Dr. Teck-Mun Soo, MD

Neurosurgery | Male

Michigan Spine and Brain Surgeons 22250 Providence Dr Ste 601 Southfield, MI 48075 Get Directions
Dr. Teck-Mun Soo, MD

Board Certified in NeurosurgeryDiplomate of the American Board of Neurosurgery Chief of Neurosurgery, Providence Hospital and Medical Centers Clinical Director, Complex Spine Surgery Van Elslander Neurosciences Institute Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Osteopathic Surgical Specialties, Michigan State University, College of Osteopathic Medicine Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Neurological surgery, Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine Dr. Soo was elected one of the top doctors in Detroit by the Detroit Hour magazine from 2003-present

...See Less

Dr. Soo's Care Philosophy

I believe that surgery is the last resort for the treatment of spinal disorders, especially when fusion is required. I believe working with the patient's preference, lifestyle and the involvement of the family in the decision making process. My specialty is in complex spine surgery, our niche: extensive spinal revision for previous failed spine surgery. My double specialist degree in General Surgery and Neurosurgery had provided me with extensive clinical and technical skills.

Dr. Soo's Experience

See how Dr. Soo's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Soo

Dr. Soo accepts 9 insurance carriers

Dr. Soo is now accepting new patients
Southfield22250 Providence Dr Ste 601
Southfield, MI 48075
(248) 569-7745Get Directions

Check out the quality of care at the 3 hospitals where Dr. Soo has admitting privileges.

Dr. Soo's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Soo to family and friends
Dr. Soo's Performance
in Clinton Township, MI |
Dr. Soo is an excellent and highly skilled neurosurgeon. He saved my life. Pre-op my neck was unstable and my spinal cord was at risk. I am now 18 months out from a C2-T2 posterior decompression and fusion. My fusion has successfully healed. Although my neck motion is very limited, I have a great quality of life. I am thankful that Dr. Soo is my doctor and I recommend him to anyone with this type of problem. He is the best.
How does one write in a paragraph format how one dr. changed one persons life and that life being mine. I had 7 spine surgeries to date and was going downhill quickly. The depression was all consuming. Dr. Soo said a key comment that made me know I was a person and not a patient to him. While suffering with back pain and lying in a room depressed watching life go by it's a like slow death. He said I no longer needed to live like that. He said surgery is a scientific art. He was right.
in Wyandotte, MI |
My journey to no more pain... I had terrible pains in my legs for a while and last year (2016) was the worst year yet. Someone told me about how amazing Dr. Soo was. She was right. On January 20, 2017 I had a Lumbar Laminectomy and fusions L2-S1. The surgery lasted eight hours and when I woke up I had no pain in my legs anymore - amazing!!! About 2-3 weeks after surgery I developed Drop foot - after tests Dr. Soo hopes the drop foot will resolve itself, but I have no pain thanks to my hero.
in Detroit, MI |
I was paralyzed from my neck to my waist! I was informed my a medical professional that I had herniated disk(s), C3 & C4 vertebrate's broken into my spinal cord and other stuff! (I couldn't listen to any more) options given were: 50/50 of a successful surgery or a permanent vegetable. My FAITH IN GOD WAS SURELY TESTED! I had a successful surgery, Glory to God! I thank God for Dr. Soo! He is amazing! Very humble and I wish there were more Doctors like him! This is a MIRACLE & MORE 2 COME!
in Westland, MI |
Dr. soo is an amazing surgeon. I had multiple major back issues and Dr. soo was able to fix my back with minimally invasive surgery. I was in tremendous amount of pain from my lower back. groin, buttocks, down both legs, and now I am pain free. Great person, great dr., great surgeon. Would recommend him to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!
in Seneca, SC |
I traveled from SC for the skills offered by Dr. Soo. I spent a year in pain before seeing Dr. Soo. I knew within hours of my surgery that he successfully resolved my problem. I was in less pain 4 hours after surgery then before surgery. I had lumbar fusion, removal of spondylitis, and removal of a ganglion cycst. About 9 weeks later I was marching in the Women's March On Washington and stood for 13 hours. Went back to work following Tuesday. Best surgeon in America!
in Canton, Michigan |
My first visit with Dr. Soo was after sixteen months of sheer agony with my lumbar spine. Since that time Dr. Soo has performed three procedures on me, I am forever grateful for his expertise. He is a very well educated man with many credentials, and he is a very warm and caring man. Dr. Soo has given me my quality of life back. and my trust in him is unlimited.
Livonia, MI |
I suffer from chronic pain due to a disc disease. Dr. Soo gives it to you straight. I appreciate his no-nonsense approach. He saved my life. I was in so much pain, I couldn't function. Other doctors refused to help because I was so young. Dr. Soo set up a comprehensive plan for me. He set up a pain management doctor. He advised me to lose weight and connected me with a nutritionist. He has performed all of my back surgeries. I wouldn't trust anyone else.
in Walled Lake, MI |
I had surgery on March 1, 2017. Dr. Soo was so awesome ! He explained the surgery to me in a way that I completely understood what to expect . He never candy coated but he made me feel confident and at ease with my decision . Dr. Soo's bedside manner is what made decide to go with him. He made me laugh and most comfortable before , during & after my surgery . I will highly recommend him to anyone in need of his specialty . What a great guy!
in Allen Park, MI |
Dr. Soo was magnificent. From the first time I met him, I was confident that he would be the one to help me. I had leg pain from a back injury that was debilitating. He explained all my options and didn't push anything. I decided to have surgery. He was totally professional along with a hint of down home goodness. The surgery went as hoped. After I woke up, the pain was gone. He has the gifted hands of a world class surgeon. He even called me at home a few days after I was discharged to see how
in Highland, Mi |
Great doctor. I have had prior surgeries and he was able to repair most recent disc failure caused by prior fusion. Very easy to talk to, explains issues you face and has primary focus on your recover. Best part is that he spends whatever time you need to be clear on upcoming or past treatments.
in Madison Ferndale , MI |
Dr.Teck-Mun Soo, MD is an excellent Neurosurgeon. But additionally as a person as well. His no nonsense and direct approach was refreshing. He and his staff explained everything that they would do and what all my options were. All of my questions where answered no matter how pedestrian they might have been. Due to my severe cervical radiculopathy, Dr. Soo made room for me in his busy schedule to perform my needed ACDF surgery. I felt that in every step of the procedure I was in the best of hands
Lansing, MI |
This man is the single man who saved her life. When everyone said to give up hope, he told us not to so we didn't. My mother is still alive today because of him!
in West Bloomfield, MI |
I was miserable for two years. I could not sleep unless I was lying flat for over an hour. I took vacations 3 times and they were the worst times of my life. Especially sitting on a plane. Eventually my friends had to push me in a wheelchair. I couldnt stand or sit for long periods of time. I was really frustrated with everything including my job and family. I was always in a bad mood. Thanks to Dr. Soo, I am a new man. 100% better after surgery. Happy all over again and enjoying Life
in South Lyon, MI |
I had a Tri-level decompression and fusion on the C5, C6 and C7 disc in my neck. Dr Soo did the procedure with ease and I had hardly any pain following the surgery. He is passionate and professional. As a result of my surgery and the success of it, I proclaim Dr Tek-Mun Soo Day each February 15th. I could hardly stand straight before my surgery, now I can! Thank You!
in Howell, MI |
Dr. Teck-Mun. Soo performed an SI Joint Fusion on my Right SI Joint March 1, 2017. Dr. Soo was the the Doctor that correctly diagnosed my injury when previous first Opinion was that Stenosis in my lower lumbar region was the case of my pain. Dr. Soo and His Team performed this Surgery and I am now home and recovering. I highly recommend Dr. Soo for Neurological evaluation and any necessary surgery you may need
Livonia, MI |
Dr. Soo is wonderful doctor who takes as much time as you need to explain your condition. He will not rush into performing surgery.
in Pinckney, MI |
Dr. Teck-Mun M. Soo is a gifted neurosurgeon at Providence Hospital. I would highly recommend him for any spinal surgery. His 30 years of excellent experience has provided me with remarkable results. I went to three other neurosurgeons only to be disappointed. After four years of suffering a friend of mine recommended Dr. Soo. My first appointment I saw a confident Dr. who knew what to do. My results have been excellent better than I had hoped for.
Milford, MI |
Dr. Soo fused my husband's lower spine, L5/S1. Most physicians would not even attempt this surgery due to the degree of difficulty involved. My husband has osteoporosis which makes his bones soft. The procedure, methods and devices that Dr. Soo himself developed made it possible for this surgery to be successfully done on my husband. He is now six months post-op and essentially pain-free. This surgery has given him a new lease on life and restored his confidence that, at 73 there is a lot more l
in Northville, MI |
I John Cunningham, have searched for the top neurosurgeon and by the grace of God was lead to Dr. Teck Soo. He did spinal surgery and after 2 yrs. of not being able to walk without losing my balance, Dr. Soo performed a miracle with the hands God gave to him. Please contact him with your special needs. He is truly a genuine helper to mankind!
in Detroit, MI |
OMG! When I say this man is a God Send. I mean it 100%. I was in a car accident in 2016 which resulted in me needing back surgery. Before surgery, I couldn't walk upright & I had severe nerve pain shooting down my left leg. I was sent to get an epidural from another doctor 1st & that didn't work then I was referred to Teck -Mun Soo. He fixed my up. I am in my 4th month recovering & I'm doing well. He has the best bed side manner. He's very personable. I'd recommend him to EVERYONE!!!!!
in Walled Lake, MI |
Dr Soo is an amazing neurosurgeon. Thanks to him my husband is Not in a wheel chair. This is a physician who is an expert in his field & will move mountains to help you. After meeting with several neurosurgeons Dr Soo knew what type of surgery my husband needed & was willing to sacrifice his family time to make sure he got the care he needed. He did an anterior & posteior fushion with a corpectomy. My husband was able to walk the day after surgery. I would recommend him to everyone.
Farmington, MI |
Dr. SOO is simply the "BEST" Neurosurgeon in History! I love his personality and his funny and excellent bedside manners and his personal time and consultation that he provides at every appt. He also have a great team of staff members. He performed my back surgery 11//23/14 and it was a great success. I healed quickly, and did not have to go to PT and I returned to work within 5-6 weeks after surgery. I have been doing well since the surgery. Thank you Dr. Soo for a job well done!
in Madison Heights, MI |
I was going to numerous Dr.'s over the past year with none of them figuring out my problem. Dr. Soo diagnosed it immediately and went to work to correct my constant pain and partial paralysis.
in Livonia, MI |
Simply the BEST. Dr. Soo has performed 3 fusion surgeries on my back in 2006,2010 and most recent in 2017 due to two car accidents and a fall. I was very impressed with the results all three times. The confidence he displays while he explains the procedure made feel at ease and ready to have surgery, Dr. Soo would say"Can you live with it?"( meaning the pain.) "Let me know when you are ready" We have a great time at appointments . He is a great listener, funny guy ,and the Best!
in Detroit, MI |
I was fed up with pain limiting my life and knew I had to make a change. Thank heaven I made that appointment. Once there he explained what needed to be done. He didn’t sugar coat my condition but he assured me he could make it better. I agreed and he performed an 8 hr surgery on my back. After 5 months, while still healing, I feel 99% better. He and his staff do all they can to make you comfortable before and especially after surgery. He is a very honest, caring and highly skilled surgeon.
in Brighton, MI |
I love that he is straight forward when he talks to you about your treatment options. I love his humor, I would highly recommend him to anyone.
in Farmington, MI |
I was bleesd to have Dr. Soo to be my surgent. Dr. Soo, is best in my book. Thank you so much for taking me as your patiente. Much respect for Dr.
in novi, MI |
if you need a doctor you can trust i highly suggest dr.soo
in Wyandotte, MI |
After having been denied surgery by several surgeons, my husband was referred to Dr. Soo. He evaluated his condition, agreed to perform surgery and explained the procedure and what could be expected. The surgery and recovery have been as explained, and the results are life changing. Dr Soo is caring, compassionate, communicates well, and has a great sense of humor. He is invested in his patients and in the staff he is training. For complex surgeries especially, he is the best in the area!
Maumee, OH |
The office is very busy so getting ahold of Dr. Soo is a task. Overall I think he is a great doctor and is very good at what he does! God forbid I have any other back issues later on in life but if I do I will definitely be seeing Dr. Soo again!
in Howell, MI |
Dr. Soo did an excellent job on correcting the poor work that some of the supposedly big names in SE Michigan neurosurgery had done to me. My experience with some of these "superstars" was that good or bad, after the cutting was done you were just a file. Even minor concerns such as a pinched spinal cord after a fusion were dismissed and I was treated like a whiner or drug seeker. Dr. Soo was extremely thorough, careful and very good at discussing/deciding treatment. Can't say enough good things
in Brownstown Charter Townsh |
Lumbar tumor. Surgery. Dr. Soo saw my problem identified and gave a quick and direct solution. Asking: Can I live with the problem? My answer was no so surgery was the way to go. The office worked with me for surgery plans and my work medical paperwork so that I felt comfortable. Worked out well.
in Waterford, MI |
You don't get no better doctor than dr. Soo you took me in for an emergency surgery didn't even know him then I had more complications he was on vacation he answered the phone to get the question answer in the middle of the night this guy rocks thanks dr. Soo
Howell, MI |
Overall experience was positive. Bedside manner was straightforward and pulls no punches, but a great sense of humor. Listen to his instructions prior to and after surgery and follow them to the letter. I had a fusion and laminectomy and was instructed to walk as much as possible after the surgery. I was walking right after surgery 3 times a day, every day and pushed myself and the results have been outstanding.
in Macomb, MI |
Even though Dr. Soo has a very busy office it is well worth the time. He is straight forward and not quick to do surgery if its not absolutely necessary which I can appreciate. He has a good sense of humor, is knowledgeable and confident in his abilities which puts you at ease. I would recommend him to anyone who has a spinal injury, a problem with a previous spinal surgery or someone who just needs advice on a spinal issue to determine whether surgery is even necessary.
in Bruce Township, MI |
I had never understood the chronic pain until experiencing it 24/7 in my cervical spine. Dr. Teck Soo through his gifted hands alleviated my pain almost immediately after he performed surgery to remove bone spurs due to arthritis. By day two post surgery, my range of motion returned which had been almost nonexistent without pain prior to Dr. Soo's incredible knowledge. He had seen the spurs on my MRI. He explained and used the posterior approach to correct my problem. He is HIGHLY recommended!
in Plymouth, Mi. |
Dr. Soo is the best! He reads the MRI better than the Radiologist that sends the report. He is funny and yet caring. After a very major surgery he even called me at home to see how I was doing. My only criticism is that you always wait an hour or two before you get to see him.
in Northville, MI |
Dr. Soo is a straightforward, brilliant, and pleasing neurosurgeon! I was diagnosed with Cervical Stenosis with Myelopathy. I am over 80 years old, and I was afraid of the risks involved with surgery. I had tried every form of conservative treatment for over a year with no relief. Dr. Soo studied my case and warned me about the risk of delaying surgery. He performed a Posterior Cervical Decompression and Fusion (C3 to T1). 4 months later, the surgery eliminated my pain and any risk of paralysis.
in Canton, MI |
I have been seeing Dr. Teck Soo for many years. I find Dr. Soo to be a very knowledgeable, professional, caring and kind doctor. Dr. Soo has performed 8 spinal surgeries on me and all successfully. I would recommend Dr. Soo to anyone with back problems. He diagnosed me when no one else could after a year of seeing specialist after specialist. I trust Dr. Soo's opinion above any other doctor's opinion. Thank you Dr. Soo for making my quality of life the very best! I recommend you to everyone.
in Northville, MI |
Dr. Soo is a skilled, straight-forward, knowledgeable surgeon who demonstrates common sense & expert practices. His training of Neurological students brings extra knowledge, insight & perspectives to any medical condition. My rating comes as a result of ER/mandatory surgery where I had less than 24 hours to evaluate his skills in spite of my active working presence within health care.
in West Bloomfield, MI |
My husband has undergone 6 back surgeries, each difficult, complex and out of the box. After the first two surgeries by another neurosurgeon failed, Dr. Soo has used his considerable experise to put my husband back together. He understands quality of life, he is compassionate and kind...has called us out of the blue to check on my husband, seen us in his office at 8 o'clock at night on an emergency basis and scheduled emergency surgery in less than 24 hours. He is simply the best.
in Livonia, MI |
First - He immediately spotted the problem another doctor had missed. He was straightforward and explained my problem to me clearly. They scheduled my surgery quickly and he did a great job. I had a Cervical Laminectomy on C3 through C7 and Fusion from C2 to T1. I had no complications at all during surgery or following it. The surgery was 9 months ago and I'm feeling very good.
in Canton, MI |
Dr Soo is an excellent doctor. I would give him 10 stars!! He explains things before and after. He did a surgery on my neck and 2 back operations. He is very thorough.I am 70 years old and I can walk again. After surgery he called me at home and asked how I was doing. He cares about people. His office is also very good.If you want the very best, Dr. Soo is the one.You cannot do any better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you Doctor, I am very blessed to have you.
Sterling Heights, MI |
My Health Specialist recommended Dr. Soo a number of years ago but it's not easy to jump into neck surgery. So I tried every type of relief. Dr. Soo suggested that he perform a laminectomy on my cervical spine. I was pain free in a couple of days and my muscle tension released in a couple of weeks. I played golf 6 weeks later, resumed wake boarding, water skiing and pickle ball. I am 64 years old and will now be able to stay healthy through sports thanks to Dr. Soo.
in Commerce Twp. , MI |
Dr. Soo is the only spine surgeon to whom I will refer my family and friends. Both my husband and I have experienced his expertise. A few years ago, Dr. Soo diagnosed me with a life-threatening bacterial infection in my back when others dismissed the problem. He literally saved my life. My husband has had three surgeries-lumbar fusions-which have succeeded in a more pain-free quality of life. Obviously, I cannot say enough about the quality of care from Dr. Soo.
in Dearborn, Michigan |
Hey Dr. Soo it's Michael Hazime, I told you I was gonna leave you a review did I not? I stick to my word lol. Anyways, Dr.Soo is a great doctor to go too. He will take care of you, he has a great sense of humor and I would recommend any of my family or friends who have a problem with their back to go straight to Dr. Soo. He is the definition of a caring and friendly Doctor that knows exactly what he's doing. My back feels great now, I highly recommend Dr. Soo. Awesome guy, awesome Doctor.
in West Bloomfield, MI |
Dr Soo has operated on two areas of my spine in the past two years. The results have so far been excellent. He is very skilled. He and his staff give good explanations of what to expect with each procedure and how the recovery is to be handled. Individual time is devoted to each patient. Questions asked are answered as truthfully as possible.
in Warren Michigan |
Dr. Soo is a very honest and straight forward surgeon. He will tell you what is wrong and what needs to be done to fix it. I had my SI Joint fused in 2012 and L2-L4 fused Sept 2016. I visited him again yesterday for back pain in a different area than the previous surgeries. He shared his interpretation of my MRI, explained there was no imminent danger and that I should wait until or if things get more painful. I left feeling assured that I was not causing any additional damage to my back!
in Brighton, MI |
Great Doctor. He corrected a dangerous spinal condition and I can give him the highest possible ratings as a Surgeon, for his bedside manner, follow up, professionalism, billing and administrative staff, and in every import metric that I could imagine. Excellent.
Have you seen Dr. Teck-Mun Soo, MD?
Are you Dr. Soo?

Compare Dr. Soo

Dr. Soo says...

Board Certified in NeurosurgeryDiplomate of the American Board of Neurosurgery

• Chief of Neurosurgery, Providence Hospital and Medical Centers
  • Clinical Director, Complex Spine Surgery Van Elslander Neurosciences Institute
  • Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Osteopathic Surgical Specialties, Michigan State University, College of Osteopathic Medicine
  • Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Neurological surgery, Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
  • Dr. Soo was elected one of the top doctors in Detroit by the Detroit Hour magazine from 2003-present

Dr. Soo's Care Philosophy

Dr. Soo's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Neurosurgery
  •  Board certified in Neurosurgery
  •  Malpractice claims in Michigan not available

Dr. Soo has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Michigan.

Why It Matters: Dr. Soo's Board Certifications

• Brain Tumor
  • Broken Neck
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease

Completed in 1998

University of Dublin / Trinity College / School of Physic

• Cantonese
  • Mandarin

Dr. Soo does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Soo and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Neurosurgery

• Craniectomy, Craniotomy, Surgery of Skull Base, Neuroendoscopy
  • Disc Replacement
  • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
  • Epidural Lysis of Adhesions (LOA)
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Laminectomy