Surgery. Dr. Soo saw my problem identified and gave a quick and direct solution. Asking: Can I live with the problem? My answer was no so surgery was the way to go. The office worked with me for surgery plans and my work medical paperwork so that I felt comfortable. Worked out well.
in Waterford, MI |
You don't get no better doctor than dr. Soo you took me in for an emergency surgery didn't even know him then I had more complications he was on vacation he answered the phone to get the question answer in the middle of the night this guy rocks thanks dr. Soo
Howell, MI |
Overall experience was positive. Bedside manner was straightforward and pulls no punches, but a great sense of humor. Listen to his instructions prior to and after surgery and follow them to the letter. I had a fusion and laminectomy and was instructed to walk as much as possible after the surgery. I was walking right after surgery 3 times a day, every day and pushed myself and the results have been outstanding.
in Macomb, MI |
Even though Dr. Soo has a very busy office it is well worth the time. He is straight forward and not quick to do surgery if its not absolutely necessary which I can appreciate. He has a good sense of humor, is knowledgeable and confident in his abilities which puts you at ease. I would recommend him to anyone who has a spinal injury, a problem with a previous spinal surgery or someone who just needs advice on a spinal issue to determine whether surgery is even necessary.
in Bruce Township, MI |
I had never understood the chronic pain until experiencing it 24/7 in my cervical spine. Dr. Teck Soo through his gifted hands alleviated my pain almost immediately after he performed surgery to remove bone spurs due to arthritis. By day two post surgery, my range of motion returned which had been almost nonexistent without pain prior to Dr. Soo's incredible knowledge. He had seen the spurs on my MRI. He explained and used the posterior approach to correct my problem. He is HIGHLY recommended!
in Plymouth, Mi. |
Dr. Soo is the best! He reads the MRI better than the Radiologist that sends the report. He is funny and yet caring. After a very major surgery he even called me at home to see how I was doing. My only criticism is that you always wait an hour or two before you get to see him.
in Northville, MI |
Dr. Soo is a straightforward, brilliant, and pleasing neurosurgeon! I was diagnosed with Cervical Stenosis with Myelopathy. I am over 80 years old, and I was afraid of the risks involved with surgery. I had tried every form of conservative treatment for over a year with no relief. Dr. Soo studied my case and warned me about the risk of delaying surgery. He performed a Posterior Cervical Decompression and Fusion (C3 to T1). 4 months later, the surgery eliminated my pain and any risk of paralysis.
in Canton, MI |
I have been seeing Dr. Teck Soo for many years. I find Dr. Soo to be a very knowledgeable, professional, caring and kind doctor. Dr. Soo has performed 8 spinal surgeries on me and all successfully. I would recommend Dr. Soo to anyone with back problems. He diagnosed me when no one else could after a year of seeing specialist after specialist. I trust Dr. Soo's opinion above any other doctor's opinion. Thank you Dr. Soo for making my quality of life the very best! I recommend you to everyone.
in Northville, MI |
Dr. Soo is a skilled, straight-forward, knowledgeable surgeon who demonstrates common sense & expert practices. His training of Neurological students brings extra knowledge, insight & perspectives to any medical condition. My rating comes as a result of ER/mandatory surgery where I had less than 24 hours to evaluate his skills in spite of my active working presence within health care.
in West Bloomfield, MI |
My husband has undergone 6 back surgeries, each difficult, complex and out of the box. After the first two surgeries by another neurosurgeon failed, Dr. Soo has used his considerable experise to put my husband back together. He understands quality of life, he is compassionate and kind...has called us out of the blue to check on my husband, seen us in his office at 8 o'clock at night on an emergency basis and scheduled emergency surgery in less than 24 hours. He is simply the best.
in Livonia, MI |
First - He immediately spotted the problem another doctor had missed. He was straightforward and explained my problem to me clearly. They scheduled my surgery quickly and he did a great job. I had a Cervical Laminectomy on C3 through C7 and Fusion from C2 to T1. I had no complications at all during surgery or following it. The surgery was 9 months ago and I'm feeling very good.
in Canton, MI |
Dr Soo is an excellent doctor. I would give him 10 stars!! He explains things before and after. He did a surgery on my neck and 2 back operations. He is very thorough.I am 70 years old and I can walk again. After surgery he called me at home and asked how I was doing. He cares about people. His office is also very good.If you want the very best, Dr. Soo is the one.You cannot do any better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you Doctor, I am very blessed to have you.
Sterling Heights, MI |
My Health Specialist recommended Dr. Soo a number of years ago but it's not easy to jump into neck surgery. So I tried every type of relief. Dr. Soo suggested that he perform a laminectomy on my cervical spine. I was pain free in a couple of days and my muscle tension released in a couple of weeks. I played golf 6 weeks later, resumed wake boarding, water skiing and pickle ball. I am 64 years old and will now be able to stay healthy through sports thanks to Dr. Soo.
in Commerce Twp. , MI |
Dr. Soo is the only spine surgeon to whom I will refer my family and friends. Both my husband and I have experienced his expertise. A few years ago, Dr. Soo diagnosed me with a life-threatening bacterial infection in my back when others dismissed the problem. He literally saved my life. My husband has had three surgeries-lumbar fusions-which have succeeded in a more pain-free quality of life. Obviously, I cannot say enough about the quality of care from Dr. Soo.
in Dearborn, Michigan |
Hey Dr. Soo it's Michael Hazime, I told you I was gonna leave you a review did I not? I stick to my word lol. Anyways, Dr.Soo is a great doctor to go too. He will take care of you, he has a great sense of humor and I would recommend any of my family or friends who have a problem with their back to go straight to Dr. Soo. He is the definition of a caring and friendly Doctor that knows exactly what he's doing. My back feels great now, I highly recommend Dr. Soo. Awesome guy, awesome Doctor.
in West Bloomfield, MI |
Dr Soo has operated on two areas of my spine in the past two years. The results have so far been excellent. He is very skilled. He and his staff give good explanations of what to expect with each procedure and how the recovery is to be handled. Individual time is devoted to each patient. Questions asked are answered as truthfully as possible.
in Warren Michigan |
Dr. Soo is a very honest and straight forward surgeon. He will tell you what is wrong and what needs to be done to fix it. I had my SI Joint fused in 2012 and L2-L4 fused Sept 2016. I visited him again yesterday for back pain in a different area than the previous surgeries. He shared his interpretation of my MRI, explained there was no imminent danger and that I should wait until or if things get more painful. I left feeling assured that I was not causing any additional damage to my back!
in Brighton, MI |
Great Doctor. He corrected a dangerous spinal condition and I can give him the highest possible ratings as a Surgeon, for his bedside manner, follow up, professionalism, billing and administrative staff, and in every import metric that I could imagine. Excellent.
in Novi, MI |
I went to Dr. Soo 5/19/16 in excruciating pain. Could barely walk, loss of reflex in right ankle,extreme weakness in right leg. Dr. Soo looked at my MRI and immediately scheduled me for surgery 6/3. This man is a miracle worker! I am now walking pain free with the small exception of the area where my new hardware went in. That's nothing! Still have several months of restrictions ahead of me - no bending, lifting over 5 pounds or twisting - small price to pay for no pain. Love this man!
in Livonia, MI |
Dr. Soo is wonderful! He truly believes surgery is the last resort and is completely honest with you , explaining your test results and options. I'm an Occupational Therapist and I know he cleans up many of the surgeries other spine specialists have performed with bad results. I was scheduled for a 5 level fusion and saw Dr. Soo for another opinion. Thank God I did. He told me I didn't need surgery and here I sm a year later doing fine! He has a great sense of humor and is very compassionate!
in Grass Lake, MI |
I went to Dr. Soo with 2 herniated discs in my neck. I had been in constant pain for almost a year. Dr. Soo recommended a disc replacement procedure. It was incredible how well it worked. I had the 2 discs replaced on Wednesday and went back to work full time on Monday. I have been pain free for over a year now. My only regret is that I didn't go to Dr. Soo sooner.
in Royal Oak, MI |
I am 1 month into a 6 month recovery and I have none of the debilitating pain which compelled me to get the surgery. I have relief from fractures, a significant vertebrae slippage, and a disc that was basically missing. This was my first back surgery, and I am fortunate to have gotten it done by Teck Mun Soo. I experienced a minimally invasive procedure where he accomplished much. He engaged me to instill confidence & made me know my challenging condition would get its special attention.
Vinton, VA |
bad bad doctor
in Livingston County, MI |
I had my L4 L5 laminectomy Fusion done 32 days ago. I have been walking for weeks without pain. I can walk for a full hour at the gym and will work up to walking five miles here shortly. I feel real good. I have not been able to hold myself together in 3 to 4 years. Standing walking Etc was very painful. Although I must take it easy and not lift or bend much, I am much happier that I can just simply walk without pain. I'm looking forward to my life returning back to normal over the months ahead.
in Livingston County, MI |
Dr. Soo time with me when others wouldn't. The explanation of the procedure was easy to understand and I knew it was time to have the surgery. I can now walk without pain my toes Face Forward and my digestion has improved as well!
in Southfield, MI |
Outstanding surgeon. I first met Dr. Soo when he operated on my younger son, who was in a car accident. Not knowing anything about Dr. Soo, I kept asking my son Are you sure he's a good doctor?. I now know he had the very best. Surgery was a complete success. Dr. Soo is an exceptional, gifted and confident neurosurgeon. He is very compassionate and cares about his patients. He will take the time to explain everything to you and answer your questions. I would highly recommend him to anyone.
Dr. Soo performed lower back surgery on my wife in November of 2016 in which he successfully completed three fusions on discs that were severely herniated and/or degenerated which had resulted in extreme pain and loss of strength in her legs. Because the surgery was done with minimally invasive methods, she healed quickly and was immediately almost pain free. She was able to resume playing golf in six months. I strongly recommend Dr. Soo.
in Sterling Heights, MI |
Within a year span, my father had over 20 ER visits due to his excruciating neck/back pain. He was sleeping an hour or two a night and was living a life of misery. We saw over 5 Neurosurgeons and not one of them could narrow down the issue. Finally, after visiting Dr Soo, within minutes he identified the problem from the MRI. His procedure was March 8th and today he is 100% PAIN FREE! My father describes him as one of Gods servants on earth. Overall phenomenal experience! Thank you Dr Soo!
Have you seen Dr. Teck-Mun Soo, MD?
Are you Dr. Soo?

Compare Dr. Soo

Dr. Soo says...

Board Certified in NeurosurgeryDiplomate of the American Board of Neurosurgery

• Chief of Neurosurgery, Providence Hospital and Medical Centers
  • Clinical Director, Complex Spine Surgery Van Elslander Neurosciences Institute
  • Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Osteopathic Surgical Specialties, Michigan State University, College of Osteopathic Medicine
  • Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Neurological surgery, Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
  • Dr. Soo was elected one of the top doctors in Detroit by the Detroit Hour magazine from 2003-present

Dr. Soo's Care Philosophy

Dr. Soo's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Neurosurgery
  •  Board certified in Neurosurgery
  •  Malpractice claims in Michigan not available

Dr. Soo has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Michigan.

Why It Matters: Dr. Soo's Board Certifications

• Brain Tumor
  • Broken Neck
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease

Completed in 1998

University of Dublin / Trinity College / School of Physic

• Cantonese
  • Mandarin

Dr. Soo does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Soo and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Neurosurgery

• Craniectomy, Craniotomy, Surgery of Skull Base, Neuroendoscopy
  • Disc Replacement
  • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
  • Epidural Lysis of Adhesions (LOA)
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Laminectomy