Dr. Tamara Fountain, MD

Dr. Tamara Fountain, MD

Ophthalmology | Female | 54 years old

89 reviews| Leave a review
You've got options
Here's a few other providers to consider
Narrow your results

Dr. Fountain is committed to patient satisfaction and she enjoys the reward of listening to her patients as well as making sure they understand their conditions and their options for treating it. Surgery can be an overwhelming life decision. Dr. Fountain and her office staff are committed to helping make this process as reassuring as possible.Read more

Personal Bio

Dr. Fountain's Experience

See how Dr. Fountain's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Fountain

Dr. Fountain accepts 10 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Fountain has admitting privileges.

Dr. Fountain's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Fountain to family and friends
Dr. Fountain Says:

Thank you so much to those providing feedback on their experience in our practice.  If it was positive, tell a friend.  If we didn't meet your expectations, please call me or my staff.  We strive for constant improvement and value your assistance in meeting this goal.

Dr. Fountain's Performance
in Buffalo Grove, IL |
There are not enough adjectives or characters in this review to say how much I like Dr. Fountain. I had gone to the "best" ocular facial surgeon in the area four times to have the same surgery (which didn't work). Then I was recommended to Dr. Fountain. HURRAY, it worked. Best recommendation I have ever gotten. Dr. Fountain is beyond professional, kind, caring and has a fabulous personality to boot. Her Nurse Susan is fabulous, as well as her Nurse Lisa, and the front desk is terrific.
in Mount Prospect, IL |
My 3 year old daughter needed surgery to remove a cyst above her eye. After hours of research, I decided to contact Dr. Fountain to perform the surgery. From day one, Dr. Fountain was professional, trustworthy, knowledgeable, courteous and just a great person. After the surgery, she texted and called me to check on my daughter. One week post op and you can hardly see the scar! I could not have asked for a better person and doctor! Would recommend her to anyone in a heartbeat!
in Deerfield, IL |
Dr.Fountain did an amazing job with my Blephoplasty. I highly recommend her professional services and detailed caring. My vision and my appearance has greatly improved.
in McHenry, IL |
I am so happy that Dr. Fountain performed my eye-lid surgery. I researched all of my recommendations and Dr. Fountain was highly rated. I understand why. Everything about my experience was great! The office staff and her assistants were excellent. I highly recommend Dr. Fountain.
in Lake In The Hills, IL |
Dr Fountain and her staff are excellent. They put my mind at ease and answered every question and concern. They were friendly but also very professional. I'm extremely happy with the outcome of my surgery and would highly recommend Dr Fountain.
in Highwood Il |
Dr. Fountain and her staff are compassionate, friendly, knowledgeable, and professional. I have gotten exceptional results after each of my eye surgeries with only minimal discomfort.
in Zion, IL |
Dr. Fountain treated me as if I was her only patient. Explained the procedure so that I understood exactly what would happen & also made me aware of expectations. Results were spot on & I am a happy camper. Was disappointed when I was released from her care. I was treated like family & will recommend her with confidence.
I think you meant to put 5 stars based on your comments. These sites can be so confusing! Thank you so much. It's always bittersweet to say goodbye to my happy patients.
in Glencoe, IL |
Dr. Fountain was the 3rd ocular surgeon I visited before I had my procedure. I felt the other 2 doctors were upselling me additional procedures that I did not feel I needed. Dr. Fountain never suggested additional procedures & assured me that my outcome would be fantastic--which it was! I was very happy & feel that she is an honest doctor who cares more about the patient than her fees.
Such a nice comment, but I want to be clear, as I am with all my patients, no physician can assure any patient of a desired outcome. That is the uncertainty in medicine and the reason why the same surgery on two different patients can have two different outcomes. People are simply not assembly line products which are all the same. That said, my GOAL is always a satisfied patient. Thank you again.
in Wilmette, IL |
Great experience. Caring staff.
in Winnetka, IL |
Excellent results with surgery on eyelid in one say that others wanted to do over two days, Dr. Fountain takes time to carefully explain the procedure and has a superb demeanor.
in Glenview, IL |
I had an A plus experience with dr. Fountain. She preformed a bilateral Blepharoplasty and I love my results. She couldn't have been better both clinically and surgically. I always felt that my questions and concerns were handled with sensitivity and respect.
in McHenry IL |
Dr Fountain is a real pro at what she does. Best doctoring experience I have ever had. Her surgery expertise was successful where two surgery attempts by others failed. She has the unique ability to make medical care a pleasant experience. I highly recommend her.
Have you seen Dr. Tamara Fountain, MD?

Compare Dr. Fountain

Dr. Fountain says...

Dr. Fountain grew up in Minnesota where her mother worked for Pillsbury and her father was a pilot at Northwest Airlines. She has always enjoyed an interest in art and design but pursued math and science studies as a premed at Stanford University.  After Harvard Medical school, she chose a career in ophthalmology and specialized in plastic surgery around the eye.  This was a natural intersection of art and science and allowed Dr. Fountain to combine two of her life's interests.

She has been active in organizational medicine at the national level. She served 15 years with the Ophthalmic Mutual Insurance Company, the largest malpractice insurer of America's ophthalmologists with a managed portfolio of over a quarter of a billion dollars. She served as Chair of the Board 2014-15.  She will assume the presidency of the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery in 2018. This organization is the only society of eye doctors dedicated to plastic surgery.  Dr. Fountain has served 10 years on the Board of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, the largest society of of ophthalmologists with over 30,000 members worldwide.

At the local level, Dr. Fountain has served 3 years as president of the Illinois Association of Ophthalmology and has been a long-time member of the Chicago Ophthalmological Society.

Dr. Fountain is professor of ophthalmology at Rush University in Chicago where she has worked part-time for almost 20 years and served as Section Head, Division of Oculoplastics and Chair of Medical Student Education. She devotes one day a week to teaching medical students and supervising the training of ophthalmology residents.

Dr. Fountain was recently selected to chair the Alumni Fund of Harvard Medical School. She welcomes the opportunity to give back to the institution where she started her career in this fulfilling profession. She still considers it an incredible responsibility and honor to take care of patients and whenever possible, to make their lives better.

Dr. Fountain's Care Philosophy

Dr. Fountain is committed to patient satisfaction and she enjoys the reward of listening to her patients as well as making sure they understand their conditions and their options for treating it.  Surgery can be an overwhelming life decision.  Dr. Fountain and her office staff are committed to helping make this process as reassuring as possible.

Dr. Fountain says...

Dr. Fountain is a surgeon who performs operations of the eye socket (orbit), eyelids and tear drainage system. She does not perform general eye exams for glasses, cataract or glaucoma conditions though her partners offer these services in the Deerfield and Lake Forest offices.

Dr. Fountain says...

Dr. Fountain is trained in surgery of the eye sockets, eyelids and tear drainage system and has been doing these procedures for over 20 years.  Eye socket (orbit) surgery would include broken orbital/cheek bones, orbital tumor biopsy and removal and bulging eyes of thyroid disease.  Eyelid surgery includes cosmetic and non-cosmetic eyelid lifts (blepharoplasty), Botox and chemical peels, droopy eyelid (ptosis) repair, lids that turn in (entropion) or out (ectropion) and removal of benign and malignant eyelid tumors and cysts. Tear drainage (lacrimal) surgery would include bypass surgery for blocked tear drainage ducts and treatment of tear duct infections. Dr. Fountain also performs eye removal surgery when requested by referring eye doctors.

Dr. Fountain performs many procedures in her office surgical suite and for those preferring or requiring a hospital setting, she offers outpatient procedures at NorthShore's Highland Park Hospital.

Dr. Fountain says...

Dr. Fountain's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Ophthalmology
  •  Board certified in Ophthalmology

• President, Illinois Association of Ophthalmology, 2002-2005
    • Board of Directors, Ophthalmic Mutual Insurance Company, 2008 to pr
    • Senior Achievement Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2007
    • Executive Secretary, American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons, 2007-2011
    • Secretariat Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2008, 2010
    • America's Top Ophthalmologists, 2010 to pr
    • Board of Trustees, American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2005-2008
    • Best Doctors, 2006-prese
    • Lashing Out, April 2009
    • Ophthalmology: The Next Generation, Dec. 2011
    • Section Editor, Ptosis. Pearls and Pitfall in Cosmetic Oculoplastic Surgery, 2009
    • Perioperative Systemic Anticoagulation in Oculoplastics Procedures: Balancing the Risk, 2010
    • “Muller Muscle-Conjunctiva Resection (MMCR) for Blepharoptosis In Patients With Glaucoma Filtering Blebs”,, 2007
    • Periorbital Skin Cancers: The Dermatologist’s Perspective, 2006
    • EyeSmart Injury Prevention Campaign, July 1, 20
    • Latisse Interview on MSNBC's Dr. Nancy Snyderman Show, 2009
    • Champagne Cork Injuries, Dec. 2008
    • Eyelid Surgery Has More Than Cosmetic Benefits, 12-8-11

No malpractice history found for Illinois.

Why It Matters: Dr. Fountain's Board Certifications

• Ophthalmology

• Bell's Palsy
  • Benign Neoplasm of Eye
  • Blind Hypertensive Eye
  • Blocked Tear Duct
  • Chalazion
  • Drooping Eyelids (Ptosis)
  • Dry Eyes

University of Southern California

Completed in 1996

Stanford University

Graduated in 1984

Dr. Fountain does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Fountain and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Ophthalmology