Oculoplastic Surgery  |
Dr. Tamara Fountain, MD
Dr. Fountain grew up in Minnesota where her mother worked for Pillsbury and her father was a pilot at Northwest Airlines. She has always enjoyed an interest in art and design but pursued math and science studies as a premed at Stanford University. After Harvard Medical school, she chose a career in ophthalmology and specialized in plastic surgery around the eye. This was a natural intersection of art and science and allowed Dr. Fountain to combine two of her life's interests. She has been active in organizational medicine at the national level. She served 15 years with the Ophthalmic Mutual Insurance Company, the largest malpractice insurer of America's ophthalmologists with a managed portfolio of over a quarter of a billion dollars. She served as Chair of the Board 2014-15. She will assume the presidency of the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery in 2018. This organization is the only society of eye doctors dedicated to plastic surgery. Dr. Fountain has served 10 years on the Board of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, the largest society of of ophthalmologists with over 30,000 members worldwide. At the local level, Dr. Fountain has served 3 years as president of the Illinois Association of Ophthalmology and has been a long-time member of the Chicago Ophthalmological Society. Dr. Fountain is professor of ophthalmology at Rush University in Chicago where she has worked part-time for almost 20 years and served as Section Head, Division of Oculoplastics and Chair of Medical Student Education. She devotes one day a week to teaching medical students and supervising the training of ophthalmology residents. Dr. Fountain was recently selected to chair the Alumni Fund of Harvard Medical School. She welcomes the opportunity to give back to the institution where she started her career in this fulfilling profession. She still considers it an incredible responsibility and honor to take care of patients and whenever possible, to make their lives better.

740 Waukegan Rd Ste 360

Deerfield, IL 60015

• AvMed

Learn about Dr. Fountain

See how frequently Dr. Fountain performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Entropion
Eyelid Surgery
Drooping Eyelids (Ptosis)

Dr. Fountain's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Fountain "Dr. Fountain is committed to patient satisfaction and she enjoys the reward of listening to her patients as well as making sure they understand their conditions and their options for treating it.  Surgery can be an overwhelming life decision.  Dr. Fountain and her office staff are committed to helping make this process as reassuring as possible. "

• Oculoplastic Surgery

• Ophthalmology
    Accredited by: American Board of Ophthalmology*

• Bell's Palsy
  • Benign Neoplasm of Eye
  • Blind Hypertensive Eye
  • Blocked Tear Duct
  • Drooping Eyelids (Ptosis)
  • Dry Eyes

• Stitches
  • Surgical Biopsy
  • Tear Drainage Surgery
  • Tear Duct Surgery

No malpractice history found for Illinois.

• Stanford University
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1996

• President, Illinois Association of Ophthalmology, 2002-2005
  • Board of Directors, Ophthalmic Mutual Insurance Company, 2008 to pr
  • Senior Achievement Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2007
  • Executive Secretary, American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons, 2007-2011
  • Secretariat Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2008, 2010
  • America's Top Ophthalmologists, 2010 to pr
  • Board of Trustees, American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2005-2008
  • Best Doctors, 2006-prese
  • Lashing Out, April 2009
  • Ophthalmology: The Next Generation, Dec. 2011
  • Section Editor, Ptosis. Pearls and Pitfall in Cosmetic Oculoplastic Surgery, 2009
  • Perioperative Systemic Anticoagulation in Oculoplastics Procedures: Balancing the Risk, 2010
  • “Muller Muscle-Conjunctiva Resection (MMCR) for Blepharoptosis In Patients With Glaucoma Filtering Blebs”,, 2007
  • Periorbital Skin Cancers: The Dermatologist’s Perspective, 2006
  • EyeSmart Injury Prevention Campaign, July 1, 20
  • Latisse Interview on MSNBC's Dr. Nancy Snyderman Show, 2009
  • Champagne Cork Injuries, Dec. 2008
  • Eyelid Surgery Has More Than Cosmetic Benefits, 12-8-11

Dr. Fountain does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Fountain and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Fountain's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Fountain to family and friends
Dr. Fountain Says:

Thank you so much to those providing feedback on their experience in our practice.  If it was positive, tell a friend.  If we didn't meet your expectations, please call me or my staff.  We strive for constant improvement and value your assistance in meeting this goal.

Dr. Fountain's Performance
I had a fantastic experience with Dr Fountain and her staff. Scheduling was smooth & the front desk were friendly. Her nurse Susan was excellent. She kept me up to date with my insurance approval status and prepared me well for surgery. Dr Fountain is very professional and took the time to explain everything and answer all of my questions. My surgery went well, and I had a great outcome. I work in healthcare and know excellent care when I see it. I would highly recommend this practice.
Lake Villa, IL |
Dr. Fountain performed a functional upper blepharoplasty on both eyes. The results are amazing. I'm so glad that my regular eye doctor referred me to Dr. Fountain. Her skill is superb. Her care is professional, yet personal and caring. Susan is also a great asset to the practice. She took extra time and care to calm my nerves while scheduling the surgery - and was helpful and patient when I called back with additional procedural questions. I would recommend this team to anybody any time.
Chicago, IL |
Dr. Fountain was compassionate, caring, and absolutely professional. She knew the procedure would be extremely uncomfortable and was very empathetic and personal. She was a very caring professional.
in Buffalo Grove, IL |
Thank you Dr. Fountain, you probably saved my life, possibly my wife's and others. The experience with you and your staff was exceptional. Everyone made me feel like I was part of the family. The surgery was all new to me and I was very assured by you ad your staff. I am happy that I can now see without always raising my eyebrows,and can safely drive without endangering my passengers and others on the road. Great experience.
in wilmette, IL |
I recently completed week 9 of my double Upper Blepharoplasty (drooping eyelid). I was very pleased w the surgical results performed by Dr Fountain. In my opinion, her surgical skills are as much artistic as technical, based on my improved results. Although my ocular anatomy is bilaterally symmetrical, my drooping was not, the right eye sagging much more than the left. Post op results were as symmetrical as this patient will ever be, and I am grateful to Dr Fountain's and her wonderful staff.
in Chicago, IL |
Dr. Fountain has been treating me for Graves' Eye Disease for about 2+ years, and could not recommend her more highly. She has shown tremendous care, concern, patience, and compassion while the disease has run its' course and I could finally get surgery. She made me feel instantly comfortable, never rushes through an appointment, thoroughly answers questions, has great follow-up, and referred me to a terrific ENT doctor (Joseph Raviv) who did an endoscopic sinus surgery. She's the best!
My experience with Dr. Fountain was exceptional. Dr. Fountain not only provided excellent surgical skills and results, but she also gave me the opportunity to see a bright, dedicated physician who really cares about her patients. I won't hesitate to recommend Dr. Fountain to others.
Chicago, IL |
I had eyelid ptosis corrected by Dr Fountain and could not be happier. She was recommended by my ophthalmologist, who told me that's who she would go to if she needed surgery. Dr Fountain's assistant was very helpful in explaining the procedure and dealing with my insurance company. I'm grateful for the good care she gave me, and very satisfied with my result.
Chicago, IL |
Dr Fountain is a skilled ophthalmologist with a lovely, reassuring demeanor. She did a great removing a brown spot over my left eyelid. The results were amazing. I would recommend in a heartbeat.
in Buffalo Grove, IL |
There are not enough adjectives or characters in this review to say how much I like Dr. Fountain. I had gone to the "best" ocular facial surgeon in the area four times to have the same surgery (which didn't work). Then I was recommended to Dr. Fountain. HURRAY, it worked. Best recommendation I have ever gotten. Dr. Fountain is beyond professional, kind, caring and has a fabulous personality to boot. Her Nurse Susan is fabulous, as well as her Nurse Lisa, and the front desk is terrific.
in Mount Prospect, IL |
My 3 year old daughter needed surgery to remove a cyst above her eye. After hours of research, I decided to contact Dr. Fountain to perform the surgery. From day one, Dr. Fountain was professional, trustworthy, knowledgeable, courteous and just a great person. After the surgery, she texted and called me to check on my daughter. One week post op and you can hardly see the scar! I could not have asked for a better person and doctor! Would recommend her to anyone in a heartbeat!
in Deerfield, IL |
Dr.Fountain did an amazing job with my Blephoplasty. I highly recommend her professional services and detailed caring. My vision and my appearance has greatly improved.
in McHenry, IL |
I am so happy that Dr. Fountain performed my eye-lid surgery. I researched all of my recommendations and Dr. Fountain was highly rated. I understand why. Everything about my experience was great! The office staff and her assistants were excellent. I highly recommend Dr. Fountain.
in Lake In The Hills, IL |
Dr Fountain and her staff are excellent. They put my mind at ease and answered every question and concern. They were friendly but also very professional. I'm extremely happy with the outcome of my surgery and would highly recommend Dr Fountain.
in Highwood Il |
Dr. Fountain and her staff are compassionate, friendly, knowledgeable, and professional. I have gotten exceptional results after each of my eye surgeries with only minimal discomfort.
in Zion, IL |
Dr. Fountain treated me as if I was her only patient. Explained the procedure so that I understood exactly what would happen & also made me aware of expectations. Results were spot on & I am a happy camper. Was disappointed when I was released from her care. I was treated like family & will recommend her with confidence.
I think you meant to put 5 stars based on your comments. These sites can be so confusing! Thank you so much. It's always bittersweet to say goodbye to my happy patients.
in Glencoe, IL |
Dr. Fountain was the 3rd ocular surgeon I visited before I had my procedure. I felt the other 2 doctors were upselling me additional procedures that I did not feel I needed. Dr. Fountain never suggested additional procedures & assured me that my outcome would be fantastic--which it was! I was very happy & feel that she is an honest doctor who cares more about the patient than her fees.
Such a nice comment, but I want to be clear, as I am with all my patients, no physician can assure any patient of a desired outcome. That is the uncertainty in medicine and the reason why the same surgery on two different patients can have two different outcomes. People are simply not assembly line products which are all the same. That said, my GOAL is always a satisfied patient. Thank you again.
in Wilmette, IL |
Great experience. Caring staff.
in Winnetka, IL |
Excellent results with surgery on eyelid in one say that others wanted to do over two days, Dr. Fountain takes time to carefully explain the procedure and has a superb demeanor.
in Glenview, IL |
I had an A plus experience with dr. Fountain. She preformed a bilateral Blepharoplasty and I love my results. She couldn't have been better both clinically and surgically. I always felt that my questions and concerns were handled with sensitivity and respect.
in McHenry IL |
Dr Fountain is a real pro at what she does. Best doctoring experience I have ever had. Her surgery expertise was successful where two surgery attempts by others failed. She has the unique ability to make medical care a pleasant experience. I highly recommend her.
Have you seen Dr. Tamara Fountain, MD?

Visit Dr. Fountain