Gynecology  |
Dr. Tara Allmen, MD
Tara Allmen, MD is one of America's leading experts in midlife women's health and author of Menopause Confidential: A Doctor Reveals The Secrets To Thriving Through Midlife. She is a Board Certified Gynecologist and Nationally Certified Menopause Practitioner (NCMP). Dr. Allmen has educated thousands of medical professionals around the country in perimenopausal and menopausal medicine. She has also been featured on television, both in the United States and internationally. Inspired to reach millions of women over the age of 40 with accurate scientific information, Dr. Allmen created an extensive video library, available on her website, as well as the DVD "Menopause in an Hour." A graduate of New York's prestigious Stuyvesant High School, Dr. Allmen earned her bachelor's degree from Johns Hopkins University and her medical degree from theState University of New York at Stony Brook. She completed a residency in obstetrics and gynecology at the University of California, San Francisco. In 1999, Dr. Allmen joined the Center for Menopause, Hormonal Disorders and Women's Health, New York City, focusing her practice on perimenopause and menopause. As President and CEO of the Allmen Foundation, Dr. Allmen supports non-profit organizations working in the areas of women's health, childhood education and animal welfare. The North American Menopause Society, the leading non-profit organization dedicated to midlife women's health, refers to Dr. Allmen as a "Visionary" contributor. Dr. Allmen lives in New York City with her handsome husband, two adorable children, and a small dog named Sadie.

134 E 73rd St

New York, NY 10021

Learn about Dr. Allmen

I have been devoted to the care of women over 40 for the last 15 years. Once women have completed child bearing, it is time to graduate from the obstetrician's office and find a gynecologist with and expertise in perimenopause and menopause! Do not be confused and afraid any longer about this next life journey. www.drallmen.com

Dr. Allmen's Experience

Dr. Allmen's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Gynecology

• Blood Disorders
  • Cervical Polyps
  • Endometriosis
  • Excessive Menstrual Bleeding
  • HPV (Human Papillomavirus)
  • Heart Disease in Women
  • Hormone Imbalance
  • Menopause
  • Menstrual Disorders (incl. Dysmenorrhea)
  • Ovarian Cysts
  • Pap Smear Abnormalities
  • Perimenopause
  • Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
  • Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
  • Symptomatic Menopause
  • Urinary Disorders
  • Urinary Incontinence
  • Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
  • Vaginitis and-or Vaginosis
  • Yeast Infections

• Cholesterol Screening
  • Gynecologic Cancer Screening
  • Osteoporosis Screening
  • Thyroid Screening

No malpractice history found for New York.

• Johns Hopkins University / School Of Medicine
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1986
  • Stony Brook Univ Health Sciences Center School Of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 1990
  • Ucsf Medical Center
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1991
  • Ucsf Medical Center
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1994

Dr. Allmen has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Allmen does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Allmen and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Allmen's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Allmen to family and friends
Dr. Allmen Says:

I would like to thank all the women who took the time to write a review. I am honored to be your physician.

Dr. Allmen's Performance
in New York, NY |
I was nervous approaching peri-menopause but Dr. Allmen has me feeling great. No symptoms, no mood swings and no worries. She gets it and relieves it so life is just wonderful. Happy I found her.
New York, NY |
Dr. Allmen is awesome! She is easy to talk to about awkward issues. I even send my teenage daughters to see her. Her book about menopause was funny and informative. She convinced me to get my first colonoscopy.
New York NY |
I have been a patient with Dr. Allmen for 10 years, since arriving in NYC. She has helped me understand my menopausal transition and offered me alternatives to my way of treatment. After all the facts and subsequent discussion, we chose together - I prefer things this way! I find her to be very personable, thorough extremely knowledgable in her field, and any queries and the one emergency I've had, she's responded to with care and immediate follow-up. I would highly recommend her.
in Greenwich, CT |
I have had an excellent experience with Dr. Allmen! She is always accessible, informative and willing to discuss all options concerning my healthcare. She provides all details and let’s me make an informed decision. I have been a patient for approximately 17 years and look forward to many years to come.
in Litchfield, CT |
I have been a patient of Dr. Allmen's for 16 years. She has always been thorough and taken the time to get to know me and my concerns. Would definitely recommend her to my dearest friends and family members!
New York, NY |
Dr. Allmen does not examine patients thoroughly, to the detriment of her patients. She is a self promoter. Instead of answering medical questions, she tells her paying patients to buy her book and read the appropriate chapter. She talks generalities at medical appointments and fails to listen to patients' medical concerns. She fails to examine thoroughly. Look elsewhere if you want a thorough exam with a doctor who will detect medial problems early to protect you.
in Manhattan |
If you live in NYC, Dr. Allmen should be your doctor. She is smart, professional and approachable. With her terrific sense of humor and warm bedside manner, Dr. Allmen puts even the most apprehensive patients at ease. She takes the time to listen, gives comprehensive advice, and also makes practical suggestions to improve your overall health. And don't forgot her book, Menopause Confidential. It takes the mystery out of menopause and is a must read if you are thinking about menopause.
Dix Hills |
I was a gyn patient of Dr. Allmen many years ago and loved her. Alas, she moved on to other things (i.e., taking care of perimenopausal and menopausal women). How fortunate was I a few years ago to be reading an article about perimenopause when I came across her name. She has been a guiding light through a challenging time and I would, and have, recommend her to anyone who is on this journey. In fact, I keep a copy of her book, "Menopause Confidential," on my nightstand for reference!
in New York, NY |
I feel so fortunate to have found Dr. Allmen. I was suffering from a laundry list of perimenopausal symptoms, and neither my regular physician nor my gynecologist seemed to know anything about it. Finally I found my way to Dr. Allmen’s office, and she knew just what to do. Not only is she super-knowledgeable, she also has a great sense of humor. All my stress and confusion is gone, and I feel great! Now I am confident that I can successfully navigate this phase of my life and beyond.
in New York, NY |
I consider myself one of the lucky ones, I relocated to NYC last year and my biggest fear was to find a GYN who could help me through menopause as I had in Baltimore, MD. . I was referred to Dr. Allmen. From my very first encounter, a phone call to meeting her in her office and then buying her book has been the best thing that has happened to me. When I left her office, I was in tears; so happy and relieved she knew exactly what I was going through. . I have recommended to my family and friends
New York, NY |
Dr Allmen was a godsend when I got early menopause after surgery at age 35. She is funny, no nonsense, she will talk to you about ALL you need to know. She sees patients only on Mondays but she is super responsive by email 24/7!
I have gone to Dr. Allmen for years....She is smart and sympathetic==And she listens
in Ft Lauderdale, FL |
She is the one doctor, I actually talk to, get advise from and trust.
Philadelphia, PA |
Dr Allmen is amazing. She is very easy to talk to and extremely knowledgeable. I would never to go anyone else.
in Bronxville, NY |
Dr.Allmen is knowledgeable,honest, easy to understand,practical and funny. A recent health scare had me understandably upset. Dr.Allmen responded immediately. She even found people to respond to my issue on a Friday night! And she checked in all weekend. Wow!
in Bronxville, NY |
Dr. Allmen answered her phone the first time I called and spent a lot of time talking with me about my issues, even though I wasn't her patient at the time. I don't think I've ever had a doctor that generous with their time. She listened carefully and gave me great advice. She I've been in her care, my well-being has improved tremendously.
Westchester area |
My first experience with Dr. Allmen, was when she picked up the phone when I called to schedule an appointment! She resolved my post menopausal issues. My husband and I appreciate the success I've had with all of her recommendations. The only regret I have is that I didn't know about her while I was going through menopause! She listened and asked questions during my visit. Her recommendations helped in a really short time. I recommend her completely!
in New York, NY |
I called to make an appointment, and to my surprise, Dr.Allmen answered the phone. We spoke a bit on the issues that I was experiencing, I made an appointment to see her. At the appointment, there was no wait time, she was knowledgeable, personable and most important very caring. She is awesome, and I am very lucky to have found her.
in Manhattan, NY |
So thankful for the great expertise, kindness, care and straighforward discussions with Dr. TARA Allmen. I always feel ahead of my health and look forward to my annual visit ... Annual visits did not happen "annually" prior to Dr Allmen... So big improvement there also!
in Brooklyn, NY |
Just when I thought I was officially crazy due to out of control menopausal symptoms, Dr. Allmen changed my life. During my initial visit, she spent well over an hour taking my history, asking the right questions, and actually listening to my responses. Her explanations were thorough and actually made sense. This was the first doctor's visit I have had, where I actually felt like I was heard, and I actually left feeling hopeful. She is very responsive to my emails and follows ups quickly.
in Franklin Lakes, NJ |
I began seeing Dr.Allmen two years ago when my menopausal symptoms began to interfere with my day-to-day quality of life. She has been extremely helpful to me, and I could not be more pleased with her knowledge, professionalism, candor and caring nature. She is very responsive to answering questions, both during my visit and any time between visits. She?s personable and her sense of humor is refreshing. I am very grateful to have found Dr. Allmen (so is my husband), and I highly recommend her.
in Vail Codwards, CO |
I have been an extremely satisfied patient of Dr. Allmen for more than 12 years. Not only has she become a friend but has also managed to make the annual check up a most personal and professional experience and has guided me through this new phase of my life with her expertise and professionalism. She is a great listener and always will go to battle for her patients!
in New York, NY |
I have been seeing Dr. Allmen for the last several years after experiencing early onset menopause due to a hysterectomy. It is such a relief to find a doctor that is not only experienced and knowledgable in the issues I'm facing, but who is also extremely caring. She always responds if I reach out to her with a concern. I highly recommend Dr. Allmen.
in New York, NY |
Dr. Allmen has been my gynecologist for ten years. She is a terrific doctor. She takes the time to listen to my specific needs and is proactive and creative in her solutions. I have never had to wait for my appointments. Dr. Allmen is extremely responsive to any questions or concerns I have throughout the year. She is always up-to-date on the latest research and findings in her specialty. As I am now approaching menopause, she has been incredibly helpful in letting me know what to expect.
in New York, NY |
Dr. Allmen is an excellent doctor. She is caring, responsive, detail oriented, disciplined, exact, and even has a good sense of humor. I highly recommend her, especially for women facing menopause.
Greenwich, CT |
Dr. Allmen guided me through surgical menopause in the aftermath of being diagnosed with the BRCA1 gene and undergoing preventive surgery. She thinks outside the box and does everything possible for the individual patient. I highly recommend Dr. Allmen!
Have you seen Dr. Tara Allmen, MD?
Are you Dr. Allmen?

See our Gynecology Specialist at NewYork-Presbyterian/Brooklyn Methodist Hospital

Hospitals where Dr. Allmen has admitting privileges