Dr. Susan B. Winchester, MD

Dr. Susan B. Winchester, MD

General Surgery | Female | 67 years old

It is our intent to "put the patient in the center of the page". We strive to provide a timely diagnosis using the least invasive technique -- often on the day of your 1st visit. We offer multiple biopsy methods directly in our office. It is important that our patients receive the most thorough and expeditious treatment while we recognize and attempt to alleviate their anxiety. Our entire care team goes the extra mile to ensure you receive the best care possible. Our patient navigator provides extensive support to all of our cancer patients -- guiding them through the path of their treatment and care. It is our belief that we are called to care for patients' body, mind, and spirit. We would be honored to care for you.Read more

Dr. Winchester's Experience

See how Dr. Winchester's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Winchester

Dr. Winchester accepts 17 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Winchester has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

Experience with Dr. Winchester
Dr. Winchester's Office & Staff
    31 – 45 minutes (38)
in Cleveland, TN |
Dr. Winchester and her husband have always been there for me in times of pain. When it comes to taking care of someone, Dr. Winchester and her staff put in maximum effort, making sure they receive the kindness and treatment they need. Best doctor ever!
in Birmingham, AL |
Dr. Winchester is the most thorough doctor I have ever seen. She made sure that she knew all about my past medical problems with my breast and she did a great job explaining everything to me. Her staff are all so friendly and caring. They make you feel like family and remember things about you when you come back.
in Birmingham, AL |
Dr. Winchester explained everything to me. Another doctor I saw before scared me to death and told me I didn't have any options. Dr. Winchester took a lot of time with me to go over my results and tell me all the things that I could choose from. More doctors need to learn from her how to care for people.
in Birmingham, AL |
Dr. Winchester has such a calming presence and was so wonderful in preparing me for my biopsy and explaining the results. No one ever wants to deal with cancer but I appreciate the way she told me every option available and let me choose without trying to pressure me into a decision. I will cherish her forever for taking such good care of me.
in Birmingham |
I couldn't have asked for a more kind, compassionate surgeon with expertise in her field. She took the time to thoroughly explain my cancer and treatment options. She even prayed with me. I saw her prior to surgery and she went over all that was going to happen to me. Her staff is wonderful. I got excellent care. In my opinion she is the breast doctor in Birmingham.
in Birmingham, AL |
I would recommend Dr. Winchester to anyone in need of a caring and dedicated physician. She has been my surgeon for several years and I have never had a problem with the care that I received. I have complete trust in her knowledge and skills.
in Birmingham Al |
Dr Susan B Winchester became my surgery in 2006 when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Dr Winchester exemplified on my first visit that I had meet a person that would treat me as a person that would listen to my concerns and from there together we would discuss my procedures and care for my individual needs after surgery. I'm also a woman that rely on my faith to help me physically and mentally- Dr Winchester again exemplified it was no problem!! The conclusion is she is a superior doctor!!
in Birmingham, AL |
I was terrified about having a biopsy but Dr. Winchester put my mind at ease and talked to me through everything she did. She was very compassionate and explained everything to me in detail. The staff in the office was also very kind and support through everything. They called and let me know the results right when they said they would be back. I had to wait a while in the office but when she was with me I felt like I was her only patient. I'm glad to have such a wonderful doctor to see.
in Birmingham, AL |
If you read nothing else please read this, do not go see Dr. Winchester for anything. Find another doctor. Change hospitals if you have to. There isn't enough room here to detail what happened to me but please take my word for it. When you have breast cancer you need everyone on your team pulling for you. She should not be on your team. Nor should her staff. She may have good surgical skills but judging by her biopsy skills I highly doubt it.
Birmingham, AL |
I also always wait a very long time for my appointments. My issue is with the billing department. After a breast biopsy I was charged with $370 plus my co-pay. I was told that's the portion my insurance did not covered. I checked my insurance and discovered that procedure was covered and they paid them in full. I called the billing office immediately and left her many messages for 5 months! She has never calls me back. I'm still waiting to be reimbursed!!! I just contacted the Attorney General!
in Birmingham, AL |
I would not recommend not just Dr. Winchester, but any Doctor who's back office looks like a tornado hit it! You are guaranteed to have a 1-2 hour wait in the very small waiting area. The nurse staff, although they were very nice, they all looked like they needed a vacation. Dr. Winchester did not perform the procedure.Through the entire procedure, the staff made un-nerving comments, like oh dear goodness gracious, ewww! Did not make me feel comfortable at all! I had a biopsy.
in Bham Al |
She missed a cyst shown to be suspicious on my breast and lacerated a wrong spot. I returned to her office to repeat the same procedure within a few minutes and was told it would be in 5 days. I was given another appointment. I worried for 5 days. This visit was the most painful procedure I have ever endured... Biopsy taken. Face down on table, breast pulled thru hole, feet and hands clamped down. No numbing! A machine which sounded like a wooden drill took the sample. Pain! I changed doc!!!
Have you seen Dr. Susan B. Winchester, MD?
Are you Dr. Winchester?

Compare Dr. Winchester

Dr. Winchester's Care Philosophy

Dr. Winchester says...

Through extensive sub-specialty training and research, Dr. Winchester focuses on and offers to her patients the latest in standard of care treatment for breast care.  She incorporates Hidden Scar and Oncoplastic surgery techniques whenever possible to minimize patient scarring after surgery thereby improving patient results and increasing their confidence.  Diagnosis is performed in the office via needle biopsy avoiding unnecessary surgery to determine what abnormality is present and to plan how to treat prior to undergoing surgery.  Oftentimes biopsies are performed on the same day as the patient's initial appointment and, if possible, results are conveyed the same day.  It is important to the entire team at Birmingham Breast Care that we incorporate a "high tech, high touch" approach to caring for our patients throughout the entirety of their treatment.

Dr. Winchester's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in General Surgery
  •  Board certified in General Surgery
  •  Malpractice claims in Alabama not available

Dr. Winchester has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Alabama.

Why It Matters: Dr. Winchester's Board Certifications

• Inflammatory Breast Cancer
  • Invasive Breast Cancer
  • Invasive Ductal Carcinoma
  • Invasive Lobular Carcinoma
  • Lobular Carcinoma in Situ (LCIS)
  • Locally Advanced Breast Cancer

Georgia Baptist Hospital

Completed in 1985

Brooklyn Caledonian Hospital

Completed in 1989

Dr. Winchester does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Winchester and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• General Surgery