General Surgery  |
Dr. Susan Winchester, MD
Dr. Susan Winchester, MD is a general surgery doctor who practices in Birmingham, AL. She is 68 years old and has been practicing for 34 years. Dr. Winchester is affiliated with Brookwood Medical Center and St. Vincent's Birmingham.

Birmingham Breast Care

800 Saint Vincents Dr Ste 640

Birmingham, AL 35205

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of California
  • CHAMPVA
  • Golden Rule
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)

Learn about Dr. Winchester

It is our intent to "put the patient in the center of the page". We strive to provide a timely diagnosis using the least invasive technique -- often on the day of your 1st visit. We offer multiple biopsy methods directly in our office. It is important that our patients receive the most thorough and expeditious treatment while we recognize and attempt to alleviate their anxiety. Our entire care team goes the extra mile to ensure you receive the best care possible. Our patient navigator provides extensive support to all of our cancer patients -- guiding them through the path of their treatment and care. It is our belief that we are called to care for patients' body, mind, and spirit. We would be honored to care for you.

Dr. Winchester's Experience

Dr. Winchester's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in General Surgery

• Inflammatory Breast Cancer
  • Invasive Breast Cancer
  • Invasive Ductal Carcinoma
  • Invasive Lobular Carcinoma
  • Lobular Carcinoma in Situ (LCIS)
  • Locally Advanced Breast Cancer

• Nipple-Sparing Mastectomy
  • Partial Mastectomy
  • Port Placements or Replacements
  • Skin-Sparing Mastectomy

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Alabama.

• Medical College Of Georgia School Of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 1983
  • Georgia Baptist Hospital
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1985
  • Brooklyn Caledonian Hospital
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1989

Dr. Winchester has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Winchester does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Winchester and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Winchester's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Winchester to family and friends
3.7
Dr. Winchester's Performance
in Wellington, Al |
Dr Winchester is the Best!!! She took care of me when I found out I had breast cancer a year ago this month. Did not waste time, got me in with test and help me make the best decisions for my situation. I'm so thankful for her and her staff! The are all amazing! I also really like her new partner Dr Thomas. I highly recommend either doctor!
in Anniston, AL |
I am 51 years old and was diagnosed with breast cancer in December 2016 after having a normal mammogram the year before. The compassion and professionalism shown to me by Dr. Winchester and her entire staff was exceptional. Every question was answered. They knew I was afraid, uncertain, and shocked at the news of having "cancer". Dr. Winchester and her staff took care of every detail of my pre-op as well as post-op care. They treat me like family. I highly recommend Dr. Susan Winchester.
in Alabama |
I love Dr Winchester. She is very personable and compassionate. When I was diagnosed with breast cancer she sat down with my husband and me and thoroughly explain my options. She knew how frightened I was and calmed me and said we will get though this together. You would be fortunate to have her as your surgeon.
in Birmingham, Al |
I've been seeing Dr. Winchester since 2009. She is a warm, caring, and knowledgeable physician who I trust completely with my breast care! I have nothing but the utmost respect for her and everyone in her office. I can't say enough great things about this practice!
in Heflin, Al |
I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in July of 2016. My OBGYN recommended Dr. Winchester for a biopsy, after receiving the diagnosis we opted or a second opinion and gene test agreed to by Dr. Winchester. It was decided with our oncologist that my best treatment would be systemic chemo and then surgery.My surgery was February 6th, no sign of cancer at the time of surgery or pathology test! Dr. Winchester is a warm genuinely caring doctor who guided us thru our decisions, we highly recommend her!
in Trussville, AL |
Dr. Winchester was wonderful and helped me through very difficult diagnosis. She and her staff were knowledgeable and caring and patient.
in Cleveland, TN |
Dr. Winchester and her husband have always been there for me in times of pain. When it comes to taking care of someone, Dr. Winchester and her staff put in maximum effort, making sure they receive the kindness and treatment they need. Best doctor ever!
in Birmingham, AL |
Dr. Winchester is the most thorough doctor I have ever seen. She made sure that she knew all about my past medical problems with my breast and she did a great job explaining everything to me. Her staff are all so friendly and caring. They make you feel like family and remember things about you when you come back.
in Birmingham, AL |
Dr. Winchester explained everything to me. Another doctor I saw before scared me to death and told me I didn't have any options. Dr. Winchester took a lot of time with me to go over my results and tell me all the things that I could choose from. More doctors need to learn from her how to care for people.
in Birmingham, AL |
Dr. Winchester has such a calming presence and was so wonderful in preparing me for my biopsy and explaining the results. No one ever wants to deal with cancer but I appreciate the way she told me every option available and let me choose without trying to pressure me into a decision. I will cherish her forever for taking such good care of me.
in Birmingham |
I couldn't have asked for a more kind, compassionate surgeon with expertise in her field. She took the time to thoroughly explain my cancer and treatment options. She even prayed with me. I saw her prior to surgery and she went over all that was going to happen to me. Her staff is wonderful. I got excellent care. In my opinion she is the breast doctor in Birmingham.
in Birmingham, AL |
I would recommend Dr. Winchester to anyone in need of a caring and dedicated physician. She has been my surgeon for several years and I have never had a problem with the care that I received. I have complete trust in her knowledge and skills.
in Birmingham Al |
Dr Susan B Winchester became my surgery in 2006 when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Dr Winchester exemplified on my first visit that I had meet a person that would treat me as a person that would listen to my concerns and from there together we would discuss my procedures and care for my individual needs after surgery. I'm also a woman that rely on my faith to help me physically and mentally- Dr Winchester again exemplified it was no problem!! The conclusion is she is a superior doctor!!
in Birmingham, AL |
I was terrified about having a biopsy but Dr. Winchester put my mind at ease and talked to me through everything she did. She was very compassionate and explained everything to me in detail. The staff in the office was also very kind and support through everything. They called and let me know the results right when they said they would be back. I had to wait a while in the office but when she was with me I felt like I was her only patient. I'm glad to have such a wonderful doctor to see.
in Birmingham, AL |
If you read nothing else please read this, do not go see Dr. Winchester for anything. Find another doctor. Change hospitals if you have to. There isn't enough room here to detail what happened to me but please take my word for it. When you have breast cancer you need everyone on your team pulling for you. She should not be on your team. Nor should her staff. She may have good surgical skills but judging by her biopsy skills I highly doubt it.
Birmingham, AL |
I also always wait a very long time for my appointments. My issue is with the billing department. After a breast biopsy I was charged with $370 plus my co-pay. I was told that's the portion my insurance did not covered. I checked my insurance and discovered that procedure was covered and they paid them in full. I called the billing office immediately and left her many messages for 5 months! She has never calls me back. I'm still waiting to be reimbursed!!! I just contacted the Attorney General!
in Birmingham, AL |
I would not recommend not just Dr. Winchester, but any Doctor who's back office looks like a tornado hit it! You are guaranteed to have a 1-2 hour wait in the very small waiting area. The nurse staff, although they were very nice, they all looked like they needed a vacation. Dr. Winchester did not perform the procedure.Through the entire procedure, the staff made un-nerving comments, like oh dear goodness gracious, ewww! Did not make me feel comfortable at all! I had a biopsy.
in Bham Al |
She missed a cyst shown to be suspicious on my breast and lacerated a wrong spot. I returned to her office to repeat the same procedure within a few minutes and was told it would be in 5 days. I was given another appointment. I worried for 5 days. This visit was the most painful procedure I have ever endured... Biopsy taken. Face down on table, breast pulled thru hole, feet and hands clamped down. No numbing! A machine which sounded like a wooden drill took the sample. Pain! I changed doc!!!
Have you seen Dr. Susan Winchester, MD?
Are you Dr. Winchester?

Visit Dr. Winchester

Dr. Winchester accepts 17 insurance carriers
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of California
    Dental Blue 100/200/300
  • CHAMPVA
  • Golden Rule
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)

Hospitals where Dr. Winchester has admitting privileges