Dr. Susan Senft, MD

OphthalmologyFemaleAge 66

Dr. Susan Senft, MD is a Ophthalmology Specialist in Kailua Kona, HI and has over 42 years of experience in the medical field. She graduated from George Washington U, School of Medicine medical school in 1979. She is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Senft to book an appointment.

Dr. Senft

Island Eye Care Inc

75-1028 Henry St Ste 200 Kailua Kona, HI 96740

Compare Providers

Quickly compare more Ophthalmology Specialists in your area

2 board actions Found
  • Disciplinary action in another state (12/4/2020)View details
  • Falsifying license renewal form (2/13/2020)View details
Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Hawaii

Check Dr. Senft's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Senft's Top Procedures and Conditions

Glaucoma Surgery

Dr. Senft performs Glaucoma Surgery more than 94% of her peers

Dr. Senft performs this procedure more than 94% of her peers

Visual Field Defects

Dr. Senft treats Visual Field Defects more than 93% of her peers

Dr. Senft treats this condition more than 93% of her peers

Rating Includes other areas of care:

• Scotoma

• Corneal Ulcer
  • Dacryoadenitis
  • Degenerative Disorders of Globe
  • Diplopia
  • Drooping Eyelids (Ptosis)
  • Dry Eyes
  • Repair of Entropion or Ectropion
  • Repair of Eye Laceration
  • Retinal Detachment and Retinal Tear
  • Retinal Vein Occlusion
  • Retinopathy of Prematurity (ROP)
  • Senile Cataracts
  • Uveitis and Iridocyclitis
  • Visual Field Defects
  • Vitreous Hemorrhage

Dr. Senft accepts

Dr. Senft accepts the following insurance:

National (BlueCard) PPO
HealthyBlue 2.0
HealthyBlue Advantage
Hawaii Medical Service Association (HMSA)
CompMED
Federal Plan 87
Health Plan Hawaii HMO
HMSA Akamai Advantage (PPO and PPO SNP)
Preferred Provider Plan PPO
QUEST Integration
Vision HMO
Vision PPO

Dr. Senft's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Senft

3.1

Dr. Senft?
  • Office environment (23)
  • Wait times (7)
  • Long wait times (27)
  • Office environment (11)
NO WAY! GET A SECOND OPINION If she tells you that you need surgery. I Just wanted to update my eye prescription before traveling. My appointment was at 11:30 am. Around 12:15 I was ready to walk out but was finally called. A young lady came in and did my eye examine. I was told that my eyesight hadn't changed from the bifocal glasses that I had with me. She then said that I would need to see the Dr.. When Dr. Sneft arrived, she had a a very terse, direct approach which was not very comfortable for me. After a quick eye check she told me that I had "Angle closure glaucoma" and would need eye surgery right away. She handed me information on the subject. She then ask me to read from were I would read a book or etc. She said I would need new bifocals, even though I was told by the first young lady that I didn't need to change anything. Dr. Sneft went on to tell me that she would also take care of the cataracts. She came across as if the surgery needed to be done as soon as possible. I
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Long wait times
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Feb 25, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Susan Senft, MD?
When I was vacationing in Hawaii, I experienced a bout of floaters that looked like a black snow storm. Dr Seft made time after hours to see me and spent a long time examining me and contacted a retina specialist personally to discuss my case. She was very thorough and caring and made sure it was not a retina detachment before letting me go. Also made sure the very busy dr Ng, the retina specialist would see me as a precaution. Thanks to dr Seft, I was reassured and felt my vision was not in danger.
Linda – Feb 11, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Susan Senft, MD?
My visit was exceptional. I had an eye emergency that was taken care of immediately. The staff and Dr. Senft should highly be considered for your next eye care visit. I am so grateful for the level of professionalism and care I experienced.
Marlene Correia- Martinez – Dec 05, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Susan Senft, MD?
Following, cataract surgery of my left eye by another Ophthomologist , I experienced extreme blurriness and ascertained that my dioctor was out of state and could not see me in a timely manner. I was referred to Dr. Senft and was able to arrange an appointment within a day or two. She immediately set out to determine the cause of my vision impairment, inserted a "contact lens bandage," and started me on a regiment of various eye-drop medications. She then proceeded to monitor my progress with three consecutive office visits including detailed consultations each time to explain her approach to treating the problem. Although no definitive cause for my eye issue has yet to be determined, I feel completely confident that I am in good hands with Dr. Senft. While wait times in the office may seem occasionally lengthy, rest assured she is taking the time to treat her patients with utmost care which you, too, will receive and appreciate. I highly recommend Dr. Susan Senft.
May 01, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Susan Senft, MD?
During our vacation from Oregon, I experienced what I feared might be a detached retina. This is an emergency situation, and it was Saturday night. It takes an specialist in ophthalmology to discern the diagnosis, and emergency departments at Hilo and Kona had no eye MD's on staff. A pharmacist gave us Dr. Senft's name to call. Amazingly, she answered, and made a special trip that night at 10:00 to see me at her office! She was wonderful, caring, highly trained -a doctor in the highest sense
Marcy Houle in Portland, OR – Jun 07, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Susan Senft, MD?
Dr Senft saved my vision, when others would not take me as a patient. She is very knowledgeable, and a good person overall. Her staff on the other hand.... They need to be more cordial and better listeners. God bless Susan!
  • Staff wasn't friendly
  • Long wait times
Jim Allegretti in Kurtistown, Hawaii – Mar 21, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Susan Senft, MD?
Very likely! My optometrist recommended Dr. Senft for a Narrow Angle procedure. I asked friends who they recommended and they all said Dr. Senft. The laser procedure was quick and painless. I no longer need to apply pressure on my eyes to stop the constant dull, sore, pressure pain. Immediately after the procedures my eyes felt relief and comfort. I live 2 hrs from any hospital. In an emergancy it would be impossible to find a driver and arrive in time to save my eye sight. Thank you Dr. Senft.
Dorothea in Na’alehu, HI – Jan 07, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Susan Senft, MD?
Wait forever. 3 hours waiting 10 minutes to be seen. Over booking patients. Waiting room too enclosed.
Los Angeles, CA – Jun 28, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Susan Senft, MD?
Wonderful experience so far...my daughter was having eye problems and the doctor had things figured out in an hour...I plan on seeing Dr Senft also..
Honolulu, HI – Jun 15, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Susan Senft, MD?
Outstanding and exceptional care. I highly recommend anyone in need of eye care/treatment, to see Dr.Susan Senft. She came highly recommended by the Community Hospital; where I was diagnosed with a corneal abrasion, and completely blind in my left eye after my daughter's fingernail sliced it open. Island eye care got me in first thing Monday morning and had me fixed up by Wednesday. If it wasn't for her knowledge and expertise I might have lost my sight. Thank you.
Tonya M. in Wasilla, AK – Jun 01, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Susan Senft, MD?
DO NOT waste your time with this provider. Wait time to see Dr. can be greater than 2 1/2 hours, always trying to up-sell to make as much money as possible, does not provide itemized bills, billing inquiries not addressed and no return phone calls, Dr. does not adequately explain costs, details on procedures, consistently minimizes patient concerns and questions. STAY AWAY FROM THIS PROVIDER!!
Kailua Kona, HI – Apr 18, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Susan Senft, MD?
Professional and very thorough in explaining my situation, in an easily understandable manner. She fit me into her already full schedule, which I greatly appreciated. Basis for low score on office environment due to small cramped waiting rooms. Using unsanitary public key to access restroom was oft putting. Office decor (colors, old silk flowers, lighting, Formica) is out dated and gives impression professional staff/equipment hasn't kept up to date either. Invest in interior designer.
Debra G in Boise, ID – Mar 06, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Susan Senft, MD?
While in Kona, my husband experienced a detached retina. Dr. Senft was amazing, she came into the office after hours, she explained every detail of the examination and answered all of our questions, she immediately put my husbands mind at ease. Before we left her office she had us booked with a retina specialist. I believe if it was not for Dr. Senfts care and dedication to her profession my husband would have lost his eye. We highly recommend Dr. Senft!
Bill in British Columbia, Canada – Feb 01, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Susan Senft, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Senft?

• Ophthalmology