Dr. Tad Gerlinger, MD

Joint Replacement & Reconstruction Orthopedics | Male

Dr. Tad Gerlinger, MD
Dr. Tad Gerlinger, MD is a joint replacement & reconstruction orthopedics doctor who practices in Chicago, IL. He is 49 years old and has been practicing for 23 years. Dr. Gerlinger is affiliated with Rush University Medical Center.

Dr. Gerlinger's Care Philosophy

Dr. Gerlinger specializes in Adult Hip and Knee reconstruction. This entails procedures designed to reconstruct the arthritic hip and knee as well as treat hips and knees that have been previously replaced but are failing due to wear, infection, and other conditions. We employ a very personalized approach to your care with responsive administrative support and skilled nursing. This team approach ensures the shortest possible hospital stay and recovery. Our goal is to quickly return you to the activities that you value most.

Dr. Gerlinger's Experience

See how Dr. Gerlinger's experience matches your preferences.

View Video

Visiting Dr. Gerlinger

Dr. Gerlinger accepts 6 insurance carriers

Dr. Gerlinger is now accepting new patients

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Gerlinger has admitting privileges.

Dr. Gerlinger's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Gerlinger to family and friends
    Dr. Gerlinger's Performance
    in Chicago, IL |
    I'm 3 weeks post-op and feeling pretty awesome. The entire experience from pre-op to yesterday's check-up have been great, totally professional. If you're having hip surgery, Dr. G. is the man to see.
    in Chicago, IL |
    I had my right hip replaced on June 22, 2017 and the entire team of Dr Gerlinger was as professional and pleasant as you can be. From the first visit for evaluation to my 6 week post op visit the entire team at Rush was a delight to experience and get to know. Everyone was outstanding from every aspect. I would highly recommend them and have already to a good friend of mine. Thank you to Doctor G, Alissa and the entire team. You guys are the best of the best. Well done.
    in Herscher, IL |
    Total hip replacement went as smooth as silk. Dr Gerlinger and staff run as smooth as clockwork. I'll be coming back for the other hip and knees when they're ready. No question.
    in Chicago, IL |
    With Dr. Gerlinger's encouragement, I had total hip replacement surgery at 50. I can return to an active lifestyle (skiing, golf, hockey) at a time in my life when I can still enjoy these activities. Glad I didn't wait until I was more "age appropriate" for this procedure. Recovery from surgery has been a breeze. Never used crutches or cane after day one. PT begins immediately. Out of work for only one week, off pain meds within two weeks, return to normal activities within six weeks.
    in Chicago, IL |
    Dr. Gerlinger and his entire team were skilled, professional, patient, and caring throughout my entire left hip replacement experience. I was always provided with personal and prompt attention to my concerns. I highly recommend Dr. Gerlinger. You won't be sorry. I'm grateful.
    San Jose, CA |
    I am 45 years old and have had 7 surgeries on my right knee! I have seen my fair share of Orthopedic Surgeons and Dr. Gerlinger is by far one of the most skilled caring doctors I have encountered in a very long time! I had my knee replaced last year and went in for my year check up. The care I received from Dr. Gerlinger and his team was beyond Exceptional!!!!!!
    Las Vegas, NV |
    2 hip replacements w/in 6 weeks. easy bike riding and dirt road walking 6 weeks after 2nd. all good.
    in Oak lawn Illinois |
    Hello my is Marisela Kennedy and my experience with Dr. Gerlinger was awesome. I had surgery on my left hip, last December. Prior to the surgery, I was in horrible pain,in my hip due to arthritis. My pain affected work,and all activities. One month after the surgery I was walking without pain. I went back to work 2 months after the surgery. I never imagined that I would be pain free. I'm So thankful and blessed that Dr Berlinger performed the surgery.The whole experience was beautiful. God Bless
    Lisle, IL |
    Excellent doctor! Partial knee replacement, no pain, fast recovery! Doing all my activities after 3 1/2 weeks with no pain, stiffness or limp!! Great staff. Would recommend Dr. Gerlinger to everyone!!
    in New Buffalo, MI |
    A really nice caring doctor. He was there for my wife.
    in wheatfield, IN |
    I've had three full knee replacements, two more to change a liner in my knee, dr gerlinger just changed the lower portion of my knee replacement so he did a revision .he is very good at what he does and I would not want another doctor .i.ve been going to these doctors for about 17 years and now that I have dr gerlinger ,he is the best at all he does but for my revision he did tremendous. great doctor that cares
    in Woodstock, IL |
    Referred to Dr Gerlinger by one of his colleagues at Rush. I was impressed by the thorough explanation of my options and alternative treatment paths. Kate is the best nurse I've met--she makes working with Dr. Gerlinger and his team a great experience. My TKR went very well and I appreciated the calm demeanor of the Rush team at my follow-up appointments. This was my 10th knee surgery and by far the most professional and satisfying one by far. Highly recommended.
    Crystal Lake, IL |
    Dr. Gerlinger and his team could not be better!! I have researched & visited 3 other Orthopedic Facilities and by far Rush & Dr. G & Team treated me with the utmost respect & expertise. From my 1st consult through post knee replacement surgery I was given explicit answers to all questions that I asked over & over. Their kindness & understanding of my fears & how well I was treated before & after surgery was incredible. I would HIGHLY recommend Dr. G for his extreme expertise as a surgeon!! THX U
    in Riverdale, IL |
    Dr. Gerlinger performed both of my total knee replacements about a year apart. Before having this done, I could barely walk due to severe arthritis. Today, I am pain free and have two very straight legs and can bend and flex my knees as never before. Dr. Gerlinger and his staff are very personable yet very professional. His assistant, Kate, explained the surgery in depth so that I would be comfortable with what was to be performed. The entire staff at Rush Medical Center were great as well.
    in Palos Park |
    Dr. Gerlinger and his staff are the best. I had a difficult situation and couldn't be more happy with my total knee replacement!!!
    in Burr Ridge, IL |
    Dr Gerlinger performed a complete knee replacement on my left knee 6 weeks ago. The incision was minimal and the recovery has been much faster than the recovery I experienced on my right knee replacement six years ago. I was walking without any assistive devices within 2 weeks and no limp after 3 weeks. At the 5-6 week mark of PT I could bend the knee 120 degrees. Dr Gerlinger's staff was completely accessible, professional and courteous throughout the entire experience.
    in Marcellus, MI |
    Dr. Gerlinger and his staff were fantastic. I was in need of a new left knee and even though I'm a Michigan resident, I decided to stay with Midwest Ortho who in turn put me in contact with Dr. Gerlinger. We discussed options and quickly came to the conclusion that it was time for a new knee after years of surgeries, shots, etc. He studied the nuances of my case and did an oustanding job. He's accessible and explains everything. His staff is absolutely first class as well!!
    Downers Grove, IL |
    I can't say enough good about my experience with Dr. Gerlinger and his staff. I was a reluctant patient; hoping that the pain in my hip would eventually go away, and heal itself. He offered council and a logic explanation that my hip wasn't going to miraculously correct itself. His demeanor was very respectful and matter of fact; of which, exactly what I needed to finally pull the trigger and get my life back.
    St John, IN |
    I had a very good experience with Dr. Gerlinger. I'd highly recommend him.
    in St Charles, IL |
    Dr. Gerlinger and his staff at Midwest Orthopedics at Rush are top notch. I was quite concerned about having any form of surgery. Regardless, with quality of life being my strongest motivating desire the explanations presented to me about my condition assured me I was in good hands. I am so glad to have found Dr. Gerlinger and his staff.
    in Chicago, IL |
    Dr. Gerlinger and his team are outstanding. From my initial visit to my year follow-up appointment after having total hip replacement surgery was nothing less than efficient, professional, painless, and overall a great experience. His team is professional, knowledgeable, responsive, and pretty much an extension of Dr. G, Kate his head nurse is phenomenal. Rush was amazing, and the overall experience was flawless. The team approach is wonderful. His team is topnotch. Thank you!!!
    in Woodridge |
    Dr Gerlinger accepted my complicated knee surgery when 2 other surgeons would not. He is so caring and patient and far exceeded even my most hopeful expectations. He has an amazing staff, in particular Kate who helped me with all my paperwork and always followed up the same day. I have had several surgeries in the past, but never had the follow up that Dr Gerlinger and his team provides. I received so many texts answering questions and offering encouragement. I highly recommend!
    Chicago, IL |
    The best: compassionate, caring professional whose staff made it possible for me to get the hip replacement sooner than anticipated.
    in Dyer, IN |
    A top surgeon in the Chicagoland area. Dr. Gerlinger lays out all the options to you and its your choice. He will give his recommendation. Extremely satisfied with Dr. Gerlinger and his fantastic staff. Keep up the good work.
    in Valparaiso, IN |
    After two failed hip replacements, I called Dr. Gerlinger for an appointment. From the very beginning his whole staff was friendly, courteous, and first rate. He spent the time and reviewed my case thoroughly and let me know what to expect from the surgery. After three weeks, I'm ready to throw that walker away. Thank you Dr. Gerlinger and your staff
    in Chicago, IL |
    I received excellent from a highly skilled surgeon.
    in Chicago, IL |
    Dr Gerlinger did my hip replacement 4 weeks ago. I found Dr. Gerlinger and his staff very genuine and caring. I was able to go home the day of my surgery and sleep in my own bed. Everything is going great. I would highly recommend Dr. Gerlinger. I have more surgeries to come and I know who my surgeon will be.
    in Chicago, IL |
    Great surgeon. The job he did on my knee replacement was excellent. I left the hospital the next day, and didn't need crutches after 3 days. After 6 weeks, I have all normal movements with no pain.
    in Frankfort, IL |
    Excellent staff....excellent surgeon....excellent courtesy!
    in Berwyn, IL |
    Dr. Gerlinger is a great surgeon. I am writing this review 8 weeks post surgery. I have almost no scar and my knee is healing well after total knee replacement surgery. Expect that you will be stiff and need to exercise your knee for 6 months to a year. I would recommend Dr. Gerlinger to anyone considering this surgery. The rest of the staff and hospital (Rush) were great. A bit of advise: research physical therapy.
    in Steger, IL |
    Dr. Gerlinger is the best at what he does. I would not trust anyone else. Had 2 knee replacements this year, one in January and one in May. The results are amazing! Last year I couldn't walk a block, and now after just six weeks of the surgery I'm walking miles! My only regret, I should have done it years ago!
    in Palos Heights, IL |
    He was patient and kind, soft spoken and answered all my preop questions. Made me feel like I was part of the Rush family. The Rush team was just awesome and everything he told me I would be able to do WITHOUT PAIN was spot on. Loved the text messages daily during rehab just to give positive enforcement at home with the PT. Can't wait to see where I will be in 12 weeks post op, back to gardening, tying my gym shoes and walking without a limp. Thanks so much for the new hip. I recommend.
    in Illinois |
    I could not be more satisfied with my experience and outcome of my hip replacement surgery performed by Dr. Gerlinger.
    in Chicago, IL |
    Dr. Gerlinger was attentive and thorough in answering all my questions without rushing me. I was in a great deal of pain before having a total hip replacement surgery performed by Dr. Gerlinger. Now, six weeks post surgery, I can walk pain free and no limp. I feel the quality of my life will be greatly improved by this surgery and I am very grateful to Dr. Gerlinger for giving me back my mobility.
    in Bellwood, IL |
    No outcome can be completely guaranteed but what he said is exactly what happened and I'm completely satisfied. If I had to have a hip replacement again Dr. Gerlinger you're my only choice.
    in Chicago, IL |
    Dr Gerliner spent exactly five minutes with me, and it seemed like he couldn't get away from me fast enough. He told me because of my size I would be too risky of a patient, so if people tell you that they handle difficult patients do not believe it. All they will help you with is how to find the exit, and even that will be delegated to a subordinate.
    in Chicago, Il |
    This is feedback of highest praise for Dr. Gerlinger and his team at Rush Hospital in Chicago! My experience from preop to at home therapy was well coordinated throughout the process with excellent results for me.. Kudos to Dr. Gerllinger! Thank you!
    in Chicago, IL |
    Great hip replacement experience! I'm 64 and I thought about going to a rehab facility because we have a number of stairs and I didn't think my husband could handle taking care of me. Dr Gerlinger said, hips just work - if you can do stairs before surgery, you can do stairs when you go home. I found it hard to believe, but he was right! No problems. Quick recovery. Low pain level. Much different experience than my younger brother who had a different Doctor. I would highly recommend him.
    Have you seen Dr. Tad Gerlinger, MD?
    Are you Dr. Gerlinger?

Dr. Gerlinger's Care Philosophy

Dr. Gerlinger says...

COL(Ret) Gerlinger is a Past President of the Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons and is the Co-Program Director for the SOMOS/AAOS/OTA Disaster Response Course. He has served as a Representative, Board of Specialty Societies, and on the Education Committee for the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Dr. Gerlinger currently is a Consultant on the International Committee Disaster Preparedness Project Team and serves on the Central Instructional Course Committee(Former Chair) and Educational Track Committee for the AAOS. He is also a reviewer for Military Medicine andthe Journal of Arthroplasty, and is the originating online co-editor for the 'Disaster Preparedness Toolbox', Wheelessonline. Currently he serves as a Co-director of the Adult Reconstruction Fellowship at Rush.

Dr. Gerlinger's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Joint Replacement & Reconstruction Orthopedics
    •  Board certified in Orthopedic Surgery

Dr. Gerlinger has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for Illinois.

Why It Matters: Dr. Gerlinger's Board Certifications

• Complications of Joint Prosthesis
    • Hip Fracture
    • Hip Sprain
    • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
    • Osteoarthritis of Hip and Thigh

Rush University Medical Center

Completed in 2005

United States Military Academy

Graduated in 1990

Dr. Gerlinger does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Gerlinger and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Joint Replacement & Reconstruction Orthopedics