Dr. Teck-Mun M. Soo, MD

Dr. Teck-Mun M. Soo, MD

Neurosurgery | Male | 54 years old

Learn about this Doctor

I believe that surgery is the last resort for the treatment of spinal disorders, especially when fusion is required. I believe working with the patient's preference, lifestyle and the involvement of the family in the decision making process. My specialty is in complex spine surgery, our niche: extensive spinal revision for previous failed spine surgery. My double specialist degree in General Surgery and Neurosurgery had provided me with extensive clinical and technical skills.Read more

Dr. Soo's Experience

See how Dr. Soo's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Soo

Dr. Soo accepts 9 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 3 hospitals where Dr. Soo has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

Dr. Soo's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Soo to family and friends
Experience with Dr. Soo
Dr. Soo's Office & Staff
    31 – 45 minutes (172)
in Canton, MI |
I have been seeing Dr. Teck Soo for many years. I find Dr. Soo to be a very knowledgeable, professional, caring and kind doctor. Dr. Soo has performed 8 spinal surgeries on me and all successfully. I would recommend Dr. Soo to anyone with back problems. He diagnosed me when no one else could after a year of seeing specialist after specialist. I trust Dr. Soo's opinion above any other doctor's opinion. Thank you Dr. Soo for making my quality of life the very best! I recommend you to everyone.
in Northville, MI |
Dr. Soo is a skilled, straight-forward, knowledgeable surgeon who demonstrates common sense & expert practices. His training of Neurological students brings extra knowledge, insight & perspectives to any medical condition. My rating comes as a result of ER/mandatory surgery where I had less than 24 hours to evaluate his skills in spite of my active working presence within health care.
in West Bloomfield, MI |
My husband has undergone 6 back surgeries, each difficult, complex and out of the box. After the first two surgeries by another neurosurgeon failed, Dr. Soo has used his considerable experise to put my husband back together. He understands quality of life, he is compassionate and kind...has called us out of the blue to check on my husband, seen us in his office at 8 o'clock at night on an emergency basis and scheduled emergency surgery in less than 24 hours. He is simply the best.
in Livonia, MI |
First - He immediately spotted the problem another doctor had missed. He was straightforward and explained my problem to me clearly. They scheduled my surgery quickly and he did a great job. I had a Cervical Laminectomy on C3 through C7 and Fusion from C2 to T1. I had no complications at all during surgery or following it. The surgery was 9 months ago and I'm feeling very good.
in Canton, MI |
Dr Soo is an excellent doctor. I would give him 10 stars!! He explains things before and after. He did a surgery on my neck and 2 back operations. He is very thorough.I am 70 years old and I can walk again. After surgery he called me at home and asked how I was doing. He cares about people. His office is also very good.If you want the very best, Dr. Soo is the one.You cannot do any better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you Doctor, I am very blessed to have you.
Sterling Heights, MI |
My Health Specialist recommended Dr. Soo a number of years ago but it's not easy to jump into neck surgery. So I tried every type of relief. Dr. Soo suggested that he perform a laminectomy on my cervical spine. I was pain free in a couple of days and my muscle tension released in a couple of weeks. I played golf 6 weeks later, resumed wake boarding, water skiing and pickle ball. I am 64 years old and will now be able to stay healthy through sports thanks to Dr. Soo.
in Commerce Twp. , MI |
Dr. Soo is the only spine surgeon to whom I will refer my family and friends. Both my husband and I have experienced his expertise. A few years ago, Dr. Soo diagnosed me with a life-threatening bacterial infection in my back when others dismissed the problem. He literally saved my life. My husband has had three surgeries-lumbar fusions-which have succeeded in a more pain-free quality of life. Obviously, I cannot say enough about the quality of care from Dr. Soo.
in Dearborn, Michigan |
Hey Dr. Soo it's Michael Hazime, I told you I was gonna leave you a review did I not? I stick to my word lol. Anyways, Dr.Soo is a great doctor to go too. He will take care of you, he has a great sense of humor and I would recommend any of my family or friends who have a problem with their back to go straight to Dr. Soo. He is the definition of a caring and friendly Doctor that knows exactly what he's doing. My back feels great now, I highly recommend Dr. Soo. Awesome guy, awesome Doctor.
in West Bloomfield, MI |
Dr Soo has operated on two areas of my spine in the past two years. The results have so far been excellent. He is very skilled. He and his staff give good explanations of what to expect with each procedure and how the recovery is to be handled. Individual time is devoted to each patient. Questions asked are answered as truthfully as possible.
in Warren Michigan |
Dr. Soo is a very honest and straight forward surgeon. He will tell you what is wrong and what needs to be done to fix it. I had my SI Joint fused in 2012 and L2-L4 fused Sept 2016. I visited him again yesterday for back pain in a different area than the previous surgeries. He shared his interpretation of my MRI, explained there was no imminent danger and that I should wait until or if things get more painful. I left feeling assured that I was not causing any additional damage to my back!
in Brighton, MI |
Great Doctor. He corrected a dangerous spinal condition and I can give him the highest possible ratings as a Surgeon, for his bedside manner, follow up, professionalism, billing and administrative staff, and in every import metric that I could imagine. Excellent.
in Novi, MI |
I went to Dr. Soo 5/19/16 in excruciating pain. Could barely walk, loss of reflex in right ankle,extreme weakness in right leg. Dr. Soo looked at my MRI and immediately scheduled me for surgery 6/3. This man is a miracle worker! I am now walking pain free with the small exception of the area where my new hardware went in. That's nothing! Still have several months of restrictions ahead of me - no bending, lifting over 5 pounds or twisting - small price to pay for no pain. Love this man!
in Livonia, MI |
Dr. Soo is wonderful! He truly believes surgery is the last resort and is completely honest with you , explaining your test results and options. I'm an Occupational Therapist and I know he cleans up many of the surgeries other spine specialists have performed with bad results. I was scheduled for a 5 level fusion and saw Dr. Soo for another opinion. Thank God I did. He told me I didn't need surgery and here I sm a year later doing fine! He has a great sense of humor and is very compassionate!
in Grass Lake, MI |
I went to Dr. Soo with 2 herniated discs in my neck. I had been in constant pain for almost a year. Dr. Soo recommended a disc replacement procedure. It was incredible how well it worked. I had the 2 discs replaced on Wednesday and went back to work full time on Monday. I have been pain free for over a year now. My only regret is that I didn't go to Dr. Soo sooner.
in Royal Oak, MI |
I am 1 month into a 6 month recovery and I have none of the debilitating pain which compelled me to get the surgery. I have relief from fractures, a significant vertebrae slippage, and a disc that was basically missing. This was my first back surgery, and I am fortunate to have gotten it done by Teck Mun Soo. I experienced a minimally invasive procedure where he accomplished much. He engaged me to instill confidence & made me know my challenging condition would get its special attention.
Vinton, VA |
bad bad doctor
in Livingston County, MI |
I had my L4 L5 laminectomy Fusion done 32 days ago. I have been walking for weeks without pain. I can walk for a full hour at the gym and will work up to walking five miles here shortly. I feel real good. I have not been able to hold myself together in 3 to 4 years. Standing walking Etc was very painful. Although I must take it easy and not lift or bend much, I am much happier that I can just simply walk without pain. I'm looking forward to my life returning back to normal over the months ahead.
in Livingston County, MI |
Dr. Soo time with me when others wouldn't. The explanation of the procedure was easy to understand and I knew it was time to have the surgery. I can now walk without pain my toes Face Forward and my digestion has improved as well!
in Southfield, MI |
Outstanding surgeon. I first met Dr. Soo when he operated on my younger son, who was in a car accident. Not knowing anything about Dr. Soo, I kept asking my son Are you sure he's a good doctor?. I now know he had the very best. Surgery was a complete success. Dr. Soo is an exceptional, gifted and confident neurosurgeon. He is very compassionate and cares about his patients. He will take the time to explain everything to you and answer your questions. I would highly recommend him to anyone.
Dr. Soo performed lower back surgery on my wife in November of 2016 in which he successfully completed three fusions on discs that were severely herniated and/or degenerated which had resulted in extreme pain and loss of strength in her legs. Because the surgery was done with minimally invasive methods, she healed quickly and was immediately almost pain free. She was able to resume playing golf in six months. I strongly recommend Dr. Soo.
in Sterling Heights, MI |
Within a year span, my father had over 20 ER visits due to his excruciating neck/back pain. He was sleeping an hour or two a night and was living a life of misery. We saw over 5 Neurosurgeons and not one of them could narrow down the issue. Finally, after visiting Dr Soo, within minutes he identified the problem from the MRI. His procedure was March 8th and today he is 100% PAIN FREE! My father describes him as one of Gods servants on earth. Overall phenomenal experience! Thank you Dr Soo!
in Gibraltar, MI |
Master Dr.Teck Mun Soo is the best. ( see other notes)
in West Bloomfield Township, Michigan |
My experience with Dr. Soo was enjoyable. He has a great personality and treated me as a human and not a paycheck. His staff was VERY helpful in any questions or concerns I had. I was put at ease with the whole experience. Oh, did I mention he put a rod in my neck WITHOUT a scar. Very good work Doc! I was recommended to him and will recommend any one else that needs his specialties to him!
in Novi Michigan |
This guy just fused my L4-L5 vertebre. I am a 24 year old man who was having alot of pain everyday at all times. I now have my life back and I have to credit Dr Soo completely. My surgery went without issue. I had two prior surgery's and by far this one was the easiest recovery. I would reccommend Dr Soo to my family and friends.
in Farmington, MI |
I experienced HORRIBLE AND PAINFUL sciatica on entire left side for well over one year and tried acupuncture and then went to a chiropractor before I considered surgery. Dr Soo was HIGHLY RECOMMENDED and I am thankful I found him. My case was complicated! He is brilliant and passionate and the sciatica is 100% gone and my back feels great after only a few months. I LOVE THIS DOCTOR. Thank you Dr. Soo. He also has an interesting sense of humor which I enjoyed.
Cervical Fusion - Stenosis of the Neck
in Clinton Township, MI |
Dr. Soo is an excellent, highly skilled and compassionate neurosurgeon and diagnostician. He clearly explained my problem and told me how he could fix it. My second opinion at the U of M totally concurred. In Dec, 2105 he performed an urgent posterior cervical decompression & fusion on me (C2-T2). The recovery is difficult, but my result is excellent; I even have some neck motion. Dr. Soo saved my spinal cord and saved my life. He is truly the best. I am thankful that I was referred to him.
in Warren, MI |
Dr. Soo is very knowledgeable and experienced. I had surgery in September 2015 on L2 through L5 and I am doing fine.
in Farmington, MI |
Following twenty years as a licensed physical therapist, I herniated a total of nine discs, most of which resulted in impingement to my spinal cord. I now credit my ability to ambulate, the control of my bile and bladder, my Independence in all activities of daily living as well as some of my ability to be an individual that can be productively contributing to society to the work I know THE CREATOR has done through the hands of Dr. Soo. He is a healer, a source of inspiration and a GOOD man
in Bloomfield Township, MI |
on March 1st, I had L3 to L5 fusion with Dr Teck Soo. The nagging pain i had for years in my right side and leg is completed gone. The incisions were so small and healed quickly. I do not know how he did it. My surgery was complicated because he discovered during surgery that I had back conjoined nerve root. It took an extra hour. I thank God for finding him. Another surgeon might not be able to fix this problem and caused permenant damage. I am still recovering but happy with the result
in Howell, MI |
Dr. Soo is amazing! He performed back surgery on me 5 years ago and I am doing wonderfully! I recommended him to my sister and he performed surgery on her neck c3 to t1. She is doing great also. Dr. Soo knows what he is doing and is extremely skilled at what he does!
in Sterling Heights, MI |
Dr. Soo has an easy going bedside manner making a serious surgical procedure less stressful, and is an excellent surgeon (very proficient at his craft)
in Warren, Michigan |
Dr. Soo is very intelligent and smart, he's caring and very sympathetic to his patients needs. The average doctors are so much in a rush, trying to get to the next patient, but Dr. Soo took his time, and made sure that I knew the procedure that he was performing on me, and made sure that I was comfortable with the operation. Dr. Soo and his staff was very professional and caring!!! I've already started recommending people with similar illness that I had to Dr. Soo!!!
in Fenton, MI |
Dr. Teck Soo is a brilliant genius who has returned life to me. I was in constant pain, could not walk, stand up straight, lean backwards or roll over in bed without suffering tremendously. The pain in my legs was unbearable. He reviewed my MRI and x-Rays and very confidently told me he could fix me. He gained my trust immediately with his knowledge and charming, caring personality. After percutaneous laminectomy & fusion, I am indeed free of all the symptoms. Make your appointment today.
in West Bloomfield, MI |
I would definitely recommended Dr. Soo to anyone. He is very professional and has a great personality. He done brain surgery to me and I am doing well now. Thank you, Dr. Soo -- you are the best.
in Canton, MI |
I love Dr Soo, incredible personality, sense of humor, gorgeous hair! Tech Soo operated on my Cervical spine C3-C7 & then my L3 & L4. I did well for 1 year. Turns out my L5 also needed surgery too. I have since found out I have Deg.Disc Disease, Rupured Disc, Artheritis & bone spurs thru out my entire Spine,Sublux of L5 leaks out. Oh, almost forgot I also have Sciatica! I am 57 years old & I must use a cane because the pain gets so serious I crumble to the floor & I'm flat on my back again
in Farmington, MI |
I cannot say enough about Dr Soo. He saved my life! I have had headaches for most of my life and Dr. Soo convinced me to take a chance with shunt surgery. After 2 surgeries I can honestly say my head pain is gone and Dr. Soo found a tumor that other professionals missed for decades. Does he have a large personality? You bet. But he was kind and caring and truly good to me and my family throughout the whole process. I would definitely recommend Dr. Soo. Linda
in West Bloomfield Township |
I would recommend Dr Soo to anyone as I was recommended to him from several people. Top notch. Very professional. I am 2 months into recovery from decompression and spinal fusion of C5, 6,and 7, and after 2 weeks of down town I was up and mobile. Now I'm driving and doing light duty tasks with no problem. Very personal and great personality! Thanks Dr Soo!
in Belleville, MI |
Dr. Soo has been a blessing to me. After receiving disappointing treatment for my back injury from other doctors, God brought Dr. Soo into my life in 2001 when problems resurfaced. I found Dr. Soo to be a very kind, compassionate, jovial, and skilled physician who, knowing my activity level and lifestyle (work, school, etc.) and my desire to avoid further surgery, chose other treatments before surgery. Surgery became necessary (Fusion revision with hardware) his follow up has been wonderful!
in Shelby Township, MI |
I have had two corrective back surgeries performed by Dr. Soo. Both went well and healed without incident. Without question. I feel complete trust and confidence in Dr. Soo's competence to properly diagnose the problem and perform the proper procedure and, therefore, highly recommend his services to anyone suffering with serious back problems.
in Canton, MI |
My Mom had back problems for more than 40 years. Every doctor and surgeon she saw told her there was nothing they could do to help her. Dr. Soo saw hope from the initial visit. He was willing to take the time to truly understand her condition and find an appropriate solution to bring her relief. I am very happy to say that our experience with Dr. Soo and his team was remarkable. His operation greatly reduced her back pain where nobody else was willing to make an effort with her difficult case.
in Ypsilanti |
He was great. Explained what my issues were and how he could fix them. I took his recommendation and I'm so happy I did . It's been 6 months since my surgery and I'm pain free. I was just released to resume normal activities. Golf course here I come. I would recommend Dr Soo and his partners to anyone looking for relief from pain. They really care about you and your recovery.
in Detroit, MI |
Dr. Teck Soo performed a cervical spinal fusion on me in September 2015. Before the surgery, I was experiencing severe neck pain with numbness in my shoulder, arm and hands; threatening quadriplegia. It is now January 2016, and post surgery results are no numbness, very little discomfort in neck and shoulder. Excellent improvement!
in Detroit, MI |
Dr. Soo has an amazing ability to make you feel comfortable around him and he REALLY listens and REALLY cares about helping people with their spinal conditions. Not only is he brilliant, he has a tremendous personality and he talks to you like a normal person. He has done (3) separate spinal surgeries in my family - including my recent minimally invasive lumbar fusion. I had 6 opinions and went with him because I felt VERY at ease with him. He is very successful for a reason. *****experience! A+
in Brighton, MI |
I had emergency surgery Christmas day 2015 due to a herniated disc. Dr Soo performed a Discectomy. The surgery was a complete success. I could barely walk prior to the operation and today I can walk pain free. I would give Sr Soo my highest recommendation and I am a tough grader.
in Oak Park, MI |
Infusion Surgery Dr. Teck Soo is an exceptional surgeon. I was in excruciating pain every day especially down my arm. After healing from the surgery the pain down my arm was gone. It?s getting stronger every day. I thank you and truly appreciate you Dr. Teck Soo for making me better.
in Los Angeles |
One of the BEST spine surgeons in the US
in Redford, MI |
this was very hard for to go ahead with this surgery for me put after meeting Dr. Soo my truth in him change for the better and he was right great job a little cut on the side of my nick and he was done recovery was not to hard but I was okay walking good what a awesome doctor thank you so much.
in Port Hope, MI |
Spinal surgery. Confident. Did not waste time. Diagnosis accurate. Surgery complete and sucessful.
Have you seen Dr. Teck-Mun M. Soo, MD?
Are you Dr. Soo?

You've got options

We're finding other great Providers for you to consider.

• Neurosurgery

• Brain Tumor
  • Broken Neck
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease

• Craniectomy, Craniotomy, Surgery of Skull Base, Neuroendoscopy
  • Disc Replacement
  • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Epidural Block, Facet Blocks
  • Epidural Lysis of Adhesions (LOA)
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Laminectomy
  • Spinal Reconstructive Surgery for Deformities
  • Spine Surgery
  • Stereotaxis
  • Vascular Transcatheter Embolization

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Michigan.

Trinity College, University Of Dublin, University Of Dublin, School Of Medicine

Completed in 1997

University Toronto

Completed in 1998

University of Dublin / Trinity College / School of Physic

Dr. Soo has no media or publications listed.

• Cantonese
  • Mandarin

Dr. Soo does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Soo and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

Dr. Soo's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

• Specializes in Neurosurgery
  • Board certified in Neurosurgery
  • Malpractice claims in Michigan not available

Why Does Experience Matter?

Patient Satisfaction Results for Dr. Soo

Overall Patient Satisfaction Score

Dr. Soo's Office & Staff

Ease of scheduling urgent appointments
Office environment, cleanliness, comfort, etc.
Staff friendliness and courteousness
Total wait time (waiting & exam rooms)
31 – 45 minutes

Experience with Dr. Soo

Level of trust in provider's decisions
How well provider explains medical condition(s)
How well provider listens and answers questions
Spends appropriate amount of time with patients

Dr. Soo's Care Philosophy