Orthopedic Surgery  |
Dr. Stuart Fischer, MD
Dr. Stuart Fischer, MD is an orthopedic surgery doctor who practices in Summit, NJ. He is 67 years old and has been practicing for 42 years. Dr. Fischer is affiliated with Overlook Medical Center.

33 Overlook Rd Ste 301

Summit, NJ 07901

• EmblemHealth
  • Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey
  • Oxford Health Plans
  • QualCare

Learn about Dr. Fischer

See how frequently Dr. Fischer performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Hip Sprain
Osteoarthritis
Knee Disorders

Dr. Fischer's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Fischer "Center for Ambulatory Surgery (Mountainside, NJ)"

Accredited by: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery*

• Coccyx or Sacrum Fracture
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • De Quervain's Disease
  • Elbow Bursitis
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Femur Fracture
  • Foot Fracture
  • Foot Sprain
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Ganglion Cyst
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL) Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Lupus
  • Muscular Dystrophy (MD)
  • Non-Traumatic Rupture of Achilles Tendon

• Synovial Biopsy
  • Trigger Finger Release
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate
  • Wrist Fusion

No malpractice history found for New Jersey.

• Columbia University College Of Physicians and Surgeons
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1979
  • New York Presbyterian-Columbia
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1980

• American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Achievement Award, 2012

Dr. Fischer does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Fischer and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Fischer's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Fischer to family and friends
Dr. Fischer's Performance
in Mountainside, NJ |
My Internist, Dr Daniel Preston,(who I have great faith in), suggested I consult Dr Stuart Fischer for a hip injury while in the hospital awaiting treatment. Dr. Fischer responded quickly and professionally in a caring, comforting, and efficient manner. He took full charge of the situation, providing thorough information, calming both my wife and me ,and conducting the hip replacement operation . His follow up was amazing. We never felt alone nor neglected.. I am walking again! Great staff!
in Scotch Plains, NJ |
I have had 2 procedures performed by Dr. Fischer. 1-Orthoscopic surgery on my left shoulder approx. 3 years ago. Tears in my rotator cuff caused by bone spurs. He shaved down the bone, allowing the tears to heal. 2-Orthoscopic surgery on my left knee a month ago. Major tear in meniscus. He cleaned out the tear and put clean edge on meniscus, as well as cleaning out arthritis. Full strength with no pain after both surgeries.
in Point Pleasant Boro |
I was introduced to Dr. Fischer in June of 2017 when I went to his office for a consultation for an issue I was having with my left hip. From the moment I met Dr. Fischer I knew I was in good hands. He thoroughly answered all my questions and I never felt rushed. Full hip replacement surgery was performed In September 2017. The results were amazing. I am back to all my activities and am pain free. The only regret I have is that I waited so long to have the issue diagnosed and taken care of.
in Berkeley Heights, NJ |
I have known Dr. Fischer for a long time. He is kind, caring and at the top of his game. In addition, he spends the time you need with him. I have never felt rushed and he always thoroughly answers all of my questions. I feel comfortable and confident in his care. When I made the decision to have a total knee replacement, who to perform the surgery was a given. He didn't push or rush me with that decision either. He only said, "I would know when I was ready". And he was spot-on with that!
in South Plainfield, NJ |
Doc Fischer is simply the best! He did my left hip total replacement in 2006, my left rotator cuff repair in 2015 and my right hip total replacement this past August. I’ll be back at work in five weeks. His offices are ones you wish all doctors had. The waiting area is calm and quiet. Never a mass of patients waiting. His staff are happy, polite, knowledgeable and efficient. Whether it’s your first procedure or the next of many, consider and trust Doctor Stuart J. Fischer.
in Cranford, NJ |
My experience has been life changing! Dr. Fischer and his staff are informative, patient and helpful. After my hip replacement surgery, I am mobile, have no pain and am looking forward to living again! I would highly recommend Dr. Fischer!
in South Amboy, NJ |
Suggested by a friend; he did my total hip replacement and I'm extremely satisfied; excellent surgeon you can speak to with ease and confidence, wonderful staff and bedside manners; would highly recommend him to family and friends.
in Westfield, NJ |
Dr. Fischer performed a total hip replacement for me a month ago. I know I've been in good hands. My incision is small and just about completely healed. Dr. Fischer has a great bedside manner and I would highly recommend him.
in Westfield, NJ |
Dr. Staurt Fischer is a great doctor, very caring and always willing to help. Also a great surgeon with a terrific personality and bedside manner.
in Toms River, NJ |
What an amazing doctor/surgeon! The trust and ease you feel when meeting Dr. Fischer and his staff. They truly care about their patients!! He did a total hip replacement on me and I couldn't be happier with the results. I highly recommend Dr. Fischer!!
Schenectady, NY |
My mother was referred to Dr. Fischer for a total hip replacement. She was in tremendous pain, suffering from a fracture that was not healing properly. Dr. Fischer not only successfully performed the surgery (with a remarkably small incision), he also spent time addressing her anxiety with regards to post-operation pain and recovery. He has a wonderful bedside manner (a rarity these days), and truly cares about his patients. I recommend him without hesitation!
in Dingmans Ferry, PA |
I just had my second hip replaced with Dr. Fischer, five days ago, and my progress is remarkable, as it was the first time. Home in a day, getting around, minimal pain with little difficulty. My incision was so small on the first one, you can barely notice it. The second is even smaller. The man is an expert at this, preps you well, works well with you to assure a high quality result. I wouldn't go anywhere else for anything with orthopedics.
in Cranford, NJ |
I had hip replacement surgery on March 1,m 2017 with Dr. Fischer and I have to say my whole experience with him & his staff was great. Up until the day of surgery I was so comfortable with him. He answers all your questions & makes sure you understand what will take place. I would highly recommend Dr. Fischer for his compassion and professional demeanor. Don't hesitate.
in Hillside, NJ |
He is a excellent surgeon. Great bedside manner. Explains everything in a language you can understand. Excellent office staff. Very helpful
Dr.Fischer believes in the conservative approach to treating ailments. I tried physical therapy before having rotator cuff surgery. Dr. Fischer explained the surgery and recovery period very thoroughly and patiently. Following surgery, he was very willing to answer all my questions and encouraged me to call if I had more.
Hoboken, NJ |
I had surgery for a ruptured achilles tendon. Dr. Fischer was very knowledgable and patient when explaining my injury and my surgical procedure - even showed me videos. Recovery and rehab have been exactly as he described and my scar looks surprisingly good. The office staff is very helpful.
in Essex Fells |
Had my first surgery of any kind at age 46 after being very active my entire life. Needless to say I was nervous about the surgery and more important how I would feel after. After two weeks I feel great and am back to light exercising with no pain whatsoever. I am glad that I had the surgery and would highly recommend Dr. Fischer to anyone.
in south plainfield |
He is a great surgeon and knows everything about orthopaedics. he did a full hip replacement and my two knees full replacement, I would recommend he to my family and friends.
in KENILWORTH,NJ |
DR.FISCHER IS A TRUE PROFESSIONAL IN ALL ASPECTS.THIS REVIEW IS ON BEHALF OF MY MOTHER,WHO RECENTLY HAD HIP REPLACEMENT SURGERY.NOT ONLY A GREAT ORTHOPEDIC SURGEON,BUT HIS BEDSIDE MANNER AND SENSE OF HUMOR MADE A DIFFICULT SITUATION VERY BEARABLE.THANK YOU DR . FISCHER
in Berkeley Heights, NJ |
Dr Fischer has been our orthopedist for over 20 years. He is confident, kind, and reassuring. My Nov 2nd knee replacement was a breeze due to the sound info and advice I received from Dr Fischer. He continues to be available for questions, and offers sound medical advice based upon his years of experience and the needs of each patient.
in Green Brook, NJ |
I was able to make my initial consultation with Dr Fischer within a week after my phone call. Dr Fischer and his staff were very thorough. My wife and I spent 3 hours with them. We met in early September; surgery on 10/5; as of 1 month post surgery my hip joint pain is gone, I have been off Oxycontin for 3 weeks and only taking extra strength Tylenol and starting to walk without a cane. I have been able to return to my business on a limited basis 2 weeks post surgery. I expect to be 100% soon
in New Jersey |
In April 2014 I had replacement surgery on my left knee.  I then had right knee replacement surgery in July 2016. Dr. Stuart Fischer performed both surgeries. I was very pleased with his service.  I am a senior citizen, and I recovered quickly.  The scars are very thin and cover only the knee area . I'm able to walk at a very good pace with no cane. Dr. Fisher is a doctor you can talk to. He's very concerned and  thorough. The staff was very pleasant and efficient. I highly recommend Dr. Stuart
in Summit, NJ |
I had a total hip replacement in July 2016 and after ten weeks was walking really well, had finished with physical therapy and was completely pain-free. Not only is Dr. Fischer a skilled surgeon - I had no bruising whatsoever - he also has great patient rapport. From the initial consultation, through the procedure and post-surgical follow-up, Dr Fischer was caring, courteous and took time to explain everything in detail. I would absolutely recommend him to anyone contemplating hip surgery.
in Newark, NJ |
First went to Dr Fishers office 10/26.15. It just so happens to be that he was the third doctor I had been to see and I new right away that this is where I should be .From the exceptional knowledge of the staff and caring and understanding of Dr fisher is truly a blessing that I found there number. I have been to many doctors and the only doctor that changed my life was Dr Fisher. I had a total hip replacement on 7/20/2016 and 5 weeks later im a different person.
in Maplewood,NJ |
Other family members have been patients of Dr. Fischer. When I needed a total knee replacement,I consulted him. I had a very positive experience with the office staff, at the hospital and the follow-up office visits after surgery at the end of May, 2016. Dr. Fischer is a skilled surgeon and also a very caring person. I highly recommend Dr. Fischer.
in Newark, NJ |
I had had an injury to my hip was in alot of pain went to thw hospital many times was told i had soft tissue damage to my abductor muscle.Months had went by and the pain had just seem to get worse i had started to do some research on my symptoms and started to look for a specialest for my condition i am so happy i found dr.fisher and his staff he was so friendly and really took the time to evaluate me and my condition and further more help me come to terms with what was gonna have to be done
in Union, NJ |
I had a total hip replacement 7/10/2015. I had a total knee replacement 7/5/2016. Strongly recommend Dr. Fischer. Looks like the quality of my life is going to nearly 100%. Its been 4 weeks since I've had total knee replacement. I am walking comfortably without use of either canes or crutches. The doctor is supported by an excellent staff. I can't get over how fantastic Dr. Stuart is. Zero problems with hip replacement July 2015.
in Plainfield, NJ |
relatively young and healthy athlete...needed a full hip replacement...Dr answered all questions I had pre surgery..was home less than 20 hours after procedure. used a walker for 2 days..a cane for about a week. scar is surprisingly small. overall pleasant experience
in summit, nj |
Dr. Fischer replaced my hip on May 25 and I was walking without a cane in less than 3 weeks. He was always available if I needed to speak to him. If I ever need another orthopedic operation, I will surely go to Dr. Fischer. A very caring and talented surgeon.
in Westfield, NJ |
Dr. Fischer replaced my left hip about three weeks ago. I am so totally relieved and happy! Dr. Fischer is extremely thorough and caring. Every aspect of the whole procedure went smoothly. This is actually the second operation I underwent with him, since he replaced my right hip about seven years ago, and that joint is still going strong, as well. Dr. Fischer has given me a new lease on life, two times over.
in New York, NY |
I'm a stickler for being kept waiting - I arrived 10 minutes before my 9:30 appointment to fill out paperwork. The office is clean and pleasant, as were the front office employees. I was called in by a staff member and sat in a exam room, door wide open and in plain view of all Doctors and staff. 35 minutes later, I'm still waiting in the same room and no one has bothered to check in. I'd probably still be there if I hadn't gotten up and left. Poor, poor service.
in NJ |
Dr. Fischer performed a total left hip replacement on me 2-10-16, and I was walking without a limp or any pain through hilly Portugal 9 weeks later. Effort in physical therapy is very important to your recuperation and results, but in my case the complete absence of pain in the new hip, and lack of complications from surgery, made my PT just a matter of working out as hard as I could. I and my wife were continually impressed with Dr. Fischer and his staff, and the team at Overlook Hospital.
in Newark, NJ |
Went to see Dr Fischer, recommended by a colleague, for what I thought was a minor ankle injury to find a very quick diagnosis of an Achilles rupture. He knew immediately with a few tests and I was in surgery in less than a week. Would highly recommend him to anyone. Staff is also very friendly.
in Westfield, NJ |
Very Professional. Dr Stuart Fischer performed a hip replacement. My surgery went very well and the scare for the surgery sight is short and narrow. His office staff is wonderful. Dr Fisher will answer all questions, and never felt rushed.
in Hillside, NJ |
Very Professional. Dr Stuart Fischer repaired my Achilles tendon. My surgery went very good and the scare for the surgery sight looks amazing. His office staff is wonderful
in Summit, NJ |
Dr. Fischer has played a huge role in my well-being and has helped me to lead an active life. I have a physical job and try to stay active with exercise. I've had many work and sports related injuries as well as pinched nerves and the usual things that come up in life. Dr. Fischer is always conservative, highly knowledgeable, and has excellent interpersonal skills. He has performed arthroscopic surgery on my knee and treated numerous physical ailments. You won't find a better orthopedic doctor.
in New Providence, NJ |
I went back to him for my second knee replacement, so I recommended him to myself! very calm about guiding me to make a decision on the surgery (v. continuing to postpone).
Have you seen Dr. Stuart Fischer, MD?
Are you Dr. Fischer?